Author Topic: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography  (Read 37229 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography: Thick as a Brick Live in Iceland
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2020, 10:09:03 PM »
:tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Jethro Tull: The String Quartets (2017)
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »
The last official release by Ian Anderson is a collection of Jethro Tull music arranged for string quartet.  The arrangements by Ian's longtime collaborator John O'Hara are true to the Classical idiom, augmented by occassional appearances by Anderson and O'Hara themselves.

Jethro Tull: The String Quartets (2017)

In the Past (Living in the Past) 4:10
Sossity Waiting (Sossity, You're a Woman/Reasons for Waiting) 4:45
Bungle (Bungle in the Jungle) 3:49
We Used to Bach (We Used to Know/Bach Prelude C Major) 4:54
Farm, the Fourway (Farm on the Freeway) 3:44
Songs and Horses (Songs from the Wood/Heavy Horses) 3:53
Only the Giving (Wond'ring Aloud) 1:58
Loco (Locomotive Breath) 4:33
Pass the Bottle (A Christmas Song) 3:02
Velvet Gold (Velvet Green) 4:06
Ring Out These Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells) 3:56
Aquafugue (Aqualung) 5:13

----------

The Carducci String Quartet

Matthew Denton - Violin
Michelle Fleming - Violin
Eoin Schmidt-Martin - Viola
Emma Denton - Cello

Ian Anderson - Flute, Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin
John O'Hara - Orchestral Arrangements, Celesta, Piano

----------

We've had Jethro Tull music played by an orchestra, but here we get something which I consider much cooler; arrangements for string quartet.  I like Classical music, and sure, the power of a Beethoven Symphony performed by a full orchestra can totally kick your ass; but I'm just as impressed, probably moreso, by chamber music.  Having 100 players gives you tons of potential, but what can you do with just four?  There's nowhere to hide, every player has to be on fire, on top of their game.  In that way, it's more like a Rock and Roll band.  I just thought of that.  Perhaps that's why I like chamber music so much, and prefer it to full-blown orchestral music.

Anyway, John O'Hara has been the keyboard player for both Jethro Tull and Ian's touring band since the dissolution of Jethro Tull, and his arrangements here benefit from both his Classical background and his obvious familiarity with the Tull Repertoire.  What I like is how the arrangements serve both purposes.  We move seamlessly from true classical motifs with the string quartet serving up Jethro Tull music as vigorously and passionately as they would a Bach partita, to sharing the stage with Ian's flute or voice, or O'Hara's keys.  They don't just become "the backing band" in these times, however; after all, the continuo in a concerto still has some significant work to do.  In fact, many of the tracks remind me of one of my favorite albums, which is a collection of Mozart flute quartets with Jean-Pierre Rampal on flute and Isaac Stern on violin.  To the uninitiated, a flute quartet is not (usually) a piece for four flutes.  It is a string quartet but with one of the violin parts played instead by a flute.  Flute, violin, viola, and cello.  In this setting, the flute and violin share "co-lead" duties much of the time, but the natural difference in sound between the two instruments results in different colors than one could get with a regular string quartet.  The best ones have plenty of opportunities for all four players to shine, and of course Mozart was one of the best.  And I daresay, O'Hara has done an admirable job capturing a similar approach.  There are plenty of moments where it feels more like a "flute quintet", which is not a standard format, but if it were, it would be what you get here.  Flute, two violins, viola, and cello.

I do have to be fair and mention that Ian's occassional vocals, while not in any way offensive, feel a bit out of place.  Ian I'm sure was revelling in this opportunity to play Jethro Tull music in a different setting, with a different type of "band" to back his flute and voice, and just couldn't help himself.  I know, I just got done saying that that's not what's happening here -- and it's really not -- but if someone is singing and there are four instruments playing the music, the instrumentalists will naturally take a supporting role.  But it is only once in a while, a verse here or there.  The vast majority of the album is instrumental.

So what's with the track titles?  Ian says:

"In order to differentiate between the titles of the original tracks and these reworked arrangements, I decided to give them rather cryptic names for these versions.  The publishing and record royalty payments get very complicated when the same song title applies to different albums, performers and writers. Better therefore, to avoid confusion with these pseudonyms.  Although you are probably confused now, too.  Sorry about that."

----------

Ian also says:

John O’Hara and I have worked on various orchestrations and performed many orchestral concerts in several countries over the last fifteen years.

A couple of years ago, I came up with the idea of recording a dedicated SQ album in a contemporary but “Classical” setting together with my own brief appearances.  Having discussed this with John at various points during tours, we started in earnest by jointly choosing some potential tracks to work on.

It has really been a lot of fun to work on this project.  The Carducci Quartet provided a spirited and committed performance, without which all would have been futile.  And, I only had to pay for lunch once as they brought sandwiches.  Bless.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography
« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2020, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm off tomorrow. I'll hit Homo Erraticus then.

OK.. Ouch. I think you'd have to be a hardcore Ian Anderson fan to really enjoy this. I just didn't find it all that interesting, and I don't mean to be negative at all.

The last official release by Ian Anderson is a collection of Jethro Tull music arranged for string quartet. 

Is this it, O? I'm not sitting through a string quartet. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: October 30, 2020, 03:55:51 AM »
I'm off tomorrow. I'll hit Homo Erraticus then.

OK.. Ouch. I think you'd have to be a hardcore Ian Anderson fan to really enjoy this. I just didn't find it all that interesting, and I don't mean to be negative at all.

The last official release by Ian Anderson is a collection of Jethro Tull music arranged for string quartet. 

Is this it, O? I'm not sitting through a string quartet. :lol

Really good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like Homo Erraticus.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #634 on: October 30, 2020, 05:12:13 PM »
I like Homo Erraticus. I am more in favour of Thick as a Brick 2 now that I listened to them both, but I think Homo Erraticus is a very solid record. I recall it being well received as well. I think the opening song Dogger Land and the closer Cold Dead Reckoning are probably the best songs.

I will probably post a ranking of the albums here. Thanks for the thread, I have enjoyed the experience and I think Jethro Tull will likely end up as one of my favourite artists. I have bought some albums already. That 70's stretch in particular is just amazing, but for me there was plenty to like later into their career as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #635 on: October 30, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
Thank you for chiming in.  I was wondering if anyone else even had anything positive to say about Homo Erraticus, beside myself.  Although I don't follow charts anymore, or even bands in general, I'd read that it was well received by both fans and critics, so the overwhelming negative reaction surprised me.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: October 31, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »
Positive reviews for 'Homo Erraticus'  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=44653   

A good swan song.  Anderson is in good voice.  I like the old 1-2 minute songs to break things up, there's a couple gems, and I enjoyed it. 

'String Quartets':  I could see shortened versions of 'Farm, The Fourway' ('Crest Of A Knave') and 'Velvet Gold' ('Songs From The Wood') closing out their respective albums at the time.  Not a big fan of this album overall, as the tempo is slowed down for most, and his vocals at times feel intrusive.

That said, I remember Dream Theater's 2008 concert.  Between Opeth and DT was soft music over the PA, barely audible.  Took me a few moments to realize that it was a string quartet playing a few 'Scenes From A Memory' (I believe they were 'Dance Of Eternity'/ 'One Last Time' / 'The Spirit Carries On' if my memory recalls correctly. :D)  I enjoyed it, and wish I could have found a copy of this somewhere.

Sidebar:  mentioned eons ago in another thread, I was also at that Styx 'Grand Illusion' concert Orbert attended with Ram Jam as the opening act at the old Lansing Metro Ice Arena. I didn't have a ticket, but while we were standing four feet from the doors we were hit with a massive downpour. About two minutes later they opened the doors, and everyone pushed their way in.  Dennis DeYoung was 'skating' about on the rain soaked stage.  And I still have that tour tee shirt, my first ever, since I didn't have to pay for a ticket.

And.....Wazoo Records was a used record store in East Lansing.  In the late 80s, that's where almost all of my Jethro Tull albums were purchased (or repurchased).  All in good/very good/excellent quality, but 'Benefit' and 'Stand Up' were never available <sigh>  I think back to the almost 200 LPs that I purchased there, I returned only two or three because they were in quite bad shape, and they knew me.  Ahhhh......living in the past again......
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 02:30:13 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #637 on: October 31, 2020, 11:17:04 AM »
Positive reviews for 'Homo Erraticus'  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=44653   

A good swan song.  Anderson is in good voice.  I like the old 1-2 minute songs to break things up, there's a couple gems, and I enjoyed it. 

To me, that really helped it feel like a return to form, the shorter pieces in between.  Overall, Homo Erraticus felt and sounded like a classic Jethro Tull album.  Maybe they weren't breaking any new ground, but I wasn't looking for that.  I'm fine with "more of the same" if it's just as good, or at least comparable.

I know not everyone here digs Classical music, but I guess I thought that on a prog board, people would be more open-minded.  String Quartets isn't for everyone, but I honestly don't understand at least appreciating the work and artistry that goes into creating such music.  But, as I've mentioned, I'll listen to music I don't like if it's good.  Good music is good music; genre does not matter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #638 on: October 31, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
I know not everyone here digs Classical music, but I guess I thought that on a prog board, people would be more open-minded.  String Quartets isn't for everyone, but I honestly don't understand at least appreciating the work and artistry that goes into creating such music.  But, as I've mentioned, I'll listen to music I don't like if it's good.  Good music is good music; genre does not matter.

Alright alright..jeesh! :lol

Ok so I listened to two songs. Living In the Past and Songs From The Wood/Heavy Horses. I mean, it's definitely nice enough, but it's not something I would really listen to for more than a song or so at a time.

It's better than Homo though.

And regarding Homo, I think if you're a fan already, sometimes bands reach a point where anything released is gravy, and can be enjoyed. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #639 on: November 02, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
I considered the wording of that post for longer than I should have.  Basically accusing the board of not being open-minded seemed mean-spirited, but I couldn't think of any other way of expressing it.  The whole point of the discography is to explore what there is, how it was created, in the context of the times and the personnel involved.  Something else I consider an important aspect of the discography threads (at least the ones I do) is "finding the good".  It's easy to listen to music and find things you don't like.  What's more challenging, and thus more rewarding, is finding things you like in music you don't normally listen to.  I mean, if you listen to something and can list a bunch of things you don't like about it, do you feel better?  But finding something you like in an expected place?  That's cool.  I can't help but feel good about that.  I'm not necessarily going to seek it out, might not ever listen to it again.  But hey, I liked what I heard.  That's something positive I wouldn't have otherwise experienced.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »
I have found plenty good, that I'll definitely be revisiting.

And I've given every proper Jethro Tull album a proper and committed listening. They are not in my wheelhouse, but I wanted to experience them, and I'm glad I did.

I've been knee deep in my UFO discog thread, but once that's done, I have a bunch of albums I want to revisit. I actually want to hear them all again, but I have definite faves among them.

I hope I haven't come off as negative. I've been trying to stress the positive throughout.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #641 on: November 02, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
Actually, you've been generally positive overall, and I'm glad.  Your early comments about the "damn flute" made me nervous, since the flute is clearly a major part of the Jethro Tull sound, and by extension Ian Anderson's music in general.  I'm glad that someone who doesn't like flute music in general could still find merit in the music.  That's all I'm trying to do, really, expand people's musical horizons.  For some reason, that's very important to me.

I'm pretty psycho when it comes to music, though.  I have to remind myself all the time that not everyone takes it as seriously as I do.  Actually, pretty much no one I know.  But we all have our failings, and if being over-obsessed with music is mine, I guess I can live with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #642 on: November 02, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Actually, you've been generally positive overall, and I'm glad.  Your early comments about the "damn flute" made me nervous, since the flute is clearly a major part of the Jethro Tull sound, and by extension Ian Anderson's music in general.  I'm glad that someone who doesn't like flute music in general could still find merit in the music.  That's all I'm trying to do, really, expand people's musical horizons.  For some reason, that's very important to me.

Well, like you said, good music is good music. I loved the great musicianship throughout. Some of those early albums had some tight as shit stuff going on, and I think that's great.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: November 03, 2020, 09:01:06 AM »
Due to all of the releases, one certainly can (will?) suffer through Tull/Anderson fatigue.  The discography is quite overwhelming, a clunker or four, and yet I listened to 'Wandering Man'  ;) for the first time, and found it to be more than enjoyable because of this thread.  Much better than Brian May teaming up with Kerry Ellis and other odd studio decisions that we've totally ignored over this century).  Being along for this ride after getting much of the bonus material earlier this year, and discovering additional songs after that, just getting through all the 60s and 70s material is quite the undertaking.  Add in the BBC and live releases, and all of that could have been spread out over a year.  And some quite good/excellent 'new' live stuff from that era has been put up on youtube in the past couple of months.

My wife did purchase the 'Minstrels in the Gallery' book once this got rolling, and a hardcopy of 'The Ballad of Jethro Tull' will be under the xmas tree :tup  A little video of Ian pushing the paperback version in September   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnTR8q0_f3U
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #644 on: November 03, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
"Tull/Anderson fatigue" -- I like it.

I don't actually like getting fatigued by anything, but that's a concise way to put it.  There's a lot of material, even more if you consider Ian's solo stuff, the various mutations like the symphonic stuff, string quartets, semi-acoustic stuff, countless compilations and live releases, alternate versions of things, super-deluxe Steven Wilson editions of things...  I mean, holy shit!  This discography went nearly six months.  I haven't actually checked, but that feels like a long time for a discography thread.  I shouldn't be surprised that by this point, most people are done with Ian Anderson, his sardonic approach to life and music and pretty much everything, the way he treats his bandmates, and his damned flute.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2020, 07:58:22 PM »
I'm doing the UFO Discography now going on 3 and a half months covering almost 50 albums in total. Of course half of that is running the Michael Schenker discography concurrent to UFO.

But I'm keeping a brisk pace, and have another month to go.

It's hard to know the best pace for these. I listened to every studio album at least once in this thread, but generally passed on all of the greatest hits. I dropped the needle on some of the live releases, but I checked out a lot of the links that Joe posted.

I didn't feel fatigued at all, honestly.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 04, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »
I'm pleased to have read from a few here that they checked out some of those live youtube releases.  *I* still haven't listened to all of the entire shows yet!!!!  My project for next year.

The 'fatigue'...one has/had a year or three to savor an album release, spin it numerous times, give prior releases another listen or three, and then buy a new offering.  Here it was days!  And often I'd find some overlooked or recently added concert or three to check out (and there have been some quality ones in the last couple of months).

Throw in a few 'life is what happens while we're busy making plans' moments, and.....

I've often wanted to do a Queen discography here...just because.  I can see from the Tull one the amount of time and effort and preplanning involved, and I'll pass for now (I'd  chime in on a Cooper one though ;)). 

Thank you, Orbert, for starting this, and letting me ride along.  It got me through 2020 with a mostly sane mind still intact.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:17:43 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: November 04, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »
I've often wanted to do a Queen discography here...just because.  I can see from the Tull one the amount of time and effort and preplanning involved, and I'll pass for now (I'd  chime in on a Cooper one though ;)). 

It's a lot of work. I know you sat out the UFO thread, but holy shit, it's a ton of work. But most of it you can do before hand. The biggest task is formatting the album artwork, tracklists, and lineups. That takes a while to do.
The text is the easy part, depending on how you want to present it.

I would definitely follow a Queen one if you did it!

I would do Alice Cooper Discography And Listening Party Thread. But not for a while.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #648 on: November 07, 2020, 06:20:02 PM »
Hey Jingle, you can update the OP.  The Jethro Tull Discography is (finally!) done.  We're just lingering in the bloody aftermath at this point.

O, Just wanted to make an official THANK YOU post for doing this. I realize they are not really in my wheelhouse, but I have always been somewhat intrigued by Jethro Tull. I know they were great musicians, and when they rocked it was really good. But I had no idea where to start.
Chronologically worked best, and I am very glad I committed to this thread.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #649 on: November 07, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, TAC.  :)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2020, 06:19:24 PM »
Was always a fan, but, to follow up yet again on TAC's remarks...'thank you'.

I am going to continue to post various youtube links and such, and also place them back 'where they belong'. 

For instance, to the Bostonians.....

Up To Me / Tomorrow Was Today / Hymn 43 medley from The 'Gah-den' in '71  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3i168XlIPU

'Tomorrow Was Today' was a bonus track on the 2014 anniversary release of 'War Child'.  It was not until a month or so ago when I found this little medley, which means the song was from the 'Aqualung' sessions.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
You're welcome, and by all means, please continue to post if you have something to contribute!  I've been checking out Tull concerts on YouTube, as well as interviews and stuff (which I should have done more of during the discography) and it's all great.  I think the person who got the most out of this discography was me.  I liked Jethro Tull before, but other than listen to a handful of their albums over and over, hadn't really dug into them before.  I've been converted.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »

Up To Me / Tomorrow Was Today / Hymn 43 medley from The 'Gah-den' in '71  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3i168XlIPU

You rang??

Awesome. Listening now. I love researching old shows that played in my area back in the day. You give me a bootleg from the Garden and I'm on it! :metal

When I was going to shows, the Garden was pretty light on shows. The Worcester Centrum really took a lot of those shows. I only saw three shows at the old Garden. U2 in '87, Alice in '88, and Aerosmith in '89.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: November 19, 2020, 06:05:05 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5l_iNj67Z4   

Had never seen any of The Stones 'Rock n Roll Circus'.  Interesting to see Lennon and Harrison as part of this, and Tull doing 'Song For Jeffrey' with then very temporary guitarist Tommy Iommi.  Oh, the 60s..... :D

And....here's a full concert from The Gah den, November '72, second night.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nIpEYhurpM&t=3027s
(includes four songs from the 'failed' Chateau d'Isaster sessions from two months prior)
Thick As A Brick (incl. keyboard instrumental, flute solo (incl Animelee), news & weather reports, drum solo)
Cross-Eyed Mary / Left Right /Audition/ Aqualung / Wind-Up / No Rehearsal / Guitar Solo / Locomotive Breath / Hard-Headed English General / Wind-Up (reprise)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:21:00 AM by DragonAttack »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #654 on: November 30, 2020, 04:38:41 AM »
Sooooo late to the party, but I just wanted to say that I heard the Christmas album and I loved it. Immediate addition to my December playlist, for sure.

I also followed the thread here and there, it's always nice to read about music, and I tried as I said to get back into the classic albums, but.... I didn't.

Make no mistake, there's nothing wrong with their albums, and on paper the band is perfectly fine for my tastes - good musicianship, some good folkish element, they anyway inspired Maiden etc etc.... but I didn't really connect with the albums.

There's nothing wrong with them, it's not that Minstrel or Passion Play or Thick are bad - I can go through them, it's just that the spark isn't there. It either grabs you or it doesn't. For example early this spring / summer I got the idea "hey, why don't I finally listen to Bruce Springsteen?".... and I was floored. Big fan now. This thread gave me the same idea, "how about I explore properly Jethro Tull's music this time?" and the same connection wasn't there. I'll just have to accept they're not a band for me.

Still, as I said, bring on the Christmas album in full rotation for the next month!  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: December 13, 2020, 12:34:02 AM »
A new upload this month,  Munich, February 1981 during the 'A' tour'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgX_TLFwdI4&t=4075s

Slipstream Intro/ Black Sunday/ Crossfire/Songs From The Wood/ Hunting Girl/ The Pine Marten's Jig/Dun Ringill/Fylingdale Flyer/Heavy Horses/Band Introduction
Skating Away.../Flute Instrumental / Solo (incl. Soiree)/ Trio Instrumental/ Keyboard Solo/ Something's On The Move/ Uniform/Drum Solo/Protect And Survive/ violin solo / Instrumental / Protect and Survive (reprise)/Too Old To Rock'N'Roll/ Bungle In The Jungle/ Guitar Solo/Aqualung/ Locomotive Breath/Instrumental/Black Sunday (reprise)/ Orchestral WarChild Theme (tape)

My interest started to wain with this album's release, but this is an A- audience recording (inconsistent volume and tone on some occasions) with a high quality performance.  Tull were quite extreme in changing their setlists from album to album, and this is no exception.  But there is a scarcity of 'old' tunes that were not 'hits'.  That said, this was still quite an enjoyable listen. 

And, TAC, 'Something On The Move' is still part of the setlist  ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 12:59:12 AM by DragonAttack »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #656 on: January 05, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
finally got around to reading this thread.  Great job, Orbert!

I have only ever been a casual Tull listener, but this thread has inspired me to pick up several albums I didn't have.

And one note on the artwork for Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!: The David Gibbons to which it is credited is the same Dave Gibbons that eventually went on to collaborate with Alan Moore to create perhaps the most important and influential comic/graphic novel of all time, Watchmen.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #657 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:26 PM »
Wow, I did not know that!  That's a pretty cool bit of trivia.  I've never read the books, but I liked the movie a lot, if that counts.  I only say that because I know the movie was not universally loved, by either fans or non-fans, but I thought it was great.  A bizarre, twisted superhero story of some kind.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #658 on: January 05, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
yep, and that is what the book was really meant to be: a deconstruction of the tropes and themes you typically would see pretty much throughout the entire history of superhero comics to that point in time.  Kind of a "what would really happen if superheroes were in a "realistic" world?"  How would they act?  Would they really be as altruistic as the comics make them seem?

And yes, while I felt the movie failed to capture the overbearing tone of the comic, I thought the ending (which is MUCH different than the graphic novel) was handled better in the movie.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #659 on: January 06, 2021, 07:07:50 AM »

You rang??

Awesome. Listening now. I love researching old shows that played in my area back in the day. You give me a bootleg from the Garden and I'm on it! :metal

When I was going to shows, the Garden was pretty light on shows. The Worcester Centrum really took a lot of those shows. I only saw three shows at the old Garden. U2 in '87, Alice in '88, and Aerosmith in '89.

I share that interest (about old shows).  I lament now how many shows were within an hour of me (I went to Uconn; it was a short drive relatively to both Springfield and Worcester) that I didn't see.  I kick myself frequently in that regard.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #660 on: January 06, 2021, 08:28:13 PM »
I love researching old shows that played in my area back in the day. You give me a bootleg from the Garden and I'm on it! :metal

I share that interest (about old shows).  I lament now how many shows were within an hour of me (I went to Uconn; it was a short drive relatively to both Springfield and Worcester) that I didn't see.  I kick myself frequently in that regard.

The world is just smaller these days. The thought of travelling for multiple shows wasn't ever a real consideration. I saw a bunch of shows at the Meadowlands, but my college roommate lived in NJ, and we always planned summer visits around concerts.

A bunch of us did travel to Hartford to see Metallica in 1989, and I know I've told you that we saw Paul Stanley at the West Hartford Ballroom in '89 too, but that was because the Boston show was sold out..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #661 on: February 18, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
The "[A] LA MODE" (Steven Wilson) Edition of the album [A] has been announced.

Three CDs and three DVDs.  Original album and Live at the L.A. Sports Arena (from the [A] 1980 tour) on CD.  [A], Live at the L.A. Sports Arena and Slipstream on DVD (remixed audio).

As mentioned in the thread, this is one of my favorite Jethro Tull albums, due in part to it being the only album with Eddie Jobson on keyboards and electric violin.  The tour from the album was great, and the Slipstream concert/concept video was very well done IMO.  I'll definitely be picking this up.

Link

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #662 on: February 18, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
Having recently gotten way into U.K., I might give this a whirl.   At least revisit the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude