Author Topic: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography  (Read 37613 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: Benefit (1970)
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Okay, finished my listen.

In addition to With You There to Help Me, I loved To Cry You a Song, Play in Time and, of course, Teacher. Of the bonus songs I liked Sweet Dream and the end jam of 17. The UK version of Teacher was cool, but I still like the U.S. version better.

Overall, an interesting and mostly enjoyable album. Like I said, I really loved what I highlighted and was just kinda flat with the rest.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »
I wasn't that impressed either, my first couple of listens.  It seemed like more of the same from Stand Up, but not as interesting, possibly because it wasn't as novel or fresh.  But upon further listens, I started noticing the arrangements and the production, and of course the excellent musicianship.  I think that musicially, it's another step forward for the band, even if the results don't really have the "wow" factor.  As Anderson himself points out, it's a darker, heavier, more guitar-driven album.  I don't have a problem with that.  I think it's proggier than either of the first two albums and takes some chances, musically, and that's another way to measure the progress and evolution of a band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
I'm pleasantly surprised I'm not alone with my impression of this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:30 AM »
Added the UK version of 'Teacher' at the end of Side One for my version.  The lyrics are a bit more introspective, occasionally 'darker'.  Anderson's longing for home during/after touring are apparent throughout, the ultimate loneliness in 'Michael Collins....' family issues in 'Son', and so on.  Tull's music has always been the type I can listen to at any time of day in any type of weather, but 'Benefit' isn't.  Definitely a 'night time' album.

I had no idea that 'Stand Up' reached #1 in the UK before this thread.  For 'Benefit', the numbers were UK #3, USA #11.  I had no idea their chart success was this good before the upcoming release.  The non album single 'Witch's Promise' was #4 in the UK with (surprisingly to me) 'Teacher' as the B side.  Always thought the opposite.

****Sept 26 addition*******

From the LA Forum in 1970, with 'My God' but before the 'Aqualung' LP release.  This above average bootleg was uploaded in July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGs3L5S9g7w
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:01:28 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
As others have mentioned, a dark brooding album for sure. I remember playing it in the car many years ago and when my son heard that opening eerie flutter of Ian’s flute, he said “Whoa” as in whoa this is some strange scary music.

I like it quite a lot, but I’ve always seen Benefit as kind of a transitional album for the band.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Jethro Tull Discography: Aqualung (1971)
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
Jethro Tull were becoming bigger, and were invited to perform at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival.  Unlike the earlier invitation to play Woodstock, which Ian Anderson declined, they accepted the invitation to play at the Isle of Wight Festival, their largest audience yet.  Another U.S. tour followed, and it was during this time that the growing rift between bassist Glenn Cornick and the rest of the band became apparent.  While most of the band was fairly reclusive during the tour, Cornick preferred to "socialize".  He was eventually invited to leave the band by their management.  Cornick says he was fired.  Semantics.

Anderson called upon another of his friends from the old John Evan Band, Jeffrey Hammond, to play bass.  Jeffrey's parents, prior to getting married, both had the surname Hammond, so the ever-whimsical Anderson, following the British tradition of using both parents' surnames, dubbed him Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond.

Aqualung (1971)

Ian Anderson - Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Flute
Martin Barre - Electric Guitar, Descant Recorder
Clive Bunker - Drums
John Evan - Keyboards
Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond - Bass, Alto Recorder, Backing Vocals

Dee Palmer - Orchestral Arrangments

----------

Side One: Aqualung

Aqualung 6:34
Cross-Eyed Mary 4:06
Cheap Day Return 1:21
Mother Goose 3:51
Wond'ring Aloud 1:53
Up to Me 3:15

Side Two: My God

My God 7:08
Hymn 43 3:14
Slipstream 1:13
Locomotive Breath 4:23
Wind-Up 6:01

----------

First things first.  Many consider this to be Jethro Tull's first concept album.  Ian Anderson is adamant that this is not the case.  He does say that there are some recurring themes in the lyrics, which makes sense because he tends to write about whatever is on his mind at the time.  Anderson's family and friends figure into many lyrics, and he had been thinking about God and organized religion.  Also, his wife Jennie was a photography student, and she had recently taken several pictures of homeless people.  All of these themes are present in the lyrics.  For no reason other than that he thought it would be kinda cool to do, he subtitled Side One "Aqualung" and Side Two "My God", after the first song on each side, and he arranged the song order to more or less fit into one theme or the other.  But according to Anderson, that doesn't make it a concept album, as there is no overarching concept or story.

Jennie Franks ("Jenny Anderson" on this album) has lyric credits on the song "Aqualung", otherwise all music and lyrics are by Ian Anderson.  One particular photo of a homeless man inspired Ian and Jennie to come up with a backstory for him.  Ian came up with the idea that the old man had some kind of pulmonary disease which made him wheeze, resulting in the "deep sea-diver sounds" which are his labored breathing, thus the name "Aqualung".  Ian similarly came up with the backstory for "Cross-Eyed Mary". 

Anderson thought that a painting would make a better album cover, so he commissioned American artist Burton Silverman to do the painting.  Anderson recalls posing for the painting, although Silverman has said that it is a self-portrait.  Later, Anderson admitted that the original photo by Jennie would probably have been a better choice for the cover.

Jeffrey Hammond had not actually played the bass since the breakup of The John Evan Band years earlier.  He'd been focusing on his studies as an art student.  Anderson wasn't worried about that; he wanted Hammond (or "Hammond-Hammond" as he called him) because he was a better fit for the band in terms of personality.

Aqualung has several tracks which contrast lighter, acoustic sections with heavier sections where the drums, bass, and electric guitars come in.  Yet Jethro Tull still seemed to not go "full prog" with extended musical interludes and instrumental wankery.  Some of the songs are a bit longer, but it always feels organic, that the song is longer simply because there is more to say.

The only other thing I can think of to add for now (because I'm on lunch break and also anxious to get to the discussion) is a personal note.  When people find out that I play the flute, the first thing they ask me is "Do you guys do any Jethro Tull?"  I'm proud to say that I performed "Locomotive Breath" a few times with the guys back in Michigan.  It's only possible because there's piano at the beginning, which drops out once the guitars, bass and drums come in, and that frees me up to take the flute solo.  Then the piano comes back for the jam at the end.  Great song, and great fun to play.

Aqualung was and still is Jethro Tull's most successful album in terms of sales.  It sold seven million copies upon initial release and reached #4 on the U.K. Album Chart, and #7 on the Billboard North American Pop Album chart.  When it was released on CD in 1996, it sold enough to re-enter the U.K. Album Chart and peak at #52.

----------

Ian says:

"That's the singer/songwriter side of things, where a lot of the music did come out of me strumming an acoustic guitar with a view to keeping it that way, as opposed to writing that way and turning it electric. That big title track riff came out of an acoustic jam – you've just got to have that imagination to hear that. You have to know that you can make it sing. It went on to sell and sell across the world. It's the album that broke us in countries beyond the UK and US."

From Every Jethro Tull album in Ian Anderson's own words
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:26:40 AM by Orbert »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: Aqualung (1971)
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:04 PM »
A great album, due largely to the songs nobody's ever heard of. Up to Me, Wind Up, and My God are all among the best things Tull ever did. While I'm not much of an Ian Anderson fan, his vocals really bring out the tone he was looking for, particularly in the sheer disgust he feels in My God.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »
A fantastic album and a favorite of mine for many a year. This is the first JT album where I thought Anderson's voice really worked throughout. To be honest, on the first three albums, I get a little tired of hearing his voice and trademark phrasing--his whole minstrel persona (my description) can get a bit tiring and cartoonish for my tastes. Yet on this album, it all fits.

My favorites are Cross-Eyed Mary, Mother Goose, Up to Me, My God, and Wind-Up. Aqualung, Hymn 43, and Locomotive Breath are great too, but I've heard them a bit too often on classic rock radio.

I think this is the go to Tull album for a good reason.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
I can't think of twenty songs I love more than Wind Up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »

Thanks for that. There's nothing I love more than piss flavored Cheerios!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 12:51:09 PM »
Great write up Orbert. Some tidbits in there that I’d not known about.

Growing up in the 70s, Aqualung was huge for me. It had the same impact on me that Led Zeppelin II and Dark Side of the Moon had.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »

???

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Confused here, also, at first.  But somewhat understandable because that's a somewhat odd way to phrase what I took to be a compliment, and I think Podaar misinterpreted it.

If I may:  You love Wind Up.  You love it so much that there aren't many songs you can think of that you love more.  Twenty tops.

Something like that?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2020, 01:10:54 PM »
Confused here, also, at first.  But somewhat understandable because that's a somewhat odd way to phrase what I took to be a compliment, and I think Podaar misinterpreted it.

If I may:  You love Wind Up.  You love it so much that there aren't many songs you can think of that you love more.  Twenty tops.

Something like that?

Exactly that, thank you Orbert.

Sorry for the poor phrasing  :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2020, 01:29:18 PM »
No problem. :)  I love pretty much every song in this album.  Like many my age, this album was my introduction to the band.  Maybe we'd heard of Jethro Tull before, or had heard "Boureé" or "Teacher" on the radio (I know I remember "Hey man, what's the plan, what was that you said?"), but the song "Aqualung" with its killer guitar hook and start-stop cadence was all over the radio where I was growing up.  We all went out and got this album.

I picked up one of the Steven Wilson repackages, the 2-CD version without the DVDs and 5.1 mix.  In retrospect, I should've just grabbed the full-blown version, but money was tight at the time.  Now I'm having trouble justifying the additional cost of triple-dipping.  Anyway, as with the earlier albums, there are lots of extra tracks that didn't make it onto the album, and if you love Aqualung the album and want more of the same, then the 40th Anniversary releases are great for exactly that.

A warning, first.  When Steven goes back to the master tapes, he remixes as well as remasters.  There may another guitar part, or some extra backing vocals, etc., that they ultimately decided to not include in the final mix.  Steven isn't afraid to bring some of these back.  For the most part, I like it; it's cool hearing that extra thing here or there that the band almost used.  But it's also distracting sometimes.  I know this album so well, every song, that hearing that extra guitar line sticks out.  I'm sure that he's aware of this and why he always also includes the original version of the album, just cleaned up and remastered.  So you can always choose which version you want to listen to.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 01:44:49 PM »

???

:rollin

I'm an idiot! I totally misread that. I can't imagine why my comprehension skills are so bad. Sorry, buddy!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
Nice, I can't wait to listen to this tonight.

I freaking love Aqualung (the song). I know it's a classic rock staple but I think it's an amazing song. I remember the early MTV video where I think Ian Anderson starts out on a bench or something. I remember being blown away by that clip.

I definitely recognize Cross Eyed Mary and Locomotive Breath too.

I've always been lukewarm on Locomotive Breath. I don't not like it, but it doesn't really do a ton for me.

I do like Cross Eyed Mary a lot though, and ironically, I can't stand Iron Maiden's version. I think it's one of their worst covers tbh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 06:26:29 PM »
If I remember correctly, it was still early on in Bruce's time with the band, and they recorded the song in a higher key than Bruce would have preferred. 

I like the Tull version better too; the trill on the flute doesn't have the same effect on guitar.  I love that sound at the end of the Maiden version though. It was like a freight train engine coming to a stop.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
Hey, I know Mother Goose. And Hymn 43! :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2020, 07:03:06 PM »
So I thought My God was pretty cool, but I gotta say, while I don't mind the flute embellishing the sound on top of the rest of the band, that extended flute solo almost caused me to hyperventilate. :lol
I would've definitely preferred the um..mouth organ in that spot.

Wind Up, as you guys have said was really good, and I liked Lick Your Fingers Clean. The flute playing the melody in the beginning didn't really bug me at all.

Easily the best album so far!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
Aqualung is the one Tull album I love from start to finish.  I always liked it, but Steven Wilson's remaster made it sound like 100 times better, and it elevated the album big time for me.  So many great songs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2020, 07:11:04 PM »
Ian guessed on some weird albums in the 80's.  For example on a Honeymoon Suite song.

https://youtu.be/3X2bKc-MhkI
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »
Wow, I would've never had guest that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »
Sounds good too. Cool to hear the cross pollination on genres.  Hell, Michael McDonald sang on a Honeymoon Suite song.  That shouldn't be a surprise though. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »
 :facepalm:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
 :lol

He plays on anyone's albums. Lol. Sounds good though.

https://youtu.be/Lo703mkKTWE

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2020, 09:41:21 PM »
Ian guessed on some weird albums in the 80's.

Wow, I would've never had guest that.

Owe ewe guise.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2020, 02:48:56 AM »
I knew Cross Eyed Mary from Iron Maiden, and Locomotive Breath from Helloween.

Aqualung however (the song) I must have heard it in its original form.

This is one of the few Jethro Tull albums I've actually explored, and I always knew it was one of their landmark ones anyway; maybe I'll give it another try soon  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
Speaking of Cross-Eyed Mary, Bruce and Maiden, just give the head's up when it's time to post the link to Bruce singing Revelations and Jerusalem (the Blake poem) in the cathedral with Ian.   It's mandatory listening.   ;) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2020, 09:33:33 AM »
I'm not sure where it would fit in with the Discography, if at all, but it sounds like it would be of general interest to Tull fans.  Go ahead and post it in this thread.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
As a very young teenager, along with the harder songs, it was amazing just how 'beautiful' some of the music is on this release.  It was often my 'Sunday morning, read the newspaper, anti church establishment' background music.  An album that was in just about anyone's collection that loved rock 'n roll.

To show how times have changed, here is an American 45 version of 'Locomotive Breath'.  No piano and guitar intro (not surprising for AM radio) but note the beep at 2:55, because 'balls' was too 'edgy'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYcbKV1LqU

Also in the USA, the first guitar riff of 'Aqualung' was removed (?).  I had the 8 track, the songs were all in order, but the entire stanza in 'Hymn 43' that starts with 'and the unsung Western hero' and chorus were edited out.  That part really jumped out at me when I finally bought the vinyl.

I can also remember hearing 'Mother Goose' played often on the radio.  A shame that 'Lick Your Fingers' clean didn't make it on the end of Side One.  A real treat in that 20th Anniversary release. 

I just read a sad history of the individual who did the artwork.  Will post later.  In the meantime....

http://www.tullpress.com/aquatext71.htm

**************  Sept 24 edit ************

Someone just uploaded this concert in August from the LA Forum in June of '71.  Good quality, very receptive audience, and concerts from this era of decent quality are hard to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9g2se9nT7Q

Support: Fanny, Livingston Taylor (a week later Yes would open in Edmonton...their first North America concert....)
First verified appearence of 'Hard-Headed English General'.
My God (w. flute solo, incl. Bourée), With You There To Help Me/By Kind Permission Of..., Sossity: You're A Woman/Reasons For Waiting, Nothing Is Easy, To Cry You A Song, Aqualung, Cross-Eyed Mary (w. drum solo), Wind-Up/Guitar Solo, Locomotive Breath, Hard-Headed English General, Wind-Up (reprise)

Also......'Lick Your Fingers Clean / 'Wind Up' was originally intended as the promo single.  The nonalbum A side track would not see the light of day until the 20th Anniversary box set release in '88.  A shame, as it's a fun little song.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:33:25 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2020, 02:08:12 AM »
Bit late to this but following along. I have upgraded my vinyl set up recently and am working my way through my Dad's old records. Other than the debut I have the other records (including the pop up version of Stand Up).

I've already listened to Stand Up, Benefit and Aqualung a few times but I'm going to try and listen to the debut, then chronologically through the rest.

My favourite out of the 4 so far is Stand Up, can't remember specifically why but it stood out the most.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »
One other thing; I thought I posted this but I guess I didn't:  this was recorded at Island Studios in December 1970 through February 1971.  Led Zeppelin began the recording sessions for their untitled record at that same time in that same studio (though they later moved out to Headley Grange in January, before returning in February to do overdubs.

Anderson has said that he was greatly influenced by Roy Harper and Bert Jansch on that album; both are crucial influences on the acoustic side of Led Zeppelin, so much so that it might actually be Anderson's way of indicating his being influenced by a certain aspect of Jimmy Page's playing (though he's also placed the influence earlier, before Page made any waves with Zeppelin.)

Either way, I find it mildly fascinating that if you were to go to Island Studios in December of 1970, depending on what room you went into you would see a bunch of young (Anderson was 23, Plant was 22, Page was 26) Englishmen "making history", as Derek would say. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
^
Read about that when this thread started.  Quite the group of talent in that small area (understatement)

My favorite from the album is 'My God'.  I find parts that had to have influenced Brian May of Queen for 'Brighton Rock', specifically the guitar solo.

To 'wind up' my contributions for this album, here's the long, sad story related to the artwork and the legalities.

https://theoutline.com/post/4490/jethro-tull-aqualung-cover-artist-burton-silverman?zd=1&zi=tk5evn4e

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2020, 10:34:03 AM »
Wow, that's a sad story indeed.  It's pretty much what I'd assumed, based on the few sentences about it in the Wiki articles I'd read.  There was no contract, and the fee was a flat $1500.  By not specifying what the paintings could be used for, they effectively became the property of Chrysalis Records to do whatever they wanted with them.  That's why we see the iconic image of "Aqualung" everywhere, yet Burton Silverman has never seen a penny more than that original $1500 fee.

I also wasn't surprised at how the stories behind the paintings themselves don't line up.  Silverman says the paintings were "self-portraits" based on photos taken by his wife.  Anderson says he remembers posing for them.  Interesting, then, that we also know that Jennie, Anderson's wife at the time, had taken a bunch of photos of homeless people, and supposedly the paintings were based on those.  The three stories intersect a bit in different ways, and also diverge in some important ways.  Why would Ian pose for the paintings if they were based on photos?  That question struck right away.

Memory is a funny thing.  There are things I know, things I recall quite vividly from my youth.  Yet when I get together with the guys back home, they recall certain events very differently, yet their memories are just as clear.  They absolutely believe their version of events to be the truth, since they were there and saw it with their own eyes.  I too was there, and saw it with my own eyes.  But somehow years later, our stories completely contradict each other.

What I believe is true that Silverman was paid a flat fee for the paintings and has never seen a penny beyond that.  Everyone agrees on that point.  But the origins of the paintings themselves, which is (unfortunately) tied to how much of a "claim" he can later make against any monies earned from them, are lost, just as much as the other two paintings.  The stories of Silverman, Ellis, and Anderson all diverge too much, and too much time has passed for any account to be taken as "truth".