Author Topic: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography  (Read 37756 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: Living in the Past (1972)
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
  It's notable for being one of the few pop songs in 5/4 time to chart in the U.S.  (Trivia: Name another!)

Mission Impossible Theme  ;D

Ding! Winner!

I was starting to wonder if anyone would take a shot.

There's one more that I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2020, 10:58:32 AM »
The obvious one would be Brubeck's Take Five, but I don't know whether it charted

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »
I thought about that later.  I already knew that it is the biggest-selling Jazz single (of all time!) and assumed that it had charted somewhere, but I didn't actually check until just now.  Whew!

From Wiki:

Although released as a single on September 21, 1959, "Take Five" fulfilled its chart potential only when reissued for radio play and jukebox use in May 1961, that year reaching No. 25 on the Billboard Hot 100 (October 9), No. 5 on Billboard's Easy Listening chart (October 23) and No. 6 on the UK Record Retailer chart (November 16). The single is a different recording than the LP version and omits most of the drum solo.

The single version was recorded separately the same day.

Same with "Mission: Impossible" by Lalo Schifrin.  I know it was on the radio when I was growing up, so it had to chart, but I didn't actually check, because I'm lazy.  It made #41 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1967.

:yarr

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
I don't have cool stories or artifacts like Orbert or Jammin, but this is MY first Tull record too, albeit on CD (and thus missing "Bouree" and "Teacher"). 

I LOVE these songs.  LOVE them.  This is one of my favorite Tull records, even such that it is.

I was reading the wiki page about this release, and I'm like 'WTW?'  Removing 'Bouree' and 'Teacher'?!?!  Ouch.  I get that editing for single CDs could be really problematic (with just 74 minutes available at the time), but editing down 'By Kind Permission Of' and/or 'Dharma For One', would have made more sense.

The title track received a lot of airplay at the time in the States, so decades later it surprised me that it was done before Aqualung.  'A Song For Jeffrey' is a rather harsh opening song ('New Day Yesterday' is my choice).  'Wondring Again', not used on 'Aqualung', is a nice addition.  A shame there wasn't room for 'Lick Your Fingers Clean'. 

It is a good album to have, collecting all the non LP singles and EP tracks together.  A very 'adult contemporary' collection.  I do have fond memories of it, as my best friend's Dad owned it!  Who knew that anyone over 40 could be 'hip'. ;)

Question about this and the prior two LPs:  were lyrics included in any of these? 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »
The lyrics for Thick as a Brick were included in the newspaper, in their entirety.  I'm pretty sure the lyrics for Aqualung appeared on the inner sleeve, or maybe on a separate piece of cardstock, which they did sometimes back then.  But we don't get lyrics for Living in the Past.  The book includes lots of pictures and full track credits, but no lyrics.

I was reading the wiki page about this release, and I'm like 'WTW?'  Removing 'Bouree' and 'Teacher'?!?!  Ouch.  I get that editing for single CDs could be really problematic (with just 74 minutes available at the time), but editing down 'By Kind Permission Of' and/or 'Dharma For One', would have made more sense.

I can't agree with that last part.  I get the frustration, but songs from previous albums are to me the lowest priority here.  The whole point of including extended live instrumentals is to show off your band doing extended live instrumentals.  Editing them would defeat the entire purpose.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:33:58 PM by Orbert »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2020, 03:34:05 PM »
The lyrics for Aqualung were on the inner sleeve:

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2020, 06:16:26 PM »
^
Thank you.  Seeing the pic of 'Aqualung' reminds me that I did have it.  As to TAAB, a friend bought it many years later, I recorded it, and for the life of me I don't even remember if it had the newsletter included.  <aging isn't often kind...>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2020, 07:02:23 PM »
I actually have both the initial release on reprise records and the re-release on chrysalis. The original version on reprise records contained a separate slip card with the lyrics as Orbert described. The chrysalis re-release had the lyrics printed on the inner sleeve.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
I actually have both the initial release on reprise records and the re-release on chrysalis. The original version on reprise records contained a separate slip card with the lyrics as Orbert described. The chrysalis re-release had the lyrics printed on the inner sleeve.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2020, 07:22:06 PM »
That's weird because that style of Chrysalis labels weren't used until the 80's.  (all my Pat Benatar records have that style of label)  So that might be yet another reprint with different packaging that someone at the record label came up with?   

EDIT - a quick Google search confirmed that the blue and white label wasn't introduced until 1977 and lasted through the 80's.  Cool find though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
I don't remember that inner jacket illustration!  I haven't pulled Aqualung out in so long that I don't remember the last time I even looked at it.  What a great picture!  I was watching a live Tull concert on YouTube, and every one of those guys was a total ham on stage.  John Evan was cracking me up. :lol

Jethro Tull Live at the Capital Centre 1977.  Great concert!  Great venue, too.  I saw Yes on the Union tour in 91 at that same venue, also saw Rush there on Counterparts.

Oh yeah!  The article about Silverman, the painter who got screwed (according to some), mentioned that there were three paintings: the front and back covers, and the inside gatefold that Ellis had on his office wall for a while, the only original still around since the other two were lost.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
By the way, it should be noted that it was first leg of the 1972 European tour which had Gentle Giant opening for Jethro Tull.  The two bands were a great match, as one might expect.  Both had that acoustic, almost medieval side to them, the ability to really let things rip, and both had a very theatrical way of performing onstage.  Derek Shulman, lead singer of Gentle Giant and later an executive with PolyGram Records (he signed Bon Jovi, Dan Reed Network, Cinderella, Kingdom Come, and Enuff Z'nuff among others) and Ian Anderson got to be good friends, a friendship which has lasted to this day.  They were both born in Scotland in 1947.  It was Derek Shulman who asked Ian Anderson "Whatever happened to Gerald Bostock?" prompting Anderson to think about the Bostock character, and where he might be today.  Thick as a Brick 2 is subtitled "Whatever Happened to Gerald Bostock" and explores five possible ways Gerald's life might have turned out.  But I'm getting ahead of things again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2020, 08:09:02 PM »
By the way, it should be noted that it was first leg of the 1972 European tour which had Gentle Giant opening for Jethro Tull.  The two bands were a great match, as one might expect. 

I love music touring history nuggets like this. It's one of the things I like to do, is look up old tours.

Derek Shulman, lead singer of Gentle Giant and later an executive with PolyGram Records (he signed Bon Jovi should've quite while he was ahead , Dan Reed Network who the hell is this? , Cinderella meh, but it explains the 1986 tour pairing , Kingdom Come sucks, and Enuff Z'nuff blows among others)

:)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:35 AM »
I don't remember that inner jacket illustration!  I haven't pulled Aqualung out in so long that I don't remember the last time I even looked at it.  What a great picture!  I was watching a live Tull concert on YouTube, and every one of those guys was a total ham on stage.  John Evan was cracking me up. :lol

Jethro Tull Live at the Capital Centre 1977.  Great concert!  Great venue, too.  I saw Yes on the Union tour in 91 at that same venue, also saw Rush there on Counterparts.

Oh yeah!  The article about Silverman, the painter who got screwed (according to some), mentioned that there were three paintings: the front and back covers, and the inside gatefold that Ellis had on his office wall for a while, the only original still around since the other two were lost.

That venue is a pretty popular one for live recordings.  I have at least one (I think two) live Kiss shows from there (one is in the Kissology set), and both of the AC/DC box sets (the DVD set and the rarities set) have a significant amount of live stuff recorded there across a couple of tours. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2020, 07:48:23 AM »
By the way, it should be noted that it was first leg of the 1972 European tour which had Gentle Giant opening for Jethro Tull.  The two bands were a great match, as one might expect. 

I love music touring history nuggets like this. It's one of the things I like to do, is look up old tours.

Derek Shulman, lead singer of Gentle Giant and later an executive with PolyGram Records (he signed Bon Jovi should've quite while he was ahead , Dan Reed Network who the hell is this? , Cinderella meh, but it explains the 1986 tour pairing , Kingdom Come sucks, and Enuff Z'nuff blows among others)

:)

Cinderella is one of my favorite 80's/90's rock/metal bands.  Maybe my favorite.  I love them (though not as sold on Tom Keifer solo).   I also kinda dig Enuff Z'nuff as a sort of junior Cheap Trick.   They blow without their singer (who isn't that good, but who's voice has character) but their first couple records are pretty good power pop.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2020, 08:05:21 AM »

I found this one almost accidentally.  I knew that Gentle Giant had opened for Jethro Tull at some point, having unearthed that tidbit while doing the Gentle Giant Discography, and more recently learned that it was Derek Shulman who had asked the question "Whatever happened to Gerald Bostock?"  I checked into it, and found that it was in fact the 1972 tour, so the timing was perfect to include it here.  I imagine Ian and Derek chatting, finding out that they're both Scottish but moved to England, and were actually born the same year.  They then proceeded to bond over their mutual love of Scottish Folk Music and ways to incorporate it into Rock and Roll.  When I first heard Gentle Giant, I was trying to figure out who they reminded me of, and Jethro Tull was the closest thing I could think of; an even crazier, even more adventurous and esoteric version of Jethro Tull.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
By Kind Permission Of: I love the live riffing that they do off of Beethoven’s Pathetique sonata, Debussy’s Golliiwogs Cakewalk and Rachmaninov’s prelude.

BTW, Derek Shulman also signed Dream Theater to Atco records.

But yeah, Gentle Giant and Tull both developed the idea of the rock band as minstrels and troubadours traveling the land to entertain the people, an idea that Blind Guardian sorta latched onto. Orbert rightly calls the music esoteric; another word for them is eclectic. I love how both GG and Tull whip out violins, piccolos, mandolins, triangles and whatnot, all adding to the sounds and spectacle of the show.

GG seemed to go out of their way to make their music as quirky and inaccessible as possible. Tull, on the other hand, had a Beatles-esque pop sensibility hidden behind all the madness, which I definitely appreciate a lot more. 

Tull is like prog for the unwashed masses. Even though most of their songs are shorter, they inject so much ‘stuff’ in the span of a 4 or 5 minute song. While many prog bands were experimenting with synthesizers, Tull was using handclaps and finger snaps in their songs. Who does that? No moogs for this band, we prefer the glockenspiel.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:11 PM »
All very good points!  Definitely different bands, with different sensibilities, but also many similarities.  I struggled for years to identify that element I immediately found common to both bands, that eclectic acoustic side, which we now recognize as Scottish Folk Music.  Anderson and the Shulman brothers are all Scottish, and I'm sure were exposed to a lot of it growing up.

BTW, Derek Shulman also signed Dream Theater to Atco records.

:facepalm:  I knew that, and I think I mentioned it in the Gentle Giant discography, but somehow forgot to include it here.  (I wonder if that raises his rep at all with TAC.  ;))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:22:23 AM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Jethro Tull Discography: A Passion Play (1973)
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2020, 02:34:46 PM »
In the song "Taxman" by The Beatles (George Harrison's jab at the U.K. tax system) there's the line "There's one for you, nineteen for me, 'cause I'm the Taxman" which for a long time I thought was hyperbole.  It's not.  If you lived in the U.K. in the 70's and made a certain amount of money, your tax rate could be as high as 95%.  One for you, nineteen for The Crown.  So in the 70's, it wasn't uncommon for bands and other celebrities to spend a year abroad in order to avoid the insane taxes.  If you didn't work in the U.K., The Crown can't touch your money.

So in 1973, Jethro Tull went into "tax exile".  They went to France, to the famous Château d'Hérouville, to record their next album.  This is the same place that Elton John used for Honky Château (also Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road).  Everyone from Uriah Heep to David Bowie to Pink Floyd, Cat Stevens, and The Rolling Stones recorded albums at Château d'Hérouville in the 70's.

The sessions were disatrous.  The recording conditions weren't actually that great, not up to Jethro Tull standards anyway, and the band nicknamed the studio "Château d'Isaster".  They abandoned the project, and returned to England.  Ian Anderson tossed aside most of the material they'd worked on, and instead came up with the idea of doing another concept album, another single work spread across both sides of the LP, only this time he really meant it.  He immediately began working on new material, they'd recorded it by March, and it was released on July 13 in the U.K. and July 23 in the U.S.  It was the first time that Jethro Tull had recorded two consecutive studio albums with the same lineup.

A Passion Play (1973)

Ian Anderson - Lead Vocals, Flute, Acoustic Guitar, Soprano and Sopranino Saxophone
Barriemore Barlow - Drums, Percussion, Timpani, Glockenspiel, Marimba
Martin Barre - Electric Guitar
John Evan - Backing Vocals, Piano, Organ, Synthesizer
Jeffrey Hammond - Bass Guitar, Spoken Word (on "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles")

Dee Palmer - Orchestral Arrangements

----------

My introduction to this album was on cassette tape, with only Side One and Side Two and no other credits, titles, or anything else.  That is how I consider the work, just as Thick as a Brick has different parts but it's all one piece.  But I learned while researching this album that it does have a track listing.  The timings are different between the various LP and CD releases and remasters, and sometimes the tracks themselves are divided up differently.  But this is the original LP track listing according to Wiki, edited for clarity.

SIDE ONE: A Passion Play, Part I  23:09

Act 1: Ronnie Pilgrim's funeral — a winter's morning in the cemetery  9:08
  • I. Lifebeats (instrumental) 1:14
  • II. Prelude (instrumental) 2:14
  • III. The Silver Cord 4:29
  • IV. Re-Assuring Tune (instrumental) 1:11

Act 2: The Memory Bank — a small but comfortable theatre with a cinema-screen (the next morning)  14:01
  • I. Memory Bank 4:20
  • II. Best Friends 1:58
  • III. Critique Oblique 4:38
  • IV. Forest Dance #1 (instrumental) 1:35

Interlude: The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles  1:30
  • I. The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles 1:30

SIDE TWO: A Passion Play, Part II  21:58

Interlude: The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles  2:48
  • I. The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles 2:48

Act 3: The business office of G. Oddie & Son (two days later)  9:30
  • I. Forest Dance #2 (instrumental) 1:12
  • II. The Foot of Our Stairs 4:18
  • III. Overseer Overture 4:00

Act 4: Magus Perdé's drawing room at midnight  9:40
  • I. Flight from Lucifer 3:58
  • II. 10:08 to Paddington (instrumental) 1:04
  • III. Magus Perdé 3:55
  • IV. Epilogue 0:43

----------

Historically, a Passion play depicts the final week in the life of Jesus Christ ("The Passion"), from his arrival in Jerusalem to his capture, crucifixion, and eventual resurrection.  It is sometimes referred to as an Easter Pageant.  With roots in the Catholic tradition and other Christian denominations, originally they were dramatic presentations, but gradually came to sometimes incorporate music and song to varying degrees.  Jesus Christ Superstar by Webber and Rice is a Passion play.  So is Mel Gibson's 2004 film The Passion of the Christ.

This album therefore isn't actually a Passion play, based on any known definition.  But it's somewhat related, due to its religious themes.  It is the spiritual journey of one man in the afterlife.  Like some actual Passion plays, which can be quite intense and exhausting, there is an intermission, bookended by two parts of a "lighter" non-sequitor spoken-word piece.  In this case, "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles" serves that purpose.  This "play within a play" was cooked up by Ian Anderson, John Evan, and Jeffrey Hammond.  Hammond is the narrator.

Question:  What is the practical difference between an album which is a single piece made up of smaller parts edited together in an effort to ridicule the whole concept of concept albums, and an album which is a single piece made up of smaller parts edited together but this time embracing the whole concept of concept albums?

Answer:  None, really.  All we knew is that Jethro Tull had released another album, and it was another amazing concept album, all one song.  This one's darker, with more of the themes in minor keys, and it feels more "serious" whereas Thick as a Brick had something of a more whimsical feel to it.  But there's that crazy break, "The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles".  And this one has sections with Roman numerals and subtitles (although I didn't know that until just now).  But it was generally seen as another album in the same vein, for good or bad.  It's what Jethro Tull were doing these days.

As with Thick as a Brick, response from fans and critics alike was divided, and A Passion Play generally came up short in comparison to its predecessor.  But there are champions on both sides, as one might expect.  The album only reached #13 in the U.K., but went to #1 in both the United States and Canada, the second Jethro Tull album to do so.

----------

Ian says:

"The 'step too far' album. We decamped to the Château d'Hérouville in France where Elton had recorded, and had a rotten time: technical issues, gastric bugs… we just wanted to go home. So we did, and had a frantic few weeks of writing a new album. Two pieces made it on to the War Child album and one or two morphed into something more sophisticated, but they never came to light on that album. Steve Harris [Iron Maiden] loves A Passion Play. I'm glad someone liked it!"

From Every Jethro Tull album in Ian Anderson's own words
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:29:36 AM by Orbert »

Offline Fritzinger

Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: A Passion Play (1973)
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2020, 01:33:41 AM »
Thanks for this very interesting review. I didn't know much about the history and concept of this album, although it's probably my favourite Jethro Tull album. I have to listen to it again!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2020, 05:59:31 AM »
Thanks for this very interesting review. I didn't know much about the history and concept of this album, although it's probably my favourite Jethro Tull album. I have to listen to it again!
I highly recommend Steven Wilson's remix of the thing.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
Steven Wilson has done deluxe repackages for a lot of Jethro Tull albums.  You can tell he's a fan, because he's said a few times that he only does the albums he wants to do (so everybody, please stop contacting him and asking him to do certain albums).  With Tull, there are a lot of multi-CD packages with Blu-rays or DVDs, video, 5.1 mixes, etc.

A Passion Play: An Extended Performance is nuts.  80-page book, original mixes and remixes, video, 5.1, the works.  And he even dug up and remixed the "Château d'Isaster" sessions, so you get to hear them here.  Yeah, he's a big fan.

Some may have noticed that I'm giving a lot of background to the music and how it came about, but not commenting a lot on the material itself.  This album doesn't have anything to do with taxes or the Chateau in France, and it isn't even an actual Passion play.  So I thank you for even calling this a "review".  ;D

Jethro Tull is a band I've known about for a long time, and I listened a lot to the few albums of theirs that I had, but I never really dug deeply into them, not like I did with other bands.  Many years ago, I went on a mad downloading spree and attempted to accumulate the full catalogs of pretty much every band I could think of that I liked, or were even somewhat interested in.  But that's all I have; no credits or anything.  I have to look all that up.  And in doing so, I learn about the band and the changes they went through.

So this discography is as much for me to learn about the band as it is for others.  I like knowing why the music came about the way it did.  If I was going through my album collection with someone, I would say things like "This next album was different, as the new guitarist had more of a jazz side."  That's the stuff I want to know about.  So I provide that, and leave it to the group to discuss the music, its relative merits, and what they like and don't like about it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:45:41 AM by Orbert »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
I really want to revisit this album. I remember being intrigued by the concept immediately. I have it on vinyl, but I had only spun it maybe one time. So one day after I just received a rather handsome paycheck and was at the local CD store on a buying spree, I happened to notice that the Stephen Wilson mix had just been released. The bonus material alone seemed like it was well worth the price tag so I nabbed it. But, for the last couple of years, most of my listening habits have been of the “shuffle“ variety. And I have been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull that way. Currently, I’ve got about half the catalog on my music player that I use at work. I just haven’t put APP on the player because the track separations make it a very difficult listen. But today I think I will sit down and listen to the entire piece.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »
That sounds like a plan! :tup

----------

Hey, here's another fun tidbit that I meant to include in the original writeup but ultimately cut because it's not just anectdotal; it's anectdotal to an anectdote to the album itself.  A Passion Play began with the "Château d'Isaster" sessions, which were in France for tax reasons.  But the band ended up using very little of the material created there.

In The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (the second book in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series) there's a character named Hotblack Desiato.  Hotblack Desiato is the front man for the band Disaster Area, insanely rich, and "once spent a year dead for tax reasons".  I always took this as a reference to spending a year abroad for tax reasons, which so many were doing.  The Taxman strikes again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:28:38 AM by Orbert »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #164 on: June 06, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »
I’d bought A Passion Play back in the late seventies after hearing a couple tracks off their Best Of JT compilation. It’s their weirdest album ever imo and I found it hard to get into at first. If you thought that Thick As a Brick was far afield, A Passion Play is even more so.

That bizarro ‘Hare’ piece is especially divisive, with many fans despising it. I’ve grown to enjoy it as sort of an intermission or interlude, a break from the dark music on the rest of the album. It’s reminiscent of those goofy cartoon pieces that Monty Python ran between their skits.

But as much as I love A Passion Play as a whole, I’m rather surprised that quite a few fans have this as their number one JT album.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #165 on: June 06, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »
Normal people are weird enough, and prog fans are even weirder.  There's no accounting for who prefers what, so I just accept that different people are drawn to different things.

A Passion Play is certainly a more mature work than Thick as a Brick.  It was created in a relatively short amount of time, but the group creating it had come to really gel, and I think the music reflects that.  As mentioned, we now have the original John Evan Band back together except for guitarist Martin Barre, who's been with Jethro Tull since the second album.  This lineup toured Thick as a Brick in its entirety.  So the group is tight.  It's similar to how Tales from Topographic Oceans is regarded by Yes fans.  Some see it as the epitome of what Yes was all about, a huge achievement; others can't even get through it, and they like Yes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2020, 08:19:39 AM »
Steven Wilson has done deluxe repackages for a lot of Jethro Tull albums.  You can tell he's a fan, because he's said a few times that he only does the albums he wants to do (so everybody, please stop contacting him and asking him to do certain albums).  With Tull, there are a lot of multi-CD packages with Blu-rays or DVDs, video, 5.1 mixes, etc.

A Passion Play: An Extended Performance is nuts.  80-page book, original mixes and remixes, video, 5.1, the works.  And he even dug up and remixed the "Château d'Isaster" sessions, so you get to hear them here.  Yeah, he's a big fan.

The full "book" versions were limited runs and some - NOT ALL OF THEM but SOME - can be ridiculously expensive.  I got Heavy Horses on release for like $40 at Newbury Comics; some of the earlier ones are running upwards of $200 on eBay and Discogs.  You have to do a little homework, but if you have half a mind, and see them for under $50, you might consider it.  (Songs From The Wood and Minstrel In The Gallery are both getting $225 on Discogs, TAAB is $200, and APP and Aqualung are both about $100.)

So this discography is as much for me to learn about the band as it is for others.  I like knowing why the music came about the way it did.  If I was going through my album collection with someone, I would say things like "This next album was different, as the new guitarist had more of a jazz side."  That's the stuff I want to know about.  So I provide that, and leave it to the group to discuss the music, its relative merits, and what they like and don't like about it.

I'm a big fan of this idea; sometimes the backstory is as interesting as the music itself, and I find it often informs the music.  I'm getting into Wings lately, and some of the shenanigans and tomfoolery behind the scenes explains a LOT about the music I'm hearing, and in some cases - the Band On The Run album, for one - gives it a new context and insight.   I'm right now reading a biography of Elton John (by Philip Norman who is by turns an amazing and yet frustrating author); it's interesting to hear Tumbleweed Connection or Madman Across The Water in the context of his ascending (at the time) career. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
^
Great book.  Same with U2's and The Eagles Don Felder.  Insightful as all hell, and.....well written with 'some' of the warts hidden.  Not all.

As to 'A Passion Play'..... another part of the 'dirty dozen' of my Columbia House 8 track order as a 16 year old.  What a 'joy' to have at the 2:28 mark of 'Memory Bank', the middle of 'The Hare...' and around 2:20 of 'Overseer Overture'....fade out, track change, then fade back in when the next track switched on.  <aaaaargh>

This release was, shall we say, 'different'.  Another Sunday morning listen to whilst reading the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press instead of going to church.

'The Hare' drove me nuts.  Reading up years later made me understand the various aspects of the stage show (which also included breaks for newspaper readings from TAAB and other sundry items). 

Of noted instruments is Ian Anderson playing the soprano and sopranino saxophone.  So, for the anti flutists (anti dentites ;)) here is a drastic change.  Not a smart move by him, as it caused mucho problems on tour.

[edit:  track listing removed, now in Orbert's modified post]

The 20th anniversary box set in 1988 included three Chateau d'Isaster tracks as one:  'Scenerio' / 'Audition' / 'No Rehearsal'.  Loved the eleven and a half minutes of this.  In '92, 'Nightcap' was released, with Disc One having almost all the unreleased APP tracks (minus 'Big Top') with flute overdubs ('Scenerio'/'Audition'/'No Rehearsal' divided into three tracks).   

The 40th anniversary release has all of these, and the Steve Wilson remixes (minus flute). 

Of note, is that 'Skating Away (On The Thin Ice Of A New Day)' was to be placed before 'No Rehearsal', and 'Solitaire' (from 'Nightcap') found their way onto 'WarChild'.  Tossed aside tracks also included 'Animalee', 'Law of the Bungle', 'Tiger Tune', and Law of the Bungle II'  (ya think that 'Bungle in the Jungle' might have been part of this session?).

The other unreleased tracks and various versions are listed here, and can be found on youtube.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Passion_Play

One can envision what the planned double LP would have turned out to be had they not had to rush the finish before touring the States, as well as suffering through electrical problems (along with food poisoning) at the Château d'Hérouville.  'Aqualung' and 'Thick As A Brick' are musts for any rock music collector. 'A Passion Play'
(and its extras) are a must listen for anyone interested in the band.  You will like it, love it, or leave it.

Next post before tomorrow night....the vids of the interesting concert beginning.  Ballerina, when you dance there's music......
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:57:06 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
Haven't really had the time to listen to all the albums thoroughly unfortunately, but will say I enjoyed Benefit, really like Aqualung.

I already knew Thick as A Brick and that is one hell of an album. A Passion Play I also knew is fantastic as well. I only think the hare bit drags a bit, I am fine with it in concept and execution, but it is just too long for me. If not for that, I'd probably prefer it to Thick as a Brick, actually.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
In depth info on ‘A Passion Play’

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/app/

Well worth a read as to the background and the concerts.  A tiny light on the center of the stage screen for twenty minutes, the volume of ‘Lifebeats’ eventually increases as the tiny dot pulses and enlarges to show the ballerina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFiUTnmwFJc&t=1s

After she jumped through the screen, the band would appear, and then Anderson follows suit.  A damn shame that there are no professional films of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHFqwudqFN8

Thanks to ‘Nightcap’ and the APP reissue, I ended up with another ‘album’ (simply titled ‘Chateau d’Isaster)

Side One: The Big Top / Scenario / Audition / No Rehearsal / Skating Away … [demo] / Rainbow Blues   

Side Two:  First Post / Left Right (minus the first 47 seconds of ‘noise’) / Solitaire / Critique Oblique/ Sailor/ Post Last
(‘Rainbow Blues’ is a leftover from ‘WarChild’, but the lyrics reference the stage, so I included it on my version.  I am aware that Blackmore’s Night covered this, but that’s for further comment for the next LP). 

Also, for eons I had a cassette I recorded of the APP LP, one side with 'The Hare', one side without.  And, though APP is not my favorite Tull album, I've listened to it more than any other.        
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:59:57 PM by DragonAttack »

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:00:36 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »
A quick note about Dee (David) Palmer

Many of these early albums contains a credit for Orchestral Arrangements to either David Palmer or Dee Palmer.  To be honest, I hadn't noticed, I thought I'd just misremembered the name, as I'm basically copying and pasting what I find on Wiki and on the Jethro Tull website.  Eventually I did notice, however, and investigated further.

Dee Palmer was born David Palmer.  Orchestral Arrangements on all the early albums are credited to David Palmer.  As is now the norm, credits are retroactively "corrected" to the person's current name/identity.  (Similarly, the groundbreaking album Switched-On Bach is now credited to Wendy Carlos everywhere I can find it, although the cover art clearly credits Walter Carlos.)  I'll try to do the same thing here.

I offer no judgement, only explanation.  Whatever your position is on gender reidentification, it does cause confusion sometimes.  You may have an old Tull album with David Palmer credited, or you may have a newer version naming Dee Palmer.  They are the same person.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:37:55 AM by Orbert »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Jethro Tull Discography: War Child (1974)
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2020, 12:15:21 PM »
The tour for A Passion Play included Jethro Tull's most elaborate staging yet.  After all, it was supposedly a Passion play.  But as mentioned, reactions from critics and fans alike were mixed, and this applied to both the album itself and the concerts it supported.  In a strange move, business manager Terry Ellis announced in Melody Maker magazine that in response to the negative reviews of the album and concerts, Jethro Tull would be retiring from live performances.  This was actually a publicity stunt of which Ian Anderson had no prior knowledge.  There's a saying "Any publicity is good publicity" but Anderson declared that this is not the type of publicity they wanted.  He didn't take it well, or any of the countless subsequent questions about the future of the band.

Still, it seems rather obvious in hindsight that the next album needed to be something a bit more accessible. 

War Child (1974)

Ian Anderson - Vocals, Flute, Acoustic Guitar, Saxophone
Barriemore Barlow - Drums, Percussion
Martin Barre - Electric Guitar, Spanish Guitar
John Evan - Piano, Organ, Synthesizers, Accordion
Jeffrey Hammond - Bass Guitar, String Bass

Dee Palmer - Orchestral Arrangements

----------

War Child 4:35
Queen and Country 3:00
Ladies 3:17
Back-Door Angels 5:30
Sealion 3:37
Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day 4:09
Bungle in the Jungle 3:35
Only Solitaire 1:38
The Third Hoorah 4:49
Two Fingers 5:11

----------

Anderson went back to the "Château d'Isaster" sessions and recovered "Only Solitaire" and "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day".  Basic tracks and lead vocals had been recorded and formed a good starting point.  "Bungle in the Jungle" which eventually became the lead single for the album, also came partly from the same 1972 sessions, and "Two Fingers" is a reworking of a song from the Aqualung sessions called "Lick Your Fingers Clean".  The rest of the album is new material.

Originally, War Child was conceived as the soundtrack to a film based on the concept from A Passion Play, which is about one's experiences in the afterlife.  The film changed the main character from a man named Ronnie Pilgrim to a little girl who is killed in an automobile accident.  Anderson had gotten as far as getting actors John Cleese and Leonard Rossiter to commit to it, as well as director/choreographer Sir Frederick Ashton, but the project was eventually abandoned when Anderson learned more about what was involved in creating a Hollywood production.

Dee (nee David) Palmer's string arrangements are more prominent here than on previous albums, as much of the music was composed with a movie soundtrack in mind.  While the resulting album might not seem to be very "conceptual" in nature, the 2002 remaster include several additional pieces which, along with the final album tracks, form a more cohesive album, both musically and in concept.  And of course there's a Steven Wilson edition from 2014 with all of that and more, including even more unreleased material, full 5.1 mixes, and the original quadrophonic mixes.

This album, as did both of its predecessors (and indeed every Jethro Tull album) had widely mixed reviews.  It went Gold in the U.S., topping out at #2 on the album chart, but only reached #14 in the U.K.

----------

I like this album.  I have the 2002 edition, and the resulting 17-track album is great.  But I also like Jethro Tull in general anyway.  I like the bizarre blend of blues/rock with Scottish folk, and the flute was one of the first instruments I learned to play, so there's that additional draw for me.  Hearing that in a full cinematic setting (though I didn't realize it at first) after two full-scale concept albums seems a logical next step.  But I can understand how some folks were a bit underwhelmed by the album as released in its original form.  "Bungle in the Jungle" is catchy and fun.  I can't find any chart info on "Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day" but I know it was a fan favorite and concert staple for years.  "Only Solitaire" always catches my ear when he starts musically quoting various critics (you have to hear it).  Maybe there aren't a lot of musical fireworks elsewhere, but the rest of the album is solid.  No complaints here.

----------

Ian says:

"It's kind of okay. The big one on that was Bungle In The Jungle, which is a complete rebuild of a song from the Château tapes. Very much rewritten, but it used the reference of people behaving like they're animals in the jungle. It was written to be a radio hit, and in America it nailed it – we got AM radio play, which opened us up to a much wider audience and brought a lot more people into the concerts. It had its moment. Ritchie Blackmore has a soft spot for that album, for some reason."

From Every Jethro Tull album in Ian Anderson's own words
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:30:42 AM by Orbert »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: War Child (1974)
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2020, 07:21:57 AM »
Big fan of Only Solitaire and Two Fingers; not a fan at all of Bungle, and I can take or leave Skating...   As such, another Tull album I'm not really that familiar with. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: War Child (1974)
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Warchild was a grower for me. It has a sort of meandering, unfocused and nondescript quality about it. The album gets better after Ladies and moves into some real solid territory with Sealion. Back Door Angels has this extended jammy guitar part towards the end, which I really enjoy but is not something they typically do in their albums.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa