Author Topic: The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography  (Read 37741 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
The Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson Discography
« on: May 19, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
Ian Anderson was born in Scotland, but moved to Blackpool, England, when he was 12.  He formed his first band, The Blades, with four friends from school: Michael Stephens (guitar), John Evans (keyboards), Jeffrey Hammond (bass), and Barrie Barlow (drums).  Anderson sang and played harmonica, and they played mostly Blues and Soul because it was the 60's and that's what most bands played.  They changed both their name and personnel multiple times during the early years.  They were at various times Navy Blue, Ian Henderson's Bag o' Nails, and Candy Coloured Rain.  It was common for booking agents to "suggest" names for the band, and Ian Anderson recalls one time looking at a poster for a band, only to realize that it was for his band, he just didn't recognize the name.  At one point, they were The John Evan Band, mostly because Hammond thought "Evan" sounded cooler than "Evans", and John Evans eventually adopted the name John Evan. 

Their big break came when they were booked at The Marquee Club in London.  One of the staffers at the booking agency was a history buff, and thought the name Jethro Tull was a good name for a band.  Jethro Tull was an 18th Century Agriculturist, but the band didn't know that at the time.  They just knew that they were booked at The Marquee and the band was now called Jethro Tull.

According to Anderson, he attended a Cream concert one night and after seeing Eric Clapton play, rather than being inspired to pursue the guitar, he instead realized that he would never be that good.  Every blues band had a harmonica, so he decided to trade his guitar for a flute.

The band continued to evolve, and by the time they recorded their first album for Island Records, Jethro Tull consisted of Anderson (vocals, flute), Mick Abrahams (guitar), Glenn Cornick (bass), and Clive Bunker (drums).  Anderson and Abrahams were essentially co-leaders of the band, but constantly butted heads over the band's musical direction, with Abrahams wanting to continue in a blues vein, and Anderson wanting to pursue a more eclectic sound.  Abrahams ultimately quit the band over these musical differences, leaving Anderson in charge.

Anderson chose the title This Was (as in "This was Jethro Tull"), hinting at the changes to come.

This Was (1968)

Mick Abrahams - Vocals, Guitars
Ian Anderson - Vocals, Flute, Mouth Organ, Claghorn, Piano
Clive Bunker - Drums
Glenn Cornick - Bass

----------

My Sunday Feeling 3:43
Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You 2:49
Beggar's Farm 4:19
Move on Alone 1:58
Serenade to a Cuckoo (Instrumental) 6:07
Dharma for One (Instrumental) 4:15
It's Breaking Me Up 5:04
Cat's Squirrel (Instrumental) 5:42
A Song for Jeffrey 3:22
Round (Instrumental) 1:03

----------

A mix of standard blues (with flute in the position typically occupied by harmonica) and jazzy, proto-progressive rock.  I've indicated which tracks are instrumentals, because it's interesting how many there were on this debut album.  Also, the overall sound is not as dual-natured as one might expect.  My first impression was that it sounds like Jethro Tull, but a bit rougher and more heavily blues-influenced.  And that's basically what it is.

This Was features the only Jethro Tull song with lead vocals by someone other than Ian Anderson.  Abrahams sings lead vocals on "Move On Alone", the only song for which he has sole writing credit.  The "band advisors" (presumably booking agents who effectively doubled as managers) had tried to persuade Anderson to both give up the flute and let Abrahams do all the lead vocals.  At this point, Anderson was playing rhythm guitar, but as mentioned above, he'd traded in his guitar for a flute, so it would seem that the band did not heed their advice.

"Serenade to a Cuckoo" is a cover of a piece by jazz multiinstrumentalist Roland Kirk.  "Cat's Squirrel" is a folk tune arranged by Abrahams.  The rest are either band compositions or Anderson solo compositions.  "A Song for Jeffrey" was written for Anderson's old schoolmate and bandmate Jeffrey Hammond.  The album was received well in the U.K., reaching #10, but didn't do as well in the U.S., peaking at #62 on the Billboard 200 chart.

The 2001 remaster contains three bonus tracks:

One for John Gee 2:06
Love Story 3:06
Christmas Song 3:06

----------

Ian says:

"It’s all in the title, isn't it? This was Jethro Tull. That's no accident because when we were recording it, the one thing I felt sure about is that if we were lucky enough to make another album, I knew it wouldn't be like this one: based on blues elements and black American folk culture. That's not part of my life and I couldn't keep doing that – I'd look like a complete twit. The cover had no logo or anything and people were telling me we couldn't do that, but we did it, of course."

From Every Jethro Tull album in Ian Anderson's own words
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:36:14 PM by Orbert »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Jethro Tull Discography: This Was (1968)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
OK, I'm going to try and stay with this.

What is the latest any of these songs remained in their setlists?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
Thank you for doing this, Orbert.

My Sunday Feeling was a favourite of mine as a little kid, mainly because it had a funny Pink Panther vibe.

Never gave the whole album a real chance once I discovered the Barre era.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
OK, listening now.

My Sunday Feeling is nice enough for sure.

I liked Beggar's Farm but the flute was annoying as hell.

Dharma For One was excellent, as I was already thinking the drumming was excellent on this album.

Tush, I mean Cat's Squirrel , is easily the best thing here.

I think the damn flute could be a deal breaker here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
TAC, you realize that the flute is an integral part of the Jethro Tull sound, actually its most defining characteristic, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
TAC, you realize that the flute is an integral part of the Jethro Tull sound, actually its most defining characteristic, right?

Of course I do! :lol I'm not a noob!

I only know their radio hits so I am going into this with an open mind. Too many people I respect love Jethro Tull, so I'm following.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 08:41:01 PM »
How much did these guys snort before shooting this album cover?  holy moly!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
I know right. That album cover is fried as hell.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:54:33 PM »
The Labrador that has to have his paw on that dude sitting down is like 'bitch, you are grossing me out, don't touch me!'  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 09:09:28 PM »

I only know their radio hits so I am going into this with an open mind. Too many people I respect love Jethro Tull, so I'm following.

If you're relatively new to JT, I'm not sure this is a great spot to hop off the diving board.   But it's a nice little album.   This is truly to JT fans what the self titled is to Rush fans.  A good album in its own right, with some brief flashes of what was to come, but not really representative of the band's sound.   

I know that every time I have spun it I've enjoyed it, but it's not high on my list of JT albums either.  I'm off work again for at least the remainder of the week (wife has symptoms of COVID and is being tested...we'll get the results this week, but we're quarantined til then) so I will spin this again tomorrow.     I'm really glad you're doing this Orbert.  This is going to be fun.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online HOF

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 09:11:44 PM »
I should probably try to follow along with this. Love classic prog and lots of bands who have flute in them, but for some reason never have gotten much out of Tull. The only album I have is Crest of a Knave which isn’t especially representative.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 10:18:06 PM »
Sunday Feeling, Beggar's Farm, Some Day, and Song for Jeffery would pop up until the very end. I've seen all four of them at various shows since 98.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »

Okay, just making sure.  I was a bit concerned by

and

I mean, it's Ian Anderson's main instrument, so complaining about the flute on every album is going to get old really fast.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 05:30:36 AM »
Easy there, O. You missed the 5 positive things I had to say about the album as well as a legit honest question that Bart answered.

OK, listening now.

Dharma For One was excellent, as I was already thinking the drumming was excellent on this album.

So you complaining about me complaining about the flute is going to get old real fast. :P :P :lol :lol

Look, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to explore this. I'm trying to find something to like, and if it ultimately gets to much for me, I'll quietly bough out, but there was easily enough good stuff on this first album to keep me interested.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »
I'm a moderate Jethro Tull fan, saw them live a few times (well, I saw Ian Anderson live, but close enough) before Ian's voice began deteriorating completely. Nowadays whenever I want to listen to Tull I just go with TAAB or Crest of a Knave. This would be a good opportunity to listen to some of the other material again.

Just finished my listen to This Was and honestly it's not even that bad. For one, I forgot how many instrumentals were there and how good they were. :lol I liked Beggar's Farm, which was the only song from this record I remembered, and I'd say all the instrumentals were highlights. The rest is kinda forgettable, but still better than I expected from a debut album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 07:03:10 AM »
Easy there, O. You missed the 5 positive things I had to say about the album as well as a legit honest question that Bart answered.

OK, listening now.

So you complaining about me complaining about the flute is going to get old real fast. :P :P :lol :lol

Look, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to explore this. I'm trying to find something to like, and if it ultimately gets to much for me, I'll quietly bough out, but there was easily enough good stuff on this first album to keep me interested.

It's good that you did find some things to like, and I did not miss that you mentioned them.  It just seems odd to say that the "damn flute" is annoying and could be the deal breaker when it's clearly the featured instrument.  It's the first thing people think of when someone mentions Jethro Tull.  But if you can listen to their music and enjoy some things about it in spite of the flute, then that's cool.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
My dad is a huge fan, and I always enjoy hearing it. Actually, I really love A Passion Play (except for the Hare bit) and Thick as a Brick. I also think Ian Anderson's Thick as a Brick 2 and Homo Erraticus are great (both a continuation of the Thick as a Brick concept), despite the decline in vocals. Only know a couple of their albums though, never did a deep dive. Will follow the thread.

For my dad's 65th birthday I ordered the official book "The Ballad of Jethro Tull", which was released a couple of months back, as well as Martin Barre's 50th anniversary Jetrho Tull cover album.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »

OK, listening now.

For the next 20 years or so that damn flute is only going to become more prominent.  This Was was as much a blues album as anything else, and they're going to get into their prog phase with. . . more flute! Ha, just wait for Martin Barre to come along and play a second flute from time to time.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
I love reading about music. Jethro Tull is one of those bands that I know about just enough (and appreciate just enough songs here and there) to follow.

In times of smart working where each day I have 8 hours of music to listen to, they're a band as good as any to get the temptation to fully explore.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 08:27:18 AM »
Following.

Also, I'm so glad to have you, Orbert, hosting a discography thread again. You are the originator on this site and still the gold standard. I've never heard this debut album, so I'll fire up Spotify and get busy.

Edit:

I really enjoyed this! I loved everything on side 2, Dharma For One through Round, but then I've always been a big fan of the blues so that's hardly surprising. Nice flow too. As for side 1, My Sunday Feeling and Beggar's Farm were the highlights for me. Will listen again.

The bonus track Love Story is excellent and has a more recognizable JT style.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:15:12 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
Thank you, Mr. Peccary (I just listened to Studio Tan last night, and thought of you!).  I like blabbing about music with whoever will listen, and I have a captive audience here.  Well, not really captive, but people are mostly home and have lots of time, so what the fuck.

By the way, I started a thing with the Gentle Giant discography where you can just click on the album title.  It's a link to the YouTube playlist for the album.  I'm gonna do the same here as long as there are available links/videos (which seems pretty likely).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:19:10 AM by Orbert »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 10:10:20 AM »
This is one I never owned, or heard more than a few cuts from, so now my interest is peaked.

btw....thanks for the history lesson.  All these decades later, and now I learn how the band got their name.  Always thought it was Anderson's idea, and that Jethro Tull fit the band's persona.  Well, it certainly did.  Just glad the promoter didn't come up with something like 'Humpy Bong' and had it stick ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
In one interview with Ian, I remember him saying that the band was essentially booking gigs under one name, and then when they wouldn't get invited back to any venue, they would change their name and then book the circuit again.   Jethro Tull just happened to be the "musical chair" name they landed on when they finally got invited back to do another gig.   He also stated pretty clearly that he never much cared for the name, but it just was what it was. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »
Thank you, Mr. Peccary (I just listened to Studio Tan last night, and thought of you!).

It's been too long since I listened to Studio Tan. I need to rectify that!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »
About that damn flute. 

I would say that in the following albums, the band found ways to integrate the flute a little better into the context of their music.  It slowly became a more organic part of the composition, whereas sometimes in This Was, the flute sounds like it was tacked on top of what is essentially a blues album. As Orbert suggests, the flute was practically a novelty to help distinguish them from the zillions of blues-based rock bands coming out at the time. 

That still doesn't mean that TAC will take to it.   :D
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
Following. My best friend in high school was a big fan, even though it was the 90s. I've heard a lot of their stuff over the years but don't really know their discography beyond a few albums. I've got most of their 70's output on vinyl (from thrift stores before the "vinyl revival"), so this will be a good excuse to go through it.

Also, I'm so glad to have you, Orbert, hosting a discography thread again. You are the originator on this site and still the gold standard.

Agreed. I don't post much, but I lurk here a lot and I've immensely enjoyed Orbert's discography threads. I'm a Yes fan, so that one was especially fun.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »
For the next 20 years or so that damn flute is only going to become more prominent.  This Was was as much a blues album as anything else, and they're going to get into their prog phase with. . . more flute! Ha, just wait for Martin Barre to come along and play a second flute from time to time.  :lol

So double damn flute? :lol :facepalm:  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2020, 08:20:58 AM »
Every blues band had a harmonica, so he decided to trade his guitar for a flute.

Inadvertently, that may be the best descriptor for Ian Anderson I've ever heard.   

Getting ahead of ourselves here, there's a REALLY good live version on "Living In The Past" (from the Carnegie Hall show, the rest of which was on the second box set, though missing this track)

Hmmm; give it a moment; there are certainly songs where it's a prominent instrument, but there are just as many where it's less "flute-like".   I'm not saying you'll definitely like it, but his playing evolved a fair amount through the years.   And some songs - "Locomotive Breath" for one - there are official versions with and without flute.

Sunday Feeling, Beggar's Farm, Some Day, and Song for Jeffery would pop up until the very end. I've seen all four of them at various shows since 98.

Add Dharma For One to that as well.  We're jumping ahead a bit (again!) so I want to be clear I'm not saying El Barto is wrong at all, but SF, SFJ and DFO have been in Ian Anderson's setlist as recently as this past fall. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
In one interview with Ian, I remember him saying that the band was essentially booking gigs under one name, and then when they wouldn't get invited back to any venue, they would change their name and then book the circuit again.   Jethro Tull just happened to be the "musical chair" name they landed on when they finally got invited back to do another gig.   He also stated pretty clearly that he never much cared for the name, but it just was what it was.

Orbert, will there be a separate discography for Jethro Toe?    :) :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
I was trying to figure out how to work Jethro Toe into the writeup, but ultimately decided against it.  The writeup for the first album typically includes a lot of background on the band and stuff other than the actual content of the first album, and I was afraid that this might be one anecdote too many.  But for the curious, here's a "deleted scene" from the writeup for the first album:

----------

Shortly after Jethro Tull became Jethro Tull, and before the first album, they recorded a song called "Sunshine Day" for MGM Records.  But to release it as a single, they needed a song to put on the other side, so they took an old John Evan Band song called "Aeroplane", mixed out the saxophones, and it became the B-side.  When it was released, it was credited to "Jethro Toe".  Ian Anderson has always (jokingly?) questioned whether this was intentional, as a way to avoid paying royalties on it.  There are physical copies of the single out there, but the ones which correctly say Jethro Tull on them are counterfeits, produced later by a company in New York.

"Sunshine Day" and other early singles appear on the 40th Anniversary edition of the album, released in 2008.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
Thanks for that; I was going for a cheap laugh, but it's a good story, and indicative of the lack of deep insight into the naming of the band.   I actually love that song "Aeroplane".  It's Tull, but not, if that makes sense.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »

Add Dharma For One to that as well.  We're jumping ahead a bit (again!) so I want to be clear I'm not saying El Barto is wrong at all, but SF, SFJ and DFO have been in Ian Anderson's setlist as recently as this past fall.
That doesn't surprise me. I've pretty much tuned Ian Anderson out. Honestly, I don't much like the guy personally, so I'm no longer interested in paying to see him. I did really enjoy the Bricks 1 and 2 tour, but the last tour I saw really sucked. Martin Barre comes to town and I'm all over that, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks for that; I was going for a cheap laugh, but it's a good story, and indicative of the lack of deep insight into the naming of the band.   I actually love that song "Aeroplane".  It's Tull, but not, if that makes sense.

The John Evan Band was an ancestor to Tull, and most members of that band did end up in Tull later, so it makes sense that the sound is similar.  (I know you knew that; I'm just extrapolating a bit for the benefit of the general reading public.)  I actually included the lineup of the original John Evan Band because so many of them ended up joining Jethro Tull later, and I wanted to make the connection more clear.

In fact, I had always assumed the changes to be more subtle and gradual.  It wasn't until researching this album that I learned that Ian Anderson was the only member of The John Evan Band in the original Jethro Tull lineup.  Ian kinda started recruiting them into Tull later, one by one.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »
I just wanted to throw in that the manner in which flute is used in Ayreon is Tull-like in the extreme. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »

That doesn't surprise me. I've pretty much tuned Ian Anderson out. Honestly, I don't much like the guy personally, so I'm no longer interested in paying to see him. I did really enjoy the Bricks 1 and 2 tour, but the last tour I saw really sucked. Martin Barre comes to town and I'm all over that, though.

If you don't want to share, that's fine, and I can sort of guess why, but I'd be interested in the discussion of why you dislike Anderson.  I know for me, he's polarizing; there are some things I really like about him, and others... not so much.