Author Topic: 80's music thread with a twist  (Read 1329 times)

Offline T-ski

80's music thread with a twist
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:22:29 AM »
I thought it'd be interesting to dig deep into the 80's and see what kind of forgotten gems we can unearth.

Here is the catch - post a song that was released as a single in the U.S., made the Billboard Hot 100, but never made it higher than #25 on the charts.

I'll start us off with Honeymoon Suite "Feel it Again", which peaked at #34 in 1986.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 80's music thread with a twist
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »
Assuming we are talking about the U2 Billboard Hot 100, not the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart...

I will go with All I Want Is You by U2, which unbelievably peaked at only number 83 on the Hot 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOA697hoop8

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
2 ballads I loved as a kid.

Great White - Save Your Love

Tommy Page - A Shoulder to Cry On

Damn, I was looking up ACDC because I always have a hard time remembering the timeline of their career and albums, and saw this: You Shook Me All Night Long made it to 35, Back In Black to 37. I never would have thought those two songs didn't go higher.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:54:45 AM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 02:07:25 PM »
Does it have to be no higher than #25 in the US, or ANY Territory's Billboard 100?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »
This one:

the U2 Billboard Hot 100,

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »
Does it have to be no higher than #25 in the US, or ANY Territory's Billboard 100?

U.S. Billboard Hot 100

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »
Queen 'I Want It All'  (USA #50, UK #3), 'Under Pressure' (USA #29, UK #1), along with 'I Want To Break Free', 'One Vision' and so many other singles except for
'Radio GaGa' (#16) and........gulp, 'Body Language' (#11) <hides head in shame>. 

Van Halen:  'Black and Blue' (#35) and 'Right Now' (#55).  Jayzus, 'Poundcake' didn't chart ???
edit:  oops, only 'Black and Blue' was released in the 80s. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:18:09 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 06:01:38 PM »
Prince - Take Me With U

Peaked at #25 on the US Hot 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq0sbi2xAGE

XTC - Generals and Majors

Peaked at #32 on the US Hot 100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCW6Kte2o1A

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:54:36 PM »
Here's a few. All from my collection.

Scandal - Goodbye To You #65
Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio #58
The Vapors - Turning Japanese #36
Quiet Riot - Metal Health #31

Rush
   The Spirit of Radio #51
   Limelight #55
   Tom Sawyer #44
   Big Money #45

I'm sure there's plenty more.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
Assuming we are talking about the U2 Billboard Hot 100, not the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart...

I will go with All I Want Is You by U2, which unbelievably peaked at only number 83 on the Hot 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOA697hoop8

I LOVE that song.  One of their best, and a sleeper Bono performance that sneaks up on you, in my opinion. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 09:36:56 AM »
Fly High Michelle - Enuff Z'nuff (released in '89, but it hit #47 on the U.S. Hot 100 and #27 on the U.S. Mainstream chart in '90)
The Ballad Of Jayne - LA Guns (released in '89, and hit #33 on the U.S. Hot 100 and #25 on the U.S. Mainstream chart)

Offline PetFish

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »
When I go check out the end-of-year charts I'm shocked by how low so many of the "great" songs I remember ended up being really low in the top 100.  Like, I totally remember them being super popular at the time and for sure would be #1s or at least way up there, then they end up being #82 (ie. Van Halen - When It's Love).

For your game I'll go 1988 - Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter at #35.  Really cool cover and one of the first neat guitar licks I learned when I started taking lessons.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 06:01:56 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »
Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio #58

:lol

Yeah, as an MTV child of the 80's (I turned 4 in '80), I was into all of that kitschy stuff that came out. It all reminds me of my youth, though. It was a weird decade of music.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 06:47:21 PM »
I turned 12 in 1980 and I remember the song. Hadn't thought of it in years and immediately started laughing when I read your post.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
That Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was awesome. it was yours before I learned that wasn't an original song of theirs.

doing a little research on the charts of their other songs. Holy shit Walk Like an Egyptian was the number one song of 1987? That song was crap. I said in another thread that a dance club I went to a lot had an 80s music floor, and Rock Lobster was an automatic piss break song for me. Walk Like an Egyptian was another.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
Bashing the song with the video that featured the Susanna Hoffs eyes "thing" should not be allowed. :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
The Fixx.

Stand Or Fall. #76 on the Hot 100.

https://youtu.be/RRPnnF0LwjE
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 12:33:46 AM »
Bashing the song with the video that featured the Susanna Hoffs eyes "thing" should not be allowed. :P

I know exactly of which you speak. It's still mind-boggling that song was as big as it was.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »
Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers

Peaked at #48

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 12:50:41 PM »
What about the rest of us? I'm from the UK, so I have no idea what was in the Billboard charts. Something could have ranked low in the UK chart, but higher in the US.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:31 AM »

:omg: :heart :heart

I bought their first single, Hero Takes A Fall after seeing them on tv.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 08:37:45 AM »
Modern English “Melt with You”....#78.  I’m shocked.

Who remembers Icicle Works “Whisper to a Scream”? #37.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
I completely forgot about that Icicle Works song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PetFish

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
That Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was awesome. it was yours before I learned that wasn't an original song of theirs.

It was mine?  Where are my royalties!

This is why I have no issue with bands doing covers.  To younger fans these songs are often heard and then generate interest in a band, and if they're young enough really have no clue what a "cover" even is, and then when they hear the original later it may introduce them to the original band as well.

I don't understand people that hate covers just cuz they're covers.  They may not be musically great covers but there are those that basically wish covers didn't exist.  It's similar to radio edits in that they don't hurt anyone but they may bring new fans into the fold and THEN they discover the "real" version and get mind-blown.  If introducing someone to DT I'd much rather play the Home edit than the real track but there are those other people that just spit on edits... but they already KNOW the real version, so I guess they'd rather not try and bring new fans in?  Logic fail.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »

John Taylor has posted a couple videos on YT about his bass in a some Duran Duran songs, which is in and of itself all kinds of 80s awesomeness. But he also posted on online conversation with Susanna. She could legit be the most beautiful 61 year old in human history. And it is a natural looking 61. I do not know if she had any surgery, but if she did, the doc did a fantastic job (of course he had an already lovely canvas to work with).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
I completely forgot about that Icicle Works song.

Not me man, that’s a fave of mine.

Honeymoon Suite was huge around here, getting their break in ‘83 from the Toronto Rock station Q107 Homegrown contest.

I’ll offer some Slade, and Run Run Away. Some solid celtic vibes there. (I cheated, it peaked at #20. My Oh My tapped out at 37
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »
Henry Lee Summer - I Wish I Had A Girl

I heard this again recently and was like "holy shit, I forgot all about that song!!"

https://youtu.be/GnPZeVFJ9e8

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »

John Taylor has posted a couple videos on YT about his bass in a some Duran Duran songs, which is in and of itself all kinds of 80s awesomeness. But he also posted on online conversation with Susanna. She could legit be the most beautiful 61 year old in human history. And it is a natural looking 61. I do not know if she had any surgery, but if she did, the doc did a fantastic job (of course he had an already lovely canvas to work with).

Oh, absolutely.  If I had to guess, I'll bet Susanna was never much of a drug user or alcohol drinker.  To maintain that healthy and good of a look is part genetics I'm sure, but she probably eats well and takes care of herself.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2020, 08:15:42 AM »

I heard this again recently and was like "holy shit, I forgot all about that song!!"

Nice.

This made me think of Dwight Twilley’s “Girls“, but alas, it reached #16 and thus does not qualify for this thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »
Magic Touch by Mike Oldfield with Max Bacon from GTR singing.  1988. Only was on the Rock chart.  Not the mainstream 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSeR3Yk7TU

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 08:43:14 AM »

Nice.

This made me think of Dwight Twilley’s “Girls“, but alas, it reached #16 and thus does not qualify for this thread.

Ahh shit.  I totally overlooked that part!  :lol