5 (12.2%)
★★★☆☆
9 (22%)
★★★★☆
11 (26.8%)
★★★★★
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Rate the Guns N' Roses version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"  (Read 18952 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Rate the Guns N' Roses version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
JLB retires from singing and Bieber joins DT as new lead singer cause apparently he's a huge fan and has 20 vinyl copies of Systematic Chaos at home that shaped his music career.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »

Justin Bieber gets tons of appreciation. I can’t stand his music, but a lot of people love it.

He is nowhere near as appreciated and acclaimed as i.e. Kanye West. Justin Bieber doesn't have something like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" in his catalog.

Whatever the hell that is.

Just one of the most critically and publicly acclaimed albums of the last decade.

Along with Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly".
And David Bowie's "Blackstar"is not far behind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »

Just one of the most critically and publicly acclaimed albums of the last decade.

Not to jump in the middle of this pillow fight, but being critically acclaimed means jack squat.

Carry on... :P

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »

Not to jump in the middle of this pillow fight, but being critically acclaimed means jack squat.

Carry on... :P

My point was just because you haven’t heard of something doesn’t mean it’s not well known, acclaimed or significant.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:35:49 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #214 on: May 21, 2020, 06:17:18 PM »
I picked the wrong month to stop smoking weed.

Yeah, pretty much every word of that is demonstrably false.  :rollin  You really have earned yourself zero credibility when it comes to discussing music here.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2020, 03:02:12 AM »
I and one my friend had a conversation about taste in music. And we agreed there is no good or bad taste, but someone either has a taste or not.
He said his wife shares only 20% musical interests with him, but she HAS A TASTE, she is good when it comes to recognizing what is quality music and what is garbage music.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2020, 03:40:56 AM »
Tell me this: Is Iron Maiden objectively better than Godsmack?

Objectively better AT WHAT?

I don't know a damn thing about Godsmack beyond what I'm reading on Wikipedia.  I imagine Maiden has sold more albums, but that shouldn't be surprising given that Maiden has been around a lot longer and has way more albums.

On the other hand, Godsmack appears to have 4 Grammy nominations to zero for Maiden.

Once again, asking whether something is "objectively better than" something else, you have to be clear about the relevant criteria.  As you phrased the question, it is utterly meaningless.

Justin Bieber is talentless.
He is just a singer/performer, not an artist. He hasn't one single characteristic of an artist. Compare him to widely appreciated artists as Bowie, Prince, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis, etc. What is he compared to them? Artist? Come on. 
His hits could be written by nearly everyone (including you or me).
Objectively he is one of the most hated singers on this planet, because the masses of people easily recognized his music is garbage.

And I don't think it's just an opinion, it's the truth.

Oh, for fuck's sake!

Justin Bieber has sole more than 150 million records.  He made a movie that was seen by millions and made millions of dollars in profit.  He is a MASSIVELY popular.  He is a hugely successful business person who has made millions on multiple business ventures.  If he's "talentless" and "objectively . . . one of the most hated singers on this planet," how has that happened?  While he might very well be hated by a lot of folks, it also seems to be an objective fact that he is also one of the most LOVED singers on the planet" (after all, one can be both "most hated" and "most loved").

He's "just a singer/performer, not an artist"?  Well...ok, if you define "artist" not to include "singers," but I think you'd be on that island alone.  Also, (1) Justin Bieber plays multiple instruments, and (2) wasn't Marvin Gaye also "just a singer/performer"?  Do you have to be primarily a player of a musical instrument to be considered an "artist"?  What about Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holliday?  Were then "just singers/performers, not artists"?

Give me your opinion on this.

In one facebook rock fans group someone posted this question: "Name a better 3 musician band than Rush, if you can" and one guy responded with a big list of trio bands including Blink 182 and Green Day.
Even if someone is a big Rush hater I don't get how he can have an opinion that Blink 182 and Green Day are a 'better 3 musician bands' than Rush. That was a big insult to Rush.
His statement was absurd and wrong. Who in their right mind could claim something like that. LMAO

How would you react if someone tells you that Blink 182 and Green Day are better than Rush? Would you get into argument with that guy?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:17:45 AM by WildRanger »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #217 on: May 22, 2020, 04:32:46 AM »
Calm down man, not everyone thinks Rush is as great as you do :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2020, 06:45:08 AM »

In one facebook rock fans group someone posted this question: "Name a better 3 musician band than Rush, if you can" and one guy responded with a big list of trio bands including Blink 182 and Green Day.
Even if someone is a big Rush hater I don't get how he can have an opinion that Blink 182 and Green Day are a 'better 3 musician bands' than Rush. That was a big insult to Rush.

His statement was absurd and wrong. Who in their right mind could claim something like that. LMAO

How would you react if someone tells you that Blink 182 and Green Day are better than Rush? Would you get into argument with that guy?

No, I would not get into an argument with someone, because it's pointless and leads nowhere. Yes, we can probably all instinctively agree that the three Rush-guys are more proficient on their instruments than those in the bands you mentioned, but does it fucking matter? The question asked, as written by you, asked for a 'better band'. What's 'better' to this guy responding with 'Blink 182' and 'Green Day' (probably because this persons enjoys these bands' music more!) is apparently different from your idea of 'better'. Get over it, it doesn't matter one bit.

---

And here's what I think is the most important part that you got wrong:

You claim the statement is 'absurd' and 'wrong', but I'd like to counter that with the following: The question asked is absurd and wrong, which is EXACTLY why it leads to these kind of answers, as has been said time and time again in this thread and in other threads of yours.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »
Green Day has a couple albums I like way more than several Rush albums.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2020, 07:09:06 AM »
I'd like to commend WildRanger for actually engaging in this thread more, I think, than any other he has ever made.

Even if he's not answering most people's posts to him and just keeps putting a variation of the same post over and over.

"Wait, so if someone says X is better than Y, you'd be okay with that?!?!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »

No, I would not get into an argument with someone, because it's pointless and leads nowhere. Yes, we can probably all instinctively agree that the three Rush-guys are more proficient on their instruments than those in the bands you mentioned, but does it fucking matter? The question asked, as written by you, asked for a 'better band'. What's 'better' to this guy responding with 'Blink 182' and 'Green Day' (probably because this persons enjoys these bands' music more!) is apparently different from your idea of 'better'. Get over it, it doesn't matter one bit.

---

And here's what I think is the most important part that you got wrong:

You claim the statement is 'absurd' and 'wrong', but I'd like to counter that with the following: The question asked is absurd and wrong, which is EXACTLY why it leads to these kind of answers, as has been said time and time again in this thread and in other threads of yours.

Rush make music that is on a much higher musical level than Green Day and Blink 182, so there is more quality to their music. Who can deny it and how? Compare Basket Case and Xanadu? What's musically superior? Which song takes much more personal talent and creative effort to be written and performed? If someone prefers Basket Case to Xanadu, it doesn't matter, it won't change the truth that Xanadu is a musically superior song by a wide margin.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:07 AM »

It's not the point whether someone thinks Rush is as great as I do. The point is that if you say Blink 182 is better than Rush it shows that you have zero appreciation for Rush.
Someone doesn't have to like Rush music and it's OK, but every normal music fan should APPRECIATE or RESPECT them. If you say Rush is crap, it means you don't respect them at all.

I'm not a fan of Bob Dylan's music apart from a few tunes, but respect the hell out of him as a music artist.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:32:19 AM by WildRanger »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2020, 07:26:34 AM »
I'm not a smart man, but I know what trolling is.

we know
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #224 on: May 22, 2020, 07:27:03 AM »
Blink 182 is definitely better than Rush.

I feel confident saying that since we can define better however we want.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2020, 07:30:39 AM »
Xanadu is a more complex song than Basket Case; is it your opinion a more complex song is inherently a musically superior song?

Not arguing. Still trying to understand your reasoning while the thread is still peaceful.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »
Rush make music that is on a much higher musical level than Green Day and Blink 182, so there is more quality to their music. Who can deny it and how?

What is a 'higher musical level'?
More notes played? More instruments used in a song? More use of the word 'Xanadu'? Longer composition? Usage of odd-time signatures?
Define 'higher musical level', please, or I won't take that question seriously at all.

Following 'higher musical level' -> 'more quality'. Again, this does not follow up.

I can deny it, because it's a fucking stupid question to ask.

Compare Basket Case and Xanadu? What's musically superior? Which song takes much more personal talent and creative effort to be written and performed?

Why the arbitrary choice of these two songs?
Ask yourself the same questions two define 'musically superior' next.

What is 'personal talent'? What is 'creative effort'? Can that be defined or quantised?

I'm quite confident that if Green Day would play 'Xanadu' it wouldn't sound well, but I'm also pretty sure that if Rush were to play 'Basket Case' it wouldn't be convincing at all either.

If someone prefers Basket Case to Xanadu, it doesn't matter, it won't change the truth that Xanadu is a musically superior song by a wide margin.

What 'truth'?
What 'wide margin'? How are you even defining the 'margin', when you've only compared them in bullshit terms stemming from your own subjective opinion?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »
Xanadu is a more complex song than Basket Case; is it your opinion a more complex song is inherently a musically superior song?

In most cases, yep. Because more complex songs take much more talent and creative effort, as I said.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #228 on: May 22, 2020, 07:38:53 AM »

It-
ok zoomer
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline emtee

« Reply #229 on: May 22, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »
The hurdle here, which we can't get past, is that WR doesn't grasp the concept of subjectivity and therefore he continues to make the exact same argument using different bands/artists. At this juncture the conversation can't move forward.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: May 22, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »

In most cases, yep. Because more complex songs take much more talent and creative effort, as I said.

Wild, wild Rangers
Couldn't troll me all day

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #231 on: May 22, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
The hurdle here, which we can't get past, is that WR doesn't grasp the concept of subjectivity and therefore he continues to make the exact same argument using different bands/artists. At this juncture the conversation can't move forward.

OK. Many people on this board think (good and bad) music is 100% subjective and I disagree with them. I'm entitled to it. They can't convince me that music is 100% subjective nor I can't convince them that music is not 100% subjective either.
Case closed.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »

Thank you! As long as you realise that's your opinion - not the Truth - I'm going to respect the hell out of it, even if I vehemently disagree; I won't even question your competence or education in the matter. Give us the same respect - i.e. keep polling and asking questions, but give up the "you're no true music fan" nonsense - and we're definitely cool.

Offline emtee

« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »

OK. Many people on this board think (good and bad) music is 100% subjective and I disagree with them. I'm entitled to it. They can't convince me that music is 100% subjective nor I can't convince them that music is not 100% subjective either.
Case closed.

Yes indeed. You're entitled to your opinion. However, since you have posted many similar threads and covered your stance and beliefs about music, there isn't any point in doing it again...right? We know where you stand and you know where most of us stand. Jury dismissed.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »

Case closed.

That's not how it works. You don't get to create your own reality, troll

Offline max_security

« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
The original tune is awful. The remake didn't help it out at all , just a slightly better version of a horrible song. Talent - wise , tonal quality , man it's just bad from any angle. Why so much discussion of this pos ?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »
The original tune is awful. The remake didn't help it out at all , just a slightly better version of a horrible song. Talent - wise , tonal quality , man it's just bad from any angle. Why so much discussion of this pos ?

I think you'll find very little discussion of the song in this thread. Please stay on topic. :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2020, 08:01:29 AM »
OK. Many people on this board think (good and bad) music is 100% subjective and

Why the need to add the 'good and bad'?

Me excluded, by the way.

I disagree with them. I'm entitled to it.

Ok.

They can't convince me that music is 100% subjective nor I can't convince them that music is not 100% subjective either.

That was, for me personally, not the point, but since I'm not getting any responses from you whatsoever for all the questions I asked, I doubt it matters. It appears as if you're not open for discussion, especially if you say you can't be 'convinced' either way.
Squ

Offline max_security

« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2020, 08:08:23 AM »

I think you'll find very little discussion of the song in this thread. Please stay on topic. :neverusethis:

lol. You are right , I just saw the number of pages and the title .

WR is always poking to find some sore spots so I guess he is getting poked back. But music is just not subjective , there has to be a level to say that someone is a professional musician or not. The real world doesn't play by that rule , but I and some others do. GNR never met my requirements , and Dylan too for that matter. There are some great players out there and my / our effort is best to support them. F the rest of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »

WR is always poking to find some sore spots so I guess he is getting poked back. But music is just not subjective , there has to be a level to say that someone is a professional musician or not. The real world doesn't play by that rule , but I and some others do. GNR never met my credentials , and Dylan too for that matter. There are some great players out there and my / our effort is best to support them. F the rest of them.

"Professional" musician is just a title that means it is more than a hobby, it is something they get paid to do or made a career out of. That's it. Profession = paid occupation. Take away societal constructs of jobs and currency and it is meaningless. In that regard, a "professional" can be objectively measured, but the quality of music, or that one group is "better" than another because one person thinks one group is trash and the other is great, is not. Guns N' Roses, whether you like them or not, are professional musicians. Me playing classical piano in my bedroom is not professional, regardless of whether or not Mozart's piano sonatas are considered a higher art form than singing about where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: May 22, 2020, 08:18:36 AM »
But music is just not subjective...

Yes, but the level to which a person (or persons) appreciate/dislike it is (subjective). Of course you can build criteria for level of skill to perform certain musical tasks. The ability to meet those skills can be measured and called facts (objectivity), but that in no way automatically means it is good or bad. Likewise, it doesn't follow that a person who likes less complicated (less skillfully executed) music isn't a "real music fan." That's what folks are pushing back on.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline max_security

« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »

damn I had a heck of a reply typed . ?

That is the PC version. Back in the day it was " feel " , and " shredders " had no " feel ". The level of musicianship at a period of time should determine if someone is " FIT " to be offered public airplay. How many Black Crows and Nicklebacks do we have to endure and sort through to find a decent guitar solo ? It's one of those " there ought to be a law " arguments I know , but I speak out against bullshit music when I can. And GNR was a slap in the face from the record industry at the time . The hair / glam was one thing and GNR took it up a few notches.

WR is always poking to find some sore spots so I guess he is getting poked back. But music is just not subjective , there has to be a level to say that someone is a professional musician or not. The real world doesn't play by that rule , but I and some others do. GNR never met my credentials , and Dylan too for that matter. There are some great players out there and my / our effort is best to support them. F the rest of them.

"Professional" musician is just a title that means it is more than a hobby, it is something they get paid to do or made a career out of. That's it. Take away societal constructs of jobs and currency and it is meaningless. In that regard, a "professional" can be objectively measured, but the quality of music, or that one group is "better" than another because one person thinks one group is trash and the other is great, is not. Guns N' Roses, whether you like them or not, are professional musicians. Me playing classical piano in my bedroom is not professional, regardless of whether or not Mozart's piano sonatas are considered a higher art form than singing about where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

That is the PC version. Back in the day it was " feel " , and " shredders " had no " feel ". The level of musicianship at a period of time should determine if someone is " FIT " to be offered public airplay. How many Black Crows and Nicklebacks do we have to endure and sort through to find a decent guitar solo ? It's one of those " there ought to be a law " arguments I know , but I speak out against bullshit music when I can. And GNR was a slap in the face from the record industry at the time . The hair / glam was one thing and GNR took it up a few notches.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks for replying, max. But right there you illustrate the same problem we're having with WildRanger. What if someone thinks Black Crows and Nickelback have decent solos? What if someone likes the guitar solo in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit even though a lot of metalheads shit on it? It's all subjective. Black Crows and Nickelback are still professional musicians, and, dare I say, make a better living than a lot of technically-obsessed progressive metal artists who can shred. Shredding is cool, but it doesn't matter much if it doesn't connect with people. And, as sad as it makes some people, technicality isn't at the front of most music fans' minds. They want music that makes them feel, and as much as metalheads don't like hearing it, shredding doesn't invoke much emotion for most people.

Also, not really sure what is 'PC' about what I wrote. That's confusing. Nothing here is being sugarcoated with political correctness.

Offline max_security

« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks for replying, max. But right there you illustrate the same problem we're having with WildRanger. What if someone thinks Black Crows and Nickelback have decent solos? What if someone likes the guitar solo in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit even though a lot of metalheads shit on it? It's all subjective. Black Crows and Nickelback are still professional musicians, and, dare I say, make a better living than a lot of technically-obsessed progressive metal artists who can shred. Shredding is cool, but it doesn't matter much if it doesn't connect with people. And, as sad as it make people, technicality isn't at the front of most music fans' minds. They want music that makes them feel, and as much as metalheads don't like hearing it, shredding doesn't invoke much emotion for most people.

Also, not really sure what is 'PC' about what I wrote. That's confusing. Nothing here is being sugarcoated with political correctness.

Understood. , the problem is ( was ) the outlet ( record industry ). The cool thing about today is that 1 asshole doesn't determine what we listen to anymore. I sincerely hope that this helps the ass - buster players out there . 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: May 22, 2020, 08:29:51 AM »
Thanks for replying, max. But right there you illustrate the same problem we're having with WildRanger. What if someone thinks Black Crows and Nickelback have decent solos? What if someone likes the guitar solo in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit even though a lot of metalheads shit on it? It's all subjective. Black Crows and Nickelback are still professional musicians, and, dare I say, make a better living than a lot of technically-obsessed progressive metal artists who can shred. Shredding is cool, but it doesn't matter much if it doesn't connect with people. And, as sad as it make people, technicality isn't at the front of most music fans' minds. They want music that makes them feel, and as much as metalheads don't like hearing it, shredding doesn't invoke much emotion for most people.

Understood. , the problem is ( was ) the outlet ( record industry ). The cool thing about today is that 1 asshole doesn't determine what we listen to anymore. I sincerely hope that this helps the ass - buster players out there .

I'm still waiting for the follow-up to Chinese Democracy...  :hat