5 (12.2%)
★★★☆☆
9 (22%)
★★★★☆
11 (26.8%)
★★★★★
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Rate the Guns N' Roses version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"  (Read 18820 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Rate the Guns N' Roses version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »
Yes this discussion has been had several times. My input is again, why do people refuse to accept that you can make 2 lists of movies, 1 list of your favorites, the other of the best/well-made movies? I could list Avengers, Terminator 2, Aliens, Jurassic Park etc as my favorite movies to watch but also list 12 Angry Men, Casablanca, etc etc as the best ones I've seen. That's subjective vs objective and not based on someone else's opinion. No one else will acknowledge this?

Yeah, no, that's still subjective. There are a lot of films most people would agree are the best films ever made from a technical perspective, but there is still a great deal of subjectivity even in those. Literally the only thing you can go on is gathering opinions and ranking them that way, but there is no objective measurement even for films. Films are art just like music is. Casablanca might be a legendary film but I think it's a boring slog. Aliens and Jurassic Park aren't entertaining to me although Jurassic Park is an extraordinary technical achievement. Terminator sucks all around. Avengers was awesome for its time but I don't think it has aged well compared with what came after. etc.

You said it yourself: 12 Angry Men, etc. might be the best films YOU'VE seen. But nowhere close for me.

Tell me this: Is Iron Maiden objectively better than Godsmack?

What's your standard?   Number of studio records released? MAIDEN. Number of records sold in the U.S.?  Probably Maiden.  Global?  Maiden.  Number of guitar players?  Maiden.  Debut album sales?   Godsmack.   Lip rings on album covers?  Godsmack.

And none of those make any band better. So you can do objective measures, but none of it translates to overall better.

Of course it does; "overall better" is just an amalgamation of those individual lists.  If you don't have a repeatable, provable standard, it's all opinion.  Not "truth" or "fact".

Overall better only means those things if you decide that. By itself, it doesn't mean anything specific.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2020, 12:29:27 PM »

And yet, you'll do exactly that with Justin Beiber.  Interesting.

But, man, JB is not as acclaimed as Picasso. And he will never be.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »

On the other hand, Godsmack appears to have 4 Grammy nominations to zero for Maiden.

Because those people who have given them Grammy awards are idiots. They don't care for music as art form, they only care for commerce and making money.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
WR, thanks for responding to my questions, even though I feel you haven't provided substantial answers.

I gather you articulate your musical system of beliefs in "Truths", in the same vein a pious individual does with religion, so to speak.

This leaves me with one final question: if you deal in absolute truths, why are you polling our opinions on songs and artists?

I see two options here: either

A) You are secretly questioning your Religion of Objectiveness and - akin to a tired serial killer who unconsciously drops self-incriminating hints because he wants to get caught - a part of you is begging us pagans to liberate you and allow you to enjoy music without guilt

Or

B) You want to convert us.

A) is focking electrifying and I'm all for it, B) is no, thanks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:07 PM »

And yet, you'll do exactly that with Justin Beiber.  Interesting.

But, man, JB is not as acclaimed as Picasso. And he will never be.

Come back in 50 years and we can discuss this intelligently.

On the other hand, Godsmack appears to have 4 Grammy nominations to zero for Maiden.

Because those people who have given them Grammy awards are idiots. They don't care for music as art form, they only care for commerce and making money.

Are you ignorant that a Grammy nomination and a Grammy award are not the same thing?

The same "idiots" who nominated Godsmack in 2002 for best rock instrumental gave the actual award to Jeff Beck.  Are they still idiots?

The same "idiots" who nominated Godsmack in 2003 for best rock song gave the actual award to Bruce Springsteen.  Are they still idiots?

Etc., etc.

Also, you continue to miss the point -- a point which is so obvious to anyone of reasonable intelligence that I can only assume you're being intentionally obtuse:  If the criteria for "objectively better" is "who had more Grammy nominations," IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER that you or anyone else SUBJECTIVELY thinks that the artist wasn't "deserving" of the nomination.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
Trolls? In your forum? It's more likely than you think!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:22 PM »
Can you seriously claim that Stadler isn't an objectively better contributor to DTF than WildRanger?

Wait for it...

NO, YOU CANNOT!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »

This leaves me with one final question: if you deal in absolute truths, why are you polling our opinions on songs and artists?

Because people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »

Because people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

But we are all so obscenely subjective! How do you concile that with the Truth? Aren't we True people?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »

Back, elitist troll! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You shall not pass!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
And I will quote the correct statement that one member from DTF said in one of "subjective vs. objective" discussions. It could be useful.

Do you know what car I personally LOVE?   I wish I had one, but I don't.  But I want one someday.

A Chrysler PT Cruiser.   I think that car is SOOO cool looking.   

My car expert friends roll their eyes, and tell me I'm nuts, and that it's a crappy car.    But I actually think THEY are right.  Because I don't place my opinion on the same level as theirs.   I like the PT Cruiser better than better cars, but I'm open about the fact that I'm a dumbass when it comes to cars.   And that's all OK.  There's nothing wrong with saying, "I like Nickelback, even though I know that they actually suck.   I know there are people out there who know more about music than I do, and their opinions on music are more valid than mine BECAUSE they care more about it than I do.   I care more about GOLF (or insert whatever field of study you want) than they do, so if they ever want golf advice, I'll be there for them, and if I ever want to know more about music, they will be there for me."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:26:33 PM by WildRanger »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
Can you seriously claim that Stadler isn't an objectively better contributor to DTF than WildRanger?

Wait for it...

NO, YOU CANNOT!!!

Yeah!   You said it!   Wait...

Wut?

:loser:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

Are you sure?  The last song I listened to all the way through was... wait for it... "Watermelon Sugar" by Harry Styles

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 21, 2020, 01:41:10 PM »
And I will quote the correct statement that one member from DTF said in one of "subjective vs. objective" discussions. It could be useful.

Do you know what car I personally LOVE?   I wish I had one, but I don't.  But I want one someday.

A Chrysler PT Cruiser.   I think that car is SOOO cool looking.   

My car expert friends roll their eyes, and tell me I'm nuts, and that it's a crappy car.    But I actually think THEY are right.  Because I don't place my opinion on the same level as theirs.   I like the PT Cruiser better than better cars, but I'm open about the fact that I'm a dumbass when it comes to cars.   And that's all OK.  There's nothing wrong with saying, "I like Nickelback, even though I know that they actually suck.   I know there are people out there who know more about music than I do, and their opinions on music are more valid than mine BECAUSE they care more about it than I do.   I care more about GOLF (or insert whatever field of study you want) than they do, so if they ever want golf advice, I'll be there for them, and if I ever want to know more about music, they will be there for me."

You REALLY don't understand the point, my friend. Sorry. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
After all, Miles Davis is a fucking hack.  Has he ever had a #1 record?  Toured stadia?  Sold a million copies of any of his singles?  He doesn't belong in the same conversation as Justin Beiber.

Do you realize that Miles Davis has created his music in different time when the music industry was not ruled by some greedy, idiotic powerful motherfuckers as its case today? Miles Davis hasn't given a fuck about fucking commercial success. That's one of reasons why he is so respected as an ARTIST! Do you get that?

Offline Adami

« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
I love you all so much.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
I picked the wrong month to stop smoking weed.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »

Yeah, no, that's still subjective. There are a lot of films most people would agree are the best films ever made from a technical perspective, but there is still a great deal of subjectivity even in those. Literally the only thing you can go on is gathering opinions and ranking them that way, but there is no objective measurement even for films. Films are art just like music is. Casablanca might be a legendary film but I think it's a boring slog. Aliens and Jurassic Park aren't entertaining to me although Jurassic Park is an extraordinary technical achievement. Terminator sucks all around. Avengers was awesome for its time but I don't think it has aged well compared with what came after. etc.

You said it yourself: 12 Angry Men, etc. might be the best films YOU'VE seen. But nowhere close for me.

Is "The Godfather" objectively great?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
After all, Miles Davis is a fucking hack.  Has he ever had a #1 record?  Toured stadia?  Sold a million copies of any of his singles?  He doesn't belong in the same conversation as Justin Beiber.

Do you realize that Miles Davis has created his music in different time when the music industry was not ruled by some greedy, idiotic powerful motherfuckers as its case today? Miles Davis hasn't given a fuck about fucking commercial success. That's one of reasons why he is so respected as an ARTIST! Do you get that?

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, Columbia Records (1970)
Tony Bennett - Tony Sings the Great Hits of Today!, Columbia Records (1970)

Offline Adami

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »

Is "The Godfather" objectively great?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »
It stinks. Dylan version is the best version, the idea that people can't stand Dylan's vocals but like Axl's is pretty funny to me. Different strokes I guess!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »
It stinks. Dylan version is the best version, the idea that people can't stand Dylan's vocals but like Axl's is pretty funny to me. Different strokes I guess!

Whoa, stay on topic, please.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
Don’t go and bullshit about Miles Davis, who explicitly dropped the bebop, modal jazz etc. etc. to cocreate the first wave of fusion and drawing in lots of contemporary pop music into jazz, essentially trying to bring jazz to a wider audience. He was a great innovator, absolutely, but don’t let that distract you from the fact that he indeed wanted to be heard. And he succeeded, for the 70s and 80s were his most commercially succesful period.

But what does it matter that I’m typing this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »

:lol :lol :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »

Yeah, pretty much every word of that is demonstrably false.  :rollin  You really have earned yourself zero credibility when it comes to discussing music here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm really uncomfortable ganging up on the poor dude. He just sees things differently than most of us.

Reminds me of a chap we used to have at mp.com. Seventh. Sometimes I wonder if WR is related. Maybe the 7th son of Seventh's sons.

Anyhoo--continuing the discussion is pointless. This is objectively true.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »
He doesn't "see things differently," he's a blatant troll, more obvious now than ever

Offline emtee

« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »
He doesn't "see things differently," he's a blatant troll, more obvious now than ever

In a way, but I think he truly believes his arguments and reasoning are logical.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2020, 02:57:31 PM »

Justin Bieber gets tons of appreciation. I can’t stand his music, but a lot of people love it.

He is nowhere near as appreciated and acclaimed as i.e. Kanye West. Justin Bieber doesn't have something like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" in his catalog.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
I'd rather listen to Beiber than Axl. Just don't get the appeal of GnR at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »

Justin Bieber gets tons of appreciation. I can’t stand his music, but a lot of people love it.

He is nowhere near as appreciated and acclaimed as i.e. Kanye West. Justin Bieber doesn't have something like "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" in his catalog.

Whatever the hell that is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »

:lol :lol That actually made me laugh
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #208 on: May 21, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »

Whatever the hell that is.

Just one of the most critically and publicly acclaimed albums of the last decade.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: May 21, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
Perhaps when Bieber matures into a gay fish himself, he, too, will enter the WildRanger Pantheon of Artistic Greatness