Poll

Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?

Yes
7 (21.9%)
No
18 (56.3%)
Unsure
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Is there a correlation to intelligence and listening to certain kind of music?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Anyone who thinks they're smarter for listening to a certain type of music is a pretentious ass.

That's exactly what someone dumber than me would say!

If only i listened to more Queensryche and Fates Warning...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyone who thinks they're smarter for listening to a certain type of music is a pretentious ass.

That's exactly what someone dumber than me would say!

I don't think the old lady in the gold dress in the front row is wearing a bra. You can't unsee them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
It's 30 Helens agree but I know you wouldn't k ow the show it's from. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Go home, you're drunk.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I know the show.

It's called The Real Grannies Of New Hampshire.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Easy TAC Jr.  Lol

Google it.

I know the show.

It's called The Real Grannies Of New Hampshire.

I just gave you the name of the skut. :facepalm: :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Google it.

That's just asking for ...............TAC:  "What's Google?"

Unless you like country and rap, then your just stupid...JK.  :biggrin:   

Until you spelled it out I never realised

CountryRAP

I have a feeling there might be an inverse correlation between intelligence and time spent in these threads.  Cya :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know what google is. I just don't know what a skut is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Look at the page before about Google.   Lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Skit you fucker. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Skut you ficker 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Wait, are you calling me TAC Jr? I mean, I am pretty crotchety, but I'm not that bad.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wait, are you calling me TAC Jr? I mean, I am pretty crotchety, but I'm not that bad.

Not knowing the show that's from.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Not knowing the show that's from.

I rarely watch TV, so I wouldn't be able to name any newer shows, especially reality shows. Those shows are cancer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kids In The Hall.  A sketch comedy show on HBO from Lorne Michaels of SNL fame.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
KITH is great.

There's a Mike Tyson joke waiting to be made there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Oh, well now I definitely won't be watching.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've seen Kids In The Hall. Like over 30 years ago.

"I'm squishing your head."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
And the Men In Black got to you Tim.

Zook, your loss.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Oh, well now I definitely won't be watching.

It's funny
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This escalted quickly.

I voted yes but as others have said, it's very vague.  Perhaps intelligence level would relate more to taste as opposed to being able to enjoy a certain style based on how intelligent one is. 

I think you do have to be a certain type of person to enjoy a lot of the music we all enjoy though.  I'm a smart guy and where I live, I just never come across people liking a lot of the bands I do.  Even back in the day when I was in bands and worked as a music store, everyone was so mainstream in what they liked.  Those people like me are out there I'm sure, but I couldn't be fucked looking for them.  Even people I do come across that like metal, again you try and delve into more obscure bands and all you get is a blank stare.

It's funny, I go out running and just have music going through my phone.  I don't wear earbuds or anything but I like to have long songs when I'm running (Crimson, Light of Day, Winter's Gate, some Agalloch maybe) and the looks I get from every single person I run past is priceless.  I love it. 

I do personally feel though on a whole what people listen to represents their intelligence level somewhat, but probably not everyone.  But I'm pretty bitter and negative so it's probably just me lol.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I will also say I wouldn't say Wildranger is a troll.  I'm not sure his motives behind a lot of his threads are and just posting a topic and not engaging in the conversation is strange I admit, but I think troll is a little harsh.  I do think anyone that starts a thread has the responsibility to take control and ownership of it in some way and heavily engage and steer the discussion if needed.  Sitting back and vanishing after starting a topic is strange.  Unless he's trying to post controversial topics and disappearing in the hope to start arguments between people, I don't know.  I can see how that would be deemed troll like, but I don't think that are his motives at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Volante99

This HAS been researched somewhat; after some simple Googling- it looks like preferences towards instrumental music may be a predictor of higher intelligence.

Looks like there is some evidence that taste in music can also be a predictor in personality type.

I would assume being introduced to music at an early age would be a good predictor of intelligence- if parents are actively engaging their children (through music) then most likely those children (as an average) will show better school performance, testing, what have you. But that’s just speculation. We do know that music serves as good learning devices (A,B,Cs for example) and increases vocabulary.

I put unsure, though, as I’m not a psychologist and I haven’t studied this AT ALL beyond the surface.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:17:27 PM by Volante99 »

Offline ChuckSteak

I am not sure about the answer to this, I haven't done the research, so I can only talk from personal experience and intuition. Yes, I believe it certainly does to a certain extent, although I wouldn't say it is a rule like "if you like this kind of music you are smarter than (fill in the blank)" or "by liking this kind of music makes you immediately dumber". But it certainly says something about your personality, how do you process information, emotions, etc.

Then the topic of interest comes up. How many people actually listen to a certain kind of music because they REALLY like it and are truly interested in music in general? How many people are dumbed down and just follow blindly whatever is considered "acceptable" or society deems as "good music", so they listen to the same kind of music the group does to fit in and be accepted and not to be labeled as "weirdos" or "nerds" or whatever. Can we say such a person "likes" the music? Even when it is obviously influenced by some external pressure and there is actually not much freedom to like what you like without being stigmatized? Are you free to enjoy what you genuinely like without the threat of losing your attachment to your friends? I believe many people are not.

So it is a very complicated question and a lot of factors have to be taken into account.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:34:53 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
There have been studies CORRELATING* higher intelligence (using IQ) with both classical music and instrumental music.   

The problem, though, is that word "correlating".  In the context of Wild Ranger's other thread about the "objectivity" of "good music", the tendency is to take a numerical piece of data - IQ - and use it to quantify the "subjective".   It doesn't work that way.  "Correlation" is not "causation", either way.  So someone that listens to classical music, for example, cannot use that to claim a level of "intelligence", and just because one listens to country and western or rap,  others cannot make guesses about their intelligence.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

I voted no, but I think it's important to define what we're talking about here. If intelligence means the ability to understand music theory, then I think music with complex levels of music theory would indicate more intelligence. If intelligence means the ability to understand political or social issues, then maybe more lyrical genres like punk, folk, singer-songwriter, or rap would indicate more intelligence. If intelligence means creative intelligence, then avant garde music may be an indicator of that (since the person will likely have their own unique interpretation of that kind of music). If "intelligence" is taken literally in that the person does a lot of thinking or enjoys focusing on complex things outside of music, then relaxing ambient or study music could be an indicator.

But of course, there are exceptions to all of those correlations. Just because someone likes complex music doesn't mean they understand what's going on in it, just because someone likes music with a lyrical focus doesn't mean that said lyrics are always profound, just because someone likes avant garde music doesn't mean that they think deeply about what each element of the music means to them, & just because someone likes ambient music doesn't mean they're deep in concentration whenever they listen to it.

In writing this, I present my own definition of intelligence: the ability to understand new concepts without difficulty. From that perspective, the question of whether there's a correlation between one specific genre of music & a higher level of intelligence is "yes: a negative one", because it demonstrates an inability to learn new concepts & ideas beyond one's own already-existing understanding.

But even that conclusion has its issues. For example, if someone had absolutely zero level of critical thought (i.e. probably not very much intelligence), then they would like every type of music known to mankind. On the other hand, an inability to enjoy other styles of music doesn't mean that someone couldn't learn about the styles' background & the appeal it has to some people. On the other other hand, just because someone isn't musically intelligent doesn't mean that they can't be intelligent in other areas of their life.

Also for the record, by my own definition, I'm a fucking idiot. :P

So I think it's a personal question because intelligence can be interpreted in so many different ways, but for me, the answer is "no", because the vagueness of the question means that correlation can't be quantified in any definitive meaningful way.

TL;DR No, because intelligence covers so many different areas of the abilities of a person, & in any definition that could be correlated to certain musical styles, there will always be exceptions that don't listen to that style for the reasons you assume they do.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。