Author Topic: Ten years without Ronnie James Dio - a look back at his discography  (Read 2067 times)

Online MirrorMask

It's ten years by now that we've lost Ronnie James Dio. Of all the deaths that occoured since then in the musical world, his is still one of the hardest for me,  and a decade ago the musical world lost a legend, a giant not in stature but in importance. His run of albums between 1975 and 1983, where he created legendary and historical albums alongside Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi and by himself, is one of the biggest and most impressive series of album in the entire history of the genre.

I've had the supreme pleasure of seeing him live three times, one solo at Wacken, and two with Heaven and Hell, here are the shows I've seen of him:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dio/2004/hauptstrasse-wacken-germany-33d45cdd.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/heaven-and-hell/2007/idroscalo-segrate-italy-1bd72940.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/heaven-and-hell/2009/stadio-brianteo-monza-italy-bd6613a.html

What I wanted to do is look back at his massive body of work, and - like I did in the Judas Priest and Alice Cooper threads - have a shout out for lesser famous songs, to pick a song from each album that isn't the usual Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver, to go past the "hits" and remember the many, many great songs Dio sang on,choices aren't exactly lacking!

So, let's start....

ELF

This thread is a spur of the moment idea, and I have other stuff to do today so I don't really have time to go back to the Elf albums. BUT, let it be known and remembered that Dio's carrer started with this rock n' roll band (or better: his carrer in this genre of music!), and that they made three nice albums that are a vintage pearl to discover for all Dio fans!

Here's a quick reminder of the band: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf_(band)

Anyone who remembers some Elf songs is more than welcomed to post them!

RAINBOW

The partnership of Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie Blackmore created three legendary albums  that are still legend and royalty in this genre, and I would have traveled to the ends of the Earth to witness a reunion of these two. At least I've to to hear at least once Ronnie singing some Rainbow classics.

RITCHIE BLACKMORE's RAINBOW: On the debut album I want to remember Self Portrait, little moody song that was revisited also by Blackmore with Blackmore's Night.

RISING: While I still want to say how the famous Stargazer is one of the best mid-tempo songs of the genrre EVER recorded, on this album I like also the not exactly famous Run with the Wolf, a cool little interesting tune that is not overboad cheesy as, say, Do you Close your Eyes.

LONG LIVE ROCK N' ROLL: The closing track, Rainbow Eyes, is a hauntingly desolate and delicate ballad with an impressive soft performance from Ronnie, and one of the most beautiful ballads of the band.

BLACK SABBATH

From a legend to another: from Blackmore to Iommi, from Rainbow to revitalizing Black Sabbath and putting his spin on the band with two awesome albums.

HEAVEN AND HELL: Leaving the four uber-famous songs from this record be, Lonely is the World is a nice closing track for the album, with a strong performance from Ronnie.

MOB RULES: I'm gonna cheat and name two songs: Country Girl, which I find catchy and irresistible (so nice to hear a snippet with Heaven and Hell, the band!) and the desolate closing track, Over and Over, a song fo melanchonic rainy days where nothing goes right. Gut wretching swan song of Dio with the original incarnation of the Dio-led Sabbath, until 10 years later of course.

DIO SOLO CARRER

HOLY DIVER: Well, every song is basically a hit here, it's hard to pick a forgotten one; I'll go for the final track, Shame on the Night, just one of many examples where Ronnie's delivery elevate lyrics that in the hands of a lesser singer would just sound weird. "SHAME ON YOU!"

THE LAST IN LINE: One Night in the City has a cool '80s feel, and while they're not as famous as Tommy and Gina, the story of Johnny and Sally deserves to be heard as well.

SACRED HEART: Another light but catchy song is Hungry for Heaven, it's always been on my favorite half of songs on this one.

DREAM EVIL: I've always appreciated Naked in the Rain, a moody mid tempo with evocative lyrics. But I'm gonna cheat again 'cause I cannot avoid to mention All the Fools Sailed Away, one of Dio's best solo songs ever. Emotional from beginning to end!

LOCK UP THE WOLVES: Not the biggest fan of this record, so I'm gonna go easy with this one, and pick the fast and energetic opening track, Wild One.

BLACK SABBATH... Again

DEHUMANIZER: The reunion with Iommi gave way for a fantastic album, heavy and modern. One of my favorite Sabbath albums. I bring back to everyone's attention Too Late, a foreboding song of warning about the dangers of meddling with things we don't understand in true Dio style. Fantastic song.

DIO SOLO CARRER... Reprised

Out of Sabbath and into STRANGE HIGHWAYS, another album that is good in retrospect, but wasn't exactly a hit back in the day. If picking the menacing title track is a too "safe" choice, I'll go for One Foot in the Grave, always liked its wicked delivery.

ANGRY MACHINES: My least favorite Dio album. I don't really remember any of the songs anymore, but This is Your Life is a wonderful piano ballad that redeems the record. Heartbreaking.

MAGICA: Now this is more like it! the new millenium started with a strong Dio album, of which I want to praise another heart wrenching slow piece, As Long as It's Not about Love. One of his best slower songs.

KILLING THE DRAGON: On this album there's the very touching Throw Away the Children, about child abuse. The choir at the end is spine chilling and Dio obviously delivers with a lot of emotion.

MASTER OF THE MOON: Some great songs on his final solo album; I've always found I Am one of the best and the catchiest.

Black Sabb.... No wait,now it'S HEAVEN AND HELL

Dio ended his carrer on an absolute high, reuniting with Tony Iommi and resurrecting de facto the Dio version of Sabbath. It was beyond amazing seeing their concerts, and on top of a reunion tour, came....

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW: Uncompromising, ultra heavy and unpredictable. They could have done an easier album, trying to rewrite another Neon Knights, but they went full doom metal on this one. The album closes with a majestic eerie and plodding song, Breaking into Heaven, about the rebelled fallen angels who come back to heaven for round 2. Dio had long before broke into legend however, and that's where he will forever remain, one of the greatest.

LONG LIVE ROCK N' ROLL
LONG LIVE RONNIE JAMES DIO!

\m/

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
One of my regrets is that I've never been able to see him live. I enjoy most of his works, I think his Rainbow albums and first two Sabbath albums are fantastic, and his first few solo albums also kick major ass. I really enjoyed The Devil You Know too, there are some real bangers on it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ozzy554

I still really need to dig into his later solo albums. Those and ELF are really the only parts of his career I'm not overly familiar with.

Also always nice to see some love for All the Fools Sailed Away which is my personal favorite Dio song.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online HOF

I don’t own any of his records, and I can’t say I’m a huge fan of this style of music anymore, but growing up I always loved his voice. I used to crank songs like Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver, and Stand Up and Shout back during the metal phase of my life.

Offline Mladen

I am a big fan of various phases of Dio's career. Of the Rainbow albums, I think Rising pretty much nailed it. Heaven and hell is in my opinion the best Sabbath record Dio was on, although Dehumanizer is pretty dark and menacing as well.

There are plenty of good releases throughout the solo career. The first three are obviously classics, but as far as more underrated or forgotten albums go, my favorites would have to be Master of the moon, Angry machines and Lock up the wolves.

I've always been meaning to check out the Elf albums, but I keep procrastinating. Someday I will dig into those records, I'm sure.

Offline max_security

I saw him on the " Last In Line " tour at Merriweather Post Pavilion . The only time I had " lawn seats " . It was like fog - mist that night and the lights projecting out of the pavilion made a rainbow at the edge of the lawn.

Heaven And Hell is my favorite from him as far as an entire album. I think Martin Birch produced that but whoever it was a really good director for Ronnie's vocal applications. But I do like most of the Rainbow too ( Man On The Silver Mountain ). That guy put in 100 percent on whatever he was doing for sure man. RIP RJD.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:50:23 AM by max_security »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So...

Awesome thread Andrea!

I love the Elf albums. You gotta remember that Elf (minus the guitarist) was the band on the first Rainbow album. Dio's young voice is really nice, and it blends well with the Elf music. Kind of rock n roll hillbilly music. And the first Rainbow album is probably my favorite of the three. As great as Stargazer and A Light In The Black is, I'll take the first album to a desert island.

Heaven And Hell is a landmark album for me. It's one of my all time favorites. Mob Rules is excellent, and it's at that point (along with Holy Diver) where I think Ronnie reaches his vocal peak. Falling Off The Edge Of The World is one his greatest performances. I like Dehumanizer, and while I don't think The Devil You Know is a great album by any stretch, I think Ronnie sounds fantastic on it.
And the Neon Nights Live In Europe is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Actually, I should say the same for Rainbow On Stage.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
DIO SOLO CAREER

HOLY DIVER: Well, every song is basically a hit here, it's hard to pick a forgotten one; I'll go for the final track, Shame on the Night, just one of many examples where Ronnie's delivery elevate lyrics that in the hands of a lesser singer would just sound weird. "SHAME ON YOU!"

THE LAST IN LINE: One Night in the City has a cool '80s feel, and while they're not as famous as Tommy and Gina, the story of Johnny and Sally deserves to be heard as well.

SACRED HEART: Another light but catchy song is Hungry for Heaven, it's always been on my favorite half of songs on this one.

DREAM EVIL: I've always appreciated Naked in the Rain, a moody mid tempo with evocative lyrics. But I'm gonna cheat again 'cause I cannot avoid to mention All the Fools Sailed Away, one of Dio's best solo songs ever. Emotional from beginning to end!

LOCK UP THE WOLVES: Not the biggest fan of this record, so I'm gonna go easy with this one, and pick the fast and energetic opening track, Wild One.

DIO SOLO CARRER... Reprised

Out of Sabbath and into STRANGE HIGHWAYS, another album that is good in retrospect, but wasn't exactly a hit back in the day. If picking the menacing title track is a too "safe" choice, I'll go for One Foot in the Grave, always liked its wicked delivery.

ANGRY MACHINES: My least favorite Dio album. I don't really remember any of the songs anymore, but This is Your Life is a wonderful piano ballad that redeems the record. Heartbreaking.

MAGICA: Now this is more like it! the new millenium started with a strong Dio album, of which I want to praise another heart wrenching slow piece, As Long as It's Not about Love. One of his best slower songs.

KILLING THE DRAGON: On this album there's the very touching Throw Away the Children, about child abuse. The choir at the end is spine chilling and Dio obviously delivers with a lot of emotion.

MASTER OF THE MOON: Some great songs on his final solo album; I've always found I Am one of the best and the catchiest.

Holy Diver is literally one of my favorite albums.  I literally remember the local heavy metal radio show debuting Stand Up And Shout and Straight Through The Heart. I was blown away. One of the finest albums ever. Ever.

Last In Line is excellent. It's highest points rival Holy Diver.

I remember being totally disappointed with Sacred Heart, but I feel it has aged well. His work with Vivian is his finest work It's a shame they couldn't survive together.

I think Dream Evil is outstanding. But Craig Goldie is no Vivian Campbell. Hell yes, All The Fools Sailed Away is amazing.

I am here to say that Lock Up The Wolves is AMAZING!!! This album is fantastic. the production is incredible, and it still sounds great today. I don't know why people have such an issue with this. Sacred Heart was a huge letdown and Dream Evil was so safe. Lock Up The Wolves reflects an artist that is reaching again.

After an absence, Strange Highways appeared out of nowhere. When I bought it in 1993, I got it through Import mail order. I was quite thrown off by it at first. Not a huge fan of his new guitarist Traci G. But Strange Highways has aged wonderfully. This album is loaded with great tracks.

Unfortunately, Angry Machines is easily my least favorite Dio album.

Magica is OK. Not great, but OK. It got me interested in what would follow.

I actually like Killing The Dragon. I mean, it's still a lower tier Dio album, but it's highly enjoyable. But Doug Aldritch proves to be as exciting as Craig Goldie. He is simply not up to the task of matching Dio musically. It's an OK album, meaning I don't hate it.

And Master Of The Moon was such a weak album to go out on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
My Dio shows:

8/20/84  Providence Civic Center
9/11/85 Providence Civic Center
6/18/86 Providence Civic Center
12/27/87 Providence Civic Center
8/5/90 Providence Civic Center
8/8/92 (Black Sabbath) Orpheum Theater, Boston
6/16/94 The Strand, Providence
9/15/94 The Strand, Providence
7/14/98 Celebrity Theater, Phoenix, AZ (opening for Iron Maiden)

June 18, 1986
Providence Civic Center

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Sadly, it took his death for me to actually dig into his music. Didn't really own much of anything when he died. Now I have it all. All 3 Elf records, all 3 Rainbow records, all his Sabbath stuff via the Rules of Hell box and Dio Years CD plus all the Heaven & Hell stuff, and I just completed his solo discography with the reissues of his post-Strange Highways albums. I bought the now out-of-print Decade of Dio box that contained his first 6 solo records.

I agree with TAC, those Elf albums are a fun listen. Just good Southern Rock. A lot of piano based rockabilly type stuff. Check out Hoochie Koochie Lady from the first Elf album. Great intro to the band and their sound.

A standout song from his career for me is Bible Black. The power he sings with on that track and at that age. The riffs are just awesome. So sad that we never got a follow-up album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

Re: Ten years without Ronnie James Dio - a look back at his discography
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 03:21:24 AM »
I think his Rainbow albums and first two Sabbath albums are fantastic, and his first few solo albums also kick major ass. I really enjoyed The Devil You Know too, there are some real bangers on it.

Hard to disagree with any of that!

Also always nice to see some love for All the Fools Sailed Away which is my personal favorite Dio song.

:metal

Heaven And Hell is my favorite from him as far as an entire album. I think Martin Birch produced that but whoever it was a really good director for Ronnie's vocal applications.

Indeed Martin Birch was the producer. I remember it because Bruce Dickinson, in his autobiography, recalls his struggles to nail the intro to The Number of the Beast and Birch told him that Dio had similar issues in singing the song Heaven and Hell.

And the first Rainbow album is probably my favorite of the three. As great as Stargazer and A Light In The Black is, I'll take the first album to a desert island.

The only "problem" with the Dio Rainbow albums is that it's hard to find a clear favorite because all records have monumental masterpieces, but some other songs that, while I wouldn't call them "turds", are not exactly up to par with the rest. I mean, Do You Close your Eyes and Stargazer on the same album?

About the other albums, I don't think Lock up the Wolves is THAT bad, it's just that I hardly found other songs to come back to, but I like for example the eerie title track. Strange Highways is good-ish either, but yeah, Angry Machines.... not exactly an album to remember.

I think that all things considered Master of the Moon is slightly better than Killing the Dragon however.

My Dio shows:

8/20/84  Providence Civic Center
9/11/85 Providence Civic Center
6/18/86 Providence Civic Center
12/27/87 Providence Civic Center
8/5/90 Providence Civic Center
8/8/92 (Black Sabbath) Orpheum Theater, Boston
6/16/94 The Strand, Providence
9/15/94 The Strand, Providence
7/14/98 Celebrity Theater, Phoenix, AZ (opening for Iron Maiden)

Awesome!!! :metal

A standout song from his career for me is Bible Black. The power he sings with on that track and at that age. The riffs are just awesome. So sad that we never got a follow-up album.

That is indeed an awesome song, Dio and Iommi were a match made in heaven.... and hell  :biggrin:

I'm sad too about not getting a second album, the band was getting along well and I'm quite sure they would have done it. Iommi kept the ultra heavy and doomish approach for Sabbath's 13 anyway, I can imagine Dio singing End of the Beginning for example.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 04:02:51 AM »
Been a Dio fan for about 20 plus years.  My guitar teacher showed me Computer God and the voice I was hearing simply blew me away.  Loved the Sabbath stuff right away and got into his solo stuff not too long later.  I've found something to enjoy from everything regarding his solo work.  I've always been a bit of a fan of his later albums.  Killing the Dragon is a ripper if you ask me and I've always really loved Magica, that is simply a wonderful album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 06:11:27 AM »
For Dio enthusiasts, I'd like to point out a pretentious funny campy Roger Glover project from 1974 The Butterfly Ball and The Grasshopper's Feast featuring - among other guest vocalists -  a young soulful Ronnie taking on some "unusual" material. (tracks are Sitting in a Dream, Love Is All, and Homeward) 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »
I’m a huge DIO fan, from first hearing Rising. That album made my top 10 but from the first Rainbow album to Dream Evil he was legendary. I remember the excitement of getting the first DIO album and how awesome it was.

I’m not a huge fan of anything after Dream Evil, but the voice was still there.

I was privileged to see him live several times, the first at Monsters Of Rock at Donington Park and the last with Heaven & Hell at Manchester arena. He gave it his all.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
I first stumbled on to Dio around the time of Lock Up The Wolves and loved about half of that album............it struck me as bit unusual at the time having half Sabbath like plodders and half balls to the wall (or melodic) rockers.   Rowan Robertson had me  :eek with some of his pyrotechnics on that album and it was sad to see him just disappear from there.

I really had no idea of the Sabbath lineage either - Dio was Dio ,  Ozzy was Ozzy and Sabbath was fronted by Tony Martin  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 06:24:16 PM »
The only "problem" with the Dio Rainbow albums is that it's hard to find a clear favorite because all records have monumental masterpieces, but some other songs that, while I wouldn't call them "turds", are not exactly up to par with the rest. I mean, Do You Close your Eyes and Stargazer on the same album?

True!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
I first stumbled on to Dio around the time of Lock Up The Wolves and loved about half of that album............it struck me as bit unusual at the time having half Sabbath like plodders and half balls to the wall (or melodic) rockers.   Rowan Robertson had me  :eek with some of his pyrotechnics on that album and it was sad to see him just disappear from there.

I remember being kind of confused with LUTW. The slow marauding pieces kind of threw me. But those songs have really aged well. Rowan was excellent on this album. It's a shame because Traci G was awful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »

I remember being kind of confused with LUTW. The slow marauding pieces kind of threw me. But those songs have really aged well. Rowan was excellent on this album. It's a shame because Traci G was awful.

Controversial opinion incoming;

I LOVE what Tracy did with the solos on Inferno.  I really really like that live album.  Some of the solos rip.  He completely disrespects them, but for some reason, there's some really great guitar work going on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
I'd have to listen to that. I'll say this about him though. At least he had personality in his playing. Unlike Goldie and Aldritch, who couldn't be more vanilla. I mean, Dio did make some great songs with Goldie but he was never as creative as Vivian.

And I ran through Master Of The Moon today. That album blows. Other than One More For The Road and Shivers, it sucks. Dio sounds great, but he needs a partner on guitar that doesn't fucking blow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 06:49:17 PM »
I'd have to listen to that. I'll say this about him though. At least he had personality in his playing. Unlike Goldie and Aldritch, who couldn't be more vanilla. I mean, Dio did make some great songs with Goldie but he was never as creative as Vivian.

And I ran through Master Of The Moon today. That album blows. Other than One More For The Road and Shivers, it sucks. Dio sounds great, but he needs a partner on guitar that doesn't fucking blow.

Doug was a great fill in guy.  He does the job.  I know Brent rates him but I've never really been blown away with his guitar playing.  He always did a wonderful job with Dio live though.  He does have some great solos on Killing the Dragon, but yeah, Master of the Moon is pretty crap.  That's the only Dio album I've really been disappointed in.  Never really cared for Craig as a guitar player. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
So I can enjoy Killing The Dragon well enough.

Ranking:

Holy Diver
Last In Line
Sacred Heart/Dream Evil/Lock Up The Wolves
Strange Highways
Magica
Killing The Dragon
Angry Machines
Master Of the Moon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »
Sacret Heart
Holy Diver
Last In Line
Magica
Lock Up the Wolves
Strange Highways
Killing the Dragon/Dream Evil
Angry Machines
Master of the Moon

I never got the love for Dream Evil.  It's a nice album but just never really clicked with me 100%.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »

Doug was a great fill in guy.  He does the job.  I know Brent rates him but I've never really been blown away with his guitar playing.  He always did a wonderful job with Dio live though.  He does have some great solos on Killing the Dragon, but yeah, Master of the Moon is pretty crap.  That's the only Dio album I've really been disappointed in.  Never really cared for Craig as a guitar player.

I rate Aldrich to a certain extent , but with qualifications. Aside from a short period early in his career, I don't rate him as a songwriter (can be quite repetitive) and find his solo stuff boring but technically I think he is up there with the best in terms of legato/attack etc......   And my favourite performances of his (aside from W.A.S.P.  :P  ) are with bands that nobody listens to ...........Bad Moon Rising ,Lion and Hurricane. 

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
I was blown away when you said that about the Crimson Idol solos.  You can hear it on Arena of Pleasure now.  I've tried to find info on that to see if he played all because solos like the Idol don't sound like him, but I'm not an expert on what he sounded like back in the day so don't really know.  I should make a note to go back and listen to those bands you mentioned.

Anyway back on topic, I listed Sacred Heart as my fav Dio album.  That one always hit the spot.  Besides the awful production songs like the opener, title track, Just Another Day, Heaven and Kids are all classics IMO.  The title track may be my fav Dio song.  Viv's solo is brilliant.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
When was he in Hurricane? I saw them in 1987 open for Gary Moore.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »
What's a good starting album with Dio solo? Feel ashamed that I haven't explored his catalog.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 07:22:37 PM »
Anyway back on topic, I listed Sacred Heart as my fav Dio album.  That one always hit the spot.  Besides the awful production songs like the opener, title track, Just Another Day, Heaven and Kids are all classics IMO.  The title track may be my fav Dio song.  Viv's solo is brilliant.

So I remember when Sacred Heart was released and I was really disappointed by it. I could feel a huge let down, and suffice to say, the strife in the band manifested itself in the product.
Aside from King Of Rock n Roll, Sacred Heart, and Rock n Roll Children, there's not much meat on the album.

I was lucky enough to see the first leg of the tour with Vivian in 1985, and then the second leg with Craig Goldie in 1986.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 07:23:07 PM »
What's a good starting album with Dio solo? Feel ashamed that I haven't explored his catalog.

Holy Diver and then Last In Line. Those are the two true classics.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 07:27:04 PM »
I was blown away when you said that about the Crimson Idol solos.  You can hear it on Arena of Pleasure now.  I've tried to find info on that to see if he played all because solos like the Idol don't sound like him, but I'm not an expert on what he sounded like back in the day so don't really know.  I should make a note to go back and listen to those bands you mentioned.

I can save you the trouble.............he only played on Arena of Pleasure on Crimson Idol.  And it was perfect for the song

When was he in Hurricane? I saw them in 1987 open for Gary Moore.

He replaced Robert Sarzo late 80's and recorded the album Slave To The Thrill.   Probably not your cuppa tea but has some great playing (and one of the more controversial covers in rock/metal )

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 07:28:43 PM »

I can save you the trouble.............he only played on Arena of Pleasure on Crimson Idol.  And it was perfect for the song

Yeah, I thought listening after you mentioned that Arena of Pleasure might have been the only one.  Absolute ripper of a solo.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
RIpping solo but sounds like a lot of his others which is one of his downsides.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »
Already fixed smarty pants................you had about 30 secs to get that grab  ;D

You're quick mate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2020, 07:31:00 PM »
haha

Looks like I'm pretty quick too.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
Bloody hell  :rollin

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni