Poll

What are your favorites of these songs? (CHOOSE 3)

Raise the Knife
Pull Me Under
Scarred
Three Days
Finally Free
Blind Faith
Bridges in the Sky
Surrounded
Barstool Warrior
The Root of All Evil
The Dark Eternal Night
The Count of Tuscany
Lines in the Sand
Beyond This Life
In the Name of God

Voting closes: February 25, 2026, 07:46:24 AM

Author Topic: What are your favorites of these DT songs? (Part 2)  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: What are your favorites of these DT songs? (Part 2)
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
Surrounded
Scarred
Beyond This Life

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 10:30:48 PM »
Scarred
Finally Free
Surrounded
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 11:01:52 PM »
In fact, not so hard as the first one...

Pull me under
Surrounded
Lines in the sand

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 11:55:34 PM »
Finally Free
Surrounded
In The Name Of God
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Wow Scarred takes an early lead. Did not see that coming.

I agree.  I don't hate Scarred at all, but if I was stuck on an island with only 3 DT songs to listen to, that wouldn't be one of them.  But it apparently has a lot of appeal.

It just has every single element of a what I consider a perfect DT song. Others come very close, but this one just covers it all.

Scarred is the only song, alongside Finally Free, that I would have expected to lead. Fantastic track.

Pretty much.

The top 5 as I type this (actually a top 6) should surprise no one:

1. Scarred (6, 1)
2T. Surrounded (17, __)
2T. The Count of Tuscany (19, 1)
2T. In the Name of God (23, 1)
5T. Finally Free (8, 1)
5T. Blind Faith (11, 2)

The first number in parentheses represents where each song ranked after the "regular season" in the recent Dream Theater "league" conducted on the polls/survivors board.  The second number in parentheses represents where each song finished in its respective album tournament in the same "league."  Surrounded, which was knocked out in the first round by PMU, is the only song that wasn't voted either favorite or second favorite on its respective album.

In the "league" playoffs, Finally Free finished #2 (behind Metropolis) in the Petrucci Division.  Surrounded got knocked out by Metropolis in the semi-finals.

ITNOG was knocked out by Home in the quarterfinals of the Myung Division.

Scarred knocked out Blind Faith in the semi-finals of the Labrie Division and then lost to Learning to Live in the finals.  TCOT lost in the quarterfinals to ITPOE.

By contrast, Raise the Knife and The Dark Eternal Night finished in a 7-way tie for 94th place and missed the "playoffs."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline omie

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2020, 11:46:23 PM »
Pull Me Under
Scarred
Surrounded
 :tup

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »
Surrounded
Lines in the Sand
Blind Faith

...with Scarred just behind.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2020, 11:34:54 AM »
Scarred
In the Name of God
Surrounded

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
I honestly had no idea people actually liked Blind Faith. I didn't assume people despised it as much as I do, but I would have expected it to come in well towards the bottom of that already fairly mediocre list.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
It is rare that Dream Theater has a mediocre song.  imho.   :)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »
Bridges in the Sky
Surrounded
Lines in the Sand

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
I honestly had no idea people actually liked Blind Faith. I didn't assume people despised it as much as I do, but I would have expected it to come in well towards the bottom of that already fairly mediocre list.

Well I will explain why I love the song if you will explain why you hate it so much.
    • I love the dreamy psychedelic intro that reminds me of weed and acid trips from days gone by.
      I love that that dreamy part gives way to the ultra heavy parts in the chorus
      I love chord progression after the second chorus and the start into double time
      I love JP's guitar intro to the solo
      I love the piano break and then I love the choir patch after the break (Is that the first time JR used this patch since he first joined DT?)

This song is the very definition of progressive.

OK - your turn.  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

Shouldn't be surprising.

Did you participate in the "league" that finished a couple months ago?

BF finished second (to the title track) in both the regular season and playoffs for SDOIT, and it made the "sweet 16," only losing (to Scarred) in the semifinals of its division.

I could see not liking it, but to "despise" it?  Even the DT songs I don't like and consider to be at the bottom of the barrel I don't "despise."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »

Shouldn't be surprising.

Did you participate in the "league" that finished a couple months ago?

BF finished second (to the title track) in both the regular season and playoffs for SDOIT, and it made the "sweet 16," only losing (to Scarred) in the semifinals of its division.

I could see not liking it, but to "despise" it?  Even the DT songs I don't like and consider to be at the bottom of the barrel I don't "despise."
No, I rarely check into that sub. I'll vote in the occasional survivor if there's a tiebreaker going on or something, but mostly I forget it's there. And truth be told, the reason I so seldom participate is because of things like BF beating out the rest of the album.  :lol  And I want to make abundantly clear that I don't think others are wrong, or flawed in their opinions. I fully get the subjective nature of music. I simply recognize that my musical taste seldom jibes with the masses. In this case I assumed that it did, for some reason.

Well I will explain why I love the song if you will explain why you hate it so much.
    • I love the dreamy psychedelic intro that reminds me of weed and acid trips from days gone by.
      I love that that dreamy part gives way to the ultra heavy parts in the chorus
      I love chord progression after the second chorus and the start into double time
      I love JP's guitar intro to the solo
      I love the piano break and then I love the choir patch after the break (Is that the first time JR used this patch since he first joined DT?)

This song is the very definition of progressive.

OK - your turn.  :biggrin:
Fair enough. By and large, I just don't find it a particularly interesting song, particularly when compared to all of the greatness on the album. For dreamy and atmospheric, which I also really dig, Misunderstood and Great Debate blow it out of the water. The only part of it that stands out to me is a fairly rocking guitar solo, but considering the guitarist that's pretty much par for the course. And, I particularly don't like the vocals. That's often the case with JLB, and often not, so it's not the end of the world. Where it moved into despise territory was being subjected to live versions of it where I just can't stomach LaBrie's caterwauling. Both in person and on video. I think a lot of us can probably agree it's not the best song for him to be singing live, and for me it just became one of those "impossible to unhear" things. Now even the studio version bugs me.

None of this is anything I'd expect to apply to other people. If people like it more power to them. I just never realized that so many people thought so highly of it. From my perspective I kind of assumed it was a throwaway song on an otherwise wonderful album.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 06:26:55 PM »
I don't rate Blind Faith nearly as highly as I used to, but I still like it quite a bit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 06:28:59 PM »
Bart, Indiscipline actually has a pretty good breakdown in his Scenes From A Memory thread. It was one of the last songs he covered.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »

Fair enough. By and large, I just don't find it a particularly interesting song, particularly when compared to all of the greatness on the album. For dreamy and atmospheric, which I also really dig, Misunderstood and Great Debate blow it out of the water. The only part of it that stands out to me is a fairly rocking guitar solo, but considering the guitarist that's pretty much par for the course. And, I particularly don't like the vocals. That's often the case with JLB, and often not, so it's not the end of the world. Where it moved into despise territory was being subjected to live versions of it where I just can't stomach LaBrie's caterwauling. Both in person and on video. I think a lot of us can probably agree it's not the best song for him to be singing live, and for me it just became one of those "impossible to unhear" things. Now even the studio version bugs me.

None of this is anything I'd expect to apply to other people. If people like it more power to them. I just never realized that so many people thought so highly of it. From my perspective I kind of assumed it was a throwaway song on an otherwise wonderful album.
[/quote]

Well to each their own. I think Misunderstood and Great Debate as just meh but as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure (not that I think those songs are trash).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
El Barto is to Blind Faith as BlobVanDam is to Scarred. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2020, 01:39:58 PM »
Scarred
Bridges in the Sky
Lines in the Sand

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »
I’ve never heard Raise the Knife or Three Days before so I won’t mention those.
/methinks you need to bust out your copy of Score and enjoy the track following Innocence Faded!  ;)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
I’ve never heard Raise the Knife or Three Days before so I won’t mention those.
/methinks you need to bust out your copy of Score and enjoy the track following Innocence Faded!  ;)
No kidding.  Raise the Knife is one of my favorite DT songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Octawakeimages

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
Surrounded
Raise The Knife
Scarred

I've always loved Surrounded,  one of my top favorite Dream Theater songs ever!  Just heard Raise The Knife recently and absolutely love this song!  Too bad it was never released on the album,  I ended up just ordering the FII demos so I can have it.  Scarred has always been a favorite as well.