Author Topic: Your Favorite Albums of 2020  (Read 12524 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Your Favorite Albums of 2020 (so far...)
« Reply #175 on: December 24, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
Yeah this year was pretty underwhelming for me in terms of new releases. I did my best to make a top 5 but honestly the Pure Reason Revolution album is the only one that I truly think is excellent, the rest are all kinda close together in the good-but-not-great territory.

1: Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea (progressive rock)
2: Ulver - Flowers Of Evil (synthpop, electronic, new wave)
3: The Ocean - Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic (progressive metal)
4: Ihsahn - Telemark (EP) (blackened progressive metal)
5: Sordid Pink - Sordid Pink (pop, progressive metal)

That said, I wanted to make a top five for albums I *discovered* this year, because there were some truly amazing ones in there.

1: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven (post-rock)
2: Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika (symphonic black metal, folk metal)
3: Greet Death - New Hell (shoegaze / doomgaze)
4: Pure Reason Revolution - Eupnea (progressive rock)
5: White Ward - Futility Report (black metal)

Honorable Mention: Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World (progressive rock, stoner doom)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline romdrums

Re: Your Favorite Albums of 2020
« Reply #176 on: December 24, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
I checked out a lot of music this year, and these are the five that stood out to me the most:

Vulkan: Technatura
The Ocean Collective: Phanerozoic II
Solkyri: Mount Pleasant
covet: technicolor
sleepmakeswaves: These are Not Your Dreams
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Kram

« Reply #177 on: December 24, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
1. Pain Of Salvation - Panther (Clear No 1 for me)
2. Haken - Virus (Has moved up to No 2 on my Haken list)
3. Nick D'Virgilio - Invisible (Incredibly well written, well performed and well produced effort)
4. John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity (Best instrumental album I've heard in a long time. Excited for LTE)
5. Neal Morse - Sola Gratia (I don't think an album has ever grown so much on me)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2020, 03:43:38 PM »
I'm realizing that I kind of forgot about Ayreon.  I'll have to at least give it a listen.  I also need to listen to the Vanden Plas.  The first one was quite good - not mind blowing but very enjoyable.  Seems like a lot of people prefer the new one, which is encouraging.  Haken - I have to listen to it more.  I really do like them live, but the studio albums I can generally just listen to in small doses.

Here's my list, which is by most played.  I have a feeling the Fates will continue to move up.

Katatonia - City Burials - I don't even have the words for how much I love this album and have kind of depended on it (and most of the rest of their catalog) to get through this year.  This is beautiful and intense and heavy and not heavy and full of imagery and everything that makes Katatonia special.  I heard that they had the option to delay the release and chose not to, and I'm so grateful for that.

Conception - State of Deception - I didn't realize how much I played this one.  This is a great album, and so is the EP from 2018.  I didn't know about Conception until after they'd already disbanded, but I did see them at ProgPower and really liked Flow and Parallel Minds.  It's nice to have them back and have Kahn back. 

Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods - this is pretty awesome; beautiful and melancholic and yet vibrant. 

Kiko Loureiro - Open Source - Kiko's solo albums are always great and this one is no exception.

Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night - I really hope this isn't the last FW album, but if it is, it's a good one to go out on.  This album is a grower, and I like it more each time I hear it.

Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant - hasn't quite reached the heights of In Contact for me, but I still really like this one.  I hope they're eventually able to reschedule that US tour.

Green Carnation - Leaves of Yesteryear - I just wish this one was a bit longer.  The new original songs are great, I like the new version of the old one, and the Solitude cover is beautiful.

DGM - Tragic Separation - this is just a really nice album.  Great vocals and vocal melodies, really energetic. 

Mariucz Duda - Lockdown Spaces - this is kind of nice if I'm in the right mood.  It really pales in comparison to the Lunatic Soul album, though they probably shouldn't really be compared.  This one doesn't quite have the intensity I'd prefer.

Deathwhite - Grave Image - this was the first 2020 release that I bought.  I don't really have a lot to say about it.  It's not a favorite but I liked it enough to have listened to it 12 times and will surely continue to listen to it from time to time.

John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity - I was hoping for more from this one.  Some of it I really like; I didn't learn the song titles well but I believe Glassy Eyed Zombies is one.  Other songs were just kind of… I don't know.  Great playing but kind of irritating to listen to.

And just thought I'd give a mention to Leprous - Pitfalls, which came out last year.  I listened to it a ton this year and it still feels very new and sounds awesome.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
3. Оргия Праведников - Время Будить Королей

Something maybe related to truth - time something kings?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »

If my Russian isn't failing me (and granted it's extremely rudimentary and rusty), I'm pretty sure this translates to Righteous Orgy - Time to Awaken Kings???? Maybe Ruslan will chime in to tell me how bad my translation is  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »
Righteous Orgy sounds good to me! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »

If my Russian isn't failing me (and granted it's extremely rudimentary and rusty), I'm pretty sure this translates to Righteous Orgy - Time to Awaken Kings???? Maybe Ruslan will chime in to tell me how bad my translation is  :biggrin:

It's better than mine. :) I knew I had time right and that's about it.  Righteous is kinda sorta related to truth though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2020, 07:59:17 PM »
I haven't really heard much new albums this year.

But the ones I enjoyed are

Pain of Salvation - Panther
Puscifer - Existential Reckoning
John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity
Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man
Protest The Hero - Palimpset
Nightwish - Human :ll: Nature
Haken - Virus
Ayreon - Transitus

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #184 on: December 28, 2020, 01:48:40 AM »
In this particular order:

1. Haken - Virus
2. Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant
3. Neal Morse - Sola Gratia 
4. John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity
5. Pain Of Salvation - Panther

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #185 on: December 28, 2020, 01:52:19 AM »
Not a knock on anyone here who has listed it, but to me the Caligula’s Horse record was the most boring and predictable thing I have heard all year. Probably their worst album. I was really disappointed with it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2020, 02:24:13 AM »
I barely buy new albums anymore - but next year looks good, with new Mastodon and Dream Theater. Who knows. Maybe even a Metallica album in November ?

but this year - from what i can remember I enjoyed :

• Green Day : Father Of All... - Yes it's really short and a bit weird - but apart from BJA singing falsetto on the title track - it's not like their St Anger or anything... Sugar Youth, Graffitia, Fire,Ready, Aim

are amongst the best songs they've written. Plus several people think it was a contract filler - and I would add that I think ¡Uno! ¡Dos! and ¡Tre! was their first attempt at releasing enough albums

to complete their contract. And when WB told them the trilogy only counted as one album - they made Revolution Radio - then put out FOAMF to finish up. It doesn't explain why they continued to put

out new music on WB though. Maybe they're on a much smaller deal now ? Maybe just a distribution / promotional deal - but they can leave any time ? I dunno.

- I didn't buy it yet but I enjoyed " The Network - Money Money 2020 Part II " - it's not on Reprise AFAIK and I enjoyed it more than their first album.

• Biffy Clyro - A Celebration Of Endings. Great album and WAY better than Ellipsis... - which was patchy as hell beyond the singles. Opposites still my fave BC album.

• Therapy? - "Greatest Hits". A neat little album. All of their 12 charting hit singles - but re - recorded at Abbey Road studios as a live band then edited like a studio album.

Pretty neat. Something Metallica should do if they ever want to release a retrospective. Pick their 20 best loved songs and re-record them all at HQ so they all sound like an album.

I think that's it ! Most of my fave bands didn't do a new album this year or are doing one next year so hopefully that happens.

EDIT : • Trivium - What The Dead Men Say came out this year and that's another cracking album too.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
Not a knock on anyone here who has listed it, but to me the Caligula’s Horse record was the most boring and predictable thing I have heard all year. Probably their worst album. I was really disappointed with it.

If I remember correctly, you weren't really that into In Contact either were you?  In Contact was the first album of theirs that I heard and I loved it and listened to it a ton.  I never really got into the very first one, but probably have to listen to it more.  I thought the two in between were great.  With Rise Radiant, maybe it follows a similar flow to In Contact but isn't quite as good, but I still like it a lot.  I think Valkyrie is kinda meh (and so are the bonus tracks) but really like the rest.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Favorite Albums of 2020 (so far...)
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
I'm an idiot, here's my lsit:

1. Haken - Virus
2. Nightwish - Human II Nature
3. Unleash the Archers - Abyss
4. The Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic
5. Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant
6. Delain - Apocalypse and Chill
7. Alestorm - Curse of the Crystal Coconut
8. Avatar - Hunter Gatherer
9. Dynazty - The Dark Delight
10. Amaranthe - Manifest

and didn't make the cut (but in order)

Demons and Wizards - III
Temperance - Viridian
Sons of Apollo - MMXX

still to be released: Smashing Pumpkins and Less than Jake

Alright, after those two releases and discovering a new band, I have made one addition to the new top 10:

1. Haken - Virus
2. Nightwish - Human II Nature
3. Unleash the Archers - Abyss
4. The Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic
5. Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant
6. Delain - Apocalypse and Chill
7. Rave the Reqviem - Stigmata Itch
8. Alestorm - Curse of the Crystal Coconut
9. Avatar - Hunter Gatherer
10. Dynazty - The Dark Delight

... rest of my 2020 releases continuing in order:
Amaranthe - Manifest
Demons and Wizards - III
Less Than Jake - Silver Linings
Temperance - Viridian
Sons of Apollo - MMXX
Smashing Pumpkins - Cyr

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2020, 01:16:40 PM »
I'm realizing that I kind of forgot about Ayreon.  I'll have to at least give it a listen.  I also need to listen to the Vanden Plas.  The first one was quite good - not mind blowing but very enjoyable.  Seems like a lot of people prefer the new one, which is encouraging.  Haken - I have to listen to it more.  I really do like them live, but the studio albums I can generally just listen to in small doses.

Here's my list, which is by most played.  I have a feeling the Fates will continue to move up.

Katatonia - City Burials - I don't even have the words for how much I love this album and have kind of depended on it (and most of the rest of their catalog) to get through this year.  This is beautiful and intense and heavy and not heavy and full of imagery and everything that makes Katatonia special.  I heard that they had the option to delay the release and chose not to, and I'm so grateful for that.

Conception - State of Deception - I didn't realize how much I played this one.  This is a great album, and so is the EP from 2018.  I didn't know about Conception until after they'd already disbanded, but I did see them at ProgPower and really liked Flow and Parallel Minds.  It's nice to have them back and have Kahn back. 

Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night - I really hope this isn't the last FW album, but if it is, it's a good one to go out on.  This album is a grower, and I like it more each time I hear it.

Green Carnation - Leaves of Yesteryear - I just wish this one was a bit longer.  The new original songs are great, I like the new version of the old one, and the Solitude cover is beautiful.

John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity - I was hoping for more from this one.  Some of it I really like; I didn't learn the song titles well but I believe Glassy Eyed Zombies is one.  Other songs were just kind of… I don't know.  Great playing but kind of irritating to listen to.

Hated the Conception album.  The songs are just...I don't know, I found it unlistenable.  I don't think I even made it through the album all the way and I LOVE all the other Conception albums and all of Roy's work with Kamelot so I really wanted to like it, but I knew when I first heard the EP that it wasn't going to be my cup of tea and it's not.  Actually, you are the first person I've encountered who enjoyed "State of Deception" but I think it has more to do with the expectations of fans like me who have been with the band since the beginning. 

The Fates Warning album is good, but that's about it.  It's good.  I give it 3.5 stars, up from 3 stars a couple of months ago.  After the masterpiece that was "Theories of Flight" I had probably unrealistically high expectations for "Long Day Good Night" but it's kind of on par with "Darkness In a Different Light."  It's a solid album, but largely forgettable. 

The Green Carnation album was a very pleasant surprise.   I agree it could have been longer, but I'll take short and great over long and mediocre any day and twice on Sunday.

The John Petrucci album might be the year's biggest disappointment for me, but again, that has more to do with my unreasonably high expectations going in.   I've never been a big post rock or instrumental metal fan so an album like this is already starting out at a deficit with me.  I just can't really get into it.  I don't really have any strong criticism of it.  Maybe the songs are a bit forgettable.  Dude is still an incredible player and I will always admire his talent, but this album just didn't register with me at all. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »

If I remember correctly, you weren't really that into In Contact either were you?  In Contact was the first album of theirs that I heard and I loved it and listened to it a ton.  I never really got into the very first one, but probably have to listen to it more.  I thought the two in between were great.  With Rise Radiant, maybe it follows a similar flow to In Contact but isn't quite as good, but I still like it a lot.  I think Valkyrie is kinda meh (and so are the bonus tracks) but really like the rest.

I thought In Contact was good, but not as good as Bloom, which in turn I didn't think was as good as TTTT&RE :)

In Contact has some great stuff, like Graves which probably is in my top 5 CH songs. In Contact also had a bunch of memorable stuff, whether it be a melody, guitar solo or a chorus, and I thought Rise Radiant was very lacking in that sort of thing to the point that I can't really remember anything from the record apart from the fact it left me disappointed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »

I thought In Contact was good, but not as good as Bloom, which in turn I didn't think was as good as TTTT&RE :)

In Contact has some great stuff, like Graves which probably is in my top 5 CH songs. In Contact also had a bunch of memorable stuff, whether it be a melody, guitar solo or a chorus, and I thought Rise Radiant was very lacking in that sort of thing to the point that I can't really remember anything from the record apart from the fact it left me disappointed.

I 100% agree with this.  Rise Radiant was my disappointment of the year.  In Contact is probably my favorite of theirs, with Tide, Thief a close second.  For me, it felt like they were trying to be Haken and failed miserably.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »

Hated the Conception album.  The songs are just...I don't know, I found it unlistenable.  I don't think I even made it through the album all the way and I LOVE all the other Conception albums and all of Roy's work with Kamelot so I really wanted to like it, but I knew when I first heard the EP that it wasn't going to be my cup of tea and it's not.  Actually, you are the first person I've encountered who enjoyed "State of Deception" but I think it has more to do with the expectations of fans like me who have been with the band since the beginning. 
And I didn't really have any expectations and didn't expect to like it so much.  For some reason I've barely listened to the first two (and now see I screwed up the titles above - it should have been In Your Multitude instead of Parallel Minds) but Flow and IYM are great.  So many years later, I didn't expect much and didn't know how Kahn would even sound.  It really surprised me how much I enjoyed it.

The Fates Warning album is good, but that's about it.  It's good.  I give it 3.5 stars, up from 3 stars a couple of months ago.  After the masterpiece that was "Theories of Flight" I had probably unrealistically high expectations for "Long Day Good Night" but it's kind of on par with "Darkness In a Different Light."  It's a solid album, but largely forgettable. 
I like Darkness a lot actually.  I prefer Theories too, but Fates is just one of those bands that always seem to put out stuff that I enjoy.  It usually takes a few listens, but I always wind up liking it more and more.

The Green Carnation album was a very pleasant surprise.   I agree it could have been longer, but I'll take short and great over long and mediocre any day and twice on Sunday.

No argument there.  If they didn't have anything more they felt should go on the album I'm totally good with what they released.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2020, 04:47:07 PM »
I can't do a top 5 or 10 or 20 because not much has really stood out to me this year, all my favourite bands are due to release stuff next year. But my favourite album of 2020 is unequivocally John Petrucci's Terminal Velocity. I've played at least one of its songs every day since release, and no week has gone by when the whole thing didn't get a spin at least twice. I absolutely love it. Album of the year for me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2020, 07:31:11 PM »
Definitely their worst album. And it probably won't even make it into my top 50 of this year. Maybe not even Top 100. It's just so mediocre. I expected so much more from them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
I quite like Ride Radiant but a few others find it to be the disappointment of the year.  JP's album was disappointing for me and Kirk but Dave's album of the year.  I don't really have a point; I guess I just find it interesting how we experience the same album in different ways.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2020, 08:52:27 PM »
Top 10, in no order...

Dawn Of Solace-Waves
Burden Of Life-The Makeshift Conqueror
Testament-Titans Of Creation
Dark Forest-Oak, Ash, & Thorn
Skyforest-A New Dawn
Armored Saint-Punching The Sky
Bloody Tyrant-Myths Of The Islands
The Reticent-The Oubliette
Warbringer-Weapons Of Tomorrow
Carthagods- The Monster In Me

11-20, also in no order..

Thematic-Skyrunner
Paul Wardingham – Day Zero: Rise Of The Horde
TDW-The Days The Clock Stopped
Blue Oyster Cult-The Symbol Remains
Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins-Whore Of Babylon
Ensiferum-Thalassic
Son Of Sounds-Soundsphaera
Satan's Fall-Final Day
Pyramid Theorem-Beyond The Exosphere
Ivanhoe-Blood And Gold

Song of the year?
Dawn Of Solace-Lead Wings

So simple, but so addicting and amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
There's still a heap I need to check but at the moment mine is looking like;

Vanishing Point - Dead Elysium
Pyramaze - Epitaph
Warbringer - Weapons of Tomorrow
Sepultura - Quadra
British Lion - The Burning
Dynazty - The Dark Delight
My Dying Bride - The Ghost of Orion
Vega - Grit Your Teeth
Black Swan - Shake the World
Allen/Olzen - Worlds Apart

No real order but kind of is, if that makes sense.

Still have POS, FW, Vanden Plas, Heathen, Killer Be Killed, Stryper to check out, so there's a chance the last 3 could bump out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »

all of these takes are correct they have been on a consistent decline each album and the one this year was the breaking point for me, what a complete uninspired waste of time that was

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2020, 10:02:36 PM »

all of these takes are correct they have been on a consistent decline each album and the one this year was the breaking point for me, what a complete uninspired waste of time that was
Jim Grey knew when to end Arcane. Seems he can't do the same for Caligula's Horse.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »

Pyramaze - Epitaph
Sepultura - Quadra
Vega - Grit Your Teeth

Still have POS, FW, Vanden Plas, Heathen, Killer Be Killed, Stryper to check out, so there's a chance the last 3 could bump out.

I’m with ya on a few of those, but wasn’t terribly impressed with the Vega or Black Swan. And Allen/Olsen was 1/2 killer-1/2 filler. I’m really surprised to see you, who normally doesn’t like chick vocals, to rate it this high.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2020, 07:02:41 AM »

Pyramaze - Epitaph
Sepultura - Quadra
Vega - Grit Your Teeth

I’m with ya on a few of those, but wasn’t terribly impressed with the Vega or Black Swan. And Allen/Olsen was 1/2 killer-1/2 filler. I’m really surprised to see you, who normally doesn’t like chick vocals, to rate it this high.

I have a feeling Kade has only heard 10 albums he didn't dislike and the rest was softcock shit.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2020, 01:14:40 PM »

Pyramaze - Epitaph
Sepultura - Quadra
Vega - Grit Your Teeth

I'm surprised too mate honestly, but I found the songwriting on that one really good and Magnus even gave vibes of the old Allen/Lande stuff too.  Plus his guitar work was above standard.  I'd easily take that over We Are the Night.  I was a little disappointed in that one.

I guess I could replace the Black Swan with the Primal Fear truthfully, that just missed the cut but thinking now, I'd probably grab that to listen to over the Black Swan.  The Vega I just love their sound and style.  I've made no secret of that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »

Pyramaze - Epitaph
Sepultura - Quadra
Vega - Grit Your Teeth

I have a feeling Kade has only heard 10 albums he didn't dislike and the rest was softcock shit.

:lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »
I'll make a top 13, to be more proportional to the 12 months. I've heard about 40 new studio albums this year, but what stood out more were these releases:

1. Haken - Virus. Although my third favorite by Haken, behind Mountain and Affinity, still an amazing album!
2. The Night Flight Orchestra - Aeromantic. Well, they are always incredible excellent.
3. Soilwork - A Whisper of Atlantic EP - it lasts around 37 minutes, so I guess it qualifies as an album. I'm totally a fan of the present David Andersson era.
4. Sepultura - Quadra. Prog trash very creative and inspired! The instrumental quality of today Sepultura is the best of their entire career.
5. Sons of Apollo - XX. I already liked a lot the first and this one is even better.
6. Pain of Salvation - Panther. Great album! It's like a more experimental and refined follow-up of the previous album.
7. John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity. Amazing guitar album, very DT-ish in a lot of places. Also it has MP playing at his A game.
8. Derek Sherinian - The Phoenix. The best Derek's solo album. The songwritting is really great here.
9. Kansas - The Absence of Presence. This one is at the level of Freaks of Nature and Somewhere to Elsewhere (the best Kansas albums after the classic era IMO).
10. Nick D'Virgilio - Invisible Man. I would cut Money and Waiting for No One and I have my perfect version of it! Excellent songs and a very complete album in terms of rock styles.
11. Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night. Another amazing album from this band.
12-13. McStine/Minnemann - I / II. These 2 albums are the definition of great acessible art rock. What a combination of talents!

And a very honorable mention for these other 13 from:
Deep Purple, British Lion, Jeff Scott Soto, Kiko Loureiro, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Satriani, Neal Morse, Reb Beach, Mr Bungle, Illegal Aliens, 3 Rules, Project Alcazar and Octavision.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 09:13:06 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
I've listend a lot of new albums (probably over 100) this year which is a lot compared to other years mainly because of all the hours working from home.
About 30-40 had three or more spins and made some kind of impression which means I either bought them or are planning to play them more often in the next weeks.

If I have to make a list right now, this will be it.

1. The Ocean Collective - Phanerozoic II Mesozoic / Cenozoic
2. Draconian - Under a Godless Veil
3. Haken - Virus
4. Plini - Impulse Voices
5. A.A. Williams - Forever Blue
6. Orbit Culture - Nija
7. Rannock - Reflections Upon Darkness
8. Dool - Summerland
9. Light Field Reverie - Another World
10. The Reticent - The Oubliette
11. Pallbearer- Forgotten Days
12. Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou - May Our Chambers Be Full
13. Aleah - Aleah
14. Svalbard - When I Die, Will I Get Better?
15. Paradise Lost - Obsidian

Possible top 15 -20 after more spins:
Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night
Oceans of Slumber - Oceans of Slumber
Ulcerate - Stare Into Death And Be Still
pg.lost -Oscillate
Distant Dream - Point of View
Elder Omens

Other albums I liked:
John Petrucci - Terminal Velocity
Psychonaut - Unfold the God Man
Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin kynsi
Enslaved - Utgard
Unleash the Archers - Abyss
Intronaut - Fluid Existencial Inversions
Black Crown Initiate - Violent Portraits of Doomed Escape
Toundra - Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

Best Songs:
The Ocean - Jurassic / Cretaceous
Plini - Pan
Dool - Wolf Moon
Haken - Carousel
Draconian - Sleepwalkers

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
How in the hell did you ever make it to a Dream Theater forum?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 30, 2020, 08:05:52 PM »

Probably Haken.  The band DTF loves and I have no idea why.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the question here, but if that was directed at Nachtmerrie, Dream Theater was my gateway band to a lot of the bands on his list. And the rest were all recommendations by DTF members or members of the old Mike Portnoy forum.
aka Puppies_On_Acid