Author Topic: RIP Jerry Stiller  (Read 1674 times)

Online frogprog

RIP Jerry Stiller
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:00:30 AM »
One of the great ones that always made me laugh out loud

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: RIP Jerry Stiller
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:50 AM »
Somewhere he is at the afterlife's Del Bolca Vista.

R.I.P. to a true comedic legend.

Online frogprog

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:24:32 AM »
During the lockdown I have been watching a lot of King Of Queens re runs and he just kills me on that. Arthur Spooner had some of of the same weirdness as Frank Costanza but there was a softer side that he would show Carrie and Doug that George never got. Every time he did his signature faster and faster, louder and louder rants I belly laugh out loud. most of what came out of his mouth was so absurd! Also loved him on the Snakes and Arrrows(? ) skits.
Good for you Jerry, you are finally reunited with your partner Anne.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 07:26:24 AM »
Heard about it this money, sad news. I'll admit that I saw him on King of Queens before I saw him on Seinfeld and his performance was always the highlight of the show.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 07:27:57 AM »
Aw man :(

I'm sure I've seen him in plenty of things but I really can't think of any off the top of my head. I know him mainly for King of Queens because my parents love that show and still watch it often. He cracks me up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
I'm happy with all the references to King Of Queens; in my market, it's being run a lot in that 11:00, 11:30 pm timeframe, and I think that show is hilarious.   

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 07:38:51 AM »
... Also loved him on the Snakes and Arrrows(? ) skits...

It was R30:

https://youtu.be/67q4hqsx050?t=131

"I hope they play Bangkok, nah, they never play Bangkok!"  :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:34:46 AM »
Dang, I thought he was going to live forever.  :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »
I know he had a solid career before Seinfeld, but crazy that at a later point in life, he created two iconic (well, one iconic, and one amazing) supporting characters like he did.

I talked in another thread about supporting characters and how they are best when they (duh) support the show. A Frank Costanza show would never have worked. But man, having him in bits and pieces on Seinfeld (and King of Queens) was brilliance. Never before or since have characters like Frank and Estelle given insight in to how another character, George, is the way he is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
Oh duh Seinfeld  :facepalm:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Jerry is one of those comedians that will make you laugh by just his presence in a scene, atleast to me.

RIP
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 06:19:54 PM »
Oh wow, RIP Jerry.  Thanks for the festivus memories and miracles.  Great actor and comedy great.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 10:18:28 PM »
I did the Festivus 'Airing of Grievances' speech at my wedding reception... I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
I did the Festivus 'Airing of Grievances' speech at my wedding reception... I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!

Did you reach across too?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »

He stopped short
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 10:30:39 PM »

He stopped short

That's a nice move.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »
Stiller said in an interview years ago that David wanted him to play Frank much more subdued and even-keeled, the opposite of the yelling, hysterical Mrs. Costanza, played by Estelle Harris, but the actor knew that wouldn't work.

"We started rehearsing the first show, and she's screaming at me all the time and I am taking it. And I said to myself, 'I am going to get fired the same way as the other guy because nothing is happening onstage,'" Stiller recalled. "So when we shot the dress rehearsal before we go onstage with a live audience, she started screaming at me, and I out of instinct, instead of just saying my lines, I [screamed back]."

Continued Stiller, "Everybody starts laughing and David said, 'Jerry, keep it that way.' And that was the beginning of Frank Costanza."
I love this, that's comedic timing!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 11:04:13 AM »
Stiller said in an interview years ago that David wanted him to play Frank much more subdued and even-keeled, the opposite of the yelling, hysterical Mrs. Costanza, played by Estelle Harris, but the actor knew that wouldn't work.

"We started rehearsing the first show, and she's screaming at me all the time and I am taking it. And I said to myself, 'I am going to get fired the same way as the other guy because nothing is happening onstage,'" Stiller recalled. "So when we shot the dress rehearsal before we go onstage with a live audience, she started screaming at me, and I out of instinct, instead of just saying my lines, I [screamed back]."

Continued Stiller, "Everybody starts laughing and David said, 'Jerry, keep it that way.' And that was the beginning of Frank Costanza."

I just saw that clip the other day. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiWx0aNy3w

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
Cool, thx for sharing.  :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
That's a great story. I've only ever seen him in Seinfeld and KoQ, so on the rare occasion I see him giving an interview, it is so strange to see him as a normal person.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »
I'd have to dig and find it on YT, but I remember Jason Alexander saying that Stiller's struggle to remember his own lines made Frank Costanza that much funnier.  Think of all of those lines where it was like he paused before saying the next line or even a word mid-sentence.  That was not written that way.  That was Jerry Stiller remembering his line on the fly and it coming out in that halting fashion, which ended up being so funny.  Alexander said Stiller would apologize and say he'd get it better next time. Meanwhile, the entire cast is on the floor laughing because of how funny it was. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 01:02:12 PM »
I just watched that 5 minutes ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-zMz3UJVgA

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
Nice!

That entire interview with Jason Alexander (which can be found in like 10-12 separate YT links) is great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »

I just saw that clip the other day. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKiWx0aNy3w

"I needed the work".   :)   Love that mentality, though.   Take nothing for granted, but once you get there, make it your own.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
Indeed. Hollywood casting can be sure a strange beast.

"Hey, we need someone to just read with these actors I am considering for this role."
"How about the carpenter working on my house?" He took an acting class once."
"Sure, whatever, I just need another body."

Years later, Harrison Ford becomes the biggest movie star ever (didn't really happen this way, but trying to make a point).

Offline Harmony

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 01:19:01 PM »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 01:21:26 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 01:54:25 PM »
Crazy, I referenced him and his brilliance in another thread just a day or two ago (talking about Wall-E).

Did not realize he was 86. His role in Best In Show is genius.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »
Did not realize he was 86. His role in basically everything is genius.

Fixed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 02:10:20 PM »
No doubt. The Best in Show role just stands out to me as a favorite (it is also my favorite of that group of movies he and that team of comics did).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
I saw him in Wall-E and Spinal Tap all in the space of a week and a half.