Author Topic: My Dream Theater anniversary  (Read 1106 times)

Offline geeeemo

My Dream Theater anniversary
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
Four years ago on Mother's Day, I went to my first Dream Theater concert - in Oakland's Fox Theater. I had just discovered DT a few months prior and was excited to go to my first concert in 15 years. (That being Metallica when I was pregnant with my 2nd son). Since DT wasn't a fan favorite in my house or with girlfriends, I got my sister-in-law to go on the road trip with me. We drove 4 hours through the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains in spring and had a lovely day in Jack London Square. I was a bit late in buying tickets but splurged and was able to get front row balcony center, JP side :o.

I had learned the story of TA and had listened quite a few times so I was ready. I gave a brief overview to my SIL. The show started, and from the beginning narration and the NOMAC vibrating evil hums, I was mesmerized! The musicianship! The bands obvious joy of playing! JLB's perfect singing of each character. And wth? John Petrucci and his guitar! :hefdaddy.

I was hooked after that. I told my hubby and son, if they come back thru on this tour, you Have to see it. 
We did, twice more.

Since that first show, I have seen them 7x, 3 VIP's, one after-show meet, hosted one preshow DT USA party and went to one of the London shows. I have made some friends who love DT like I do and even met one girlfriend from Denmark in London.  :heart
Mother's Day is a great day. Being a mom is my number 1 thing ever! And adding DT to that list of memories makes it even better!

Offline hunnus2000

Re: My Dream Theater anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
That's a great story Geeeemo! Happy Mama's Day!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
That's awesome!  :)

And that's pretty much just how I feel about DT.  I think there is a lot of energy and joy in their shows.  I know they aren't running around on stage but I don't need or even really want them to.  There's this positive energy they put forth and I think their shows are amazing experiences. 

Can't wait until we can all see them live again.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
What a great story!  And happy Mothers Day!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline V_R11

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
7 times in four years? Man, I wish. It's been three times in five years for me

Also yeah I hear what you're saying. 2/3 times I've been in second row in front of JP and I'm always utterly mesmerized
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 02:14:37 PM »
Very nice story and happy mum day.

Funny, the Astonishing Tour concert I went to is a significant father moment to me, since it was the first time both wife and step-daughter came to see DT with me. Great show and great experience.
It was my first time seeing DT sitting down and it felt strange, but we witnessed a definitely funny moment when Jordan suddenly left the stage between numbers leaving James to hang with a major WTF look in his eyes, only to return after a couple of seconds and start the song's intro with a big embarassed smile on his face.

Anyways, hugs to mothers everywhere.   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:26:51 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 07:11:15 PM »
Geemo, was The Astonishing the first DT album you heard?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 10:42:06 PM »
Geemo, was The Astonishing the first DT album you heard?

Yes!  I had heard PMU around 1990-91. My cousin said “ you have to hear this” and I remember thinking, “Wow so big and so full, and that singer!”.  I kind of forgot about it. I was in the midst of moving and a career change.
So, fast forward to 2016, my kids are older and I wanted to get on board with streaming music on my phone for running and then also in my office. I got on spotify. I liked metal, but was picky. Then I thought, what about that band DT, I wonder if they have any other music? :rollin
So, I bounced around and listened to this and that. Maybe the Greatest Hit got me started. Home, Rooted, Nightmare, SS, OtBoA.  But as I got more and more interested I noticed the latest album had just come out and I was like, are they touring??
My son and I had a road trip planned for spring break. He was in his infancy of his musical ride. We bought 3 CD’s for the road, TA, and the new ones from Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.
After the TA show, I went home and just immersed in that album, but also went online and learned..they had another similar album...Scenes.  That was my 2nd, and I think I only listened to that for the next 3 months! :metal

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:29:28 AM »
That's totally awesome.  I love The Astonishing but had already been a fan for a while and I don't think I've talked to anyone whose very first album was TA.  That tour was incredible.

And Scenes is my favorite, so I can totally relate to listening to it for months. :)