Author Topic: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Voidsphere)  (Read 15203 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Elysian Blaze)
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »
 :lol wut
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Puppies Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Aara)
« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2021, 12:48:19 AM »
Time for another episode of BLACK METAL!!!

(Atmospheric Black Metal w/ Melodic tinges)

1. Arkanum
2. Stein auf Stein
3. Aargesang (Aare II)
4. Entelechie
5. Telôs

For this album I decided to go with something a little easier to digest, something shorter, more melodic. Perhaps TAC will like this one. This album is still very much rooted in my favorite flavor of Black Metal, atmospheric! However, it is also dripping with fantastic melodies. Great riffs, great tremolo picked leads/solos, memorable melodies. Yes, the vocals are still very much non-understandable and echoey, like most atmospheric styled Black Metal, but they really act more as another instrument adding to the music. I suppose the one downside to the album is it isn't super varied, but it's also not long enough for it to become monotonous. One of the better Black Metal releases of last year! Plus they have a new album coming at the end of the month!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2021, 08:28:14 AM »
Looks like this album didn't gain any traction  :P
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2021, 08:31:16 AM »
I gave a listen and I quite liked it, particularly the atmospheric side. But there was something about the sound that I found just a little grating and made it hard for me to really get into it properly.

EDIT: By the way I continue to really get into Mare Cognitum and Arkona, both really fantastic bands.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2021, 06:57:04 PM »
I gave a listen and I quite liked it, particularly the atmospheric side. But there was something about the sound that I found just a little grating and made it hard for me to really get into it properly.

EDIT: By the way I continue to really get into Mare Cognitum and Arkona, both really fantastic bands.
If I can turn someone on to just 1 of these bands, then mission accomplished!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Fluisteraars)
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »
New album time, get excited!!!

(Melodic Atmospheric Black Metal)

1. Tere muur
2. Nasleep
3. Eeuwige ram
4. Vlek
5. Maanruïne

When you think of Black metal, typically you think of raw aggression or cold dissonant atmosphere or tremolo picking. What if you were to take all of that and add in a ton of beautiful clean melody and give it all a squeaky clean and slick production? You get this! And at only 33 minutes the album is short enough to not be a burden on people who are under time constraints. Enjoy...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Fluisteraars)
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2021, 07:46:01 PM »
This is a nice album. I don't know why but they reminded me of Nirvana. :lol

I few of the songs seemed to have a similar tempo, but I thought the music was dreamy enough to be quite enjoyable. The vocals didn't bother me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
literally everything about this sounds like the opposite of what i want in black metal so i'mma pass  :rollin

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
That was an interesting album, I liked it. I will definitely be listening to this a little more.

How do you find all these albums? I like to listen to new music but generally I don't have the patience to listen to full albums of bands I don't know by my own.

I'm really enjoying this thread!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
That was an interesting album, I liked it. I will definitely be listening to this a little more.

How do you find all these albums? I like to listen to new music but generally I don't have the patience to listen to full albums of bands I don't know by my own.

I'm really enjoying this thread!
Glad you are enjoying the thread  :metal

The majority of the bands I've shared so far are bands I've been listening to for many years now, some for about 15 years at this point. Bands like Lunar Aurora, Arkona, Empyrium, Wolves in the Throne Room, Cobalt, and Elysian Blaze have all been part of my music library for 10-15 years now. Back around 2006-2010 I went through a phase of discovering and listening to as much music as I could. I learned about many new bands and genres of music around that time and a lot of them have stuck with me and become all time favorites. I sort of went through a drought of finding new music after that. It wasn't until I made an account here on DTF in 2017 that I really started to dive into music discovery again, but I'm glad I did and I love sharing what I've found over the years with as many people as possible.

I know I've joked with Cyril about turning this thread into a Post-Hardcore album of the week, but I may start a thread for that at some point. Black Metal and Post-Hardcore are the two genres I seem to connect with the most these days. I mean, I still go back to a lot of my old favorites (e.g. no band will ever supplant Rush as my favorite band of all time), but when it comes to new music, that is what I tend to gravitate towards.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2021, 03:52:56 PM »
same @ listening to mostly post-hardcore and black metal lately  :lol literally most of the albums i have on my desk right now are one of the two (a few drone albums on there too atm)

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Woods of Desolation)
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2021, 03:12:45 PM »
New album time!

Atmospheric Black Metal

1. Torn Beyond Reason
2. Darker Days
3. An Unbroken Moment
4. The Inevitable End
5. November
6. Somehow...

I first heard this band when their album Towards the Depths came out in 2008. That album leaned way more towards Depressive Black Metal than I normally like, but had a lot of the Atmospheric qualities that I would eventually come to favor in Black Metal. This album, Torn Beyond Reason, basically flipped the script from their previous work, by turning the atmospheric dial up to 11. They kept some of the depressive aspects, mostly in the lyrical content being more melancholic, and then added some Blackgaze elements as well as touches of Post-Rock. The album stays varied by adding in spacey and moody passages filled with atmosphere and utilizing a lot of cool riffs to keep each song interesting. This gives the album a very open and epic feeling. The last two tracks showcase this extremely well and make for a fantastic climax to a great album. Enjoy.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »
aaaand i've already heard/meh'd this one  :lol ahh well

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2021, 06:53:30 PM »
This was actually pretty decent. My ears were starting to glaze over by the end of The Inevitable End. Everything started to mesh together, but November and Somehow were great closers.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #294 on: April 07, 2021, 09:06:11 PM »
This was actually pretty decent. My ears were starting to glaze over by the end of The Inevitable End. Everything started to mesh together, but November and Somehow were great closers.
Indeed they are great closers. Which was why I pointed that out in my writeup so people would stick around to the end of the album. Besides it isn't an overly long album anyways. Glad you liked it for the most part.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Acathexis)
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2021, 11:21:37 PM »
New weekend new album!

1. Immurement
2. Life Only Festers
3. Veins Hollowed
4. Stillborn // Isolate

This is one of those Atmospheric Black Metal albums that fell through the cracks a little bit a few years ago. There are 2 things about this album that really make it stand out to me. 1) The absolute perfect production for an AtmoBlack album! It's not too clean and polished and it's not too much like a wet blanket covering your speakers. 2) The vocals of Daniel here are, in my opinion, phenomenal. Some might say it sounds like he's trying too hard, but I think he is bringing the right amount of tortured intensity to the table. It also helps that they have Jacob Buczarski on drums as well as collaborating on songwriting. And then there's Olmo Lipani, whom I have no idea how he finds the time for all the amazing projects he does (Maladie, Slow, Sorta Magora, his solo stuff, etc.), who brings more great songwriting to the table. You can almost call this an Atmospheric Black Metal supergroup. Anyway, this album is a great ride of Darkspace and Akhlys influenced Black Metal.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2021, 06:07:00 AM »
. And then there's Olmo Lipani, whom I have no idea how he finds the time for all the amazing projects he does (Maladie, Slow, Sorta Magora, his solo stuff, etc.),

I have no idea how you find the time to know WTF all these projects are.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »
. And then there's Olmo Lipani, whom I have no idea how he finds the time for all the amazing projects he does (Maladie, Slow, Sorta Magora, his solo stuff, etc.),

I have no idea how you find the time to know WTF all these projects are.
I listen to music 24/7  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Voidsphere)
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »
So it has been exactly 1 year to the day since I last posted an album in this thread. Whoopsie! Time for some new albums! Are you with me? Who's ready? :metal

Week 18

(Atmospheric Black Metal)
Tracklist
1. The Void Overtakes
2. The Void Overcomes

Since you can't ever have enough spacey atmospheric black metal. I'm coming back with a band that has a lot of similarities to Darkspace. Do you like your black metal cold and dense, with trance-like repetitive riffing? Do you like a massive wall of sound that pummels you, but still feels as cavernous and infinite as the cosmos? Then this is the album for you. If you like Darkspace then there is a lot to love here. This might even be a little less fatiguing and more easily digested than Darkspace, with a little bit more melody to boot. Along with vocals that are even more buried in the mix to provide just another instrument contributing to the wall of sound. Amazing!

This album isn't available on Spotify, but it is available on their Bandcamp page for free (name your own price).
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2022, 06:24:37 PM »
this sounds incredibly my jam so i will gladly bookmark it and then forget to listen to it for a month

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »
this sounds incredibly my jam so i will gladly bookmark it and then forget to listen to it for a month

Well, you have a year to get to it..

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2022, 06:31:50 PM »
 :rollin true

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2022, 09:04:19 PM »

Well, you have a year to get to it..
I guess I should change the thread title to Black Metal Album of the Year!  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2022, 02:13:05 PM »
Dropped the needle on this. Why on earth would anyone sit and listen to this?

I mean, it might be ok for background music.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2022, 04:21:12 PM »

I posted this album and then 30 seconds later I thought, "Tim is going to hate this!"  :lol

I should start putting in my posts who should give the albums a skip. I think I know everyone's preference regarding black metal at this point. At least all the regular posters in this thread. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2022, 04:24:08 PM »

I posted this album and then 30 seconds later I thought, "Tim is going to hate this!"  :lol

I should start putting in my posts who should give the albums a skip. I think I know everyone's preference regarding black metal at this point. At least all the regular posters in this thread. :corn

Well, that'd be me and Cyril.  :lol

You could post a Cyril album, and then you could post a TAC album. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2022, 04:35:29 PM »

Well, that'd be me and Cyril.  :lol

You could post a Cyril album, and then you could post a TAC album. :lol
There's a few others that would pop in here semi regularly, but yeah...  :biggrin:

I also thought about posting 2 albums each week from different ends of the black metal spectrum. Perhaps next week (or year  ;) )
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2022, 06:03:15 PM »
this did remind me to listen to this one, at least

it's definitely in part because i'm a bit black metal'ed out atm but this isn't doing a ton of me. i mean for one it's pure darkspace worship and while i like that sound it's not one of my favorites, it's a bit too lo-fi for me and i do like at least some established melody and momentum in my black metal, and it's also very short compared to darkspace and paysage and stuff like that too. like yeah it's pretty good i guess but i don't think i'm gonna be returning to it

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2022, 09:07:32 PM »
this did remind me to listen to this one, at least

it's definitely in part because i'm a bit black metal'ed out atm but this isn't doing a ton of me. i mean for one it's pure darkspace worship and while i like that sound it's not one of my favorites, it's a bit too lo-fi for me and i do like at least some established melody and momentum in my black metal, and it's also very short compared to darkspace and paysage and stuff like that too. like yeah it's pretty good i guess but i don't think i'm gonna be returning to it
That's fair. I do think Darkspace is the premier band in this style of Black Metal, but I found this to be quite good still.
aka Puppies_On_Acid