Author Topic: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Voidsphere)  (Read 15156 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm a little surprised that last album didn't get much traction. Oh well. This week's album goes in a slightly different direction.

I got through the first song, but haven't had a chance to get back to it. I figured I had another 4 weeks... :lol

I liked what I heard, and still plan on finishing it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm a little surprised that last album didn't get much traction. Oh well. This week's album goes in a slightly different direction.

I got through the first song, but haven't had a chance to get back to it. I figured I had another 4 weeks... :lol

I liked what I heard, and still plan on finishing it.
Fair enough. I know I've been slacking on this thread lately.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Puppies' Black Metal Album of the Week!(Now Featuring Dordeduh)
« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
oh i totally completely forgot to listen to the last one

and i already know this one  :lol it's good but i haven't revisited in a while, maybe i will

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2020, 01:44:39 AM »
Catching up now.

Last week's Wolves in the Throne Room... I think it's another good but not great one for me. It has lots of elements I like but it doesn't seem to quite do any of them that well. The atmospheric side isn't especially rich or lush, the melodic side is nice but I don't find very emotive or engaging, and even the heavy side lacks a bit of punch. The production is clear, which I like, but it's a little thin which possibly impacts on those other things.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2020, 11:49:59 PM »
gave the wolves album a spin... it's aight, the sound is there but the songwriting feels a bit... bland and really lacking for melody. soundwise it's almost comparable to that first hope drone album but it's all a little too dry for me and i got bored like halfway through, just wasn't hitting right. ahwell

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2021, 11:47:26 PM »
Well, 4 months is long enough. Time for the thread resurrection! More Black Metal to come! :djhef:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline bobzor

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Cool thread. Big black metal fan over here.. To just say something about the stuff already posted: That Wolves in the Throne Room album had some good stuff on it, particularly the opening track Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog, which is monumental (especially the ending). I found the second album Two Hunters a bit better though.

Myself, I am into all kinds of stuff but my favorites are probably:
- The early Norwegian stuff: Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Enslaved, Satyricon
- Some French bands like early Mütiilation, early Peste Noire, Blut aus Nord
- Finnish mid 2000's scene: Behexen, Sargeist, Horna, Baptism
- The "orthodox" scene: Watain, Deathspell Omega, Armagedda, Funeral Mist, Teitanblood
- Some folk-stuff like Drudkh, Hate Forest, etc.

So yeah, quite invested in this type of music, but somewhat stuck in old 90's - 00's bands. Eager to see what comes up next here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »
Eager to see what comes up next here.

Don't hold your breath, brother.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
Cool thread. Big black metal fan over here.. To just say something about the stuff already posted: That Wolves in the Throne Room album had some good stuff on it, particularly the opening track Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog, which is monumental (especially the ending). I found the second album Two Hunters a bit better though.

Myself, I am into all kinds of stuff but my favorites are probably:
- The early Norwegian stuff: Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Emperor, Enslaved, Satyricon
- Some French bands like early Mütiilation, early Peste Noire, Blut aus Nord
- Finnish mid 2000's scene: Behexen, Sargeist, Horna, Baptism
- The "orthodox" scene: Watain, Deathspell Omega, Armagedda, Funeral Mist, Teitanblood
- Some folk-stuff like Drudkh, Hate Forest, etc.

So yeah, quite invested in this type of music, but somewhat stuck in old 90's - 00's bands. Eager to see what comes up next here.
Nice to see a fellow Black Metal fan in here. I'm a huge fan of Emperor, Enslaved (just did a full discography runthrough over the weekend), Blut aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, and Drudkh, of the bands you listed. Other than that I tend to lean towards stuff that is more Progressive in nature (like Enslaved), or Atmospheric, or Folky (Drudkh, Moonsorrow, Agalloch).

I'm working on adding more stuff to this thread. So stay tuned.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Black Metal Album of the Whenever (Now Featuring Cobalt)
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »

(Progressive Black Metal w/ some Atmospheric Sludge influence)

1. Gin
2. Dry Body
3. Arsonry
4. Throat
5. Stomach
6. A Clean, Well-Lighted Place
7. Pregnant Insect
8. Two-Thumbed Fist
9. The Old Man Who Lied for His Entire Life
10. A Starved Horror

This is another of those bands that I heard about via recommendations from another forum, back in 2009 (which is when this album was released). This album goes and it goes hard! It's very progressive, with some incredible musicianship and tight song-writing. It gets heavy, but know how and when to change pace to keep things interesting and build tension. This album is also chock full of memorable and headbang worthy riffs. I'd say this is one of those albums (and bands, for that matter) that isn't afraid to think outside the box when it comes to Black Metal. It's definitely different, or at least it was when it came out initially. Since then there have definitely been copycats.

I'm fairly certain Cyril has already heard this album and likes it. Interested to see what the rest of you think.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, this is a really interesting album. I'm only through Stomach. I'll finish it off tomorrow.

The title track is amazing!!!!
Dry Body was a bit plodding but quite interesting.
I didn't care for Arsonry.
And the instrumental part of Stomach is great!

Offline bobzor

Listening to it right now. The intro to Gin and some other riffs as well sound very Drudkh-like. The vocals seem a little out of place at first, and remind me of something like Eyehategod and Iron Monkey. But then again, this was supposedly Sludge influenced so it all makes sense. Riff-wise there is quite much going on here: sludge, modern thrash metal, and also those epic Drudkh inspired riffs. Actually it sounds pretty American somehow.

As I'm no big fan of Sludge metal in general, I think that influence is a little too prominent on this album for it to be my cup of tea.

It's Hemingway on the cover apparently. Is it a concept album about him?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
of the three albums i got from them this was my least favorite and the least memorable, for sure  :lol
i honestly barely remember this one but eater of birds and slow forever are pretty cool

• DTF.org Member
of the three albums i got from them this was my least favorite and the least memorable, for sure  :lol
i honestly barely remember this one but eater of birds and slow forever are pretty cool
Yeah, that sounds about right  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
This one was pretty good. Definitely lots to like about it - nice punchy sound, some cool riffing and energy. The melodic approach (or lack of) isn't entirely my thing though, so I like it but I don't love it.

On another note, I'm just going back to some of the other stuff I liked from earlier in the thread, now that I've finally finished exploring all the stuff I wanted to from my roulette. Starting with Mare Cognitum and I'd forgotten how much I liked it. Definitely some of the best ABM I've heard. It has the hallmarks of the genre but the production works well - it's not too thin or noisy but still manages to get across that atmosphere, plus it has a rich musicality to it that's right up my alley. Working my way through his other albums now (not including collabs with other artists) and they seem great too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i legit think puppies picked the most bizarre/probably wrong choice for mare cognitum idk i find that one way less interesting than the next two & the spectral lore split/behemoth

new album coming next month babeyyYY

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
i legit think puppies picked the most bizarre/probably wrong choice for mare cognitum idk i find that one way less interesting than the next two & the spectral lore split/behemoth

I don't know Spectral Lore, but the second split they did is bloody 2 hours long and I'm not sure I'm really up for that. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

I don't know Spectral Lore, but the second split they did is bloody 2 hours long and I'm not sure I'm really up for that. :lol

You can start with just the Mare Cognitum songs, Mars and Venus are good and the outro to Jupiter is  :metal :metal :metal
I should probably check out one of their actual albums one of these days.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

it's good tho
spectral lore's III is their best album and luminiferous aether is the best mare cognitum album tho

• DTF.org Member
I mean, I did explain exactly why I chose that particular album a few posts after I posted the album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i mean i didn't actually reread the thread to remember why you picked it and it's been approximately five years so  :lol

• DTF.org Member
i mean i didn't actually reread the thread to remember why you picked it and it's been approximately five years so  :lol
Touche'  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I guess I kind of understand that logic in the sense that it worked for me, and I do think the next two albums they've done are slightly better still. Just fortunate that I liked that album enough to both checking out anymore, so it's a bit of a risky strategy and often it won't pay off.

Anyway just reporting back to say that for very different reasons I'm also really digging Arkona. Their first two albums don't seem very interesting, but everything they've done since is a great blend of folk metal and black-ish metal with a mix of epic, dark and at times kind of fun energy. Their latest album Khram is especially excellent, a huge sound and heavy melancholy music which is right up my alley.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies Black Metal Album of the Week (Featuring Elysian Blaze)
« Reply #268 on: February 28, 2021, 03:35:15 PM »

(Atmospheric Funeral Black Metal)

1. A Choir for Venus
2. The Temple is Falling
3. Sigils That Beckon Death
4. Blood Geometry
5. A Blade for Twilight
6. Pyramid of the Cold Sun
7. Blood of Ancients, Blood of Hatred
8. Void Alchemy

If you ever wanted to listen to what the apocalypse might sound like, this is it. This is one of those albums that isn't going to be for everyone. I already know some of you are going to say it's way too long (Cyril), or there's not enough going on (Cyril), or it's too slow (Cyril)  :biggrin: And some of you may just say, "WTF is this." (TAC)
At any rate, this album is a force to be reckoned with and should be more well known.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »
who the hell has time for a two-hour black metal album these days?

*shoves paysage d'hiver, the spectral lore/mare cognitum split, and two midnight odyssey albums just out of sight*

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »
who the hell has time for a two-hour black metal album these days?

*shoves paysage d'hiver, the spectral lore/mare cognitum split, and two midnight odyssey albums just out of sight*
:neverusethis:

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
WTF is this??

These are some long ass songs. This sounds awful. It's like it was recorded in a basement 30 years ago and they just found some old shitty cassette of it.

I gave up smoking weed 20 years ago and there's no chance of me getting through this without being baked out of my gourd.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2021, 09:21:13 PM »
These are some long ass songs. This sounds awful. It's like it was recorded in a basement 30 years ago and they just found some old shitty cassette of it.

This sounds like 90% of all black metal!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2021, 09:53:54 PM »
WTF is this??

I gave up smoking weed 20 years ago and there's no chance of me getting through this without being baked out of my gourd.
:splodetard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2021, 08:05:40 AM »
I made it halfway through track 7 and then turned it off.

(Didn't listen to the first 6)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: March 04, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »
listened to the first disc today, i'll check out the other one later

i kinda get it but kinda don't? the ambient stuff is all cool and the second black metal track was pretty solid but the first one was hit-or-miss, a bit too sludgy & rooted in low-end tones mixwise

the second disk is like twenty years long with a 36 minute track so we'll see when i get to it but i need a break from this lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
listened to the second disc now and this remains sufficiently "alright". it's too long for me to want to listen to a second time tho

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »
I would've skipped this one if it was a 20 minute EP. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2021, 08:31:12 PM »
yeah well i am far more accustomed to this kind of lofi black metal than you, mr. folksy forest metal :neverusethis: