Poll

How often do you write/receive checks? Click one answer for each.

I write a check: Never
13 (23.2%)
I write a check: Once every couple months
6 (10.7%)
I write a check: Once a month
6 (10.7%)
I write a check: A couple times a month
9 (16.1%)
I receive a check: Never
8 (14.3%)
I receive a check: Once every couple months
6 (10.7%)
I receive a check: Once a month
3 (5.4%)
I receive a check: A couple times a month
5 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Writing/Receiving Checks  (Read 1745 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Writing/Receiving Checks
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »
Right now it's only one check my wife writes out for here hairdresser.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
For those that say "never".... how do you give money, say, to a school for dues?  Or pay rent?   Or, for those in that situation, pay your share of expenses to an ex?   I'm not giving any of those people electronic "insight" into my accounts.  That may be the "old man (get off my LAWN!) side of me talking, but if I owe my ex $200 for insurance for my kid, BOOM, I'm writing a check.
I've got my landlady set up as a payee in my bank's bill pay portal. Around the 27th of each month I schedule a payment for her (I schedule all of my payments manually). The bank mails a paper check to her the next day. Around the 10th or so she deposits it and a scan shows up in my account details. It's really no different than the paper checks you write and mail to the ex, except I don't have to write and mail it.

In my case it's all pretty straight-forward. Utilities and any other regular payments that won't incur a service fee bill to a credit card so I get the points/miles. All credit card companies will allow you to set your own due date, so I can pay them at the same time I pay my rent. Paying my bills each month takes all of five minutes, and I've got spreadsheets showing all of my activity, and the bank maintains electronic records, as well.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
For those that say "never".... how do you give money, say, to a school for dues?  Or pay rent?   Or, for those in that situation, pay your share of expenses to an ex?   I'm not giving any of those people electronic "insight" into my accounts.

Standard bank transfer, or Credit Card payment. I live in a country where Tax Returns are public information, so the financial privacy horse has already bolted.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
Online rent payments and stuff don't give any kind of access to your bank information anyway, except maybe your account number. And all people can do with that is deposit money into your account, which is great. I want the whole world to have that number.