Poll

How often do you write/receive checks? Click one answer for each.

I write a check: Never
13 (23.2%)
I write a check: Once every couple months
6 (10.7%)
I write a check: Once a month
6 (10.7%)
I write a check: A couple times a month
9 (16.1%)
I receive a check: Never
8 (14.3%)
I receive a check: Once every couple months
6 (10.7%)
I receive a check: Once a month
3 (5.4%)
I receive a check: A couple times a month
5 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Writing/Receiving Checks  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Writing/Receiving Checks
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
Not counting paychecks, how often do you write, and receive checks?

I write a check every couple of months, not counting 3 checks I write to pay the property taxes for tree farms in TN we own (to avoid the online payment processing fees).

I receive a check every couple months, usually in the way of a gift from my parents or in-laws.

As president of our HOA I receive about have our annual dues in the form of a check. I have been pushing for PayPal payments and more homeowners are doing that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Writing/Receiving Checks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
Write - usually a couple times a month. Probably 1-5, depending.
Receive - At least one a month, sometimes more.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
I write at least two checks every month. One for my power bill, and one for my rent, and then I'll write a check for any other occasional stuff like doctor/dentist bills etc... So, bare minimum at least two a month.

I receive a paper check every week and get my state and federal tax returns via paper checks.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »
My bank writes my checks for me. I receive a couple of checks a year, but that wasn't an option so I went with never.

Don't all banks have free bill pay now? Lots of people say they write checks to avoid processing fees. If somebody isn't set up for direct transfer my bank sends them a printed check in the mail at no cost. It takes 5 days instead of 2. I send two or three of these a month. They really make it easy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
Honestly can't remember the last time I wrote a check, probably before I got sober when I'd write checks a few days before payday so I could cheat the system and get my fix.

Last physical check I received was a class action settlement from Staples about a 4 months ago.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
Non-American here, never for both. :P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
My bank writes my checks for me. I receive a couple of checks a year, but that wasn't an option so I went with never.

Don't all banks have free bill pay now? Lots of people say they write checks to avoid processing fees. If somebody isn't set up for direct transfer my bank sends them a printed check in the mail at no cost. It takes 5 days instead of 2. I send two or three of these a month. They really make it easy.

I don't like leaving the responsibility of something like paying bills in the hands of the bank, automated or otherwise. I don't like automatic billing at all. I like being fully aware of writing the check or doing the manual online payment, I never save my info online. I feel like it's good for the brain to know your account info, type it in, type your card info in, or just write a check. It might be easier the automated way but I don't think it's good for remembering things and I don't like that it takes my agency away.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »

I do that as well with utilities and the mortgage company, and don't consider that 'writing a check,' though honestly it never occurred to me when I made the poll. I was strictly thinking in terms of writing a check by hand.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 03:45:36 PM »
I can't remember the last time I hand wrote a check. I probably average one a year. I have my bank send checks anytime I need to pay with one. It often will save me a stamp and one of the checks that I paid for. My wife writes 3 or 4 checks a month for various things.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
As I just wrote in the handwriting thread, I probably wrote 12-15 checks over the past year, so I went with once a month.  Most of those relate to my daughter's high school marching band.  Regular expenses are all paid online or via the bank (I do manual payment and have only a couple things set for auto-pay).

Same frequency for receiving checks, although the number is probably lower.  My "paycheck" is direct deposited, so I don't receive an actual check.  I do get actual checks as reimbursement for certain work-related expenses.  The frequency of that varies pretty widely.  I also occasionally get reimbursed for expenses I incur on behalf of the marching band boosters.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
My reply from the other thread.

I write monthly checks to my daughter's school, they charge stupid fees for automated payment so I save by just writing checks every month. Same was in the previous rental I lived in, I would write checks to them to avoid paying stupid fees.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »
I've had my personal checking account for about 15 years and never bought any checks for it, so I chose "Never". But, we (the Mrs. and Me) write a couple of checks per year from our joint account...which is still close to never.

I've not received a check from anyone in a decade, so I chose "Never".
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
I write a fair number of checks for personal stuff.  To my ex.  Sometimes I will use checks to transfer money between banks if I don't want to wait for the normal process to flow through.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »
I write checks every month; just a few.  I'm not a big fan of having my banking info available online because of hackers.  I realize that mailing checks has it's own risks but I've had more contacts from companies that my online data has been compromised (at least 3 times now) than I have had checks stolen in the mail (never) so...
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 04:50:51 PM »
I write checks for my wife's dry cleaning, and to my plumber as needed. That's it. My wife has all the bills set up online.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 04:55:08 PM »

I don't like leaving the responsibility of something like paying bills in the hands of the bank, automated or otherwise. I don't like automatic billing at all. I like being fully aware of writing the check or doing the manual online payment, I never save my info online. I feel like it's good for the brain to know your account info, type it in, type your card info in, or just write a check. It might be easier the automated way but I don't think it's good for remembering things and I don't like that it takes my agency away.

That's just...weird.

I am 100% with you on all of that.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 05:17:33 PM »
I write checks for my wife's dry cleaning

I have never went to a dry cleaner.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 05:58:21 PM »
The last check I wrote (bank check) was almost 6 years ago when I bought my house. Can't even remember the last one before that. I don't understand how/why checks are still a thing outside of receiving currency from an employer.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 06:14:38 PM »
Almost never. Used one when I bought my last car, since there was an issue with debit card limits, but besides that rarely if ever

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
Never wrote one. The last time I received one Euro wasn't currency yet.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »
Never wrote one. The last time I received one Euro wasn't currency yet.

Okay how old are you? In my head you're like 49 and always have a monocle equipped. You are a damn enigma.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 06:20:04 PM »
I'm 42 going grey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »

My wife gets her suits dry cleaned for work. Since I have a day off during the week, I usually drop it off/pick it up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »

My wife gets her suits dry cleaned for work. Since I have a day off during the week, I usually drop it off/pick it up.

You take it to the Jeffersons?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 06:46:52 PM »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2020, 06:30:01 AM »
I was averaging writing 1-2 checks/year until we bought the house.  Since then, it's been maybe 6/year, as it's sometimes the easiest way to pay contractors.  Receiving?  maybe 6-8/year, mostly from health insurance.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 06:39:39 AM »
I live in Sweden, which is country that views my preference of using a bank transfer rather than Swish outdated. Hence, I can only imagine that trying to present a cheque would receive a similar reaction to placing a dead cat on the table.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2020, 07:32:10 AM »
For those that say "never".... how do you give money, say, to a school for dues?  Or pay rent?   Or, for those in that situation, pay your share of expenses to an ex?   I'm not giving any of those people electronic "insight" into my accounts.  That may be the "old man (get off my LAWN!) side of me talking, but if I owe my ex $200 for insurance for my kid, BOOM, I'm writing a check.   

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:24 AM »
Bank transfers to dedicated accounts

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 07:49:31 AM »
Honestly can't remember the last time I wrote a check, probably before I got sober when I'd write checks a few days before payday so I could cheat the system and get my fix.

Last physical check I received was a class action settlement from Staples about a 4 months ago.

Maybe that's common knowledge around here, but because I'm fairly new, I didn't know.  Congrats on being sober!  I can't imagine that was an easy thing to do.

I'm 42 going grey

Congrats on being "the answer to the untimate question"!

About 2 weeks ago I got a cashier's check from the bank to help out a friend, but before that, it's been years since my wife and I have had a check book or written checks.  I pay all my bills online.  And if I need to give money to someone for some reason, I do cash.

"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
For those that say "never".... how do you give money, say, to a school for dues?  Or pay rent?   Or, for those in that situation, pay your share of expenses to an ex?   I'm not giving any of those people electronic "insight" into my accounts.  That may be the "old man (get off my LAWN!) side of me talking, but if I owe my ex $200 for insurance for my kid, BOOM, I'm writing a check.

You can push money from online banking to almost any recipient. Like Barto said, have the Bank/Credit Union write the check.
Other than that, there's Venmo or even cash.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
Writing checks I voted for once a month, either to the dog groomer, who is cash or check only, and I never carry cash, and my wife to her hair salon, not sure why, never asked, maybe they don't accept plastic either.
So yeah the dog's groomer, and my wife's groomer.  ;D

All bills are paid electronically, either through my bank's bill-pay, or on the payee's website.
Very few automatic withdrawals, I like to control when they get paid.

Last check received was probably the $100.00 check my mother-in-law slipped into my birthday card back in March. So I went with once every couple of months.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 09:51:27 AM »
Initially, I thought this thread was about getting paid for publishing.  :lol

I occasionally get checks when I do a speaking engagement; but that would technically be considered a paycheck I guess.

I used to write checks for our maid services, gardening, and lawn mowing services. But they're all Venmo, or autopay now.

Sometimes for other contracted services like HVAC maintenance, or vent cleaning, we'll write a check. And I'll sometimes write a check if I'm buying something like art, or whisky or something from a private collector.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »

You can push money from online banking to almost any recipient. Like Barto said, have the Bank/Credit Union write the check.
Other than that, there's Venmo or even cash.

Paying an ex-spouse in cash for something is a great way to get hauled into court for contempt...and lose.  I do some volunteer work and can't tell you how many folks come in and say that they paid something in cash and didn't get a receipt, so "how can I prove I paid?"

While not everyone who's divorced has a contentious relationship with the ex, the absolute best way to pay anything to an ex is with a paper check that notes the purpose of the payment on the memo line.  And make and keep a PDF or paper copy of EVERY check.  Electronic payments (e.g., Zelle) are ok as long as you use the "what's this for"/notes section, but make sure you keep screenshots or really understand your bank's record maintenance policy.  I can tell you from experience representing folks that there are few things more stressful than "knowing" you paid something but being unable to prove or having to hope that you can get proof of payment from a bank (especially an "online bank").

As far as Stadler's questions, corporate landlords often have online portals that they require be used for rental payments, and individual landlords may accept Paypal or Zelle or things like that.  We pay school expenses with check, but that's largely because the school charges a fee to make electronic payments.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 10:15:24 AM »
For those that say "never".... how do you give money, say, to a school for dues? 

Most of the rare checks I write are school-related (yearbooks, PTA, for example), or I just give cash since those amounts are small.

Regarding contractors, seems like the ones I've had lately all accepted plastic.