Author Topic: Passwords  (Read 1011 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Passwords
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
In the company I was working for we used to use Last Pass as the password manager for certain tools and resources from the company.
Now that I have started my own endeavor: Optimal Websites I am using 1Password and it works perfectly on Chrome, Firefox and even on my phone. I am currently taking advance of 30 days trial.

Have you ever used a password manager, and if so, which one is your favorite?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Passwords
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
I feel like if I click that link, you're going to steal all my passwords. :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:45:21 PM »
The link just goes to another DTF thread about this made less than a week ago.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
I feel like if I click that link, you're going to steal all my passwords. :lol :lol

hahaha not the case. But it's good to be aware.

The link as Bolsters mentioned goes to another DTF thread that I created regarding my new company, and asking for FB likes hahaha (LAME). I am just interested in knowing if you guys have a preferred password manager. I guess not many people use those.

I have seen reviews about Dashlane, Keeper and Empass but only on Google, but sometimes companies pay for reviews so I am not too fond about trying a service based only on Google reviews, that's why I came here because maybe some of you have used any of those services and maybe you can provide your input.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »
Roboform...............I can't tell you it's better than any others but at the time I started using it (some years ago) it seemed the best/most reptuable.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:43:38 PM »
I use lastpass (have been for years now) and I like it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »
Great topic, just posted this the other day. I admit I held off transitioning from the "lazy" way of doing things for way too long, but now that I have, it's totally worth it.

I would highly recommend to everyone to use a password manager and avoid this practice of storing in plaintext or using the same password (even with minor variations).

There are apps and browser extensions that let you seamlessly access your login details across devices with a single master password. You can have a 8-24 long gibberish password generated and saved for each new login without the need to memorize anything. I use Bitwarden, but LastPass and 1Password are pretty solid too.

Bitwarden isn't perfect on mobile, but it does support face-unlock which is useful.

Offline krands85

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 05:42:58 AM »
I've used Keepass for years. I only use it on my PC as an 'offline' solution though. Not sure if they have an 'online' service aswell, with integration between devices etc. but I prefer to stick to the more secure route, even though it would be less convenient for most people.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 08:13:27 AM »
I'll take Keep Ass for 400, Trebeck

Here's what I don't get. If you use one of these, aren't you just making it so that a hacker need only get one password to have all of your passwords? For sites where I need significant security, credit cards, Amazon, eBay, etc. I use highly secure and unique passwords that the NSA would have trouble with. If they somehow got my Chase account info, they wouldn't have any others. If they had my master Keep Ass password they'd get into anything and everything, wouldn't they? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »

Here's what I don't get. If you use one of these, aren't you just making it so that a hacker need only get one password to have all of your passwords? For sites where I need significant security, credit cards, Amazon, eBay, etc. I use highly secure and unique passwords that the NSA would have trouble with. If they somehow got my Chase account info, they wouldn't have any others. If they had my master Keep Ass password they'd get into anything and everything, wouldn't they?

This has been my sole reason for never using a password manager

I just keep a physical notebook around the place with all my stuff written inisde. My old man uses a Rolodex which is nifty
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »

In my case for 1password manager I am using a highly secure and unique pass that the NSA would have trouble with but I have also activated 2 factors authentication, and in top of that a hacker will also need the secret key which is 34 digits random generated key.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »

Nice!   Turd Ferguson would approve.

Offline krands85

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »

That's partly why I just use the software on my PC and not an online service. Far too many online databases have breached over the years, so I'd worry about that, even though presumably these services use the highest security and encryption.

If someone broke in to my house and stole my PC, they would still need the master password and a separate key file to get in to the database.

I wish all sites would use two-factor authentication though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »

That's partly why I just use the software on my PC and not an online service. Far too many online databases have breached over the years, so I'd worry about that, even though presumably these services use the highest security and encryption.

If someone broke in to my house and stole my PC, they would still need the master password and a separate key file to get in to the database.

I wish all sites would use two-factor authentication though.

That's what I like about 1password as of now, 2 factor authentication, plus master key plus master password. Not impossible, but it would be very difficult to get hacked I guess

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »
I started using Bit Warden last month which is the first password manager I've used. It's free and hopefully more secure than using a web browser to store passwords. The only thing I dislike about it is the generated passwords aren't always complex enough for certain websites. I don't think Bit Warden generates characters other than uppercase letters, lowercase letters, & numbers. But that's a minor complaint because I can just add in the required character for those websites.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!