Author Topic: Gojira  (Read 54726 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Gojira
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
Saw this on reddit. They sure are mixing it up by the teasers I've heard so far, looks like they're aiming on expanding their sound a bit more and I like it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2016, 05:57:46 PM »
Oh man that sounds pretty stellar! Definitely can't wait to hear the new release! :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2016, 12:28:16 AM »
Very excited to see they are changing up their sound. Looking forward to what this could bring!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
'Magma' is releasing on June 17th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWmkihZ9ys

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
 :metal

Sounds dark as hell
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEGAsCM1xw&ab_channel=Gojira

New song coming up the 22nd of April, this is by far the most disturbing and creepy teaser we've had so far, starting to look like some crazy horror concept or something.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #286 on: April 20, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEGAsCM1xw&ab_channel=Gojira

New song coming up the 22nd of April, this is by far the most disturbing and creepy teaser we've had so far, starting to look like some crazy horror concept or something.

My first thought while watching was "WTF?".

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »
Can't wait!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #288 on: April 21, 2016, 11:57:37 PM »
New song is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdC_3LR2AI

Pretty awesome imo. Can't wait for the new album!

Edit: Album art.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2016, 12:34:06 AM »
Song's not bad but not great either honestly.

Since this is just the first single part of me hopes the rest of the album is a little more 'out there' because this sounded a bit generic to me.

Oh and I really dig the art

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2016, 01:05:26 AM »
Album art is creepy. Reminds me of Teletubbies :lol (and they're creepy :|)
Song is typical whalecore.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2016, 05:17:19 AM »
That guitar riff is wierd and awesome. The song was more Alt Metal than I was expecting, but I really liked it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »
Listened to the song on Spotify with headphones, you hear the riff a bit clearer. Sounds pretty cool, diffrent but i'm intrigued.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #293 on: April 25, 2016, 10:50:50 AM »
The new song is sick, can't wait for this album to be released. Hope I get the chance to see them live soon.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
Just over 3 weeks later now, how's everyone liking the new song at this point?

Song's not bad but not great either honestly.

Since this is just the first single part of me hopes the rest of the album is a little more 'out there' because this sounded a bit generic to me.

Oh and I really dig the art

I like it way more now than my past-self, song's got some pretty hooking grooves and the clean chant-ish section is awesome.

Online abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #295 on: May 15, 2016, 10:54:52 AM »
It's probably in my top 5 and I've stopped listening to Gojira since then, anticipating the new album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: May 15, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »
Pretty cool and I never liked Gojira before.

Offline adace

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »
Video for Silvera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvXB-Vwnco

Fantastic track, I think I like it even better than Stranded.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2016, 12:06:56 AM »
Wow this one's great! Love the chorus. I liked Stranded too but this one gor me hooked from the first listen, awesome tune.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2016, 01:06:54 AM »
Groovy track! Pretty straight forward but I like it.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #300 on: May 20, 2016, 02:29:35 AM »
I was expecting this to blow me away with heaviness, but instead I got another super catchy song with something that you can almost call a guitar solo. Not bad, I dig it. But I hope the album will be heavy also because I think they're the best band that does HEAVY in the world.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »
I liked this more than the first one.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »
Really digging the new music/vid.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2016, 06:23:52 AM »
Um so, spoilers ahead, I've heard the album once now.

Probably the biggest letdown of the year for me so far. I mean, a big part of this was probably caused by the ridiculous amount of hype they created with all those teasers, not a smart move if you ask me. This got me expecting something big, but it's about as standard of an album as it could get for Gojira. Some killer songs on it though, Pray being the definite standout. But the worst part is, without exaggerating, the title-track is likely one of the very worst songs I've heard all year by any band. It sounds like it's made just to annoy listeners. That's pretty hurtful for a band I consider one of my top 20 or something bands.
Definitely worth a listen though, maybe it's just not for me because it's almost like psychedelic rock in some ways. I can dig some psychedelic rock but it's a bit weird coming from Gojira. I love these guys but this was a pretty big miss for me.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2016, 07:47:50 AM »
But the worst part is, without exaggerating, the title-track is likely one of the very worst songs I've heard all year by any band. It sounds like it's made just to annoy listeners.

Considering this is the band that marred an otherwise perfect album with "A Sight to Behold," I'm unsurprised.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2016, 07:55:43 AM »
Those synths on A Sight To Behold, or whatever they are, are definitely on the same level of annoyance as the stuff (pretty sure it's a guitar) I'm talking about on Magma, yeah. :lol  I can't even take it seriously.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
Wait, A Sight To Behold is considered bad?  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
A lot of people (including me) have been averse to the first two minutes, for me the music doesn't match Duplantiers vocals at all, but from 2 minutes onward it's a fantastic song to be honest. So I'd say it's a middle-of-the-pack from TFOAF for me, which is my favorite album, could've been top 3 if it wasn't for the first 2 minutes though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
A lot of people (including me) have been averse to the first two minutes, for me the music doesn't match Duplantiers vocals at all, but from 2 minutes onward it's a fantastic song to be honest. So I'd say it's a middle-of-the-pack from TFOAF for me, which is my favorite album, could've been top 3 if it wasn't for the first 2 minutes though.
Oh ok, that's cool. I think it's pretty good.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
A Sight to Behold is one of my favorite Gojira song. So much groove.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #310 on: June 11, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
I've been meaning to check Gojira for some time now, and I really liked the Stranded single. Which album do you recommend I check out for starters?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #311 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
I've been meaning to check Gojira for some time now, and I really liked the Stranded single. Which album do you recommend I check out for starters?
I'd say From Mars to Sirius since it got me into their music. The Way Of All Flesh is sick as well, and I wouldn't recommend you to start with L'enfant Sauvage (it took me some time to appreciate it fully).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Yeah, From Mars to Sirius is probably the best one to start with. Or, like Tomislav said, The Way of All Flesh.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2016, 11:37:04 AM »
The Way of All Flesh was my first Gojira album, and it worked. The intro to Oroborus was enough to pique my interest right away. After getting more and more into the album, something bothered me. It was all perfect and tight, but in the end a bit too sterile. That's when I checked out From Mars to Sirius, and it was exactly what I needed.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #314 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
Before I get the album I decided to listen to Flying Whales and I have to say... wow. Something tells me I will really like this band.