Author Topic: father john misty appreciation thread :biggrin:  (Read 564 times)

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
father john misty appreciation thread :biggrin:
« on: August 21, 2023, 03:00:17 PM »
oh man, where do i even start with father john misty's recording career? it's been a wild ride of emotions, introspection, and musical brilliance. from the very beginning, his music felt like a warm hug on a rainy day, like a friend who just gets you.

i remember the first time i heard "Fear Fun." it was like a breath of fresh air in a world saturated with the same old sounds. his voice, that perfect blend of melancholy and humor, drew me in instantly. and the lyrics? pure poetry. he had this uncanny ability to capture the essence of the human experience in a way that made you feel seen and understood.

then came "I Love You, Honeybear." oh boy, what a masterpiece. it was like he took all the messy, complicated, beautiful parts of love and put them into songs. it was honest and raw, a glimpse into his soul that felt like he was letting you into his innermost thoughts. tracks like "Chateau Lobby #4" and "Bored in the USA" showcased his storytelling prowess and his knack for tackling heavy subjects with a touch of irony.

"Pure Comedy" continued the journey, diving even deeper into his reflections on society, religion, and existence. it was a bold move, but it paid off. the title track remains one of the most thought-provoking songs i've ever heard, a reflection on the absurdity of it all that hit close to home.

and just when i thought he couldn't possibly top himself, along came "God's Favorite Customer." this album felt like a heart-to-heart conversation with an old friend. it was vulnerable and intimate, with tracks like "Just Dumb Enough to Try" and "Disappointing Diamonds Are the Rarest of Them All" tugging at your heartstrings.

father john misty's recording career has been a journey of growth and evolution, each album building on the last while staying true to his unique voice. his music has been a soundtrack to moments of joy, heartache, and self-discovery in my life. it's the kind of music that becomes a part of you, that you turn to when you need comfort or a fresh perspective.

so here's to father john misty, to his incredible recording career that has left an indelible mark on the music world. may he keep gracing us with his one-of-a-kind sound and his ability to make us feel a little less alone in this crazy, beautiful world.

i didn't totally love his new one, chloe + the 21st century, but i'm sure he'll come back and wow us all once again!

how do you feel about his music?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 03:08:17 PM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: father john misty appreciation thread :biggrin:
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 08:43:33 AM »
wanted to add another post with some analysis and comparison between one of FJM's early songs and leonard cohen.

death of a ladies' man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHzVehsh9r0
only son of the ladiesman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZb9TI_NC8

father john misty's "only son of the ladiesman" echoes with a haunting familiarity, a nod to the legacy woven by leonard cohen's "death of a ladies' man." misty's reverence for cohen's enigmatic spirit is palpable, as he crafts a lyrical tapestry that weaves threads of longing, desire, and existential musings.

cohen's album, released in 1977, stood as a bold departure from his previous work, delving into a more orchestrated and grandiose sound. it's as if cohen's exploration of love, lust, and mortality beckoned misty to embark on a similar voyage decades later. "only son of the ladiesman" drips with an introspective fervor akin to that of cohen's title track.

both songs embrace a rich sonic landscape, layering lush arrangements that envelope the listener in a sense of opulence and melancholy. the smooth, crooning vocals in "only son of the ladiesman" channel cohen's distinct timbre, traversing themes of vulnerability and the enigmatic allure of the ladies' man persona.

misty's lyrics mirror cohen's poetic profundity, painting vivid scenes of passion and disillusionment. while cohen's "death of a ladies' man" dives into the chaotic frenzy of love, misty's rendition conjures a more introspective meditation on identity, a journey of reconciling with one's past and yearnings.

it's impossible to listen to "only son of the ladiesman" without sensing the whisper of cohen's influence. misty pays homage to the masterful storytelling and emotional rawness that defined cohen's legacy. through this musical conversation spanning decades, misty doesn't merely imitate but channels the essence of cohen's artistry, creating a poignant ballad that resonates deeply with the human experience.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!