Poll

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 03:08:19 PM

Author Topic: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!  (Read 190174 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!
« Reply #3465 on: July 02, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
That's the second damn time I've been in the lead in ariich's roulette for most of the time and lost in the final round :lol this time it wasn't even the final round, it was after that!
Yeah seriously, your bad luck in my roulettes is unfathomable. But your strategy was amazing, I'd definitely urge to you use it again in future.

I sure will, probably not in your roulette though. On one hand, this was well-run and a lot of fun, but on the other hand, I'm not sure I can stand another defeat like this. :lol
Understandable. :lol It won't be for a while anyway, so hopefully by the time it comes around I'll be able to convince you to at least play again!

Holy shit, it was your first win? I feel a little better then (although you still would've had it had you shared :biggrin: )

Yeah, I know. But where's the excitement in that? If Indiscipline's roulette taught me anything, you gotta play things up for the crowd. :coolio
Yeah I should give a shout out to Indi - the sheer mad fun in his roulette final inspired me to come up with something fun to decide things.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3466 on: July 02, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
Congratulations Buddy, nice killer instinct!

Congratulations Ev, ever the prince.

Congratulations Katt, you deserved it as well.

Congrats everybody for the tons of fun, and Rich for the perfect organization.

And thank you Shadow for the funny artwork, no matter whose it is.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3467 on: July 02, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3468 on: July 02, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
My most ridiculous victory when I sent Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time in Sacul's roulette and got like 19/10 because of the ridiculous scoring system. :lol

What the fuck :rollin

I mean that was probably the best song you sent me in my third roulette if I'm remembering correctly, but what?
I had a rule that would give you like 5 extra points if you sent me a song from a genre I didn't like and scored at least 8/10. Which meant most people that tried to go that route ended up with very low scores except for one or two tracks that managed to get that bonus, Wheel of Time being one of those. Yeah it was a pretty broken system :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3469 on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:16 AM »
That's amazing. I'm not usually too keen on power metal either so if I had that I'm sure Evermind would have gotten it a couple times as well. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: July 02, 2020, 10:02:59 AM »
My most ridiculous victory when I sent Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time in Sacul's roulette and got like 19/10 because of the ridiculous scoring system. :lol

I mean that was probably the best song you sent me in my third roulette if I'm remembering correctly, but what?
I had a rule that would give you like 5 extra points if you sent me a song from a genre I didn't like and scored at least 8/10. Which meant most people that tried to go that route ended up with very low scores except for one or two tracks that managed to get that bonus, Wheel of Time being one of those. Yeah it was a pretty broken system :lol

It was like 9/10 + 5 for the genre you didn't like, +2 for the best song of the round and +3 for something else. :lol

Update: I looked it up and it was 8.5/10 plus this so 19.5/10 total actually :lol

Most epic song (Theme winner - 4 points)
Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time (Evermind)

Evermind, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Evermind, song from a genre I dislike, but your tune was great (5 points)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3471 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:22 AM »
That's the second damn time I've been in the lead in ariich's roulette for most of the time and lost in the final round :lol this time it wasn't even the final round, it was after that!

Well, there's only one option then... you have to host your own roulette to exact some revenge.

Also, congrats for Buddy getting his cherry popped.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3472 on: July 02, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
I've only just twigged that my last two roulettes have been won by first-time winners (Luoto and now Buddy).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3473 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:08 AM »
I've only just twigged that my last two roulettes have been won by first-time winners (Luoto and now Buddy).

I think that's been the case with all of mine as well. Cyril almost won twice but got cucked by Katt at the very end. :lol

EDIT: er wait, misinterpreted that one. Thought you meant won by people playing in your roulettes for the first time. But senecadawg and Katt did both win their first victories in mine!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3474 on: July 02, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
Congrats ariich!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3475 on: July 02, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »

It was like 9/10 + 5 for the genre you didn't like, +2 for the best song of the round and +3 for something else. :lol

Update: I looked it up and it was 8.5/10 plus this so 19.5/10 total actually :lol

Most epic song (Theme winner - 4 points)
Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time (Evermind)

Evermind, album from the to-listen list (2 points)
Evermind, song from a genre I dislike, but your tune was great (5 points)
Holy shit that's unbalanced as fuck :rollin. I think you still ended up tied for the final and managed to win :metal

That's amazing. I'm not usually too keen on power metal either so if I had that I'm sure Evermind would have gotten it a couple times as well. :lol
He tried a couple times and only got it once :P

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3476 on: July 02, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »

I think that's been the case with all of mine as well. Cyril almost won twice but got cucked by Katt at the very end. :lol

EDIT: er wait, misinterpreted that one. Thought you meant won by people playing in your roulettes for the first time. But senecadawg and Katt did both win their first victories in mine!
Nice. None of my v1-4 were first-time winners. Not even my v1 which was only the 7th ever roulette. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic results (ranks 15-16)
« Reply #3477 on: July 02, 2020, 12:06:09 PM »

You were one of the people I specifically had in mind when designing a no-eliminations roulette this time, after your bad luck in the prelims of my last two. And it’s paid off for me hugely, as you’ve sent me consistently great stuff – in fact you’re one of only a handful people to have never dipped below an 8.0, which demonstrates that the final rankings aren’t the be all and end all. It was very much a roulette of two halves for you in terms of style – the first half was dominated by djenty prog metal, one of which was amazing (Valis Ablaze) and the rest of which was still really solid and kept you upper table. In the second half, you branched out into other styles and never reached the same high point, but you maintained a higher overall level of quality with some really exciting music. Unfortunately, your competitors upped their game in the last two rounds, which saw your standing drop. Still, it’s been a real pleasure having you on board.

You win the award for: Most Djentlemanly

Started in 15th place and ended in 15th place.  My story ends where it began.  OMG TEH NUGGETZ!!

Thanks for having me and I'm glad I got to be in more than one round!   ;D  This was a lot of fun, and I'm glad you dug my submissions.  Looking forward to the next one!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic results (ranks 15-16)
« Reply #3478 on: July 02, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »

You were one of the people I specifically had in mind when designing a no-eliminations roulette this time, after your bad luck in the prelims of my last two. And it’s paid off for me hugely, as you’ve sent me consistently great stuff – in fact you’re one of only a handful people to have never dipped below an 8.0, which demonstrates that the final rankings aren’t the be all and end all. It was very much a roulette of two halves for you in terms of style – the first half was dominated by djenty prog metal, one of which was amazing (Valis Ablaze) and the rest of which was still really solid and kept you upper table. In the second half, you branched out into other styles and never reached the same high point, but you maintained a higher overall level of quality with some really exciting music. Unfortunately, your competitors upped their game in the last two rounds, which saw your standing drop. Still, it’s been a real pleasure having you on board.

You win the award for: Most Djentlemanly

Started in 15th place and ended in 15th place.  My story ends where it began.  OMG TEH NUGGETZ!!

Thanks for having me and I'm glad I got to be in more than one round!   ;D  This was a lot of fun, and I'm glad you dug my submissions.  Looking forward to the next one!
Are you trapped inside an Octavarium?

This roulette was a lot of fun Ariich. Thanks for having me and enduring a couple of less than stellar submissions from me. I was slowly closing the gap to first place, I think I only needed like 6 more rounds to get there, so maybe a little too slowly  :biggrin:

I'm not disappointed that I didn't win though. For me it's always about the sharing of music, which was accomplished in spades. I am, however, disappointed in my EP's score. I thought for sure the flow score would be slightly higher and the music score would be much higher. I may have overestimated the strength of the songs I sent. At least you didn't hate Absu :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3479 on: July 02, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
Rich, I was at work when you posted results.

I'll take 4th place out of 50 participants! Glad you liked most of what I sent. Great job staying on point with the rounds. Hosting a roulette is a responsibility, and you were on top of it the whole time.

I really liked the multiple songs per artist format. That has been the genesis of each of my last two roulettes, though the Opposites Attract and the EP roulettes ended up morphing into something else.

Boston represents!  2 out of the top 4 spots!!

The feeling is mutual, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: July 02, 2020, 05:49:21 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about it but congrats buddy :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3482 on: July 02, 2020, 08:04:42 PM »
Snap! I never knew Buddy was a Bostonian.  For some reason I always thought European.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3483 on: July 02, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
Boston rules J-Boy. Just accept it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3484 on: July 02, 2020, 08:07:46 PM »
Snap! I never knew Buddy was a Bostonian.  For some reason I always thought European.  :lol

It's the Steven Wilson avatar, isn't it :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Luoto 13.4
Shadow 12.9
Buddy 12.9
Indi 12.8
Elite 12.8
TAC 12.6
Cyril 12.5
Puppies 12.5
Evermind 12.4
jingle 12.3
Nekov 12.3
Sacul 12.3
Train 12.2
The Walrus 12.2
Lonestar 12.1
Tomi 12.0
Wolfking 11.9
king 11.9
romdrums 11.8
Lordcost 11.6
Lethean 11.0
Stadler 11.0

I went and added + ranked the EP scores, for anyone who was curious. If anyone notices any errors in my arithmetic, I will ignore you and talk shit about you behind your back.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:23:27 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3486 on: July 02, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Top three baybeee

Luoto hit it big, though. He got both the best quality score and the best flow score.

Btw if anyone wants to listen to my EP, here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xoo5Q51G4mLDOLUEx5_4tATZlz2LIxvl/view?usp=sharing

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3487 on: July 02, 2020, 09:04:11 PM »
Downloaded and I'll check it out later. I'll through my playlist out here as well: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1uDV3XHRtTk5WsQX2oqDei

I kind of want to go through and listen to everyone's. Then I think that's a lot of time listening. But then again, Rich did it like 5 times or something.  :lol

Also, shoutout to whoever sent Psychonaut (Puppies, I think?), because I checked them out (based solely on the strength of the title 'All I Saw as a Huge Monkey') and ended up really loving the whole album.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: July 02, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Nice, if anybody wants some chill electronic stuff here's mine: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/15HBbrv67tRDBxpyvQ7jPn?si=ibvIwsCJSy68nkM4a9LC4Q

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3489 on: July 02, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »

I went and added + ranked the EP scores, for anyone who was curious. If anyone notices any errors in my arithmetic, I will ignore you and talk shit about you behind your back.

You missed mine. :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3490 on: July 02, 2020, 11:20:55 PM »
FUCK

edit: OK, I added you and Train who I skipped for some reason.  :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3491 on: July 02, 2020, 11:48:49 PM »
FUCK

edit: OK, I added you and Train who I skipped for some reason.  :lol
You clearly hate Dutch people. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3492 on: July 03, 2020, 12:34:36 AM »
Next time I see Train I'll tell him all about this!
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3493 on: July 03, 2020, 01:18:55 AM »

Also, shoutout to whoever sent Psychonaut (Puppies, I think?), because I checked them out (based solely on the strength of the title 'All I Saw as a Huge Monkey') and ended up really loving the whole album.
It was me! I talk about Psychonaut to everyone :D I love them so much I signed them!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3494 on: July 13, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
*glances at your RYM*

jeez Ariich, on a Thy Catafalque binge much? Looks like you enjoy them even more than I do :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3495 on: July 13, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »
*glances at your RYM*

jeez Ariich, on a Thy Catafalque binge much? Looks like you enjoy them even more than I do :lol
:lol

Yeah I'm going to work my way through artist by artist, essentially starting with an album or two, seeing what I think, and if I'm liking it enough, keeping going until I lose interest. There were a few I'd already checked an album by out so I started with those, and now I'm working on the round 1 artists, so the last week or so has definitely been pretty Thy Catafalque heavy. Obviously it's only based on a handful of listens per album but it all sounds very strong. I'm sure over time as I get to know the albums better some will go up in my estimation and others may go down, but it's all great so far. Just got Tűnő Idő Tárlat left for now, as nothing before that is on Spotify.

I'm happy to report back here as I work through each artist, if people are interested!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3496 on: July 13, 2020, 01:07:03 PM »
I'm just waiting on my post-roulette album bonanza review again

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3497 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:43 PM »
:lol Yeah I'll get to those too, don't worry. Wanted to make a start on some artists I'd at least heard some songs by first.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: July 13, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
I'm happy to report back here as I work through each artist, if people are interested!

*raises hand in interest*

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3499 on: July 13, 2020, 02:31:11 PM »

*raises hand in interest*
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar