Poll

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 03:08:19 PM

Author Topic: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!  (Read 187308 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – round 6 comparisons
« Reply #2205 on: June 11, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
big j dilla donuts fan here too

also: having a hell of a time sequencing this EP correctly. i know what songs i want to send (all 5 of them, babey) but i literally can't decide which song should go where aaahh

Send it to me and I'll sequence it for you. I'll even do edits for you, for only $299.99.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2206 on: June 11, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
why would i pay you $300 to intentionally sabotage my EP

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: June 11, 2020, 06:21:49 PM »
Well first off it's not $300 it's $299.99, let's be real here, second, I can confirm Puppies knows how to structure the EPs
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2208 on: June 11, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
flow is like the only thing my EPs score consistently good at so i'll figure it out eventually and get a good enough flow score to outweigh how bad my song score is gonna be it's fine

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2209 on: June 11, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
Actually I wouldn't intentionally sabotage an EP. I think my EP is going to be good enough to win on it's own merits. Then again, I'm biased towards my EP  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2210 on: June 11, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
i have two versions of my EP but one of them breaks two of the rules (artist count, length) even if it's the better one augh
i could cut out one song without breaking the theme but i'd be really sad about it. might cry
i miss the days of "40 minute EPs, no artist restrictions" let's go back to 2017 y'all

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2211 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »
throw out the whole EP, save it for later, make another one
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2212 on: June 11, 2020, 11:48:55 PM »
Ok party people, it's :friday: so you know what that means!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2213 on: June 11, 2020, 11:53:18 PM »
it's time to sleep, party people

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – round 6 RESULTS
« Reply #2214 on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomi – Corrosion of Conformity
1. Albatross
2. Clean My Wounds
3. Broken Man
4. Seven Days

First impression: Reminds me of a band I’ve not heard for years, and was only ever lukewarm on.

Final opinion: Alright so I know they’re not really the same style as CoC are more stoner rock, but the “90s southern rock, just heavier” vibe reminds me so much of Monster Magnet. Overall, I find this more interesting, as there’s a sweet groove to the music (especially in Seven Days) and these four tracks are generally more consistent and interesting than I used to find MM. But on the downside, the vocal lines are severely lacking in hooks, which I kinda feel are needed to really make the style work. 

Score: 7.5

Lethean – Andromeda
1. Periscope
2. Ghosts On Retinas
3. Blink of an Eye

First impression: Exactly what I expected – a bit more exciting, but I don’t think it’s by a huge amount.

Final opinion: Compared with their first two albums, which I only rated 3 stars back when I heard them years ago, a 7.6 is a very respectable score, even if it is rather low for this roulette. These songs, especially Periscope, are certainly more interesting than I remember the other albums being – there’s a good proggy sound to it and some nice ideas. But ultimately it still feels like second-tier prog – a good version of it, but not that exciting to me I’m afraid.

Score: 7.6

Nekov – Telefon Tel Aviv
1. The Birds
2. Helen of Troy
3. Lotus Above Water
4. John Thomas on the Inside Is Nothing but Foam

First impression: I can see what you’re going for, but not sure I’m entirely feeling it yet.

Final opinion: This grew on me a bit, and I’m definitely feeling the general vibe now. The big positive is the really interesting and original use of different sounds to create something pretty unique, at least to me. The last two tracks are lovely, and I’ll almost certainly check that album out. The other two are ok, but they use that sort of intentionally-slightly-out-of-tune style that is really hard to get right, and doesn’t work for me here, plus the vocals in them are really bland and kind of pointless which I find disproportionately irritating. :lol

Score: 7.8

Stadler – UFO
1. Heel of a Stranger
2. Doing It All For You
3. Love to Love

First impression: One fantastic track, the rest perfectly pleasant but not very exciting.

Final opinion: Right, so the first two tracks here really do strike me as very middle-of-the-road 80s hard rock. It’s all very competent and there’s some nice enough guitar work, but even that doesn’t sound particularly special. But then Love to Love is a whole different beast. It’s still in the same style, but it has a moody tension to it, particularly thanks to a more unsettling rhythmic approach, which immediately makes it a whole lot more interesting. The minor key seems to suits this band much better, the song has stronger hooks, and the solo at the end has a ton more emotion.

Jingle – Led Zeppelin
1. The Rain Song
2. No Quarter
3. That’s the Way

First impression: A little different to what I expected, but not sure it’s that much more exciting.

Final opinion: Part of the thing that’s always held Led Zep back for me has been the fact that, with a couple of exceptions, their vocal lines were just sooooooooooooooo boring. And unfortunately, these songs aren’t going to change my mind on that. I just don’t get any sense of melody from them. Instrumentally, though, this is a nice and surprising selection of songs. I like the folky side of The Rain Song and That’s the Way, and I like the whole groovy sound of No Quarter which is probably my favourite here.

Indi – Elio e Le Storie Tese
1. Plafone
2. La Canzone Mononota
3. Pagano
4. Ritmo Sbilenco

First impression: Highly entertaining!

Final opinion: There’s a bit of a language barrier here, only that in order to be able to fully enjoy it, I need to be following along with translated lyrics. When I’ve done so, some of it is really genuinely funny, particular the single note song which is pretty genius in its composition. The others are also very entertaining, if not as witty. Musically speaking, it’s all pretty good and there’s some great stuff – I think Ritmo Sbilenco/Odd Meter is one I enjoy most as it has a great groove to a lot of it, plus it’s the slickest production- and performance-wise, making it easier to enjoy simply as a song, rather than as a piece of comedy.

Score: 8.0

Sacul – Justice
1. Genesis
2. D.A.N.C.E
3. Newjack
4. Phantom Pt. II
5. DVNO

First impression: The sound is AMAZING, but not yet sure if the music matches up.

Final opinion: The sound and style of this group are just so damn awesome. There’s obviously a huge dose of Daft Punk in there, but the sound is fatter and, for want of a better word, filthier. It’s like a cross between Daft Punk and Pendulum. For a lot of it, the music itself isn’t really very interesting. There’s a great groove of course, but melodically and harmonically it’s all pretty basic and average. Thankfully the sound is just so damn great it compensates to still create something very enjoyable overall. I also appreciate this was their debut, so I’m interested in whether/how they’ve developed since.

Score: 8.1

Katt – Burden of Life
1. Sealing Our Fate
2. The Makeshift Conqueror, Pt. II

First impression: Very enjoyable – more power metal than I was expecting.

Final opinion: When you told me you were sending melodeath, I was really curious to know what it would sound like as you’ve never sent me any before and I’m not sure we’ve ever discussed the genre either. So anyway I probably shouldn’t have been THAT surprised to find a strong power metal influence in there. :lol There’s actually a nice mix of styles in here as well, little bits of thrash as well in some of the riffing. I’m not sure it blends the styles together quite as smoothly as I’d ideally like (the cheese and the br00tal do clash a little at times), but it’s all nicely done and overall a couple of really enjoyable metal songs.

Evermind – No-Man
1. All Sweet Things
2. Truenorth

First impression: Incredibly attractive but might feel a little backgroundy at times.

Final opinion: As you know, I checked out the album before the one these songs are from quite a while ago, and wasn’t particularly impressed – as I recall I just found it quite boring. Maybe I should give it another chance, because these songs are so much better. You mentioned that All Sweet Things was the song that prompted you to send me this, and man is it a really gorgeous, mellow tune. Truenorth is also lovely, but I do find the long ambient sections drag quite a bit.

Buddy – Gorillaz
1. On Melancholy Hill
2. Aries
3. Empire Ants
4. Magic City

First impression: This has a lovely warmth to it.

Final opinion: I remember when Damon Albarn first started this animated “band”, it was a cool idea and their first few singles were good. I never did give them a proper listen, and then when the novelty wore off in the UK mainstream, I didn’t really hear much about them or pay any attention. Anyway, seems it’s been moving into new directions since then. When it comes to electro-pop, I tend to be more interested in that which has either a lot of emotion or a bit of grit, but despite not really having either, this has a great warm vibe to it that I can’t help really like a lot.

Score: 8.2

Luoto – Ensiferum
1. Iron
2. Victory Song

First impression: Similar in style and quality to something that scored fairly well in round 1.

Final opinion: For some reason, I was expecting Ensiferum to be on the more atmospheric side of folk metal, but I’ve no idea why I thought that. Turns out that, much like Atlas Pain in round 1, they’re more on the power metal end of the genre. So I quickly recalibrated and have been enjoying this immensely. They’ve really gone for the medieval melodic approach, which I can find cheesy sometimes but they seem to do it more convincingly than a lot of bands, and the overall sound ends up being excellent fun.

wolfking – Lord
1. Reborn
2. Eternal Storm
3. Someone Else's Dream

First impression: Not very original, but nicely brings together an enjoyable range of metal influences.

Final opinion: These songs have just got better and better with every listen. The lack of originality probably held it back initially – for example, everything in Reborn sounds exactly like either Iced Earth (the verses), Blind Guardian (the big harmonised choruses) or Metallica (some of the riffing). But once I got over that, firstly the songs are simply really good metal songs. And secondly, it’s clear that there’s actually quite a range of different influences and styles thrown into the mix (like the melodeath in Someone Else’s Dream) in a very coherent way. So while each section might be derivative, the way they’ve blended them all together doesn’t really sound like anyone else.

king – Sting
1. If I Ever Lose My Faith in You
2. Love is Stronger Than Justice (The Munificent Seven)
3. Seven Days
4. Shape of My Heart

First impression: Turns out I know and love one of these songs, and the rest sound nice too.

Final opinion: You won’t be surprised, I’m sure, that the song I was referring to is Shape of My Heart. I’ve heard it lots of times (although I’d completely forgotten it was Sting), and it’s just such a beautiful song. The other tracks aren’t nearly as special, but they’re all really good still in their own way, and what I also really like as well is the variety of styles on display that still feel really coherent. He has a great voice and a really nice emotionality to his music. My dad is a huge Sting fan, and it might finally be  time I properly check his stuff out.

Puppies – Arena
1. The Hanging Tree
2. The Butterfly Man
3. Ascension

First impression: There’s a theatricality that makes it more exciting than a lot of music in this genre.

Final opinion: Neo-prog really isn’t a big genre for me. Frost* are the huge exception, but I don’t think the description captures the breadth of their sound. Normally I find what I’ve heard in the genre to be either a bit bland and middle-of-the-road, or to be theatrical but lacking in strong melodies. But I think you may have found another exception here, because this has both hooks and theatrics in spades. The first two songs are brilliant, Ascension is less exciting but still solid.

Score: 8.3

romdrums – Like Thieves
1. Wake From Eternal Sleep
2. Brave the Day
3. Picture Perfect

First impression: Pretty much what I expected (which is great) with some other cool elements thrown in (also great).

Final opinion: You told me that this was the band that Clint Boge formed when he originally left The Butterfly Effect, and yeah it definitely carries on a lot of their sound. But there are also some other elements that I don’t really associate with TBE, particularly in the first song here which is more intense and chuggy than they usually were, but which excellently. None of these songs blow me away in quite the way the TBE’s absolute best songs did, but they are consistently excellent and I’m pretty confident I’ll be buying this album.

Elite – Perihelion Ship
1. The Sad Mountain
2. New Sun?

First impression: Starts alright, but only gets more exciting as it goes.

Final opinion: I honestly find the first few minutes of Sad Mountain pretty average prog metal – the main motif is pretty good, but everything else is just kinda… there. But the song gets better and better as it goes, and it’s super immersive by the end with some really fantastic guitar soloing. New Sun? then continues the quality right from the start, and is excellent throughout. It’s pretty heavy, a little technical, quite melodic – none of those features are pushed to their limits but rather brought together in a way that’s really well-balanced, punchy and exciting.

Train – Psychonaut
1. All I Saw as a Huge Monkey
2. Sananda

First impression: Big, immersive sound that I’m definitely digging.

Final opinion: This music is huge. The core style is post-metal, but it’s more richly melodic than a lot of the genre is. You described it as “psychedelic / spiritual post-metal” and I can definitely see that, it’s got a strong emotionality to it, particularly in the guitar work. The instrumental track was risky as I don’t often find instrumental post-metal very interesting, but it’s really epic and engaging. And then Sananda is much more proggy and varied, and really quite exciting (and that ending is glorious). 

LordCost – Fjokra
1. Slyrex
2. Love, Thrust, Burn
3. Psycho For The Sake Of It

First impression: This is an absolute blast!

Final opinion: I can see what you mean about this band having some similar vibes to Mad Lollipop, in the sense that it’s rock music that occasionally gets heavy and brings all sorts of other styles in (pop, electronic, funk, reggae!). This is considerably less bonkers than Mad Lollipop in terms of how quickly it shifts between ideas, instead taking a much more groovy and melodic approach to bringing these genres in. And if anything this works even better – it’s still super quirky, but the songs end up being more memorable!

Score: 8.4

TAC – Illyria
1. Swansong
2. Kenopsia
3. Autumn Fades Away

First impression: Intense and atmospheric – this is excellent.

Final opinion: Here is the first of our Illyria submissions. I’ll start by briefly saying that it’s not quite as great as Cyril’s choices, but it’s still pretty amazing melodic black metal. Swansong is absolutely wonderful, it’s intense and yet harmonically melancholy which is a gorgeous mix. Autumn Fades Away is fantastic too. Kenopsia is also solid and provides some nice variety with a slightly more blackgaze kind of style, but it’s the least interesting of the bunch and ultimately the difference between your and Cyril’s scores.

Score: 8.4

lonestar – Allegaeon
1. Tsunami and Submergence
2. Apoptosis

First impression: Tight, heavy, proggy… it sounds pretty thrilling.

Final opinion: You sent me a song of theirs in a tiebreaker round in my v3 roulette, and it was fantastic. I then checked out that album, and it was solid but nothing was as good as that song. Now you’ve sent me two songs from their latest album, and they’re even better. The music is just so heavy and epic, the performance and production is super-tight which makes it that much more engaging, and the proggy side makes it really exciting. I just hope the full album matches up this time! :lol And perhaps I should give the previous one another go.

Score: 8.5

Cyril – Illyria
1. Resurgence
2. The Carpathian Summit

First impression: Intense and atmospheric – this is excellenter.

Final opinion: Alright so I love TAC’s songs from this album, but I love these even more. I can see that Resurgence is the album opener, and what a fantastic opener it is. It’s somehow very heavy, very atmospheric and very melodic all at the same time. I like this on a par with Swansong from Tim’s submission, but the difference here is The Carpathian Summit which is amazing and the best song of the bunch. It has everything that the others songs have, plus some really cool jazz influences which work surprisingly well alongside everything else.

Score: 8.6

Shadow – Sleeping At Last
1. Light
2. Hearing
3. Saturn

First impression: :jawdrop:

Final opinion: It’s very rare, but just occasionally, someone sends me something really special (this is only the second time I’ve ever rated something above a 9.0). I’m fully aware that a lot of people would listen to these songs and think “yeah ok, nice enough but a bit boring”. But the joy of music is finding something that really speaks to you on every level, often in ways you can’t fully explain. I think here, what I find so encapsulating – on top of how utterly gorgeous the music is – is how wonderfully it simultaneously captures both the personal and the universal. Anathema are the only other band who have done this in a way that completely sucks me in, and it’s the same here. Both musically and conceptually, the songs are based on huge ideas (the beginning of the universe and dawn of life on earth) but in a way that is very individual and emotional. Everything about the music and sound in these songs is just so beautiful.

Score: 9.4

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2215 on: June 11, 2020, 11:56:48 PM »
Scores after Round 6:

1. Katt     = 8.5 + 8.0 + 9.0 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 8.1 = 50.3
 2. Evermind = 9.0 + 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 8.1 = 50.2
 3. Cyril    = 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.6 = 49.9
 4. wolfking = 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.9 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 49.7
 5= Shadow   = 8.0 + 6.9 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 9.0 + 9.4 = 49.6
 5= Buddy    = 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.6 + 8.6 + 7.9 + 8.2 = 49.6
 7. Train    = 8.9 + 8.1 + 7.5 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.3 = 49.5
 8. romdrums = 8.0 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 + 8.3 + 8.3 = 49.4
 9= TAC      = 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.5 + 8.4 = 49.3
 9= jingle   = 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 7.8 = 49.3
11. Puppies  = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.3 = 49.0
12= Nekov    = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 7.8 = 48.8
12= lonestar = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.5 = 48.8
14= Luoto    = 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.2 = 48.7
14= Elite    = 8.1 + 8.5 + 7.6 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.3 = 48.7
16. Indi     = 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 8.0 = 48.4
17= Sacul    = 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 = 48.1
17= king     = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.0 + 8.2 = 48.1
19. Lethean  = 7.6 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.4 + 7.6 = 47.5
20= Tomi     = 7.3 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 + 8.1 + 7.5 = 47.4
20= Stadler  = 7.4 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 8.4 + 7.8 = 47.4
20= LordCost = 7.2 + 8.8 + 7.3 + 8.2 + 7.5 + 8.4 = 47.4

Things are heating up at the top. Katt and Ev maintain their top 2 spots, but a whole pack of people suddenly closes the gap. And astonishingly that includes Shadow who was in last place only two rounds ago - just look at that redemption arc! Going into the last two rounds, there are a lot of people who can win this.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #2216 on: June 12, 2020, 12:05:14 AM »
Three way tie at the bottom  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2217 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11:32 AM »
Shadow be like Y E E E E E E T

the 8.1-8.6 range continues to taunt me, this might be the single most consistent anyone has ever scored in a roulette tbh, it's kind of absurd  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2218 on: June 12, 2020, 12:17:48 AM »
question: does the rounding-down requirement also apply to the 35 minute cap on EPs, ie. would 35:59 fly but 36:00 be banned?  :P
probably irrelevent as i'm gonna likely send the shorter version of my EP anyways but whoooo knooowwsss

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2219 on: June 12, 2020, 12:20:40 AM »
the 8.1-8.6 range continues to taunt me, this might be the single most consistent anyone has ever scored in a roulette tbh, it's kind of absurd  :lol
It is ridiculously consistent, and crucially it's consistently good which is why you're in a clear 3rd place and closing the gap.

Indi has a narrower range of scores (a spread of 0.4 to your 0.5) but at a lower scoring level.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2220 on: June 12, 2020, 12:21:54 AM »
question: does the rounding-down requirement also apply to the 35 minute cap on EPs, ie. would 35:59 fly but 36:00 be banned?  :P
probably irrelevent as i'm gonna likely send the shorter version of my EP anyways but whoooo knooowwsss
I hadn't considered it but I guess yeah that same loophole can apply, if you need it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2221 on: June 12, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »
dammit indi stop being more consistent than me

also shadow has both the best and worst score in the entire roulette now which i think is quaint

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2222 on: June 12, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »
Hey ariich, I'm actually changing my submission for next round after all. I didn't expect to have a shot to be near the top, but now that I am I think I could either creatively use that discarded artist for the EP or leave it out for now. Don't get me wrong they're fantastic, but some people here do not agree with me :biggrin: updated playlist

Oh and that Psychonaut album is absolutely massive. The first track is the only proper instrumental track (there's another one near the end but it's more like a 'spiritual healing' sorta intermission), the rest is more proggy like Sananda. The absolute pinnacle of modern progressive metal in my opinion.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2223 on: June 12, 2020, 01:29:45 AM »
when you're double-checking all the artists on your EP and one of them was banned and you didn't notice until now  :facepalm:

woops. i can replace it, but, woops

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2224 on: June 12, 2020, 01:41:32 AM »
I mean, that EP is already ineligible for breaking 2 rules so why not break a third, right?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2225 on: June 12, 2020, 01:45:30 AM »
 :metal
i might just leave that version as is and send you the way less fun version since it seems basically impossible to get the thing i want to work to work, and then you'll probably end up liking the less fun version more anyways so

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2226 on: June 12, 2020, 02:00:20 AM »
Tough competition in this roulette. I feel like this is the best I've ever done in namesake's roulette, yet I'm not even in the top half :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2227 on: June 12, 2020, 02:07:28 AM »
I finally found a niche of consistency in my life!  :lol

Rich, your assessment of EelST brightened my day.

I've been pimping that act's musical prowess all across Europe for years despite the language barrier, and I've finally found an open minded bloke with great taste  :P

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2228 on: June 12, 2020, 04:36:35 AM »
Damn... was hoping to stay at 8+ for the whole roulette.  Oh well.

Time to right some serious wrongs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:38 AM »
I thought that was a very generous score for LZ.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2230 on: June 12, 2020, 05:35:01 AM »

Kids these days.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: June 12, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »
I'm up at 4am for work tomorrow.  I won't be able to send until Sunday night sorry Rich.

It's 10pm Fri night here right now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: June 12, 2020, 05:54:09 AM »

Kids these days.

Haha.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2233 on: June 12, 2020, 06:16:17 AM »
Holy shit what how  :rollin

I may change round 7 today. Really want to stick with my submission yet I'm not confident I can keep first with that. Decisions, decisions.

Shadow... GOD. DAAAAAAAAAMN
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:48:32 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2234 on: June 12, 2020, 06:37:53 AM »
Nice. 

Rich, Sting's solo career very diverse. I think you'd like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2235 on: June 12, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
:metal
i might just leave that version as is and send you the way less fun version since it seems basically impossible to get the thing i want to work to work, and then you'll probably end up liking the less fun version more anyways so
:lol Possibly. I don't mind either way - if the two are significantly different then I'll be happy to give this ineligible one a post-roulette listen later on and report back.

Tough competition in this roulette. I feel like this is the best I've ever done in namesake's roulette, yet I'm not even in the top half :lol
Yeah seriously. Almost everyone who has played before is scoring higher than they have in the past. :lol I'm really, really interested to see how these ratings translate into full album ratings, and whether there's a significant difference between people. I'll have to think about how I record and monitor that so I can report back.

Rich, your assessment of EelST brightened my day.

I've been pimping that act's musical prowess all across Europe for years despite the language barrier, and I've finally found an open minded bloke with great taste  :P
:D

As I said, the language barrier was there and I think stopped it from being a higher score, but definitely doesn't stop it still being very enjoyable!

Damn... was hoping to stay at 8+ for the whole roulette.  Oh well.
We're now down to only five players who have maintained that run - the top 4, and then romdrums.

Time to right some serious wrongs.
Why do I get the impression this is a threat? :lol

I'm up at 4am for work tomorrow.  I won't be able to send until Sunday night sorry Rich.

It's 10pm Fri night here right now.
No worries at all Kade, as ever Sunday is completely fine.

Holy shit what how  :rollin

I may change round 7 today. Really want to stick with my submission yet I'm not confident I can keep first with that. Decisions, decisions.
Decisions, decisions...

Rich, Sting's solo career very diverse. I think you'd like it.
Sounds good, and at least I have a good starting point!

Hey ariich, I'm actually changing my submission for next round after all. I didn't expect to have a shot to be near the top, but now that I am I think I could either creatively use that discarded artist for the EP or leave it out for now. Don't get me wrong they're fantastic, but some people here do not agree with me :biggrin: updated playlist
Quite a lot of people second-guessing themselves right now - very entertaining for me for course, but obviously I want you all to send the best stuff you can. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2236 on: June 12, 2020, 06:55:25 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: June 12, 2020, 07:19:27 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(

I was sure TTA would be up your alley but I guess not
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: June 12, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
Okay cool, I've got power metal lined up but I'll probably just do what I did for the previous round, wake up tomorrow and send whatever's in my head, and if it's banned, then I'll go power metal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2239 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »
When it comes to electro-pop, I tend to be more interested in that which has either a lot of emotion or a bit of grit, but despite not really having either

:'(

Between this and your Dir En Grey debacle, expect whatever I send this round to be deliberately non-emotional. :lol
Not quite sure what to send tbh. Could go for something heavy and epic. Or something energetic and very self-indulgent. Will have to mull it over
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1