Poll

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 03:08:19 PM

Author Topic: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!  (Read 184959 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – round 4 comparisons
« Reply #1505 on: May 28, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »
Yay, I went up finally.
Giggity?

He's definitely sexin you later.

Unless of course, you're the one blackmailing him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1506 on: May 28, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »
Well now this is interesting.

After round 3, we had two clear leaders, five clear trailers, and the other fifteen players in a pack bunched up with their scores close together.

Based on tentative scores for round 4, the difference between top and bottom is nearly identical to round 3, but with a much more even spread between them. 

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1507 on: May 28, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »
am i gonna have to start referencing other songs named the middle

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1508 on: May 28, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
how many you got?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1509 on: May 28, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
I hope the power of the monkeys has helped me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1510 on: May 28, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
how many you got?
only these two. i have four begin again's though

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1511 on: May 28, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »
I would hope you like Kamasi Washington better than Darkwater.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: May 28, 2020, 04:17:06 PM »
Yay, I went up finally.
Giggity?

He's definitely sexin you later.

Unless of course, you're the one blackmailing him.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1515 on: May 28, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
Didn't expect a higher score than last round, but I was really hoping for it anyway.   :sadpanda:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – round 4 RESULTS
« Reply #1516 on: May 29, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
ROUND 4 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
king – I Mother Earth
1. God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas)
2. Like The Sun
3. Soft Bomb Salad

First impression: Middle-of-the-road!

Final opinion: In hindsight, middle of the road isn’t a very fair description of this. I think it was a little coloured by the final track, which definitely feels more appropriate to that phrase. In general, there’s a cool grungy 90s hard rock vibe here. I do actually like it quite a bit, and Like The Sun in particular reminds me so much of the music I was really into in my late teens and early 20s (which I guess is when this album came out, so that makes sense), in a positive way. The other two songs have some cool stuff too, but seem to lack punch and don’t grab me in the same way.

Score: 7.7

TAC – Marsyas
1. Wait for the Tide
2. Palace of the Living

First impression: Talented if a little uninspiring.

Final opinion: Like with king, I think my first impression was overstated. It took a couple of listens, but there’s a lot of cool stuff going on here. The band are undoubtedly very skilled and have lots of neat, proggy ideas. It doesn’t quite hang together for me enough to give it a high rating, but I’m definitely digging it a lot more than on that first listen. I also note that this is a debut album, which is impressive and shows a lot of promise, so I’ll give the full album a listen still, and will be interested to see what they do next.

Score: 7.7

lonestar – Marillion
1. Hotel Hobbies
2. Warm Wet Circles
3. That Time of the Night (The Short Straw)
4. Going Under
5. Just for the Record

First impression: Very nice, but probably won’t change my mind.

Final opinion: My previous experience with Marillion has always placed them as an almost-great band. This is probably the most exciting and dynamic thing I’ve heard from them, and it’s half an album so I assume I’ll similarly like the album quite a lot, but it doesn’t quite shift them from that status I think. Instrumentally, a lot of the music is really great (Just for the Record is GORGEOUS), but what I’ve heard in both the Fish and H eras has never quite worked for me in terms of vocal melodies, and that’s still the case here unfortunately.

Score: 7.8

Indi – Chris Squire
1. Safe (Canon Song)

First impression: Lots to appreciate, but enough to enjoy?

Final opinion: Argh, I have such mixed feelings about this song. Compositionally, it’s outstanding. It has a well-thought out structure, good use of forms and with a nice build once it gets into the instrumental section. Unsurprisingly it features excellent and prominent bass work that’s lovely to listen to. In fact I’d even say that from the 5 minute mark onwards is pretty consistently excellent and would have earned a much higher score had it not been for those first 5 minutes which, bass-work aside, I just find quite boring. It sounds very much in the Yes mold of prog rock, which has never quite worked for me.

Score: 7.9

Elite – Kamasi Washington
1. Re Run
2. Clair de Lune

First impression: :millahhhh

Final opinion: Well now this is some rather lovely, slick jazz. It’s very traditional in its general style, with a lot of improv soloing, which isn’t something I tend to find that exciting. But it’s done really very nicely indeed, and there are some gorgeous touches in the orchestration, like the use of choirs which adds a great sound. I’m not sure if the full 3-hour album would have enough variety or end up becoming background music, but these two tracks are excellent.

Score: 8.1

Katt – Arctic Monkeys
1. R U Mine?
2. Snap Out Of It
3. Knee Socks
4. I Wanna Be Yours

First impression: Nice groove, there’s potential to change my mind.

Final opinion: I definitely find this more interesting than what I’ve heard from the Arctic Monkeys before. This slicker, groovier and slightly poppier approach seems to really suit them well. It’s not mind-blowing or anything, and I still find Alex Turner’s voice kind of bland, but the shift in their style means strong vocals aren’t really needed, and actually the singing style fits the more laid-back vibe well. I’ll definitely give this album a listen, and am open to suggestions for others that might be similar.

Stadler – Jethro Tull
1. Dun Ringhill
2. Jack-a-Lynn
3. Life Is A Long Song
4. Wond’ring Again
5. Overhang

First impression: This is rather lovely, and might well change my mind.

Final opinion: The only thing I’ve previously heard from Tull was Aqualung, and I liked it, but not as much as I thought I might given the blend of prog rock and English folk music. Based on what you’ve sent me here, it seems that either there are other albums I’ll like more, or possibly that the band have particular great songs from throughout the years. Anyway this is lovely stuff – really warm and immersive. Seems to be a largely acoustic selection, but I like the inclusion of Overhang as well which is a bit more rocking and dramatic. That and Jack-a-Lynn are my favourites, so I think the album they’re from should be my next stop.

Jingle – Dimension Act
1. Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence

First impression: Sounds solid, but it’s a lot to take in on one listen.

Final opinion: You described last round as pub food and this one as fine dining, and I totally get that. Stylistically, this is definitely a bit more up my alley, and if I had to guess I’d say that I’ll probably enjoy full albums by Dimension Act more than by Primal Fear. But purely in terms of the submissions, the quality ends being pretty similar, although I do like this a little more overall. What the PF songs had were some really gorgeous moments, the sort of music that really draws me in. I don’t quite get that at any point in this, so it doesn’t have such high highs, but it’s more consistently interesting throughout and the style is more dynamic.

romdrums – Unprocessed
1. Prototype
2. Down the Spine
3. The Movements, Their Echoes

First impression: Heavy, tuneful, should be up my alley but not grabbing me yet.

Final opinion: I was definitely right to include the qualifier “yet” in my first impression. This was a huge grower. In my defence, the music is pretty crazy – it’s intense and shifts around a lot – so it’s a bit much to take in at first. I still find it a little much at times, but it’s extremely enjoyable and dynamic music and there are nice hooks and great grooves in the djenty riffing. Down the Spine is a great inclusion too – shows that like Periphery the music benefits from those more ambient moments.

Shadow – Imagine Dragons
1. It's Time
2. Amsterdam
3. Nothing Left to Say / Rocks

First impression: Nice warmth and energy to this.

Final opinion: Wow, these guys seem to be extremely unpopular on sites like RYM and Sputnik music. :lol I really like these songs you’ve sent me though, which likely means either you’ve selected their best songs and the rest is mediocre, or they’re one of those cool-to-hate bands that are actually pretty good. Either way, this is really nice pop rock – nothing special or unique but excellent at what it does, with a good sound, great warmth, upbeat vibes and catchy hooks.

Luoto – Nicumo
1. Three Pyres
2. Beyond Horizon
3. Aiolos

First impression: Moody!

Final opinion: Yet another solid submission, this time some really nice moody proggy metal with occasional harsh vocals. They seem to be pretty unknown (only 7 ratings on RYM, for example) but you wouldn’t know from the sound which is pretty strong, nor from the writing which is pretty mature. Not a unique band or style at all, but these songs are a nice balance of crunchy, tuneful and harmonically melancholy. Very engaging stuff.

Score: 8.2

LordCost – Mad Lollypop
1. Party with Imaginary Friends
2. Kidnapping the Princess

First impression: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson:

Final opinion: So this band lists their tags on Bandcamp as “electronic, electronic rock, progressive metal, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, rock, electropop, progressive, psychedelic, psychedelic metal, trance rock”. :lol Seems a pretty good summary, although there are also some punky vibes at times too. Anyway this music is impossible to categorise or even explain, and it’s pretty bonkers (especially the first track), and it’s really very enjoyable. I look forward to giving the full album a listen.

Train – Federation of the Disco Pimp
1. Walk Away
2. Crank
3. Click Your Heels
4. No Place Like Home

First impression: Groovy!

Final opinion: This is some funky stuff. Sounds to me like a more modern taken on 70s funk with a few other influences thrown in for good measure, including some nice jazzy influences. There’s a real vibe of Reign of Kindo’s jazzier material at times, which I love. In a lot of ways, the music is quite straightforward, but it’s executed with such class and groove that it’s impossible not to enjoy immensely.

Cyril – Tripsitter
1. Bury Me
2. Of Flowers
3. Hollow

First impression: Kind of unexpected and I don’t know what to think yet.

Final opinion: I found this quite jarring on first listen because the music really feels like it’s in a pretty melodic post-hardcore sort of area, but the vocals are more full-on hardcore and are quite intense. This is of course most evidently the case in Of Flowers, which is still not a super comfortable listen but is really interesting, unique and emotionally impactful, which I guess is the point. Once I got my head around this, I found myself really engrossed in it. 

Evermind – Julien Baker
1. Over
2. Appointments
3. Everything to Help You Sleep
4. Hurt Less

First impression: :'(

Final opinion: Jeez, you really keep tugging on those heartstrings, don’t you? This is another lovely submission. Maybe not quite as engaging as its closest comparators in this roulette, as it doesn’t have the variety of tone that Monica Heldal has or the richness of sound of Billie Eilish. But it’s gorgeous, melancholy music and Baker has a lovely, emotive voice.

Nekov – Moron Police
1. The Undersea
2. T-bag Your Grandma
3. Grand Theft Bovine
4. Captain Awkward
5. Prepopherous, This Prepophery (I Will Not Have It)

First impression: :dangerwillrobinson:

Final opinion: Well now this is some really great fun music! Kind of bonkers in a quirky and light-hearted sort of way, which is why it reminds me a lot of the only other band I know who does that in the hard rock genre, Freak Kitchen. But I think I could find these guys more consistently interesting as there’s a fuller sound and more variety of styles (even just in these five songs), where Freak Kitchen have become a bit samey and don’t branch out much from what they can do as a three-piece. Anyway, really enjoyable stuff.

Score: 8.3

Sacul – Blue Sky Black Death
1. The Era When We Sang
2. Shoot You Dead
3. Ghosts Among Men

First impression: Great vibes!

Final opinion: I think this is the best thing you’ve sent in any of my roulettes. It speaks really well to things I like in Maribou State in particular, but also Submotion Orchestra (this isn’t as jazzy and soulful, but certainly reminds me of their more electronic side). It’s got a great, moody downtempo vibe, really nice production that offers a pretty full sound while also getting across quite a lot of nuance, and just the right energy levels to make it enticing and immersive. Lovely.

Score: 8.3

Lethean – Solefald
1. Song Til Stormen
2. Raudedauden
3. Eukalyptustreet

First impression: I haven’t got my head around this yet, but I like it.

Final opinion: I’m still not sure I’ve entirely got my head around this – it’s a lot to take in and a real mix of styles. Song til Stormen is essentially Nordic folk music with electric guitars, and it’s wonderfully rich and dark. Raudedauden seems more avant-garde/black metal, and it’s quite intense but it’s pretty engaging. And then Eukalyptussreet has a huge epic sound that mixes some gorgeous, ambient stuff with some heavier folk metal moments. It’s crazy and exciting music.

Score: 8.4

Puppies – Kardashev
1. Iota
2. Beyond Sun and Moon
3. Snow-Sleep

First impression: Hypnotic!

Final opinion: Gosh, there is some heavy stuff here. Iota in particular is right on the intense end of the spectrum for my tastes, but it does manage to stay within that spectrum thanks to the melodic bits that come in (which make it seriously epic) and the fact that there’s something strangely hypnotic about it all. The other songs are still bloody heavy, but more balanced and varied and have some absolutely stunning stuff in them. The second half of Beyond Sun and Moon especially is just wonderful. Can’t wait to dig into these guys.

Score: 8.4

Tomi – Soen
1. Sectarian
2. Lascivious
3. Penance

First impression: Full of energy and emotion, rather likely to change my mind.

Final opinion: If I’m honest I don’t remember that much about the first two Soen albums, but I recall thinking they sounded a bit like Tool, just not as interesting as Tool’s best stuff. These three songs sound quite different though – a much richer and fuller sound (really digging the punchy production and riffing in places), and tonally much more emotional and heartfelt. And it’s really engrossing stuff – Lascivious in particular has a great chorus and the way the song ends is so cathartic. Definitely giving these two albums a listen.

Score: 8.5

Buddy – Ghost
1. Rats
2. Square Hammer
3. Miasma
4. Life Eternal

First impression: This is a blast, can definitely see this changing my mind.

Final opinion: Similar to the Soen above, this is really very different to what I remember from Ghost’s first two albums. I’m not even sure how to describe it really, it still has that gothic doom metally kind of vibe but even more than the early albums that’s a more distant influence and the core style is quite energetic, poppy hard rock almost bordering on AOR. As soon as the saxophone came in during Miasma, I was sold. :lol Seriously though, these songs are full of such charm and great hooks, what a blast.

Score: 8.6

wolfking – Mors Principium Est
1. The Awakening
2. Departure
3. We Are the Sleep
4. Monster in Me

First impression: :metal

Final opinion: I guess I can see why you make a comparison to Children of Bodom here, but I’m not really feeling it so much other than the fact that they both play pretty fast and heavy melodic death metal. As you know, I like Bodom, but tonally I think there’s something angsty about their music and approach, whereas these guys take a more mature and sincere approach. And I really love it a lot – slightly one-track perhaps, but it’s fierce, exciting and wonderfully balanced. The heavy side is intense, and the melodic side is epic and immersive. It’s really addictive too – on my second and third listens through submissions, I hadn’t even got through all of them before I had the itch to listen to this again.

Score: 8.9

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1517 on: May 29, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
Scores after Round 4:

1. Evermind = 9.0 + 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.2 = 34.0
 2. Katt     = 8.5 + 8.0 + 9.0 + 8.1 = 33.6
 3. Buddy    = 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.6 + 8.6 = 33.5
 4. wolfking = 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.9 = 33.3
 5. Cyril    = 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 8.2 = 33.0
 6= jingle   = 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 = 32.9
 6= Puppies  = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.4 = 32.9
 8= romdrums = 8.0 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 = 32.8
 8= Luoto    = 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 32.8
 8= Nekov    = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.5 + 8.3 = 32.8
11. Train    = 8.9 + 8.1 + 7.5 + 8.2 = 32.7
12. Lethean  = 7.6 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.4 = 32.5
13. TAC      = 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 7.7 = 32.4
14= Indi     = 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 7.9 = 32.3
14= Elite    = 8.1 + 8.5 + 7.6 + 8.1 = 32.3
16. lonestar = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 = 32.1
17. king     = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.2 + 7.7 = 31.9
18. Tomi     = 7.3 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 = 31.8
19. Sacul    = 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 8.3 = 31.7
20. LordCost = 7.2 + 8.8 + 7.3 + 8.2 = 31.5
21= Stadler  = 7.4 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 = 31.2
21= Shadow   = 8.0 + 6.9 + 8.2 + 8.1 = 31.2

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: May 29, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
Damn you Evermind :getoffmylawn: Buddy, get off my tail! Going to have to think of where to go from here... gulp.

Honestly, that's the only Arctic Monkeys album that sounds like that, IMO. But it's one of my favorite records of all time. The one after it, Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino, is just... kinda weird. I like it, but it's nothing like A.M.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1519 on: May 29, 2020, 10:54:55 AM »
Well that's probably the best Solefald has done of the times I've sent them.  I'll take it. :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: May 29, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »
Big yes for Soen doing this good. I'm not big on their first two albums but Lykaia and Lotus are fantastic.

Also hey, still doing pretty good! Will send something tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1521 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »
Hello 7.9, so glad to see you my friend.

You had me at "Argh"  :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1522 on: May 29, 2020, 11:04:40 AM »
If I'm going down, I'm taking Stadler with me.

With Imagine Dragons there's a combination 'cool to hate' combined with their recent music being genuinely pretty bad. Their first album though, (which all the songs I sent came from) is a really great album from beginning to end.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1523 on: May 29, 2020, 11:13:20 AM »
Aaah, so close to first place! And pretty close to first overall... but people are catching up to me too so idk if I'm going to get any higher. We shall see... :corn

Ariich, definitely check out the rest of their most recent album, and give Meliora a listen as well. Meliora's more in line with their first two albums, but it's still a big step above them in quality IMO.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: May 29, 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
Nice. Those guys are quirky but they put out some good music and, as you've said, they don't do the same all the time. I'll get to my shortlist and figure out what to send next.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1525 on: May 29, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
Still on that steady 8+ train :lol

Nicumo isn't really proggy at all, it was a stab into the Finnish gothic metal scene which you haven't explored almost at all. Plenty of Sentenced and early HIM influence, but also some atmospheric and Amorphis-esque moments.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1526 on: May 29, 2020, 11:27:12 AM »
Swing and a miss. Back to the chem set.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1527 on: May 29, 2020, 11:32:38 AM »

damn, i scored too well. ariich can you take back that 0.1 point? i need an 8.1 or i die
the worst score in the roulette thus far is a 6.9, nice

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1528 on: May 29, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »
starting to look like the Colors album cover over there

also poor lonestar :'(
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1529 on: May 29, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
I see what you're saying about Drawing the Lines... but I still think you're full of shit.   :lol   Also, no other albums - this was their one and only.

Decision time now; take one more swing for the fences, or flame out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: May 29, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
Sent something... romantic.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1531 on: May 29, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
Are you coming for my spot though? :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: May 29, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »

Man I give up. I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell of maintaining second place with what I just sent, but I guaran-fucking-tee nobody else will send this stuff, so I'm happy with that. :)

Except maybe Indiscipline. Indi might send what I sent.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:45:56 PM by Kattelox »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1533 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »

Man I give up. I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell of maintaining second place with what I just sent, but I guaran-fucking-tee nobody else will send this stuff, so I'm happy with that. :)

That's my motto for your roulette!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1534 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »
LordCost – Mad Lollypop
1. Party with Imaginary Friends
2. Kidnapping the Princess

First impression: :dangerwillrobinson: :dangerwillrobinson:

Final opinion: So this band lists their tags on Bandcamp as “electronic, electronic rock, progressive metal, progressive rock, psychedelic rock, rock, electropop, progressive, psychedelic, psychedelic metal, trance rock”. :lol Seems a pretty good summary, although there are also some punky vibes at times too. Anyway this music is impossible to categorise or even explain, and it’s pretty bonkers (especially the first track), and it’s really very enjoyable. I look forward to giving the full album a listen.

Had to listen to this album based solely on the description. Was not disappointed.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1535 on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »
Honestly, that's the only Arctic Monkeys album that sounds like that, IMO. But it's one of my favorite records of all time. The one after it, Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino, is just... kinda weird. I like it, but it's nothing like A.M.
Hmm, ok, well I'll definitely be giving it a listen and hopefully I like it as much as these tracks and purchase it. If I do, I'll probably at least give a quick listen to their other recent stuff just to see what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello 7.9, so glad to see you my friend.

You had me at "Argh"  :D
:lol I think every score guess was either spot on or 0.1 out, which was either incredibly perceptive of everyone or one of you hacked me. :P

If I'm going down, I'm taking Stadler with me.
:lol If you're going out, then go out in style.

Although actually the increased spread of scores (I'll post another graph at some point to demonstrate this) instead of little clumps actually makes it easier for anyone to make big jumps like wolfking did this round. So hope is not lost!

With Imagine Dragons there's a combination 'cool to hate' combined with their recent music being genuinely pretty bad. Their first album though, (which all the songs I sent came from) is a really great album from beginning to end.
Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I do my post-roulette exploring!

Ariich, definitely check out the rest of their most recent album, and give Meliora a listen as well. Meliora's more in line with their first two albums, but it's still a big step above them in quality IMO.
Useful to know, but it'd be weird to check out three of their albums and leave one unlistened to, so I'll give both a listen for sure (but yeah I'll start with the latest).

Still on that steady 8+ train :lol
You are nothing if not reliable. :lol There are, funnily enough 8 of you who have scored at least an 8.0 in every round so far - I wonder how long that can be maintained! Also as of this latest round, all 22 participants have sent me at least one submission that scored 8.1 or higher, which is quite remarkable really - my post-roulette exploring is going to take a loooooong time.

Nicumo isn't really proggy at all, it was a stab into the Finnish gothic metal scene which you haven't explored almost at all. Plenty of Sentenced and early HIM influence, but also some atmospheric and Amorphis-esque moments.
Fair enough, I think the mix of styles gave off a proggy vibe to me but yeah I didn't mean to suggest they were a prog band.

damn, i scored too well. ariich can you take back that 0.1 point? i need an 8.1 or i die
How long can you survive without an 8.1? I can give you one in round 5 if it's an emergency.

the worst score in the roulette thus far is a 6.9, nice
Yeah the scores are generally coming out higher on the whole. The lowest scores in my previous roulettes have been 6.0 in each of v3 and v4, and 6.5 in v5. I think scoring to the nearest 0.1 is making a difference with scoring (e.g. a 7.8 would probably have been rounded down to a 7.5 in past roulettes), but also sending these short compilations I guess focuses (in theory) on the better stuff. So with the stuff I'm less keen on, a full album might bore me enough that I score it down, whereas a handful of songs I might find generally ok.

Then again, at the upper end, the scores aren't pushing quite so high. The usual highest scores are 9.0 but that's because of rounding - in every roulette I've received things that would have scored 9.1-9.3 (plus there was LordCost's 9.5 in v4). Could be that not having a full album just doesn't immerse me quite enough to push the score higher, or maybe y'all just haven't sent quite the right stuff yet... ;)

also poor lonestar :'(
Yeah it's a pretty unfortunate trajectory, but it's recoverable!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1536 on: May 29, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »
Useful to know, but it'd be weird to check out three of their albums and leave one unlistened to, so I'll give both a listen for sure (but yeah I'll start with the latest).

They only have four full-length albums; the first two which you've listened to, Meliora, then Prequelle. Square Hammer is technically off of an EP where it's the only original song, but it sometimes gets grouped with the deluxe edition of Meliora as well.

Also, sent!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1537 on: May 29, 2020, 01:59:41 PM »

They only have four full-length albums; the first two which you've listened to, Meliora, then Prequelle. Square Hammer is technically off of an EP where it's the only original song, but it sometimes gets grouped with the deluxe edition of Meliora as well.
Ah ok, yeah on Spotify it was showing on Meliora so I assumed it was from there. Anyway whatevs, I'll just check the lot out. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1538 on: May 29, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
That's ... actually a little disappointing
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1539 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »

Except maybe Indiscipline. Indi might send what I sent.

For a minute I thought about it, then I sent some music from the goden age of hairy chests.