News:

Dream Theater Forums:  Biggest Dream Theater online community since 2007.

Main Menu

ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!

Started by ariich, May 01, 2020, 02:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 02:08:19 PM

wolfking

Quote from: ariich on May 20, 2020, 07:35:42 AM
It depends a huge amount on work. I can listen to a lot of music while I'm working - not while I'm in calls/meetings obviously, but pretty much the whole rest of the time. Plus during a roulette I prioritise listening to music over TV or video games. So the combination of those two factors means a lot of time available to have music on.

Of course, not every listen is equally attentive (mainly when working), but across 3-4 listens of each, I'm able to give enough attention to form a view. And if I'm struggling to form a view on something, I'll give it another listen.

I comend you also for the amount of music and on point timeline you've been running things so far, but I find at times having music on is great, but you often get lost from the music because you are focusing on work.  It just relegates to the background at times.  Are you able to keep a constant ear on the music and really pay attention when listening to all the submissions?  Because I think I would struggle with that.

Lethean

Quote from: ariich on May 20, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
Quote from: Kattelox on May 20, 2020, 11:21:45 AM
I like how "Huge" is the smallest description. Clever!
:biggrin:

Well at least I'm number 1 in something.  Now I just have to hope this is a positive... it could be neutral, just related to Colossus as a song title.

ariich

Quote from: wolfking on May 20, 2020, 03:19:28 PM
Quote from: ariich on May 20, 2020, 07:35:42 AM
It depends a huge amount on work. I can listen to a lot of music while I'm working - not while I'm in calls/meetings obviously, but pretty much the whole rest of the time. Plus during a roulette I prioritise listening to music over TV or video games. So the combination of those two factors means a lot of time available to have music on.

Of course, not every listen is equally attentive (mainly when working), but across 3-4 listens of each, I'm able to give enough attention to form a view. And if I'm struggling to form a view on something, I'll give it another listen.

I comend you also for the amount of music and on point timeline you've been running things so far, but I find at times having music on is great, but you often get lost from the music because you are focusing on work.  It just relegates to the background at times.  Are you able to keep a constant ear on the music and really pay attention when listening to all the submissions?  Because I think I would struggle with that.
As I said, not every listen of every submission, no, as obviously I'm also focusing on my work. But I've always been good at multitasking, so unless I completely tune out to 100% focus on work (in which case I listen again), I take a lot in. Plus I make sure I give enough attentive listens to each submission (e.g. across the weekday evenings at the moment, before lockdown I used commuting time) to get to know it well.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

TAC

I know in my last two roulettes..
V.3 had 12 people submitting 2 songs each round and,
V.4 had 14 people submitting EP's..

I pretty much stayed on point with weekly rounds. This was my method:

1st listen: Get an all around feel
2nd listen: Start ranking (rough scoring) songs
3rd listen: Scratch out basic writeups
4th listen: Confirm the scores and writeups

The other thing I did was listen right away to whatever I had.

If something was really bad, it didn't necessarily get a 4th listen. Close calls even got an extra chance to compare.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

jingle.boy

Maybe envious was the more appropriate way to describe how I feel  :biggrin:. I used to be able to regularly listen to yin's hrs of music a day, but work has been absolutely cray cray the past few months.  And totally get that it only takes 2-3 listens to get a handle on how much you (royal) like a song - even faster if you dislike it. There were a handful of tunes that didn't even get a 3rd listen from me because it was just not my thing, and no amount of listening was gonna change that.

Hoping for a middle of the pack score... definitely getting a red downgrade tomorrow.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Crow


wolfking

Quote from: ariich on May 20, 2020, 03:46:10 PM
Quote from: wolfking on May 20, 2020, 03:19:28 PM
Quote from: ariich on May 20, 2020, 07:35:42 AM
It depends a huge amount on work. I can listen to a lot of music while I'm working - not while I'm in calls/meetings obviously, but pretty much the whole rest of the time. Plus during a roulette I prioritise listening to music over TV or video games. So the combination of those two factors means a lot of time available to have music on.

Of course, not every listen is equally attentive (mainly when working), but across 3-4 listens of each, I'm able to give enough attention to form a view. And if I'm struggling to form a view on something, I'll give it another listen.

I comend you also for the amount of music and on point timeline you've been running things so far, but I find at times having music on is great, but you often get lost from the music because you are focusing on work.  It just relegates to the background at times.  Are you able to keep a constant ear on the music and really pay attention when listening to all the submissions?  Because I think I would struggle with that.
As I said, not every listen of every submission, no, as obviously I'm also focusing on my work. But I've always been good at multitasking, so unless I completely tune out to 100% focus on work (in which case I listen again), I take a lot in. Plus I make sure I give enough attentive listens to each submission (e.g. across the weekday evenings at the moment, before lockdown I used commuting time) to get to know it well.

Yeah nice.

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

Well, I think I have my EP figured out. Now I just need to figure out something for round 4  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Elite

It's probably nice to able to listen to music while working, but I don't have that option. In fact, I actually rarely actively listen to music, basically only when commuting (which I'm not doing right now). I don't feel the 'need' to put on some music every quiet moment of the day when other people would. Not judging, but that's just how it is I think. What also doesn't help I guess is that most of my free time is spent making music myself, also an activity where I can't listen to other music at the same time :lol
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

ariich

Quote from: TAC on May 20, 2020, 04:13:04 PM
I pretty much stayed on point with weekly rounds. This was my method:

1st listen: Get an all around feel
2nd listen: Start ranking (rough scoring) songs
3rd listen: Scratch out basic writeups
4th listen: Confirm the scores and writeups

The other thing I did was listen right away to whatever I had.

If something was really bad, it didn't necessarily get a 4th listen. Close calls even got an extra chance to compare.
This is very similar to mine. For me it's more like:

1st listen: Get an all around feel and note down first impressions
2nd listen: No task - just immerse myself in it
3rd listen: Rough scoring of songs
4th listen: Confirm the scores and produce write-ups


Quote from: Cyril on May 20, 2020, 04:53:06 PM
hoping for another 8.1
Seems I may have to disappoint you.


Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on May 20, 2020, 10:07:54 PM
Well, I think I have my EP figured out. Now I just need to figure out something for round 4  :lol
Definitely the logical order to do things in. :lol


Quote from: Elite on May 21, 2020, 01:08:54 AM
It's probably nice to able to listen to music while working, but I don't have that option. In fact, I actually rarely actively listen to music, basically only when commuting (which I'm not doing right now). I don't feel the 'need' to put on some music every quiet moment of the day when other people would. Not judging, but that's just how it is I think. What also doesn't help I guess is that most of my free time is spent making music myself, also an activity where I can't listen to other music at the same time :lol
Yeah I know quite a few people who love music but can't have it on in the background, they need to either be focusing on it or not listening at all. We're all wired differently I guess. For me, apart from some specific tasks, I find having music on to really help me focus.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

ariich

Round 3 comparisons
Again these are indicative and subject to change.
Comparisons are with the Round 2 score.
Ordered by Round 2 ranking (just the ranking for that round, not the total score).

LordCost v
jingle v
romdrums v
Elite v
TAC v
Buddy ^
Puppies ^
wolfking v
Indi =
Evermind ^
Cyril ^
Luoto ^
Train v
Tomi v
Katt ^
Lethean ^
lonestar ^
Nekov ^
king ^
Stadler ^
Sacul ^
Shadow ^

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Indiscipline


ariich

Very interesting to see how the scores are shaking out so far. Two people ahead of the pack, and five people a little behind (but not unrecoverably so, I should stress). The remaining pack of 15 people are all within a point of each other.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Buddyhunter1


King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Indiscipline


King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

jingle.boy

With Evermind already in top spot, and improving his score, he's clearly one of the 2 separating.  Me, Train, Rom, other Rich and Timmy Boy all down - and none of us with all that flattering impressions.  I wonder which of us might still be in the top 2.  Though, Katt and Luoto are both up, so it's likely to be one of them.

Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

The Walrus

If you think first place is easy to get, try playing in Rich's roulette. It's a long way to the top if you wanna take control

jingle.boy

Quote from: Kattelox on May 21, 2020, 07:13:19 AM
If you think first place is easy to get, try playing in Rich's roulette. It's a long way to the top if you wanna take control

It's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock and roll)!   :metal
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

ariich

I've added the following clarifications to the comparisons post, will update the round 2 comparisons post as well, and will also include the same explainers in future rounds:

Comparisons are with the Round 2 score.
Ordering is Round 2 ranking (just the ranking for that round, not the total score).


Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

The Walrus

Gnarly. I have a wonderful idea for next round regardless of the score I get this round. :corn

ariich

Quote from: Kattelox on May 21, 2020, 07:58:54 AM
Gnarly. I have a wonderful idea for next round regardless of the score I get this round. :corn
As always I'm excited and terrified in equal measure.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Stadler

Quote from: jingle.boy on May 21, 2020, 07:42:37 AM
Quote from: Kattelox on May 21, 2020, 07:13:19 AM
If you think first place is easy to get, try playing in Rich's roulette. It's a long way to the top if you wanna take control

It's a long way to the top (if you wanna rock and roll)!   :metal

And it ain't no fun waiting round to be a millionaire.    (Get your fucking jumbo jet off my airport!)

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

Quote from: ariich on May 21, 2020, 05:46:27 AM

Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on May 20, 2020, 10:07:54 PM
Well, I think I have my EP figured out. Now I just need to figure out something for round 4  :lol
Definitely the logical order to do things in. :lol

I had an epiphany for the EP  round, so I figured I better work it up before I forget  :lol

Quote from: ariich on May 21, 2020, 05:52:53 AM
Round 3 comparisons
Again these are indicative and subject to change.
Comparisons are with the Round 2 score.
Ordering is Round 2 ranking (just the ranking for that round, not the total score).

Puppies ^

Movin' on up! :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Sacul


ariich

Quote from: Sacul on May 21, 2020, 08:13:39 AM
hell yeah
I mean, I'd have been concerned if you hadn't managed to improve on last round. :P

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Evermind

Nice, looks like it's going great for me so far!
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Crow


Sacul


The Walrus

I'm just waiting for someone else to score under 7 for a change. Not me. I want to stay in the upper ranks.  :lol

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

Whoopsie, thought the EP round max was 40 minutes. Had to cut a song.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

ariich

Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on May 21, 2020, 03:01:13 PM
Whoopsie, thought the EP round max was 40 minutes. Had to cut a song.  :corn
This is why it's important to pay attention. :P

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

Quote from: ariich on May 21, 2020, 03:09:46 PM
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on May 21, 2020, 03:01:13 PM
Whoopsie, thought the EP round max was 40 minutes. Had to cut a song.  :corn
This is why it's important to pay attention. :P
I prefer flying by the seat of my pants  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Quote from: Evermind on May 06, 2024, 07:39:06 AMHey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Quote from: HOF on April 02, 2024, 07:30:16 AMDerek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not KingThes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Crow

As an art experiment, I'm going to ask ariich to put in earbuds and sit perfectly still for 30 minutes imagining he's listening to my EP, and then score appropriately based on that experience.