Poll

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 03:08:19 PM

Author Topic: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!  (Read 186857 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!
« Reply #3570 on: September 09, 2020, 04:06:41 AM »
MyGrain (Luoto - round 3)
These guys clearly have a sound that they stick to and which, while not at all original, they do very well. I checked out the two full lengths that are on Spotify (which you sent me songs from) plus the EP, and they were all great (4 stars x 3). I haven't bothered to source either of their first two albums - I assume they're just more of the same so I probably don't need them. :lol

Pretty fair assessment. I wasn't very into III (the EP), and I'm not impressed by the two songs they've released from their upcoming full-length either. They no longer even have a keyboardist so an essential element of their previous sound is gone.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3571 on: September 09, 2020, 04:11:35 AM »
MyGrain (Luoto - round 3)
These guys clearly have a sound that they stick to and which, while not at all original, they do very well. I checked out the two full lengths that are on Spotify (which you sent me songs from) plus the EP, and they were all great (4 stars x 3). I haven't bothered to source either of their first two albums - I assume they're just more of the same so I probably don't need them. :lol

Pretty fair assessment. I wasn't very into III (the EP), and I'm not impressed by the two songs they've released from their upcoming full-length either. They no longer even have a keyboardist so an essential element of their previous sound is gone.
The only issue with III for me was that it was so short and insubstantial. But I really like the songs still. That's a shame about not having the keyboardist thought as yeah I think the synths add a richness to their sound and stop it feeling too generic. I'll still give the new album a fair shot of course.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3572 on: September 09, 2020, 06:19:41 AM »
Nice! I was sure they would be right up your alley. They have an interesting combination of ethereal, electronic and jazzy vibes. And they are from London, so you should have the opportunity to see them live once things go back to normal
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3573 on: September 13, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
Alrighty let's finish up round 3 plus a bonus post-roulette submission.

Matthew Good (Puppies - round 3)
You sent me songs from both Matthew Good Band and his solo stuff since, and I loved all the songs you sent so unsurprisingly I ended up checking out pretty much everything he's done, going back to 1997's Underdog anyway. Not all of it blows me away - In fact I'd say that every album of his has some filler, but his general style of pretty warm, emotive alt-rock is really nicely done and his best albums have enough fantastic songs to elevate them. The ones that really do it for me are the two you sent me songs from (Audio of Being and Avalanche), Hospital Music (which is incredibly emotional in some ways), and Chaotic Neutral (4 stars x 4). All the rest are still solid enough but not as exciting (3.5 stars x 8).

Architects (Shadow - round 3)
Ok so during the roulette I apparently had completely forgotten that I'd heard one of their older albums - Hollow Crown - and didn't like it. The band's sound has clearly evolved a lot and they've gone from strength to strength. The melodic metalcore they play now really works well for me - just the right balance of intensity, aggression, ambience and melody. My favourite is All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us, but really I love all their last four albums (4 stars x 4 - All Our Gods is pushing a 4.5 and could increase later on, while Daybreaker is only really scraping a 4). I figured I'd give Hollow Crown another shot and... yeah, I still don't like it much, just too one-track and relentlessly angsty (2.5 stars). I also tried out The Here and Now which nobody seems to like but I thought it was quite good, although clearly they hadn't got the hang of the new more melodic style at that stage and it showed (3.5 stars).

Dio (Stadler - round 3)
I was quite excited to check out The Last in Line as the two songs you sent from it were fantastic and interested me in a similar way to his time in Rainbow. Sadly they were comfortably the two best songs on the album - there are couple of other very enjoyable ones (I Speed at Night and One Night in the City) but everything else is much what I expected based on what I've heard from his solo band before (3.5 stars).

Aephanemer (TAC - round 3)
I'm enjoying this band even more than I did when you sent them. I do wonder if sending that instrumental version of Crows broke the flow a bit. Either way, their second (latest) album is really excellent melodic death metal with hints of folk metal in there - they have a great sound and while not wholly unique they execute so damn well (4 stars). Their first album isn't as exciting, but it's still great and also just about scrapes the 4 star mark thanks to its consistent quality and a couple of standout tracks (also 4 stars).

Birth Control (Tomi - round 3)
Ok so my feeling towards the Operation album is basically identical to my review of the selection you sent from it. I did wonder if hearing the full album would nudge my rating up over the 4 star/8.0 line, but it remains just the tiniest bit below (3.5 stars).

Vanishing Point (wolfking - round 3)
Ok look, I appreciate that you wanted to send me stuff from various albums of theirs, but I don't think that helped your score really (not that it was bad, just that it was a bit average). From what I've heard, the band's more recent albums are right up my alley while the older ones, while fine, don't grab me in the same way. Distant is the Sun is amazing, it's another album in that Evergrey/Borealis brand of emotional prog-power metal with huge, immersive hooks. The time taken for me to check them out also means their new album is out, and that's perhaps not quite as special but still really great, so both excellent albums (4 stars x 2). The two albums prior are fine, solid stuff in the same general style but not as gripping and perhaps a little generic-feeling to me (3.5 stars x 2).

Incognito (Katt - post-roulette)
You finally sent me Incognito! It's hard to compare to the roulette itself as you sent me a 40-minute selection instead of 20-minute, but my feeling is that you probably made a good call to send me other stuff. Don't get me wrong I like this plenty, it's nice smooth funky stuff in a similar vein to Stevie Wonder, whose best albums I love, but I'm not sure this excites me quite so much. Even the Stevie Wonder cover, while cool, isn't as cool as the original. For this selection, I'd probably give it a 7.8/10, though just the best 20 minutes would probably have made it over the 8.0 mark.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3574 on: September 15, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
Yeah, I think we're mostly in the same boat on Architects. While they've got some good songs pre-Lost Together/Lost Forever (These Colours Don't Run, etc.), for me that's really where their sound begins.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3575 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »
 :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3576 on: September 21, 2020, 02:54:50 AM »
Been able to pick up the pace a bit as a number of the round 4 artists I wanted to explore only have an album or two (or they have more but I decided to stop after an album or two).

Ghost (Buddy - round 4)
Great shout sending these guys after I'd rated their first two albums not that high. I particularly love the poppy infusions in Prequelle, but you're right that Meliora is also basically a better version of the style from their second album. I also now realise that the bonus disc from the deluxe version of Meliora was the Popestar EP, and it works better for me to separate them out. Really digging all three of these releases anyway (4 stars x 3).

Tripsitter (Cyril - round 4)
I ended up finding the songs you sent pretty compelling, but your selection was two of the more melodic songs plus Of Flowers which is very unique and emotional. This album as a whole is a bit more of a slog. The qualities are there still and it's good but a lot of it just isn't grabbing me and it's exhausting to listen through (3.5 stars).

Kamasi Washington (Elite - round 4)
Ok so first thing's first, there's a lot of really great jazz on The Epic. There are lots of 20-minute selections I could take that would probably score an 8.0 or higher, particularly some of the grander ones. But this style of smooth post-bop is something that doesn't tend to massively excite me, and 3-hours of it is way too long for a single album (I see he's also done a 2.5 hour album too) and I end up getting bored (3.5 stars). I did give his Harmony of Difference "EP" a listen as well and it was a bit tighter, but also lacked the grander moments to distinguish it (also 3.5 stars).

Julien Baker (Evermind - round 4)
Turn Out the Lights is pretty much what I expected - the songs are lovely and she has a gorgeous voice, and I like how it's very delicate for the most part but then she breaks out these big emotional moments too. Excellent album (4 stars). Her debut is very nice too, but seems to have less of the big emotional moments and so it doesn't quite grab me in the same way (3.5 stars).

Chris Squire (Indi - round 4)
I figured I'd give the full album a listen to see what it was like, but yeah it's what I expected really - a good example of the Yes style of prog but it's not a style that generally excites me that much (3.5 stars).

Dimension Act (jingle - round 4)
So I'd basically heard most of this album already, and yeah thankfully the 30 minute epic is strong enough to still make this a pretty great album (4 stars). It was kind of close though, the first three songs are definitely not as strong.

Arctic Monkeys (Katt - round 4)
Sending songs from AM was a great shout, I liked the songs you sent and I like the whole album for the same reason - just really nice, groovy pop rock and the only thing I've heard from them where his vocals actually work well (4 stars). I tried their latest too and while I loved the idea of being a bit more quirky, the songwriting and hooks are just a bit bland (3.5 stars). I think these guys might just be a one-hit wonder for me, but that's ok.

Solefald (Lethean - round 4)
This is one inconsistent band. :lol Thankfully the album you sent songs from, Norrøn livskunst, is amazing (4.5 stars). It's pretty mad (and indeed some of the songs you didn't send are more bonkers than those you did) but also very harmonically rich, and it makes for an exciting listen although it took me a few listens to fully embrace. The other one I really like, which I wasn't too sure about at first, is their latest - World Metal. Kosmopolis Sud. It's not as exciting but it still has enough musical richness to hit my tastes nicely (4 stars). By contrast, the EP that came before it (Kosmopolis Nord) is much weaker with only the short folksy instrumental track doing it for me at all (3 stars). I also went back through the four previous albums (back as far as Pills Against the Ageless Ills) and all those albums are good still, but not as melodically and harmonically interesting as their newest stuff (3.5 stars x 4).

Mad Lollypop (LordCost - round 4)
Just the one album from these guys and it's great. One thing that hadn't been evident from two songs you sent was how much of a Pendulum vibe they have, which is right up my alley. The melodic hooks aren't as strong as Pendulum, but the general sound is cool plus there's a more experimental approach which is enjoyable. All round strong album (4 stars).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3577 on: September 21, 2020, 03:09:37 AM »
there is a reason i picked specifically the songs i picked

tho i like the album as a whole a lot, tbh, it's a very full experience tho the songs i picked are definitely the highlights (and, uhh, almost half the album by themselves so  :lol)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3578 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:37 AM »
I would agree with your assessment of Dimension Act. I wouldn’t call the first three tracks filler, but when Drawing the Lines is as epic as it is, it’s a tough act to precede.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: September 21, 2020, 05:32:15 AM »
Distant is the Sun is indeed a wonderful album.  Embrace the Silence is my fav but can see people preferring Sun.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3580 on: September 21, 2020, 07:02:03 AM »
Cool! I must say I never listen to The Epic all at once (primarily because I never have that much time in one go to listen to music), but I can imagine that would get exhaustive. I treat every CD as a seperate album really. I'm particularly fond of the first and third album, but the second contains great stuff as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3581 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:05 AM »
I was going to dive right into that Kamasai Washington album until I saw just how beefy the record is. That's like, a whole Saturday afternoon type of thing for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3582 on: September 21, 2020, 07:23:45 AM »
Damn, three for three on modern Ghost :metal

I also like that Mad Lollypop album (14 monthly listeners, wooooo) though I wish the vocals were better and a few songs are complete bombs for me, particularly Game Over and the acoustic numbers. I'm hoping they make another album at some point!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3583 on: September 21, 2020, 07:48:28 AM »
I was going to dive right into that Kamasai Washington album until I saw just how beefy the record is. That's like, a whole Saturday afternoon type of thing for me.

Listen to it in three sessions :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3584 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:23 AM »
Cool! I must say I never listen to The Epic all at once (primarily because I never have that much time in one go to listen to music), but I can imagine that would get exhaustive. I treat every CD as a seperate album really. I'm particularly fond of the first and third album, but the second contains great stuff as well.
Yeah I have to say, even though as an album I rate it slightly lower because it's just too much, I may decide to buy it anyway and treat it as three separate things like you do. I can see myself liking it/them a lot more in that context.

I also like that Mad Lollypop album (14 monthly listeners, wooooo) though I wish the vocals were better and a few songs are complete bombs for me, particularly Game Over and the acoustic numbers. I'm hoping they make another album at some point!
Yeah the vocals aren't great but they work well enough.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3585 on: September 21, 2020, 11:17:57 AM »
The Epic has some amazing songs and lots of bland ones imo. I feel there's a brilliant 1-hour album buried in those 3 hours of mostly ok jazz.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #3586 on: September 23, 2020, 11:38:03 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=hF13sXEBsU0

New Mad Lollypop song, just when you were talking about it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3587 on: September 30, 2020, 03:58:32 PM »
Another bumper update to get through the rest of the round 4 artists! That's technically halfway through the rounds now although the EP round obviously had a shitload more artists.

Nicumo (Luoto - round 4)
Yep my feeling towards their two latest albums is pretty much exactly the same as it was for the songs you sent me from them. Not especially unique but strong, moody metal. I wasn't wholly sold on Inertia on the first listen but it grew on me quite a lot, so I find both albums pretty great (4 stars x 2). Their first album was alright as well but feels less engaging to me (3.5 stars).

Moron Police (Nekov - round 4)
What a strange band! :lol Seems they started out as very much a comedy metal band and one that employed fairly offensive humour at that. Their first album is quite entertaining but that not that great (3.5 stars), but Defenders of the Small Yard is a big improvement and highly entertaining (4 stars). The big surprise though is the latest album, A Boat on the Sea, which seems to have a light-hearted humorous side still but me much more straight up prog rock in a lot of ways, and has a really nice, emotive vibe to it and honestly it's just fantastic, really immersive stuff (4.5 stars). I hadn't quite twigged there was such a difference just from the songs you sent.

Kardashev (Puppies - round 4)
I wasn't wrong about this being some bloody heavy stuff a lot of the time, but damn if it isn't really epic and at times hypnotic as well. Based on the songs you sent me, I wasn't wholly surprised to find The Almanac easily my favourite and pretty amazing (4.5 stars). But The Baring of Shadows, Peripety and even Excipio are really strong too (4 stars x 3). Even their first EP, Progression, is good, just not as powerful or gripping (3.5 stars).

Unprocessed (romdrums - round 4)
While I liked the songs you sent me, they scored fairly average for my roulette (8.1) but honestly that album Artificial Void is even better as a whole, probably in the high 8s. I appreciate it was hard for you to capture the various styles and influences the album includes but it's really cool and exciting (4 stars). The album before, Covenant, I was less sure about at first but after a couple of listens actually it has a lot of excellent stuff too for many of the same reasons (also 4 stars). Everything before that (the debut and their EP) is really a massive step down though, just not very interesting (3 stars x 2).

Blue Sky Black Death (Sacul - round 4)
It was a great call to send me tracks from Late Night Cinema, as that's a really great album for all the reasons I liked your submission (4 stars). I also checked out the other three main albums they've done and none quite stack up. The debut, A Heap of Broken Images, has some really good moments but it's completely all over the place and really inconsistent (3 stars). Glaciers and Noir are both a lot stronger but just have something a little lacking (3.5 stars x 2). I haven't bothered with any of their mix releases or collaborations, but if there are any you really think I should check out, do let me know.

Imagine Dragons (Shadow - round 4)
You weren't wrong about these guys. The debut really is a very strong electro(ish)pop album with some rock influences - I like the warm sound and crucially it has so many great hooks. I don't know if the hate they get is because they get classified as a rock band when they clearly aren't one. Anyway, great album (4 stars). But man the drop off in quality is so quick. Smoke + Mirrors is... ok I guess, the style is nice and there's some cool quirky new ideas in it, but all the vocal melodies just disappeared (3 stars). I checked out the first few tracks of Evolve and felt the same way, so I think this is probably a one-hit wonder band for me.

Jethro Tull (Stadler - round 4)
My favourites from your submission were from the extended, remastered The Broadsword and the Beast so I figured I'd check that album out and, eh, yeah it's good but much like what I've heard from Tull in the past, it's just not that exciting and the best songs (like the ones you sent) were bonus tracks not even on the original album (3.5 stars). But it got me thinking that I should seek out a compilation of their more folk/acoustic side, and lo and behold I found The Best of Acoustic Jethro Tull. I think you were onto something with your submission, as this is the side of their music that really works for me, and while this compilation isn't perfect, it's a really pleasant and enjoyable listen with a whole bunch of really cracking songs throughout (4 stars).

Marsyas (TAC - round 4)
These guys didn't score that high but I was interested enough to want to check the album out anyway just to see what it was like. Overall, my opinion is much the same really, it's solid but it doesn't blow me away (3.5 stars). However I did think the the first and last tracks were the strongest and much more up my alley, and I do think you'd have scored better if you'd sent me those!

Soen (Tomi - round 4)
Ah I'm so glad you sent me these guys even though I'd rated their first two albums only 3.5 stars. Turns out I'd given up on them just before they got really great. Lykaia is excellent (4 stars) and Lotus is even better (4.5 stars), just so richly harmonic and sad and gorgeous prog metal.

Federation of the Disco Pimp (Train - round 4)
Yeah so Inamorata is indeed an excellent album, for all the reasons I liked the songs you sent from it. Really groovy, funky, enjoyable music  - if anything I think I'm enjoying it even more as a full album than a small selection because I can really get into the vibe of it (4 stars). I imagine these guys being a fantastic live act. I also checked out the earlier album that was on Spotify, More Than Dancing, and it's solid too - pretty much just as groovy, but not nearly as catchy (3.5 stars).

Mors Principium Est (wolfking - round 4)
Yes yes yes, these guys are definitely deserving of having won this round for you. Everything they've done since Andy Gillion joined as main songwriter has just been fantastic and hits all the right notes for me. One thing I hadn't twigged from the selection you sent is that, even though they're Finnish and are now led by a Brit, they really take a lot of their sound from early Gothenburg metal, especially Colony/Clayman era In Flames, but with modern production and more variety of sounds. And it works just so well and is so epic and cathartic. Death Said and 5th Era are both superb (4.5 stars x 2), Embers feels slightly less exciting so far (4 stars) but could well grow on me more and creep up to be another 4.5 over time. As for their pre-Gillion days, they sound quite different to me. I checked out The Unborn as that seems to be their most popular album, and it's good still but just not nearly as exciting and lacks the sonic and musical richness that they have now (3.5 stars).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3588 on: September 30, 2020, 09:24:55 PM »
Kardashev is so good even Kattelox loves them  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3589 on: October 22, 2020, 04:31:41 AM »
I very much haven't forgotten about this thread, I just haven't had the time and headspace to get my thoughts down on paper. However, I have continued to focus most of my music listening on working through all the artists I want to check out, and so as a result it means I've now gone through all such artists from round 5, so you're getting a super-bumper update this time.

Dir En Grey (Buddy - round 5)
Not that it mattered in the end for my glorious champion, but I think different song choices would have avoided your only sub-8 score of the roulette. That said, I've given both Uroboros and Arche a few good listens and my overall feeling towards them is pretty much the same as it was towards the songs you sent - on the cusp of being great but just not quite working for me (3.5 stars x 2). Uroboros is definitely the more dynamic and exciting of the two and it contains a few genuinely excellent songs in the second half where the melodies and emotional vocal delivery just work, such that I now understand why you sent them to me - I'm thinking in particular Ware, Yami Tote..., Bugaboo and Gaika. But I also find parts of the album quite meh and the rest merely good, and therefore difficult to really immerse myself in it as a whole.

Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng & Linnea Olsson (Cyril - round 5)
During round 5 you said that rather than get me to buy an album, you wanted to get me to buy a game. Well congrats, you did both! I really really dig the full Sayonara Wild Hearts album, the instrumental stuff that comes after the songs you sent is still really great electronica/electropop, and there some vocal moments that still help pace the album a little, plus the medley at the end acts as a nice closer. Not every track is killer but overall it's a gorgeous album (4 stars). So I decided to buy the game + soundtrack option, and the game is pretty great too. It's fairly short and simple, but it's fun, the music I already knew was excellent and the various levels added further character to most of them, plus there's a nice emotional element to the narrative even though there isn't a proper story as such. All in all a very nice game (also 4 stars).

Messa (Elite - round 5)
Ok so not that you scored badly with these guys, but I think both in terms of production and music, you would have been better focusing entirely on Feast for Water. Belfry is a solid enough album but I do find it slightly bland and lacking in punch (3.5 stars). But fair enough, it was their debut, and Feast for Water is such a big step up - it's more musically dynamic, and it's also richer in sound and I now agree entirely that the production style works great on this album (4 stars). Tulsi is still a standout but honestly the whole album is great.

Voices from the Fuselage (Evermind - round 5)
Apparently I didn't twig at all at the time that this is Ashe O'Hara's band. I do like his voice and the way he writes vocal lines - it's one of the things that made Tesseract's Altered State so special. These two albums aren't as exciting as that one was to me, but are still really good and probably comparable in quality with what Tesseract have done since but with a slightly different approach and different strengths - not as punchy or groovy, but lighter, airier and more melodically engaging (4 stars x 2).

Gino Vannelli (Indi - round 5)
I've ended up with pretty mixed feelings about Gino's music. As you'll remember I found the selection you sent me both very enjoyable in a cheesy 70s/80s kind of way and surprisingly quirky and intricate as well. So I decided to check out all three albums you sent me songs from. And yeah that description definitely still fits, and each album has some really cool and/or entertaining moments. But I don't know, after a while the general style wore a bit thin for me. Most of his songs don't have much in the way of strong hooks (to me anyway), instead focusing more on a jazzy approach, but the jazzy approach is a little tame as well, and as a result it doesn't quite grab me as much as I'd like. That all sounds a bit negative so I should be clear that I still enjoy all three albums plenty, just less that I'd hoped for (3.5 stars x 3).

M.I.GOD (jingle - round 5)
For Specters on Parade, I don't have much to say beyond what I said for selection you sent me from it. It's very strong prog metal with a futuristic vibe, plus alt-metal influences I hadn't really picked up from your submission, that give it enough of a unique flavour (4 stars). I also checked out the album before which is a bit older now (Floor 29, from 2012) and... yeah it was pretty good and had some solid tunes, but definitely leans more on the generic side and is a lot less interesting as a result (3.5 stars).

Frédéric Chopin (Katt - round 5)
I obviously already knew some Chopin, but your focus on his piano works prompted me to properly dive into those (rather than trying to listen to everything he ever wrote!). So I stuck with Barenboim who I really like as a pianist and went for both his complete Preludes and his complete Nocturnes, and both are fantastic. Not every piece is great, in fact some are fairly boring or in the case of a handful of the Preludes just really short and pointless. But in both cases most are really good and some are just really beautiful that they work great as overall collections (4 stars x 2).

Freaky Jelly (king - round 5)
Your submission was a little touch and go on whether it would get above the 8.0 line and ended just scraping over because ultimately the songs you'd sent were a fun attempt at capturing 90s DT (complete with over-the-top high-vibrato singing that isn't really my favourite). On the whole I'd say the same about the album they came from, but while I enjoyed it quite a bit when it was just a couple of songs, a full 70 minute album of it is just a lot less interesting I'm afraid (3.5 stars).

Deadly Circus Fire (lonestar - round 5)
I liked your submission a lot, but I did note at the time that I wondered if I might find a full album a bit one-track, and yeah I think there's where I come down on it really. The King and the Bishop is still a very solid album and has a few (head-bangers), but it's a bit lacking in both variety and originality. And I'm not sure it really has the hooks, either in the riff or vocal melody department, to compensate (3.5 stars).

Bend Sinister (Nekov - round 5)
I guess one of the downsides of the format I used is that it's not always easy to get across the variety of sounds that some bands have in small submissions like that. These guys are just really cool, I guess the core underlying style is 00s indie rock, but there's so many other things thrown into the mix (pop, soul, Queen, Muse) in a way that's entertaining and yet seamless. You sent me songs from their latest three albums, and in slightly different ways and for different reasons I think they're all really great (4 stars x 3). I also figured I'd check out their first two full albums as well but they're not as good - it seems clear to me that they were still finding their style (3 stars for the debut and 3.5 stars for Stories of Brothers).

The Intersphere (romdrums - round 5)
My overall feelings about these guys are much as they were in my review of the songs you sent. What I maybe hadn't appreciated at that point was the slightly poppier, more accessible alt-rock side of their music as your selection was more focused on the energetic post-hardcore influenced stuff I think. But either way, their latest two albums are great for exactly the reasons I liked your submission (4 stars x 2). Hold on Liberty and interspheres><atmospheres both have some great stuff in them as well, but they're both a lot less consistent than the newer albums (3.5 stars).

Saltillo (Sacul - round 5)
Damn, this guy is talented. Ganglion is a fantastic album, I love how the downtempo style is mixed with the string instruments (all played by him) to create an interesting blend of electronic with hints of classical - it's a great sound that he pulls off really well and I find the whole album just a really immersive listen (4 stars). For Monocyte he clearly went for something darker and more experimental, and I appreciate the variety there although ultimately I don't find it speaks to me in the same way (3.5 stars).

Cloud Cult (Shadow - round 5)
You were absolutely spot on sending my that selection from the live acoustic show. Those acoustic shows they did around 2013 were really something special. I figured I'd start with the full video that you sent me a selection from, and it's just amazing - just has so much warmth and energy and heart, and you can really feel just how into it they all are. The live album they recorded later in the year, Unplug, is similarly amazing overall (4.5 stars, which is also what the Arts in Nature show would score) - it benefits from being slightly more polished and the backing vocals being more audible, but perhaps doesn't have quite the same raw emotion of the other show (it also doesn't have that incredible arrangement/performance of Good Friend). As for the studio albums, they're good but yeah none of them quite compare. The latest four I find all strong in different ways (4 stars x 4), and I appreciate the varied sounds and styles they use, often being a bit darker than in those acoustic shows. I checked out some of the earlier material and it's less my cup of tea, they feel slightly more generic indie really (3.5 stars for Meaning of 8, 3 stars for Happy Hippopotamus).

The Panic Channel (Stadler - round 5)
Just the one album for these guys, and yeah basically my opinion is exactly the same as it was for the songs you sent me. It seems these guys weren't really very popular but I don't really understand why, I really do find the music much more punchy and interesting than Jane's Addiction, and the vocals (both in performance and composition more engaging). Maybe it was JA/Farrell diehard fans unhappy with a different approach, but whatever, this is a really cool alt-rock album with lots of great hooks (4 stars).

Netherbird (TAC - round 5)
You sent me songs from their latest album, Into the Vast Uncharted, so that was my obvious starting point. And yep, it's as excellent overall as the selection of songs you sent me, for all the same reasons - dark, heavy, eerie and very melodic (4 stars). The previous album, The Grander Voyage, is maybe not quite as great as it hasn't have such high points as the latest album, but it's still very strong thanks to it also having a very melodic approach (also 4 stars). I continued to go back a bit more through their discography, but both the previous albums (Ferocious Tides of Fate and Monument Black Colossal) are just not as melodically interesting and don't really make up for it in other ways (3.5 stars x 2).

Stoned Jesus (Tomi - round 5)
Ok so first thing's first, I'm The Mountain is still a fantastic song and if anything I think I like it even more now in the context of the album. It's moody, hypnotic and kind of groovy in a way. Unfortunately the rest of Seven Thunders Roar just isn't grabbing me in the same way. Not that it's bad, I just find it slightly dull, and so despite the highlight of the big epic, it's hard to really get into the album as a whole (3.5 stars).

A.A. Williams (Train - round 5)
So yeah this music is amazing. Everything I said about your submission remains the case for the rest of her music, although actually she also pushes into some heavier moments at times which keep things dynamic and varied. But the melancholy intensity is always there whether the instrumentation is heavy or not, and it's gorgeous. Her self-titled EP is lovely, pretty much exactly what I expected from the songs you sent (4 stars). The mini EP she did with Mono was actually slightly disappointing - Exit in Darkness is a really nice song, but Winter Light just really drags and is pretty much aligned with my previous experience with Mono really. So overall the EP is good but not great (3.5 stars). But then her first full-length takes what made her EP great and expands on it and it's just amazing (4.5 stars).

Norther (wolfking - round 5)
Now that I've explored their discography, I can see even more just how much they were influenced by Bodom (almost in ripoff territory at the start). The two albums you sent songs from are among their strongest, especially Death Unlimited which I think is their best overall, but Till Death Unites Us is also really strong (4 stars x 2). I like the fact that by this point they had incorporated some clean vocals into their sound as I think it works well. Their first two albums are good still, but not quite as interesting and do sound just slightly like knock-off Bodom (3.5 stars x 2). And then their last two albums seem to be pretty unpopular on the whole, and I can sort of understand that with N which feels like a less good version of the two albums before it (3.5 stars). But I was surprised at how much I like Circle Regenerated - going more full-on with melodic, anthemic choruses just works well for my tastes (thankfully the hooks are good), and the infusion of power metal and proggy elements similarly expands on the sound in a way that I find very enjoyable (4 stars). Shame they called it quits after that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:56:49 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3590 on: October 22, 2020, 05:13:46 AM »
Messa (Elite - round 5)
Ok so not that you scored badly with these guys, but I think both in terms of production and music, you would have been better focusing entirely on Feast for Water. Belfry is a solid enough album but I do find it slightly bland and lacking in punch (3.5 stars). But fair enough, it was their debut, and Feast for Water is such a big step up - it's more musically dynamic, and it's also richer in sound and I now agree entirely that the production style works great on this album (4 stars). Tulsi is still a standout but honestly the whole album is great.

Oh man, I love that record (Feast for Water) and definitely agree that it's a lot better than the debut. I just sent different tracks (can't really remember, did I at least send Tulsi and Hour of the Wolf?) to match the 20-minute limit and if I remember correctly this wasn't possible with three songs from just Feast for Water, so that gave me the chance to insert something from their debut, which is good too. Glad you enjoyed it at least! :)
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3591 on: October 22, 2020, 06:30:25 AM »
Can't disagree with you at all re: M.I.GOD.  I tried their older albums, and wasn't impressed at all.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: October 22, 2020, 06:49:07 AM »
The preludes are anything but pointless, but I see why you would say that upon listening to them. Chopin's nocturnes are for the most part my favorite classical piano pieces so I'm happy you checked them out. So much beauty and harmonic depth to Chopin's music.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3593 on: October 22, 2020, 06:57:28 AM »
The preludes are anything but pointless, but I see why you would say that upon listening to them. Chopin's nocturnes are for the most part my favorite classical piano pieces so I'm happy you checked them out. So much beauty and harmonic depth to Chopin's music.
I certainly wasn't saying that all the Preludes are short and pointless - I edited my wording to make that much clearer - I was just referring to some of the super-short ones that only like half a minute long.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3594 on: October 22, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
I certainly wasn't saying that all the Preludes are short and pointless - I edited my wording to make that much clearer - I was just referring to some of the super-short ones that only like half a minute long.

It's an interesting criticism that was even leveled at Chopin back when he wrote these. I don't agree with it personally, but I get it. Each prelude was intended to invoke a certain emotion or imagery, and sometimes you don't need several minutes of music to communicate a clear musical idea imo, but sometimes 30 seconds leaves some people wanting more, I suppose. He wrote 24 to cover each key and if you look you can see he shifts to the parallel minor before moving through the circle of fifths (C major, A minor, G major, E minor, etc.), inspired by Bach, and wrote most of them on an island called Majorca with his lover through the winter of I think 1838-39. IIRC Chopin was pretty sickly and frail himself, which I think comes through in some of the preludes.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3595 on: October 22, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »

My overall feelings about these guys are much as they were in my review of the songs you sent. What I maybe hadn't appreciated at that point was the slightly poppier, more accessible alt-rock side of their music as your selection was more focused on the energetic post-hardcore influenced stuff I think. But either way, their latest two albums are great for exactly the reasons I liked your submission (4 stars x 2). Hold on Liberty and interspheres><atmospheres both have some great stuff in them as well, but they're both a lot less consistent than the newer albums (3.5 stars).

There's a lot to like about these guys, and I think you found it.  I would argue that the second album isn't as good as the other three, and you're right, I listen to the last two more than the first two overall as well.  Relations is probably my favorite.  Glad you dug them!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3596 on: October 22, 2020, 07:45:14 AM »
Uroboros is definitely the more dynamic and exciting of the two and it contains a few genuinely excellent songs in the second half where the melodies and emotional vocal delivery just work, such that I now understand why you sent them to me - I'm thinking in particular Ware, Yami Tote..., Bugaboo and Gaika.

Interesting. :lol I do like Bugaboo and Ware, Yami Tote... but I wouldn't rank them at the top of in terms of quality. And Gaika I honestly struggle to remember how it goes beyond the intro - I find it to be one of the least memorable songs on the album!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3597 on: October 22, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »

It's an interesting criticism that was even leveled at Chopin back when he wrote these. I don't agree with it personally, but I get it. Each prelude was intended to invoke a certain emotion or imagery, and sometimes you don't need several minutes of music to communicate a clear musical idea imo, but sometimes 30 seconds leaves some people wanting more, I suppose. He wrote 24 to cover each key and if you look you can see he shifts to the parallel minor before moving through the circle of fifths (C major, A minor, G major, E minor, etc.), inspired by Bach, and wrote most of them on an island called Majorca with his lover through the winter of I think 1838-39. IIRC Chopin was pretty sickly and frail himself, which I think comes through in some of the preludes.
Yeah absolutely, I don't disagree with any of that. Indeed, having purchased the complete preludes album, I've kept the full 24 Preludes as a work as I like how they all sit together as a whole even though some of the shorter ones don't do anything for me on their own. Whereas a couple of other other pieces towards the end that I find less interesting I haven't bothered with.

There's a lot to like about these guys, and I think you found it.  I would argue that the second album isn't as good as the other three, and you're right, I listen to the last two more than the first two overall as well.  Relations is probably my favorite.  Glad you dug them!
Yeah I think Relations is my favourite too. Also that title track is ridiculously catchy.

Uroboros is definitely the more dynamic and exciting of the two and it contains a few genuinely excellent songs in the second half where the melodies and emotional vocal delivery just work, such that I now understand why you sent them to me - I'm thinking in particular Ware, Yami Tote..., Bugaboo and Gaika.

Interesting. :lol I do like Bugaboo and Ware, Yami Tote... but I wouldn't rank them at the top of in terms of quality. And Gaika I honestly struggle to remember how it goes beyond the intro - I find it to be one of the least memorable songs on the album!
Tastes! As I said, thankfully it didn't matter in the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3598 on: October 22, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Hell yeah, Ganglion is excellent indeed :metal. Monocyte is interesting as it's also the soundtrack to this very dark and edgy comic he wrote of the same name (which I haven't read yet lol). He's hinted at releasing new Saltillo stuff in the past but hasn't for some reason.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3599 on: October 22, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
That is more than a fair assessment of the band. As you said, what makes them great is that they are able to mix different styles while always putting out fun music. I also have to agree that their latest 3 albums are significantly better than the first two. It is great that you wrote this now because I realized they've put out an EP. A win for you, a win for me  :D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3600 on: October 22, 2020, 12:54:33 PM »
Fair. I really like Voices from the Fuselage while I'm fairly ambivalent about TesseracT. I'm gonna spin Voices tomorrow I guess.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3601 on: October 22, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »
ariich's v6 roulette is also DTF's inaugural game roulette now  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3602 on: October 22, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
Monocyte is interesting as it's also the soundtrack to this very dark and edgy comic he wrote of the same name (which I haven't read yet lol).
That doesn't surprising me, it's pretty dark and cinematic. It's cool, I just don't find it as interesting on its own but maybe that's partly because it should really be experienced with the comic.

That is more than a fair assessment of the band. As you said, what makes them great is that they are able to mix different styles while always putting out fun music. I also have to agree that their latest 3 albums are significantly better than the first two. It is great that you wrote this now because I realized they've put out an EP. A win for you, a win for me  :D
Ooooooh nice, I hadn't spotted that. I'll check it out.

Fair. I really like Voices from the Fuselage while I'm fairly ambivalent about TesseracT. I'm gonna spin Voices tomorrow I guess.
I can understand that, Tesseract can be a bit overly techy whereas Voices are more melodically interesting. Overall I think I probably like both about equally (notwithstanding still being a new Voices fan) with the exception being Altered State which has all the things I like about both bands all wrapped up in one album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3603 on: October 22, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
ariich's v6 roulette is also DTF's inaugural game roulette now  :lol
This thread is never going to end. :lol

My intention once I've finished working my way through all the artists from this roulette (I've done 5 rounds' worth in 3.5 months, so I'd guess at it taking another 2-3 months to finish) is to do a new thread covering the bands or albums from each of my past roulettes that have stuck with me most. It definitely won't be as comprehensive as this one (and I won't need to do lots of new listening for it) but it'll cover 5 roulettes so it'll still be reasonably significant.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3604 on: October 22, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »
Ooooooh nice, I hadn't spotted that. I'll check it out.

Well, I just listened to it and it is a bit shit to be honest  :lol The last 2 songs are pretty good, the rest is forgettable.