ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!

Started by ariich, May 01, 2020, 03:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the max number of artists in the EP round be increased from 4 to 5?

Yes that would be much better and Cyril is very attractive.
3 (14.3%)
No that's a terrible idea, Cyril should be stoned.
5 (23.8%)
Whatever.
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: June 08, 2020, 03:08:19 PM

ariich

Quote from: Elite on May 07, 2020, 03:44:17 PM
Quote from: ariich on May 07, 2020, 03:37:38 PM
Quote from: Elite on May 07, 2020, 03:32:09 PM
8 or 12 for Blindead, maaaaybe 17 if you really enjoy it a lot.
Yes.

Okay!
Want to guess which or just wait for me to reveal them (probably tomorrow)?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 06:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 07:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Evermind

I decided to send more obscure stuff in this roulette instead of sticking to the artists that are popular here. That's subject to change as the roulette progresses, but so far I'm going to send stuff from folks barely known on DTF.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 11:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Nekov

Crow

Quote from: Evermind on May 07, 2020, 03:57:08 PM
I decided to send more obscure stuff in this roulette instead of sticking to the artists that are popular here. That's subject to change as the roulette progresses, but so far I'm going to send stuff from folks barely known on DTF.
hey, i knew this one! :P

Evermind

Quote from: Cyril on May 07, 2020, 03:59:51 PM
Quote from: Evermind on May 07, 2020, 03:57:08 PM
hey, i knew this one! :P

Yeah no shit :P
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 11:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Crow

ariich

Quote from: Nekov on May 07, 2020, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: ariich on May 07, 2020, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: Nekov on May 07, 2020, 02:53:09 PM
I think I can narrow mine to 13, 14 or 15
It is indeed one of those.

Hopefully 15
Not 15, but all three of those are probably going to end up getting similar scores anyway. Take that however you like. :lol

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 06:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

jingle.boy

Quote from: ariich on May 07, 2020, 03:54:27 PM
Quote from: jingle.boy on May 07, 2020, 03:46:33 PM
Quote from: wolfking on May 07, 2020, 01:56:29 PM
I must be pretty out of touch, from the list, I've only heard of 5 bands including my own.

I'm at 7, but I've only ever listened to three - mine, yours and Riverside.  Well, I did listen to Monica whats-her-tits because curiosity after Katt getting heaved over the top rope because of her.  I've (regrettably) listened to Nick Cave twice now.  Sweet I know, but not these tunes.  VdG... never heard a lick of them, but familiar enough with the name.
I see discovering music you don't know as a large part of the point of roulettes. I'd only heard of 10 out of the 22 before this round.

I do that to some extent, but if I wanted to sample that much music, I'd *host* a 5th roulette of my own.  :biggrin:
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 07:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 10:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 06:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Elite

ariich

Quote from: jingle.boy on May 07, 2020, 04:13:18 PM
Quote from: ariich on May 07, 2020, 03:54:27 PM
I see discovering music you don't know as a large part of the point of roulettes. I'd only heard of 10 out of the 22 before this round.

I do that to some extent, but if I wanted to sample that much music, I'd *host* a 5th roulette of my own.  :biggrin:
Oh yeah absolutely, I definitely meant primarily for the host. :lol

Quote from: Elite on May 07, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
8 would be my first guess!
Yes sir!

LordCost

Quote from: ariich on May 07, 2020, 09:56:19 AM
Quote from: Indiscipline on May 07, 2020, 09:48:45 AM
Van der Graaf is LordCost
Indeed (he gave it away earlier in the thread).
I got the 'Area' joke earlier in the thread, I did not find time today to guess the Italian song names in the hangman too, it went too fast.

Mine I hope is among 9, 10 or 13,even if almost all the options are positive..

ariich

Quote from: LordCost on May 07, 2020, 04:23:29 PM
I got the 'Area' joke earlier in the thread, I did not find time today to guess the Italian song names in the hangman too, it went too fast.
I did consider leaving those for you, but people had pretty much stopped guessing song names by that point so I thought I'd do the lot. :lol

And no, yours is not any of those three.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

ariich

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Buddyhunter1

Reveal all properly-matched impressions before results? :corn

ariich

Buddyhunter1

King Postwhore

The Walrus

Quote from: ariich on May 06, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
Round 1 first impressions

1. My ears! [Puppies]
2. My brain! [Indiscipline]
3. My heart! [Sacul]
4. I feel dirty.
5. This is rather lovely.
6. Bonkers and very entertaining.
7. Very pleasant background music.
8. Dark, dense, moody and pretty engaging.
9. Very epic, and varied but also consistent in mood.
10. Intense and a lot to take in, but pretty engrossing as well.
11. There's a lot to take in on first listen, but what a great sound.
12. Some very engaging and innovative stuff, if a little all over the place.
13. This isn't a genre I often find that exciting, but when it works, it works.
14. A solid example of the genre, if perhaps not particularly a standout one.
15. This is exactly what I expected it to sound like... and that's no bad thing.
16. Some lovely moments, but also others than sounded a little run of the mill.
17. Dark, dynamic and quite beautiful – early contender for favourite of the round.
18. This has a lovely warmth to it, and I liked this more than I might have expected.
19. A little on the cheesy side perhaps, but extremely enjoyable right from the first listen. [TAC]
20. Wasn't sure the vocals fit the music at first, but was thoroughly enjoying myself by the end.
21. A style you've sent me before, but this feels more immediately engaging than it sometimes is.
22. Not super immediate for me, but the newer tracks in particular sound like they could be up my alley. [Cyril]

ya lazies

Buddyhunter1

Yeah, you shoulda re-posted them when you revealed them all!

Here they are, anyways:

Quote from: ariich on May 06, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
Round 1 first impressions

1. My ears! [Puppies – Blut Aus Nord]
2. My brain! [Indiscipline – Area]
3. My heart! [Sacul – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds]
4. I feel dirty. [Stadler – Sweet]
5. This is rather lovely. [Katt – Monica Heldal]
6. Bonkers and very entertaining. [romdrums – Edge of Reality]
7. Very pleasant background music. [Tomi – Weyes Blood]
8. Dark, dense, moody and pretty engaging. [Elite – Blindead]
9. Very epic, and varied but also consistent in mood. [Buddy – Thy Catafalque]
10. Intense and a lot to take in, but pretty engrossing as well. [Shadow – The Plot In You]
11. There's a lot to take in on first listen, but what a great sound. [Train – Clarence Clarity]
12. Some very engaging and innovative stuff, if a little all over the place. [LordCost – Van Der Graaf Generator]
13. This isn't a genre I often find that exciting, but when it works, it works. [Nekov – Lazerhawk]
14. A solid example of the genre, if perhaps not particularly a standout one. [Luoto – Eternal Storm]
15. This is exactly what I expected it to sound like... and that's no bad thing. [wolfking – Solution.45]
16. Some lovely moments, but also others than sounded a little run of the mill. [Lethean – Riverside]
17. Dark, dynamic and quite beautiful – early contender for favourite of the round. [Evermind – Evan Carson]
18. This has a lovely warmth to it, and I liked this more than I might have expected. [king – Rise Twain]
19. A little on the cheesy side perhaps, but extremely enjoyable right from the first listen. [TAC – Atlas Pain]
20. Wasn't sure the vocals fit the music at first, but was thoroughly enjoying myself by the end. [lonestar – Aeternam]
21. A style you've sent me before, but this feels more immediately engaging than it sometimes is. [Jingle – Subsignal]
22. Not super immediate for me, but the newer tracks in particular sound like they could be up my alley. [Cyril – La Dispute]

The Walrus

King Postwhore

Quote from: Kattelox on May 08, 2020, 11:31:15 AM
Wait where did that happen? Omg I'm dumb  :lol

Page 7 the original. :lol

Edit:  Katt, you just pulled a TAC. :lol

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 08, 2020, 11:28:33 AM
Yeah, you shoulda re-posted them when you revealed them all!
I was going to (and would have done eventually), but then thought where would the fun be in posting them straight away. :lol

And yeah original first impression posts (with any reveals) will be linked in the OP, but I can't be bothered to also update subsequent quoting of it. :P

EDIT: Oh also to remind everyone of the obvious caveat that those were first impressions and subject to change with further listens...

ariich

Last update for today - pretty sure I've settled on scores, so just need to get write-ups finished. Results will therefore be tomorrow.

So start planning round 2, if you haven't already!

King Postwhore

Got some driving to do tomorrow.  Perfect way to dwindle down some albums.

The Walrus

Sacul

Buddyhunter1

Already know what I'm going to send and am quite excited about it :)

Indiscipline

Trying to pick something shifting the impression from My Brain! to My Guts!

ariich

Quote from: Indiscipline on May 08, 2020, 04:26:41 PM
Trying to pick something shifting the impression from My Brain! to My Guts!
Let's try and cover every major organ by the end of the roulette.

Indiscipline

Crow

Toehider is banned so I'm not sure how we're gonna get toes covered

ariich

I'm looking forward to whatever makes me say "My pancreas!"