General > General Music Archives

ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – EPic final results!

(1/737) > >>

ariich:
ariich’s inclusive roulette (v6) – no eliminations, everyone welcome!

My last three roulettes have been album roulettes, and I’ve loved them, but I’ve had to limit the number of people who can take part, meaning prelims and eliminations. This time I want to do something that will involve as many people as want to play for the whole thing, all with equal focus. But I also didn’t want to go back to a regular song roulette as I often find it hard to get a sense of what an artist is like from a single song, particularly if its short.

So, in a way, I’m going to do something in between, by asking you to send me 10-20 minutes of music by the same artist (see the rules below for further details), giving you all as much flexibility as possible while ensuring it will be manageable for me no matter how many people play.

It should all be much simpler this time, and I’d like to have as many people as possible play – particularly if you’ve either been eliminated early in my last couple of roulettes or not played in them at all. As well as discovering some music that I might love (which has been my focus in past roulettes), I also want to use it to get to know what you love as well, and hear things I might not normally hear.

Any questions, ask them in here and I’ll be happy to answer!

SUBMISSIONS:

* Submissions: Send me 10-20 minutes of music by a single band/artist, subject to the banned list (see next section).
* This can be a single song or as many tracks as you like, from as many different albums as you like. As long as it’s all by the same artist and is between 10 and 20 minutes, you can send what you like.
* The one exception is that there’s no maximum length (i.e. you can go above 20 minutes) if you’re only sending one song.
* Your submission doesn’t need to be “curated” like an EP so don’t worry about flow, though if a particular order improves the listening experience then by all means send it that way – I’ll listen to everything in the order it’s sent.
* Format: I have a Spotify subscription, so that's pretty ideal for submissions as I can sync for offline listening, but other free-to-use streaming platforms are also acceptable particularly if I can make a playlist. If absolutely necessary you can send me the files - better to have your preferred submission than whatever happens to be on Spotify.
* Duplicates: Completely fine for more than one person to send the same artist in the same round.
* Scoring: Back to simple ratings out of 10 this time.
* Rounds: Seven regular rounds, and I’m toying with doing a more fun final round (curious to see how Indi’s royal rumble goes) but I will seek views from participants once we start.----------------------------------
EDIT: 8th and final round will be EPs, with the following rules:

* No eliminations as promised, so all of you are playing.
* Length will be 20-35 minutes.
* Number of artists will be minimum 2, maximum 5.
* Maximum score will be 15 points, this will the regular 10 point scale for how much I like the music, plus up to 5 points for flow.
* Theme or concept is entirely optional, though in my experience it can be helpful in articulating a narrative flow of some kind, so it's entirely up to you.
* Format is up to you, it can be Spotify playlist, a collection of mp3s or an single edited mp3, send me a 3D printed vinyl in the mail, whatever works.
* The TAC rule: Banned list rules remain the same with one exception, known through the ages as the TAC rule: So that you can plan your EP ahead of time, if an artist you plan to use in your EP is used by someone else in an earlier regular round, you can PM me (after hangman is revealed but BEFORE first impressions are posted) and tell me that you plan to use that artist in your EP. However, once impressions are posted, you will be locked in to using that artist in your EP with at least a full song (i.e. not just a 10-second intro track), although you can choose whichever song(s) you like, including any sent already.
* Short intro/interlude tracks that are used for flow are exempt from the rules on number of artists and the banned list - i.e. you can use any artist at all for that purpose, and it doesn't count as one of the maximum 5. It may help your flow score but won't contribute to your music quality score.----------------------------------

BANNED ARTISTS AND ALBUMS:

As in previous roulettes, banned artists are based on my RYM profile (https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich – scroll down to the "music" section and you can use the "ratings" tab to browse what I've rated, but more useful is the "Search ariich's music for" bar to see if something you're thinking of is already in my list - if you really can't figure it out, just ask!). The banned rules are as follows:

* Anything by an artist that I've ever rated 4 stars or more is completely banned.
* For artists I’ve only rated 3.5 stars or lower, any album I’ve rated is banned but any other music of theirs is available.
* Any songs sent in this roulette, and any artist that scores 8/10 or above, will be banned for the rest of the roulette.
OTHER INFO:

* I will try and keep rounds to around a week, maybe 10 days. Hangman will occur, and possibly other shenanigans.
* In line with previous roulettes, I will listen to every submission at least three times, maybe more. The absolute minimum is two listens, and if I'm really not finding myself at all interested after that, I reserve the right to give up on it.
MY TASTES:
Here’s what I posted last time about my tastes, which I think still applies.

I have a general leaning towards rock and metal, but I like music from pretty much any other genre too, as will be clear from my RYM profile. It’s a bit of a cliché, but broadly speaking the stuff I like the most is that which evokes a feeling in me, or makes me want to immerse myself in it. But there are completely different ways that music can do that, which depending on the style could contrast or could complement. An incomplete list of ways that music can, but does not necessarily, speak to me includes:

* Strong melodies and harmonies (doesn’t necessarily need to be vocal melodies, and I’m absolutely fine with harsh vocals);
* Energy and dynamism/variety (which can include technicality);
* Strong production, of various types (e.g. punchy, deep, etc.);
* Atmosphere.I’d say that all my favourite music hits at least one of those, often more. And if something is particularly weak in one or more of those areas, it would normally need to really excel in others to compensate. But to be honest, I’m unpredictable and something might tick all those boxes and still just not really speak to me. So good luck.

My RYM ratings are probably a useful reference point, particularly on albums I rate 4 stars or higher, if used sensibly. Essentially everything 4 stars and above I consider to be excellent. Within that, the stuff that I rate even higher (4.5-5 stars) really just comes down to how much it really grabs me and I normally can’t explain why. Higher ratings tend to come either after many listens if something is new, or if I'm already very familiar with an artist then it can happen quicker. With completely new stuff, I don’t often commit to a 4.5 star rating (and basically never a 5 star rating) after only a few listens. So if you're trying to judge what I might like a lot, taking in everything 4 stars and up is a good starting point, and higher ratings can of course be considered but may not be as reliable (to the extent that anything is very reliable, which is not much).

Stuff I rate 3.5 stars I still consider very good, but there's normally something about it that I find lacking for whatever reason. Even more so for 3 stars which is basically "pretty good but not very exciting". 2.5 stars and lower I'd probably never choose to listen to it again.

PARTICIPANTS:
Final scores:

1. Buddy    = 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.6 + 8.6 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.4 + (8.6 + 4.3) = 70.9*
 2. Evermind = 9.0 + 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.3 + (8.4 + 4.0) = 70.9
 3. Katt     = 8.5 + 8.0 + 9.0 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.2 + (8.2 + 4.0) = 70.7
 4. TAC      = 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 8.7 + (8.6 + 4.0) = 70.6
 5. Shadow   = 8.0 + 6.9 + 8.2 + 8.1 + 9.0 + 9.4 + 8.0 + (8.7 + 4.2) = 70.5
 6= Cyril    = 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.6 + 7.9 + (8.2 + 4.3) = 70.3
 6= Luoto    = 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.2 + 8.2 + (8.9 + 4.5) = 70.3
 8= Train    = 8.9 + 8.1 + 7.5 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.3 + (8.4 + 3.8) = 70.0
 8= jingle   = 8.1 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 + 8.6 + 7.8 + 8.4 + (8.2 + 4.1) = 70.0
10. Puppies  = 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.3 + 8.4 + (8.3 + 4.2) = 69.9
11. wolfking = 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.9 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.1 + (8.1 + 3.8) = 69.7
12= lonestar = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.5 + (8.0 + 4.1) = 69.4
12= Elite    = 8.1 + 8.5 + 7.6 + 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.3 + 7.9 + (8.7 + 4.1) = 69.4
12= Indi     = 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 8.0 + 8.2 + (8.3 + 4.5) = 69.4
15= romdrums = 8.0 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.1 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + (8.1 + 3.7) = 69.3
15= Nekov    = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.2 + (8.2 + 4.1) = 69.3
17. Sacul    = 8.1 + 7.1 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.1 + 8.4 + (8.3 + 4.0) = 68.8
18. king     = 8.2 + 7.8 + 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.4 + (8.0 + 3.9) = 68.4
19. Tomi     = 7.3 + 8.1 + 7.9 + 8.5 + 8.1 + 7.5 + 8.5 + (8.1 + 3.9) = 67.9
20. LordCost = 7.2 + 8.8 + 7.3 + 8.2 + 7.5 + 8.4 + 8.0 + (7.9 + 3.7) = 67.0
21. Lethean  = 7.6 + 8.0 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.4 + 7.6 + 8.2 + (7.6 + 3.4) = 66.7
22. Stadler  = 7.4 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 + 8.4 + 7.8 + 8.0 + (7.3 + 3.7) = 66.4

*Wins due to Prisoners' Dilemma decisions.

* Round 9 = Prisoners' Dilemma

ROUNDS:
Round 1: First impressions / RESULTS
Round 2: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
Round 3: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
Round 4: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
Round 5: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
Round 6: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
Round 7: First impressions / Comparisons / RESULTS
EP final: First impressions / Tops & Bottoms / RESULTS: ranks 20-22, 17-19, 15-16, 12-14, 10-11, 8-9, 6-7, 4-5, 1-3, and winner decided by Prisoners' Dilemma!

BANNED DURING ROULETTE:
A.A. Williams
Abel Ganz
Aephanemer
Aeternam
Algiers
Allegaeon
Anamanaguchi
Angels and Airwaves
Anthriel
Arcane
Architects
Arctic Monkeys
Arcturus
Arena
Atlas Pain
Bend Sinister
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man
Beyond the Black
Billie Eilish
Blindead
Blue Sky Black Death
Borknagar
Burden of Life
Clarence Clarity
Cloud Cult
Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng & Linnea Olsson
Daydream XI
Deadly Circus Fire
Destrage
Dimension Act
Dire Straits
Edge of Reality
Elder
Elio e Le Storie Tese
Ensiferum
Ereb Altor
Eternal Storm
Evan Carson
Federation of the Disco Pimp
Fjokra
Freaky Jelly
Frédéric Chopin
Ghost
Gino Vannelli
Glass Beach
Goldfrapp
Gorillaz
Green Carnation
Hemina
Illyria
Illyria
Imagine Dragons
In the Silence
Jethro Tull
Julien Baker
Justice
Kamasi Washington
Kardashev
KBB
Kiyosen
La Dispute
Lazerhawk
Like Thieves
Lord
M.I.GOD
Mad Lollypop
Malpractice
Marketa Irglova
Matthew Good
Messa
Michael Schenker Group
Monica Heldal
Moron Police
Mors Principium Est
MyGrain
Netherbird
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Nicumo
Nils Frahm
Ninjaspy
No-Man
Norther
Pendragon
Perihelion Ship
Portico Quartet
Primal Fear
Psychonaut
Pyramaze
Randy Newman
Rise Twain
Saltillo
Scarlet Stories
Sleeping At Last
Soen
Solefald
Solution.45
Southern Empire
Sting
Stoned Jesus
Subsignal
Suotana
The Intersphere
The Mayan Factor
The Mercury Tree
The Night Flight Orchestra
The Panic Channel
The Panic Division
The Plot In You
The Weeknd
Thematic
Thy Catafalque
Tom Waits
Tripsitter
Tycho
Unprocessed
Valis Ablaze
Vanishing Point
Voices from the Fuselage
Whispered
Wretched
Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts

TAC:
In

ariich:

--- Quote from: TAC on May 01, 2020, 03:49:33 PM ---In

--- End quote ---
Yes! Question mark removed.

EDIT: Oh and I'll leave sign-ups open for a good week or so, so no rush to send something super quickly or anything.

The Walrus:
I like the different approach, this is fresh! You'll have my first submissions sometime tomorrow.

ariich:
By the way, no requirement or even pressure to, but if you do want to say a bit about why you like/love the artist/song(s) you're sending, it will always be read with interest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version