Author Topic: To the Drummers...  (Read 1191 times)

Online Trav86

To the Drummers...
« on: June 26, 2020, 06:13:53 AM »
I had this thought today. Does the drum breakdown section in Pale Blue Dot sound like its influenced by the drum solos in Steely Dan’s ‘Aja’? Mike has said that Steve Gadd is one of his favorites. But listen to the chord stabs in both songs. Even Mike’s bell hit is like Gadd’s stick click. Is it just me?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: To the Drummers...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:17:40 AM »
The accent structures (meaning where they are in the measure) and the time signatures are different though. I see why you thought so though, because of the chords Mike solos over are very similar. Mike's solo bits are a lot harder to play though, technically and musically. So yes, it might just be you. Interesting thought though, have to admit.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Trav86

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:49:44 AM »
I realize it’s not the same. You expressed that better than I could. But you can hear how overall it has a similar idea. Right?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
I realize it’s not the same. You expressed that better than I could. But you can hear how overall it has a similar idea. Right?
yes, in some way and it definitely has quite a few ideas of jazz fusion (which Steely Dan were, they were a jazz fusion band at heart IMHO), but very much evolved and definitely inspired by Gentle Giant as well. (probably even more inspired by Gentle Giant in addition to Steely Dan) Definitely one of my favourite sections on the entire album. (the entire PBD instrumental section and end Morricone section and Barstool and Out Of Reach as well)
The Gentle Giant-inspired section I mean is the one with the half tone-whole tone scale in the melody in 15/8, right before Mike solos over the chord changes btw.
(and yes, the ride bell accent is something I thought of as well, but similar to him, more like a comedic bit)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:25:17 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"