Author Topic: My Heart Will Go On - Satriani style  (Read 820 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
My Heart Will Go On - Satriani style
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:29:32 AM »
I don't remember, but I don't *think* I posted this here...

Many years ago, I saw a band perform a tongue-in-cheek version of Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On”. Fast and with electric guitars and drums. It was quite good, actually. So I thought I’d attempt to recreate it, playing the vocal melody on guitar and adding a guitar solo. I recorded this in a couple hours, with my electric subbing in for my (at the time out of commission) bass (shifted down an octave after recording), and a very robotic sounding drum machine software. I’m NO Joe Satriani, by a long shot, but the end result kinda reminds me a little of Satch’s “Crushing Day”. I’m happy with how it came out and found it to be a fun little experiment in re-working something completely outside of my normal listening tastes.

https://soundcloud.com/cozmo-hagar/my-heart-will-go-on

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: My Heart Will Go On - Satriani style
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Sounds great, dude! Very fun :) Love the speed towards the end!

I play MHWGO all the time at the piano. Lovely song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:07:08 PM »
Thanks, man! I did this quick and dirty and really should go back and give it some better attention and add some harmony parts on the chorus. This was a lot of fun to do.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
This must have got buried in the topic list, didn't see it until today.  I can see why it reminds you of a Satch tune (especially early in his career). The drum programming could be a bit calmer with maybe a little variety or some sprinkles. It kinda takes away from guitar performance. I thought the guitar solo was great. If you do go back and give it some attention, I think building up the solo by varying the pace could work even better.

But whatever, it's your tune, it rocks, it's Coz, let's party.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 01:37:35 AM »
Cool.