Author Topic: Out of Reach appreciation thread  (Read 3955 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Out of Reach appreciation thread
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »
Beautiful song and possibly the most emotional in their catalog for me. Really, really love it!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »
Not a conventional song at all, but love it! I wouldn't call it one of the best of D/T, but that just means the album is THAT good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2020, 08:39:57 AM »
I love this song, and glad to see that there are many here who feel the same way about it.

JLB nails both the lyrics and delivery of the vocals on this one. The guitar also gives me chills throughout, but the first couple of minutes especially.

I also appreciate the unconventional song structure  :tup

Offline Trav86

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
I love this song, and glad to see that there are many here who feel the same way about it.

JLB nails both the lyrics and delivery of the vocals on this one. The guitar also gives me chills throughout, but the first couple of minutes especially.

I also appreciate the unconventional song structure  :tup

^ All of that.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
Please expound on the backstory. I've read the lyrics and frankly, they're kind of confusing to me.

For instance, he sounds like he's infatuated with her but why is she letting her life slip away?

Yeah its a story about a man who frequents a coffee shop and sees a girl that captivates him like the mere presence of this girl inspires him.

But then when he began to get to know the girl he realize the girl despite looking great and well off is somewhat hurt and like maybe she lost a lover before and the next man she fells in love with mistreats her so she lost the will to love or lets say afraid to love again despite her wanting affection.

And it seems this man wants to be with her but he is rejected by the girl so I think that is the part "You are letting your life sip away"

Like the girl is wasting her life.

The ending of the song is uplifting though

"Although you are hurting and afraid you're stronger than yesterday"

Its really a beautiful song.

Some what a darker version of "lifting shadows of a dream"

Reminds of a girl I know that I my self have fallen in love with.
And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 04:10:15 PM »
But then when he began to get to know the girl he realize the girl despite looking great and well off is somewhat hurt and like maybe she lost a lover before and the next man she fells in love with mistreats her so she lost the will to love or lets say afraid to love again despite her wanting affection.

And it seems this man wants to be with her but he is rejected by the girl so I think that is the part "You are letting your life sip away"

This sums up my current romantic situation quite well :lol :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 05:30:11 PM »

This sums up my current romantic situation quite well :lol :lol

Maybe we can come up with some dark romantic pickup lines from DT lyrics.

"I will cross the bridges in the sky just so I can walk beside you"

"Love just don't stare"

"I guess am I just a dreamer as I await to sleep if so I shall be the sleeper and you are my miracle"

"There is a new love that born for each one that has died"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Or we can use DT lyrics as part of a dark Romantic play or Movie.

Plot: A man a struggling  Musician long suffering from depression and pondering on the meaning of his life and brooding about his past decisions  meats a woman a painter (Sets the tone for the first verse of the Bigger Picture "I can see the painting come alive" )

so the man falls in love with this woman and some how finds the will to live and fix himself but little did he know that the woman her self is thorn from within having been a survivor of an abusive relationship she also somehow finds comfort to know that the Man manages to turn around his life, but despite having an obvious chemistry the woman fights her own feelings fearing that falling in love with this man would just end in despair again.

==================================================================

So here could be an example of a scene in that play.

In this setting the man is in a corner of a time-worn dockside inn, tells his story of despair to the bartender.

Man:If you want to know what is going on in my mind.. Or you will see is a barren wasteland..

Wellcome to the wasteland where you will find ashes nothing but ashes?

Bartender :Ashes?

Man:"Yes the ashes are from all my dreams that have burned up!

Bartender: Well you know there is always hope don't give up on your career  you have the gift of music.

Man:Hope you say? Ah that hope will just be merely like drop of water in this desert inside my head!

As the man left the pub a bit drunk on his pickup truck he wildly swerves down the road where he almost hit a woman on the side of the road trying to change a flat tire he gets off the pickup to offer help he recognised the girl
who frequents a coffee shop and now he gets more chance to open up to the girl.

And so the man started to tell his story as the woman listens openly!

The woman tries to discourage any more romantic bond between them to progress but the man so infatuated and captivated exclaims "You filled me with hope"

Woman:Ha hope thats some thing I no long believe in
Man: I once thought the same hope is like a drop of water trying to quench an arid land but you can turn a drop of water into an Ocean"

Queue in Lifting shadows Intro.

And she listens openly

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:44 AM »
We have some really talented people here who connect with DT's lyrics in a deep way. Kudos.  :tup

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »
We have some really talented people here who connect with DT's lyrics in a deep way. Kudos.  :tup

This is why I prefer this forum, : )

After all Prog Metal is still art and in my humble opinion art should also be able to move emotions, I think this is what sets apart DT from the other more technical Prog Metal bands.

And she listens openly

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »

This is why I prefer this forum, : )

After all Prog Metal is still art and in my humble opinion art should also be able to move emotions, I think this is what sets apart DT from the other more technical Prog Metal bands.

Perfect post :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
I'm hoping this song makes it on their next live release, but that's just wishful thinking because it most likely won't.  But I can still hope and pray... :hefdaddy
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2020, 04:08:11 AM »
I'm hoping this song makes it on their next live release, but that's just wishful thinking because it most likely won't.  But I can still hope and pray... :hefdaddy

Yep I hope it makes it live too.

At first I think the song is too short but now I think it just fits narrative perfectly if its that short.
And she listens openly