Author Topic: Take Away My Pain appreciation thread.  (Read 10248 times)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
Re: Take Away My Pain appreciation thread.
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 04:45:45 AM »
The version on the Once in a LIVEtime CD is 1000% better than the version on FII, IMO.

I agree with this one. That version is what got me into this song.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »
So I am working my way through the different DT Live Era and I am listening to a couple of Fix For '96 shows.

I never listen to Take Away My Pain. I don't know, there's just something incomplete about it.
Anyway, this lyric stands out..

She was standing by the edge of his bed
Staring at the message on their faces
He said, "what else can you do babe?
I guess I won't be coming home again."

They just took away all my promises
Make them take away my pain

That line.."They just took away my promises"..

Man, that kicks you in the gut. Phenomenal line.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »
So I am working my way through the different DT Live Era and I am listening to a couple of Fix For '96 shows.

I never listen to Take Away My Pain. I don't know, there's just something incomplete about it.

Yes. The whole lyric is a great journey through loss. And, for me, musically wonderful.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline 425

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2022, 05:21:56 PM »
I think it's a beautiful song, especially lyrically. I agree that that's a very powerful verse.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline HOF

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »

It’s a great lyric, and yeah, it’s always gotten to me too.

I get how this song as recorded on FII is pretty outside the norm for DT, but I love everything about it. As I mentioned in the top 100 thread, it’s basically DT’s version of Genesis’ Follow You Follow Me or Peter Gabriel’s In Your Eyes (both great songs by definite influences on DT, so it shouldn’t be that weird). That said, the more rocky demo version is also really great. I also really like the version on OIALT with the sax. Basically it’s just a great song however it’s performed.

Offline 425

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2022, 06:07:13 PM »
I was the one you responded to who was a little down on the style they used on the album version, but I do actually like that this song has a great core (the main theme, the vocal melodies and the lyrics) that works with a number of different arrangements.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2022, 08:18:18 PM »
FII version is amazing.

When I got into DT, I struggled with a lot of it. Great riffs followed by crazy prog stuff. Cool melodies, the more noodling. Eventually I came around but I just wanted the metal parts without the prog...at first anyway.

When I got FII, TAMP really stood out. It was beautiful. It was heartfelt. It was sad. I loved it so much I kept going back to other DT songs that I loved parts of and finally started to become a DT fan and started to love ALL those parts. Well, most of them.

I still love TAMP. It really is unique. Then I heard the OIALT version and nearly puked. It's so bland. Add some Kenny G sax and...well, I feel like I'm watching an infomercial. I can't fathom how anybody can choose that verion of the FII version but ya know, opinions...

Offline HOF

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 09:10:33 PM »
FII version is amazing.

When I got into DT, I struggled with a lot of it. Great riffs followed by crazy prog stuff. Cool melodies, the more noodling. Eventually I came around but I just wanted the metal parts without the prog...at first anyway.

When I got FII, TAMP really stood out. It was beautiful. It was heartfelt. It was sad. I loved it so much I kept going back to other DT songs that I loved parts of and finally started to become a DT fan and started to love ALL those parts. Well, most of them.

I still love TAMP. It really is unique. Then I heard the OIALT version and nearly puked. It's so bland. Add some Kenny G sax and...well, I feel like I'm watching an infomercial. I can't fathom how anybody can choose that verion of the FII version but ya know, opinions...

Not Kenny G, Jay … Beckenstein?  ;)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2022, 07:00:54 AM »
FII version is amazing.

Oh yeah. He played with....Spyro Grya?  :tup

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2022, 07:22:04 AM »
Count me in as one (of the few???) who prefers the studio version to all others. And, I consider this song to be one of the hidden gems on FII.

—The song features one of my favorite JP solos (really wish he'd play in this style more often)
—The song is, in my humble opinion, on of JP's best lyrics to date

Someone mentioned 'Follow You, Follow Me," and that is a that is a fantastic observation.

Offline HOF

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2022, 08:10:40 AM »
FII version is amazing.

Oh yeah. He played with....Spyro Grya?  :tup

:lol :rollin

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
I prefer the demo version, but the song is great in all its forms.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2022, 10:36:55 AM »
Count me in as one (of the few???) who prefers the studio version to all others.

Same here. And I'd even say I prefer all the FII studio versions over the originals/demos.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »
Count me in as one (of the few???) who prefers the studio version to all others.

Same here. And I'd even say I prefer all the FII studio versions over the originals/demos.

*gasp* Even You Not Me?

But yeah, I agree with you two.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »
Count me in as one (of the few???) who prefers the studio version to all others. And, I consider this song to be one of the hidden gems on FII.

—The song features one of my favorite JP solos (really wish he'd play in this style more often)
—The song is, in my humble opinion, on of JP's best lyrics to date

Someone mentioned 'Follow You, Follow Me," and that is a that is a fantastic observation.

All of this is correct.

Yes. I like the FII demos just for the songs that were left off. But as for the demo versions vs. studio versions…thank God for Kevin Shirley.
Can't we find the minds

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2022, 03:45:21 PM »

Yes. I like the FII demos just for the songs that were left off. But as for the demo versions vs. studio versions…thank God for Kevin Shirley.

Oh, I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2022, 06:59:32 PM »

Oh, I agree.

Yep. Aside from maybe Awake, I still think FII is DT’s best produced album. The only demo I prefer is You Not Me, and that is less because of what Shirley did with the production and more because of the re-write of the chorus. Rescuing Hell’s Kitchen from BMS was genius (it’s just too bad they didn’t scrap that track altogether and use The Way It Used to Be or Speak To Me. ).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
FII is easily DT's best produced album. Too bad it has their weakest material.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2022, 07:42:42 PM »

The part in the demo version where James goes high on "the curtain falls"... no other version touches that moment.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
I like it a lot, both the album and demo version.  I am a chronic pain sufferer, so it has special meaning to me besides what the lyrics spell out also.  The first time I heard JLB sing "Take Away My Paaaaaiiin!" I was like oh hell goddamn yes, please take it away forever.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2022, 07:34:37 PM »
I often play this one in my acoustic sets. It’s a great track! I personally prefer the demo lyric and the higher note at the end of the bridge, as well as that extra “there’ll be no encore after all” after the solo. It’s an awesome song though!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
Great song. Not their best nor the best from the album, but it is still a killer song.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2022, 07:25:16 PM »
Some of my favourite JP lyrics!

I love how they're ambiguous an not on-the-nose specific to his situation.  They work for anyone and not just himself.

The music in both versions is so different that they're almost two songs it's difficult to directly compare them and pick a favourite.  I think they're both great but if you water-boarded me I'd have to go with the demo version cuz of the guitar solo and "the curtain FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS" just before it.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2022, 06:17:37 AM »
+1 for this song, even if like many others I do prefer the demo version.

But then I love FII, it's a great album.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »
I love how they're ambiguous an not on-the-nose specific to his situation.  They work for anyone and not just himself.

Compared to that other song…right… ;D
Can't we find the minds

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2022, 09:03:15 AM »
Some of my favourite JP lyrics!

The music in both versions is so different that they're almost two songs it's difficult to directly compare them and pick a favourite.  I think they're both great but if you water-boarded me I'd have to go with the demo version cuz of the guitar solo and "the curtain FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS" just before it.

I thought this one was pretty specific but it does work since it has a certain degree of ambiguity

Offline PetFish

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2022, 10:00:33 PM »

Compared to that other song…right… ;D

:angel: