Author Topic: For Musicians Who are Bored and can Connect their Instrument to a Computer...  (Read 689 times)

Offline pcs90

I thought I'd share this here since so many of us around the world are stuck at home.

There's a site called Ninjam which allows you to play music live with people all over the world. To avoid latency the jams are synced to a metronome. You need a way to connect your instrument to your computer (or mics for acoustic instruments,) and then you either need Reaper which has Ninjam built into it or JamTaba. They both operate the same way. You can also use software instruments and fx but I don't know anything about how to set that up.

Anyway, I've been messing around with this app for well over a year now and it has produced some fantastic results. There are both public and private jam rooms, but note that it is not a good platform for a full-scale band rehearsal or live covering Dream Theater songs. In the case of DT, think the live improv jams they sometimes do; that kind of vibe works perfectly. Cover tunes can only work if space is left open, think more of a jam band's interpretation rather than a rigid structure.

I have lots of audio to prove that it works, too. :P

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Thank you for sharing, this sounds interesting!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pcs90

It's definitely fun. It can take some trial and error to find people with the same interests but once you do it can be outstanding.