Author Topic: Illumination Theory Middle Section  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Trav86

Illumination Theory Middle Section
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:03:13 AM »
So...has anyone else watched the animated video that goes with the middle/orchestral section of IT and got all emotional? Like teared up? Maybe it’s just me! Ever since becoming a father, it seems like I cry about everything! 😂
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Illumination Theory Middle Section
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:39:13 AM »
It might be just you :P, but that is still great when music touches you that much. :hat

When I saw them twice on the tour for that record, when it got to that section at both shows, I just stood and closed my eyes and let the music wash over me.  Was pretty amazing.  :coolio

Offline krands85

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
I don't get that from the middle section, but I do near the end, with the "To really feel the joy in life" part. Music doesn't really do that to me too often for some reason, but there's something about the lyrics/vocals in that bit of the song.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:21:30 AM »
Was that the part where there is video of JP saying, "Jordan, play me the saddest part you can think of"? If so, JR nailed it!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »
Was that the part where there is video of JP saying, "Jordan, play me the saddest part you can think of"? If so, JR nailed it!
I'm quite sure it was, yes.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:47:46 AM »
So...has anyone else watched the animated video that goes with the middle/orchestral section of IT and got all emotional? Like teared up? Maybe it’s just me! Ever since becoming a father, it seems like I cry about everything! 😂

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4I4NOe1olk

I'm not sure I'd seen this  more than once before today, and I doubt I picked up on the intended meaning at the concert (you don't really see too much of the video on Breaking the Fourth Wall).  The music itself is a bit tear-jerking, but I view it as much as a "hopeful" sounding piece than a sad piece.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
... I do near the end, with the "To really feel the joy in life" part. Music doesn't really do that to me too often for some reason, but there's something about the lyrics/vocals in that bit of the song.

Same here! That part always gets me, I love it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »
I don't get that from the middle section, but I do near the end, with the "To really feel the joy in life" part. Music doesn't really do that to me too often for some reason, but there's something about the lyrics/vocals in that bit of the song.

This, totally this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »

It is even more emotional in Breaking the 4th Wall because of the placing of Illumination theory within the set.

I mean they played Epic after the Awake selections and all of the AWAKE songs in there are dark except Lifting Shadows, So if you will really internalize the songs meaning from the Awake culminating with Space Dyevest its really depressing right?

But then you are illuminated by "Surrender Trust and Passion"

If you are a DT Fan its hard not to be moved by that.
And she listens openly

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Really good song.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:47:58 AM by Dream_Theater01 »

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:46 AM »
Does anyone know why they played the tape for this in concert instead of Jordan playing it live?  That still bugs me when I listed to Breaking the 4th Wall.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
Does anyone know why they played the tape for this in concert instead of Jordan playing it live?  That still bugs me when I listed to Breaking the 4th Wall.

While the atmospheric/noise section might have been a recording (although it certainly wasn't a tape), the orchestra played the musical section.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 11:43:15 AM »

While the atmospheric/noise section might have been a recording (although it certainly wasn't a tape), the orchestra played the musical section.

I guess I asked the question wrong - I really meant on the tour. I appreciate the reminder of the orchestra for the recorded show but I think they played the tape on the other shows. The two I saw, it appeared that way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

I thought it was understood that the live orchestra did NOT make it to the release of BTFW and they opted to use the tape for the live release instead.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol