Poll

What are your favorite KISS album sides. You can choose 3.

Side 1 s/t...Strutter, Nothin' To Lose, Firehouse, Cold Gin, Let Me Know
3 (8.8%)
Side 2 s/t...Kissin' Time, Duece, Love Theme From Kiss, 100,000 Years, Black Diamond
3 (8.8%)
Side 1 Hotter Than Hell  ....Got To Choose, Parasite, Goin' Blind, Hotter Than Hell, Let Me Ho, Rock n' Roll
7 (20.6%)
Side 2 Hotter Than Hell...All The Way, Watchin' You, Mainline, Comin' Home, Strange Ways
3 (8.8%)
Side 1 Dressed To Kill...Room Service, Two Timer, Ladies In Waiting, Getaway, Rock Bottom
3 (8.8%)
Side 2 Dressed To Kill...C'Mon And Love Me, Anything For My Baby, She, Lover Her All I Can, Rock And Roll All Nite
3 (8.8%)
Side 1 Destroyer...Detroit Rock City, King Of The Nighttime World, God Of Thunder, Great Expectations
4 (11.8%)
Side 2 Destroyer...Flaming Youth, Sweet Pain, Shout It Out Loud, Beth, Do You Love Me
0 (0%)
Side 1 Rock And Roll Over...I Want You, Take Me, Calling Dr. Love, Ladies Room, Baby Driver,
3 (8.8%)
Side 2 Rock And Roll Over...Love 'Em And Leave 'Em, Mr. Speed, See You In My Dreams, Hard Luck Woman, Makin' Love
1 (2.9%)
Side 1 Love Gun...I Stole Your Love, Christine Sixteen, Got Love For Sale, Shock Me, Tomorrow And Tonight
3 (8.8%)
Side 2 Love Gun...Love Gun, Hooligan, Almost Human, Plaster Caster, Then She Kissed Me
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What are your favorite KISS album sides  (Read 1510 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What are your favorite KISS album sides
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:07:54 PM »
Inspired by Kev's Van Halen Thread and Stadler's post on the length of the 70's KISS albums.

I only kept it to the pre Alive II original albums. I thought about Dynasty, but ultimately decided against it, even though it's one of my favorite Kiss albums.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

Re: What are your favorite KISS album sides
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
This is EXTREMELY difficult. I don’t think there’s anything here that doesn’t have something amazing on the same side as something not so amazing.

Side 1 of the debut might be the only one that is all 10s front to back. Two more is tougher but I went for side one of HTH, and side 1 of RNRO. But any one of the rest are pretty much in the same league.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 02:40:45 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
This is EXTREMELY difficult. I don’t think there’s anything here that doesn’t have something amazing on the same side as something not so amazing.

Right, that's how I felt about the Van Halen albums.

1/24th down.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
I went Side 1 of Love Gun and both sides of Hotter Than Hell, which is easily my favorite Kiss album. I actually love Side 2.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
Side one Hotter Than Hell
Side 1 Destroyer
Side 2 Rock N Roll Over
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 03:40:31 PM »
Side 1 of S/T - not a huge Firehouse fan but the rest are really solid

Side 1 of HTH - this is an amazing side aside from LMGR&R imo, side 2 is great as well aside from Mainline

Side 2 of DTK - really strong half with RARAN being the only less than great song

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
Didn't vote. No Kevin Moore option.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
Hotter Than Hell side two. My favourite album of theirs from this period.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 06:12:17 AM »
Side 1 Destroyer
Side 2 Rock N Roll Over

My brother from another mother.   I would switch Destroyer to Side 2, but other than that... right on the mark.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 06:14:09 AM »

Side 1 of HTH - this is an amazing side aside from LMGR&R imo, side 2 is great as well aside from Mainline

Side 2 of DTK - really strong half with RARAN being the only less than great song

I'm only writing this because it's turning into a pattern (someone slagged Speed Of Light by Maiden, and it's probably my favorite song on Book Of Souls), but LMGR&R is one of my top five Kiss songs.  LOVE it.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 06:33:39 AM »
LMGRnR is one of my Top 5 Kiss songs too.

Not sure I could get behind that Speed Of Light argument though. :)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
Tim's mind is wandering.

Let Me Ho!  Rock n Roll.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 06:34:42 AM »
LMGRnR is one of my Top 5 Kiss songs too.

Not sure I could get behind that Speed Of Light argument though. :)

Now it's albums; check out the Van Halen thread.  I'm on a fuckin' ROLL!   :) :)

Offline DTA

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »

I'm only writing this because it's turning into a pattern (someone slagged Speed Of Light by Maiden, and it's probably my favorite song on Book Of Souls), but LMGR&R is one of my top five Kiss songs.  LOVE it.

I know it's pretty well-loved...but it just doesn't do it for me. I'm honestly more a fan of Kiss' 1980-1987 run of albums than their 70's stuff which already puts me in the extreme minority. Speed of Light kicks ass but TBoS is full of strong songs

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 06:55:20 AM »
Side 1 Destroyer
Side 2 Rock N Roll Over

My brother from another mother.   I would switch Destroyer to Side 2, but other than that... right on the mark.

That would be my #4.  So damn tough compared to VH.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
Similar to VH, each albums 4-6 best songs are split on different sides.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 07:16:48 AM »
I chose side one of Destroyer, Rock and roll over and the debut. Although I was also considering side two of Rock and roll over, that's my favorite album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 07:21:23 AM »
My issue with Side 1 of Destroyer is that I have never been a fan of God Of Thunder. Ever. And Great Expectations blows.

But the 1-2 punch of DRC and KOTNTW is amazing and almost carried the side on their own.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:42 AM »

I know it's pretty well-loved...but it just doesn't do it for me. I'm honestly more a fan of Kiss' 1980-1987 run of albums than their 70's stuff which already puts me in the extreme minority. Speed of Light kicks ass but TBoS is full of strong songs

What's your favorite album from that period?  I just went through the process of ripping the Kissology DVDs to my hard drive, and I was surprised how good some of those early 80's songs have aged, and don't even get me started on the Simmons/Stanley/Kulick/Singer version of the band live.   Either that '92 show from the Palace at Auburn Hills (if ever re-released in a more palatable form than the shitty Alive III) or the '94 Monsters Of Rock show, are easily as good as Alive! in my opinion. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 07:30:05 AM »
The 92 tour was the best KISS tour I ever saw.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »
My issue with Side 1 of Destroyer is that I have never been a fan of God Of Thunder. Ever. And Great Expectations blows.

But the 1-2 punch of DRC and KOTNTW is amazing and almost carried the side on their own.

I prefer the faster version of GoT on Alive II. I don't mind GE but that opening salvo is excellent. I preferred side 2 on the whole.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:05 AM »

Plus Revenge is a killer album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »

I saw the club show at Avalon before the arena tour. Fucking awesome!!!

I prefer the faster version of GoT on Alive II. I don't mind GE but that opening salvo is excellent. I preferred side 2 on the whole.

Destroyer just hasn't aged great for me. Other than DRC and KOTNTW. I still like Flaming Youth.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 07:45:59 AM »
Similar to VH, each albums 4-6 best songs are split on different sides.

As a huge KISS fan I'm a deep cuts guy so I'd agree with this.
When I realised I could add the other two choices I missed I went with both sides of Love Gun. It's my second favourite album.

Are we going to do the other albums at some point?

Offline DTA

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »

What's your favorite album from that period?  I just went through the process of ripping the Kissology DVDs to my hard drive, and I was surprised how good some of those early 80's songs have aged, and don't even get me started on the Simmons/Stanley/Kulick/Singer version of the band live.   Either that '92 show from the Palace at Auburn Hills (if ever re-released in a more palatable form than the shitty Alive III) or the '94 Monsters Of Rock show, are easily as good as Alive! in my opinion.

It's probably a tie between Unmasked and Asylum, with Creatures right behind. Ace's best material was on Unmasked and his songs are usually the highlights for me. Asylum is just awesome 80's glam metal, with two of my favorite Kiss songs in Who Wants To Be Lonely and Radar For Love. Creatures is self-explanatory...just great music with lots of strong Gene tracks. I'm a relative newcomer to Kiss and haven't really heard much live stuff, but it's always bugged me how little of the 80's stuff was played live at the time and afterwards.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
So I thought Ace's contributions to Unmasked sucked. Sucked hard. Now if we're talking Dynasty, then Ace rules.

Glad to see Asylum mentioned. Underrated album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
So I thought Ace's contributions to Unmasked sucked. Sucked hard. Now if we're talking Dynasty, then Ace rules.

Nah, Ace on Unmasked was great, like on Dynasty. He was on a roll at that time.

Offline DTA

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »

Ace rules on Dynasty also. But Talk To Me, Two Sides, and Torpedo are his top 3 songs for me

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
Side 1 - Hotter Than Hell - solid beginning to end
Side 1 - Dressed To Kill - has one of the most underrated Peter vocals of all-time
Side 2 - Dressed To Kill - RaRAN is the only weak link on this side

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »

Ace rules on Dynasty also. But Talk To Me, Two Sides, and Torpedo are his top 3 songs for me

Other than that intro - ugh - and some of the lyrics (but... Kiss!), I love Torpedo Girl.   That chorus sticks in my head for days. I'm a big fan of Unmasked anyway; I really dig the Gene songs.  The only song I don't like is Shandi, in the mix for my least favorite Kiss song ever along with Hooligan (won't go to school again). 

I used to make cassettes of just Gene, just Paul, and just Ace songs, and the "just Ace" were always played a little bit more often (though I snuck Cold Gin and Parasite on there, even though he didn't sing them). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »

I saw the club show at Avalon before the arena tour. Fucking awesome!!!

I rarely get jealous over that sort of thing - time and place and all that - but that one, that one galls me.  I was single then, I was living in an apartment, I wasn't in law school yet... there's no excuse, literally no excuse, for me not seeing that show (or the one at the Ritz). 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
Love this,,,, and SIde 1 Dressed to Kill
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2020, 02:25:45 PM »

Other than that intro - ugh - and some of the lyrics (but... Kiss!), I love Torpedo Girl.   That chorus sticks in my head for days. I'm a big fan of Unmasked anyway; I really dig the Gene songs.  The only song I don't like is Shandi, in the mix for my least favorite Kiss song ever along with Hooligan (won't go to school again). 

I used to make cassettes of just Gene, just Paul, and just Ace songs, and the "just Ace" were always played a little bit more often (though I snuck Cold Gin and Parasite on there, even though he didn't sing them).

Unmasked was my first non live KISS album and still probably my favourite. But I love Shandi.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
I really don't think Unmasked is very good.

I do think Tomorrow is one of my all time favorite Kiss songs. And Naked City might is a Top 5 Gene song for me, and I generally don't care for his stuff.
Easy As It Seems is also pretty um..easy on the ears. And Shandi is fine.

But other than that, I can't say there's much I care for, and I think Ace's tracks are especially weak.