Poll

What are your favorite album side of these options? (CHOOSE 3)

Side 1 of Van Halen: Runnin' with the Devil, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, I'm the One
20 (29.4%)
Side 2 of Van Halen: Jamie's Cryin', Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight, Little Dreamer, Ice Cream Man, On Fire
6 (8.8%)
Side 1 of Van Halen II: You're No Good, Dance the Night Away, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Bottoms Up!, Outta Love Again
3 (4.4%)
Side 2 of Van Halen II: Light Up the Sky, Spanish Fly, D.O.A., Women in Love..., Beautiful Girls
2 (2.9%)
Side 1 of Women and Children First: And the Cradle Will Rock..., Everybody Wants Some, Fools, Romeo Delight
7 (10.3%)
Side 2 of Women and Children First: Tora! Tora!, Loss of Control, Take Your Whiskey Home, Could This Be Magic?, In a Simple Rhyme
1 (1.5%)
Side 1 of Fair Warning: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing!, Hear About It Later
12 (17.6%)
Side 2 of Fair Warning: Unchained, Push Comes to Shove, So This Is Love?, Sunday Afternoon in the Park, One Foot out the Door
2 (2.9%)
Side 1 of Diver Down: Where Have All the Good Times Gone, Hang 'Em High, Cathedral, Secrets, Intruder, Pretty Woman
1 (1.5%)
Side 2 of Diver Down: Dancing in the Streets, Little Guitars (Intro), Little Guitars, Big Bad Bill, The Full Bug, Happy Trails
1 (1.5%)
Side 1 of 1984: 1984, Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs
11 (16.2%)
Side 2 of 1984: Hot for Teacher, I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad, House of Pain
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closes: January 19, 2026, 08:31:41 AM

Author Topic: Favorite Van Halen album sides of the original David Lee Roth era  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Favorite Van Halen album sides of the original David Lee Roth era
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2020, 11:41:05 AM »
Little Guitars is the best original tune, IMO, and I like Secrets as well.  Some of the covers are nice as well (Pretty Woman and Where Have All the Good Times Gone).

I didn't realise WHATGTG was a cover.

The Kinks. They did another Kinks cover once before.  :)

They did??

Wait, whut? 

"You Really Got Me" is a Kinks song. You know that. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2020, 02:00:22 PM »
Side 1 of Van Halen: Runnin' with the Devil, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, I'm the One
Side 1 of Fair Warning: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing!, Hear About It Later
Side 1 of 1984: 1984, Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs

Glad to see my choices are getting the most votes...for now anyway.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2020, 08:57:31 PM »
I sort of get the appeal of Big Bad Bill, as VH has no one other song like that in their history, so it is unique in that regard, but The Full Bug is about as bland a song as you can imagine.

I like Big Bad Bill too, especially as it has the old man on it. I think that's neat. But it's effect is minimized by the handful of cover tunes including the lame as hell Happy Trails.

Happy Trails is so short, though, that it's difficult for me to even consider.

When all is said and done, Diver Down really does sound like an album they half-assed their way through.  As fresh and energetic as the rest of the original Roth-era albums sound, that one mostly sounds like a band bored out of their minds.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely like that. Feels like they recharged a bit for 1984, although after you lop off Panama and Jump, it's still only a 6 song album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »
Okay, but why would you lop off Jump and Panama?  That is like saying, "if you lop off The Spirit of Radio and Freewill, Permanent Waves is only a 4-song album."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
Why, cuz they blow.

My 1984 starts with Top Jimmy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 09:29:06 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm:

Top Jimmy is a solid tune, but probably the weakest link on that record.  Almost everything else is money, except maybe House of Pain which I might categorize as merely "very good."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:43 PM »
I just want to take a moment to say that I think VH broke my heart more than any other band. 

I know many bands try to present themselves as "buddies", "best friends", or "brothers"...but the chemistry that the DLR-era VH shared on stage and in their videos honestly had me believing it.    It was tough to hear later than EVH had been looking to split because of his hatred for DLR as far back as WACF.   

Speaking purely from a "chemistry" standpoint, that original lineup would be my pick for "greatest rock and roll band" in history.    They literally had everything.   Flash, personality, talent, chemistry, explosive stage presence...  If you find bootleg videos of their live shows from 79-81ish...it was like having 3 frontmen and a wall of sound that completely kicked your ass.   But man...it's so sad how pathetic they all are now.   Well, not Michael, but the other three.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »
Jump is amazing.

Hot For Teacher is a song I'll never play again.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »
If you look at Diver Down in context -  an album that they threw together in a week or two to keep the record label happy after the unexpected success of Pretty Woman ..............then I view it as a pretty good effort!
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »
Girl Gone Bad is the only filler on 1984.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
I just want to take a moment to say that I think VH broke my heart more than any other band. 

I know many bands try to present themselves as "buddies", "best friends", or "brothers"...but the chemistry that the DLR-era VH shared on stage and in their videos honestly had me believing it.    It was tough to hear later than EVH had been looking to split because of his hatred for DLR as far back as WACF.   

Speaking purely from a "chemistry" standpoint, that original lineup would be my pick for "greatest rock and roll band" in history.    They literally had everything.   Flash, personality, talent, chemistry, explosive stage presence...  If you find bootleg videos of their live shows from 79-81ish...it was like having 3 frontmen and a wall of sound that completely kicked your ass.   But man...it's so sad how pathetic they all are now.   Well, not Michael, but the other three.

Well, it was Kiss for me, but I hear you.

Having said that, after the fallout, and during the equally half-assed 5150 (meaning, I like about half the songs) it was MY epiphany that the chemistry didn't have to be "like".   You could have band members that hate each other, but just seem to bring out the (musical) best in the other person.   Ed tamed down some of Dave's more vaudevillian nonsense, and Dave coaxed Ed out of the shadows and into the light, so to speak.  I'm a big Sammy fan, generally, but for me, there's no debate:  VH is a far more unique, special band with Dave and Ed than with Sam and Ed.   (It's similar to me as DT with Portnoy is a more special, more unique band than with Mangini.   It's not about JUST talent, it's the way the parts rub together.  So to speak.)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
That's a great point, Stadler.  Chemistry is a tricky thing, and the mix isn't always better when you add more talent. 
That is why I always take the "wait and see" approach when you hear about a new band that is hyped about having all of this talent, like Sons of Apollo for example.  Talent is great, sure, but you can't always assume a lot of talent will mesh well together, and of course songwriting is always the most important aspect of any band.

I do think the chemistry in VH was really strong when Hagar joined the band.  Note the Best of Both Worlds performance from Live Without a Net where you see Sammy, Eddie and Michael Anthony all jamming and hamming it up together for practically the entire song at the front of the stage; that was the sign of a band having a blast together rather than guys from a band staying in their designated spot on stage and playing the songs.  I think things fell apart once the brothers took a bath on the Cabo Wabo deal only to see Sammy buy them out and then the shares go through the roof.  And I think the hatred for Anthony stems from him being and staying such good friends with Sammy, which Eddie probably saw and still sees as treasonous.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »
That's a great point, Stadler.  Chemistry is a tricky thing, and the mix isn't always better when you add more talent. 
That is why I always take the "wait and see" approach when you hear about a new band that is hyped about having all of this talent, like Sons of Apollo for example.  Talent is great, sure, but you can't always assume a lot of talent will mesh well together, and of course songwriting is always the most important aspect of any band.

I do think the chemistry in VH was really strong when Hagar joined the band.  Note the Best of Both Worlds performance from Live Without a Net where you see Sammy, Eddie and Michael Anthony all jamming and hamming it up together for practically the entire song at the front of the stage; that was the sign of a band having a blast together rather than guys from a band staying in their designated spot on stage and playing the songs.  I think things fell apart once the brothers took a bath on the Cabo Wabo deal only to see Sammy buy them out and then the shares go through the roof.  And I think the hatred for Anthony stems from him being and staying such good friends with Sammy, which Eddie probably saw and still sees as treasonous.

Totally not arguing with you, but does "having a blast" make for good music?  I'm not sure it does; I think it only makes for good music if that "having a blast" also means "being honest with each other".    Bono and Edge are - supposedly - best friends, but the band has been open about their disagreement over The Joshua Tree, and look what we got (one of the greatest albums of all time).   Achtung Baby! almost led to the end of the band and... for me, their second best album ever.

Dave and Roger; it's not a coincidence that their best albums came when they were butting heads most, but before it really turned sour.   Roger almost had no choice but to acquiesce to David when the product was "Comfortably Numb" or all of "Wish You Were Here".  (Hell, even when it turned sour, it still had it's moments, like the solo in "The Final Cut".)   

When were the Stones under the most personal turmoil?  The run from Let It Bleed through Exile On Main Street; I defy you to find a list of the Stones' "best" albums that don't contain either Sticky Fingers or Beggar's Banquet. 

Even the prototypical "buddy" band, Rush, I cite that moment when Neil worked all day on his drum parts, and the band (and Nick) thought it lacked a little energy.  They were honest with Neil, Neil didn't like it but respected that they cared enough to BE honest, and went back in and nailed the crap out of the song. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »

Totally not arguing with you, but does "having a blast" make for good music? I'm not sure it does; I think it only makes for good music if that "having a blast" also means "being honest with each other".    Bono and Edge are - supposedly - best friends, but the band has been open about their disagreement over The Joshua Tree, and look what we got (one of the greatest albums of all time).   Achtung Baby! almost led to the end of the band and... for me, their second best album ever.

Dave and Roger; it's not a coincidence that their best albums came when they were butting heads most, but before it really turned sour.   Roger almost had no choice but to acquiesce to David when the product was "Comfortably Numb" or all of "Wish You Were Here".  (Hell, even when it turned sour, it still had it's moments, like the solo in "The Final Cut".)   

When were the Stones under the most personal turmoil?  The run from Let It Bleed through Exile On Main Street; I defy you to find a list of the Stones' "best" albums that don't contain either Sticky Fingers or Beggar's Banquet. 

Even the prototypical "buddy" band, Rush, I cite that moment when Neil worked all day on his drum parts, and the band (and Nick) thought it lacked a little energy.  They were honest with Neil, Neil didn't like it but respected that they cared enough to BE honest, and went back in and nailed the crap out of the song.

Not necessarily.  As you pointed out, some of the greatest albums ever were made by bands who were not getting along that great at the time for whatever reasons.  I was simply pointing out before that there seemed to be good chemistry in the band in the early Van Hagar years.  That's all. :P

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2020, 04:56:15 AM »
Side 1 of Van Halen I, no contest.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2020, 03:20:50 PM »
VH II

side 1!!!  but I voted fror side 2,,,LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »
VH II

I voted for Side 2, but that's a great album all the way around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
Looks like some are still not actually reading the thread, otherwise you'd see that you can vote for up to 3 options, hence the thread title asking for favorite album sides. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
I did vote for 3!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 03:59:10 PM »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »
VH II

I voted for Side 2, but that's a great album all the way around.

OH YEA
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:46 AM »
I did vote for 3!

That is definitely not the best VH album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »
I did vote for 3!

That is definitely not the best VH album.

But it's still better that Diver Down.

*shots fired*

:P :P

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
I've got a soft spot for VH3, it's certainly no masterpiece but I like it, so yeah, it's probably better than Diver Down.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
I’d take Dave's Eat ‘em And Smile over any VH album.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
Oh that's a hard one for me, seeing as I love all their albums (yes that includes Van Hagar and Van Cherone), but I guess I'm torn between Side 1 of VH1 and Side 1 of Fair Warning.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"