Author Topic: Bitch and whine about how COVID-19 is effing up your life  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Bitch and whine about how COVID-19 is effing up your life
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2020, 06:53:47 AM »
So California is still charging 10 cents per grocery bag AND we are not allowed to bring our own bags.  Nice.

They are their own sovereign nation; they can do what they want.  ;)  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2020, 06:57:22 AM »
I love working from home.  And it's pretty common where I work even before the pandemic.

We always have everyone mute themselves if they aren't talking.  You'd be surprised how much noise breathing can make through a microphone :).  Or keyboard typing for that matter.  And if we have extra large meetings, everyone is automatically muted and you have to dial a code to unmute yourself, and then when you're done speaking you are immediately muted again.

Belongs in the irritating thread, but nothing is as annoying to me as the "tic tic tic" of typing while someone is talking on the phone.  I get it; notes, edits to a relevant document, etc., but the "mute" button is not at the same difficulty as removing a gall bladder or re-gearing a transmission.  Hit it.

Also, and more light-hearted, in this burgeoning era of video conferencing, I've become fascinated with glassware/mugs.  What people drink out of.  Only band I've seen so far is The Beatles (not me) but it's fun to note.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2020, 07:34:17 AM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2020, 07:39:31 AM »
This sucks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/business/coronavirus-destroying-food.html

Goddamn.  The indirect effects of COVID are staggering.

Can someone who subscribes to NYT summarize?

Many farms in the world exist for no reason other than to supply hotels and restaurants with food. Hotels and restaurants are in the shitter right now, and farms are destroying thousands of tons (literally) of food that they can't unload to businesses. I have a friend in CA who told me a farm near him was selling 50lb crates of tomatoes for $5 each.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »
Meanwhile grocery stores can barely keep food on the shelves.  Sell it to them!  I have to go shopping right when they open to get the most stuff.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »
Meanwhile grocery stores can barely keep food on the shelves.  Sell it to them!  I have to go shopping right when they open to get the most stuff.
No kidding. I find it hard to believe we're eating less as a country right now. God know's we're comfort eating a ton of extra crap and making more exciting dinners than we normally do just because we have the time on our hands.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »
No kidding. I find it hard to believe we're eating less as a country right now. God know's we're comfort eating a ton of extra crap and making more exciting dinners than we normally do just because we have the time on our hands.

Reading the article in full, it's easy to see the conundrum. Not everyone will cook with fresh vegetables the way that restaurants and hotels do.  Not everyone will by 50lb bags of onions or asparagus.  Think of all the milk that Starbucks would use (it's mentioned specifically in the article)  It's not quite as black and white to say that people are still eating, so let's have the suppliers get their product into the mouths of people simply in different ways.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
The grocery store will dump out that 50lb bag on onions and let you buy just one by the pound. But I get your point. People do cook differently and buy food differently than restaurants do. But it still seems.like we should be able to find a way to use it!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2020, 05:58:07 PM »
The grocery store will dump out that 50lb bag on onions and let you buy just one by the pound. But I get your point. People do cook differently and buy food differently than restaurants do. But it still seems.like we should be able to find a way to use it!

What about sell what you can then give the rest to homeless shelters? If you’re gonna throw it out anyway, why not give it to those who can’t afford to buy it?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2020, 06:03:05 PM »
I think a lot of these plants are having all kinds of people issues in production and transportation.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »

What about sell what you can then give the rest to homeless shelters? If you’re gonna throw it out anyway, why not give it to those who can’t afford to buy it?

Suggest people read the entire article. It addresses the challenges and limitations of this as a solution.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:57 AM »

Reading the article in full, it's easy to see the conundrum. Not everyone will cook with fresh vegetables the way that restaurants and hotels do.  Not everyone will by 50lb bags of onions or asparagus.  Think of all the milk that Starbucks would use (it's mentioned specifically in the article)  It's not quite as black and white to say that people are still eating, so let's have the suppliers get their product into the mouths of people simply in different ways.

This sort of baffles me, though.  My wife's ex will bitch to anyone who will listen (and to many who won't) about how little cash he has, about how she's "bleeding him blind" with their kids (mofo, please; I've only been around five years and I'd LOVE to true up with you some time).   And yet, every time my step son goes over there, it's "pizza", or "McDonald's" or "Red Robin"...  I cook AT LEAST four nights a week (we do that Home Chef stuff) and it's like anything else: you make the time for it.   How much effort is it to buy a bag of rolls, a 5lb block of ground beef, and make your own "Red Robin", for probably 20% of the cost?   Take one of those fresh tomatoes and slice it for the burger.   Take a fucking potato, slice it into strips, throw it in the oven for 20 minutes with salt and pepper and you have half-assed fries, and you're there.   You can do that seven nights a week and spend less than one visit to Red Robin (especially if you drink, and he doesn't miss an opportunity to drink, I can assure you).

I call bullshit on the time too; it takes the same amount of time to load everyone in the car, drive them to Mickey D's, sit in the drive-through, and haul all that grease and salt back to your house; cook your burger and god forbid talk to your wife and kids while you're doing it.   

/Rant.  Sorry.  :)   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2020, 07:30:25 AM »
I'm with ya 100% on that, Bill. Far too many people just want the 'easy' path ... on a multitude of things.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2020, 05:38:28 PM »
It's more like wive's exes are usually fucking assholes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »
Got laid off again. Basically i brought up the fact that the work had been inconsistent, and with being less thanfull time... Asked if it would be kosher to claim unemployment for that week and the weeks in general where they have little work for me (since they want me to claim actual hours worked, instead of paying me for full time in spite of the work load.

I also think they are realizing that the amount of actual work they have / will have will not be enough to keep me on for the next couple months until things go back to normal.

Oh well. Back to unemployment.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2020, 08:01:42 AM »
Well since I'm "essential" my life is pretty much the same except for the fact that everything fun I usually do outside of work is cancelled.

Also work has been fun since I work in a grocery store. Our store is letting people opt out of working during this and their job is waiting for them when they're ready to come back. Which is nice but now we're short about 15 people. The other day I was doing about 4 jobs at the same time because there were so many holes in the line-up for that day. We were also absurdly busy which was really fun with the short staff.

Also with 2 members testing positive and the possibility of the extension of the stay at home advisory I think its a safe assumption that the Testament show I wanted to go to in may is probably cancelled. I know it's a petty thing to complain about in the grand scheme of things but I haven't been to many concerts in my life due to usually not having the funding to go. Now I've some spending money to spare and everything is cancelled.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:07:44 AM by ozzy554 »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:18 AM »
I have mixed emotions about the possible safe at home lifted effective May 1st in Tennessee.  Probably best to extend thru May.  I will have to end work from home, but our 401k and annuities may take a hit similar or worse than 2007 if the economy does not get going soon.

The wife and I are planning a 17 day train tour of Great Britain the spring of 2021.  The wife is from Liverpool and Derby and has only been back 1 time in 50 years.  I told her we have the money and this may be our last chance before her knees get worse.

When we do open up to eat out, I will probably tip our waitresses really well. 

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »
When we do open up to eat out, I will probably tip our waitresses really well.

As a career restaurant worker, I love seeing this, and hope everyone follows suite. Servers and bartenders are getting creamed right now, and many are very unsure if they'll have a job to return to.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2020, 09:11:51 AM »
I need to replace my ancient desktop ASAP but no one has laptops in stock. All my business records etc are on it. Need to get them on the cloud I guess.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2020, 02:33:21 AM »
I know this doesn't really concern anyone but me personally, but since the thread is about bitching and whining about COVID, here's the thing that bothers me the most at this moment. I have the good fortune of people able to work from home and not losing my job (teacher) any time soon. My family and friends are healthy so far, so that's good new too - I'm sorry for everyone who is dealing with loved ones getting ill right now - so as far as direct impact of the COVID, there's not a lot to bitch about, I'll simply have to deal with staying home and adhering with th social distancing rules in my country.

However, my father lives on the other side of the world (literally, 13 hour direct flight) and has done so for the past year. He works there. In the last year I visited him once and he occasionally comes back to work here, around once every two months, and I would meet up with him for a lunch or a dinner. Right now, the place he lives has very strict corona rules. Everybody who enters the country (that would include him when he would go on a business trip and come back) has to go into quarantine for 4(!) weeks. Needless to say, he isn't going anywhere and it's kind-of impossible for me to go there too. Yes, I can do the FaceTime or Skype thing with him, but it's not the same thing. I have no idea when I'll be able to see him in real life again and neither does he. He's in good health and so is his wife, so that's good news, they're doing fine and are able to do pretty much whatever they want, but under strict adherence of rules there, so it's not as if they are 'locked up', but at the moment they can't really leave the country without running into problems and I can't go there. Might seem trivial to some of you, but I wanted to get that off my chest.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:42:50 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2020, 05:19:35 AM »
Not trivial at all man.  Whether it's 13 minutes, or 13 hours, the lack of being able to physically see friends and family is a drain on everyone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2020, 07:08:46 AM »
My grandson had his third birthday Sunday.   There's something dystopian, almost out of Philip K. Dick, that we all got in cars, and drove by him, waiting and yelling, while he stood in the back of his daddy's pickup truck waving at us, wondering why we were just driving by and not stopping to see him.   Add to that that his grandmother (his mom's mom) was standing there with a phone while his daddy was on Facetime from fucking Afghanistan, and...

Well, I get called an old man a lot around here - rightfully so - but whether you thing 2020 is better or 1970 is better, there's a level of "complication" in 2020 that I have not yet decided is a good thing or a bad thing.   All I know is I hope that little boy remembers the love that went into yesterday and not anything else. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2020, 07:30:00 AM »
My grandson had his third birthday Sunday.   There's something dystopian, almost out of Philip K. Dick, that we all got in cars, and drove by him, waiting and yelling, while he stood in the back of his daddy's pickup truck waving at us, wondering why we were just driving by and not stopping to see him.   Add to that that his grandmother (his mom's mom) was standing there with a phone while his daddy was on Facetime from fucking Afghanistan, and...

Well, I get called an old man a lot around here - rightfully so - but whether you thing 2020 is better or 1970 is better, there's a level of "complication" in 2020 that I have not yet decided is a good thing or a bad thing.   All I know is I hope that little boy remembers the love that went into yesterday and not anything else. 
Yeah, this kind of stuff really sucks and is kind of surreal. My parents swung by on Easter to drop off some candy and stuff for my kids, They stood on one side of the front yard and we stood on the other and talked for a bit. The kids don't really get it and are asking all the time to go to the store, or the playground, or to see their grandparents. It's hard to explain why we're not supposed to do those things even though we're not sick.

Offline emtee

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2020, 07:33:58 AM »
Haven't been able to hug or snuggle with my granddaughter
for 6 weeks. They surprised me and came over to sing Happy
Birthday from the end of the driveway. My Grandaughter cried
and said, "hug Papa!" so that made my eyes well up. Uugghh!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:12 AM »
Yeah, this is the aspect of things that is truly fucked up - trying to explain all this to young children.  I'm so grateful I've got adult-aged kids, and no grandkids.

Hugs to all of you that do.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2020, 08:18:53 AM »
The little girl across the street from us had a birthday the other day.  We woke up and there were signs all over their yard.  Happy Birthday!  With balloons and decorations and stuff.  Then came the "parade" later in the morning.  My wife and I work from home, so we're here in the basement and there are lots of cars honking their horns outside.  People cruising down the street, cars all decorated with ballons and stuff, hanging out the windows.  I watched for a while.

We live on a dead-end street, so the really fun part came next as they all got to the end of the street.  There's no circle or bigger area to turn around; the street just ends because there used to be railroad tracks on the side of the fence.  So there was mass confusion as people took turns trying to turn around in the driveways of the houses at the end of the street.  People started honking their horns again, presumably in jest since it was pretty obvious that it was a clusterfuck, but then more people started and it was even louder than before.  But I was so busy laughing, watching the mess at the end of the street, that I didn't care.  Hey, it was a fun diversion.  These days, you gotta find your entertainment where you can.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »
I'm sorry to be an emotional drama queen, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to remember that little boy's face in that moment for the rest of my life.   It was one of those expressions that strike you; joy, but with a whiff, a thread of something else.  Confusion?  Melancholy? Dissappointment?  Nothing and it's my imagination?   I don't know and I'll never know, but it was striking.  I've lost it twice since then thinking about it.   

Again, sorry. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2020, 08:47:52 AM »
I see nothing to apologize for.  Being emotional in the face of all of these changes is very human.  There is no shame in that.

I get very emotional when I think about all the people dying alone in hospitals and their families just aching to be with them to at least hold their hand.  When I read about how very busy doctors and nurses take the time to comfort them in their last moments.  The toll it takes on them too.

I was with my mother when she passed on a ventilator a year and a half ago.  It was horrible but at least I got to be there.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:55 AM »
I'm sorry to be an emotional drama queen, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to remember that little boy's face in that moment for the rest of my life.   It was one of those expressions that strike you; joy, but with a whiff, a thread of something else.  Confusion?  Melancholy? Dissappointment?  Nothing and it's my imagination?   I don't know and I'll never know, but it was striking.  I've lost it twice since then thinking about it.   

Again, sorry. 
No need to apologize. We get it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2020, 09:41:03 AM »
I'm tired of the neighborhood police - neighbors sitting in their homes and complaining about every little thing happening outside their home.  I have a neighbor with whom I've had a few negative conversations with over the last 10 years.  They get irritated by something mundane, like me mowing the lawn while they're having lunch on their deck, approach me and tell me I shouldn't be doing it. 

Their side yard borders my driveway.  They have a line of small trees/wild brush on their property line.  In the summer, it blooms and provides some privacy, but it gets very overgrown very quickly.  They have NEVER cleaned it up in the last 10 years.  So every summer, I trim back my side so I can run my mower past it and maintain a safe view so I can see the street when backing my car out of the driveway.  I get tired of having to do it, so at times, I'll just cut the brush down and toss it back under the growth.  They obviously don't give a shit about maintaining it...why should I be paying to get rid of the brush? 

So yesterday, she comes over and starts bitching at me about throwing the brush back on the ground.  She tells me that if I find it to be a nuisance, that's my deal, but I can't be putting it back on "HER PROPERTY" because it's on my side of the property line.  She then reprimands me for cutting back "THE VILLAGE's" side (i.e. the brush facing the new sidewalks) and doing the same thing.  Uh, the village isn't going to come around and maintain stuff on your yard.  Hell, I'm the one shoveling the sidewalk a block past my house and on the side of your house every time it snows, just because you don't do it.

I countered her reprimand by saying that if she doesn't like it, she can pay to have someone clean it up, and that it becomes my responsibility when my kids want to go down the sidewalk and I don't want them poking their eyes out on the branches.  She just reiterates that she has lupus and can't be picking up the brush, and that she has me on video and will call the police.  I just laughed and said "go ahead." 

I went out after lunch and picked up the branches that I tossed on the ground.  Yes, I know I was being un-neighborly, but they've never been nice to my family.
 I know the general rule - whatever is over your property line is yours to maintain, but to get so nitpicky over this stuff is insane.  Her husband never does anything outside, and she gardens and tends to the landscaping.  If you're not going to take care of your own overgrowth, or have someone do it for you, don't complain when I do it my way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
One word: FENCE

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2020, 10:20:11 AM »
One word: FENCE

I was thinking a Lousiana Hot Pocket, but that's just me (that would be my made-up name for a flaming bag of dog poop on their stoop.)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »
Haha.  I wish I could.  A fence wouldn't be a bad idea and I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive.  I already have a privacy fence around my back yard.  This would extend from that side of the privacy fence and continue to run down the length of my driveway and a small portion of the side yard.  Definitely an idea to consider!

** Update - I spoke with the permit department of my village.  I could extend the privacy fence through the side yard to the front of my house, but can't bring it down the length of the driveway to block the view of the foliage from the neighbor's yard.  I'd have to have a split-rail fence, which doesn't solve the problem since it would just grow under and through the fence.  Oh well...it was a good idea!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:35:46 PM by Grappler »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2020, 12:43:45 PM »
I really want to quit my job. Prior to this Covid stuff, jobs were plentiful, and I would have strongly considered quitting without anything else lined up and travel a bunch over the spring and summer while looking for something new. As things stand now, hiring has slowed down a lot (though not completely) and there's no way in hell I leave without something else lined up first. I'm just so ready to be done here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
Haha.  I wish I could.  A fence wouldn't be a bad idea and I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive.  I already have a privacy fence around my back yard.  This would extend from that side of the privacy fence and continue to run down the length of my driveway and a small portion of the side yard.  Definitely an idea to consider!

** Update - I spoke with the permit department of my village.  I could extend the privacy fence through the side yard to the front of my house, but can't bring it down the length of the driveway to block the view of the foliage from the neighbor's yard.  I'd have to have a split-rail fence, which doesn't solve the problem since it would just grow under and through the fence.  Oh well...it was a good idea!

Then Hot Pocket it is!  You'll thank me later.  Post video, too.  We'll get a kick out of it.