Author Topic: Help me name my unborn son!  (Read 2552 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Help me name my unborn son!
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Bosk
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 01:41:30 AM »
My fourth son is due in October and we're struggling to come up with name ideas. I'd love some suggestions!

My other three sons are Max, Ezra, and Eli. We'd like something that fits well with their names. Clearly we like short names and classic or old fashioned names.

I should also add that we're from Minnesota and have German and Scandinavian heritage. Not that we need names that fit those molds, but we're unlikely to choose a Hispanic or Asian name.

Any suggestions?

One of my nephews is called Eli and his siblings are called Isaac, Issa, Nuri and i forgot the last one  :biggrin:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 05:53:18 AM »
Rasmus
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »
I think a name should also sounds well with the surname. A name in itself might be nice, but roll off the tongue awkardly when pronounced along with the surname.

I agree with MirrorMask about considering how it sounds with the last name. The rhythm of a name is an important consideration.

A few naming rules we tried to follow in our family:

- Avoid popular names – Your kid will forever go by "John W." while in school because there's five other kids with that name.
- Avoid names that end in "W" (per your last name) – The names blur together and people will often have to be corrected.
- Don't forget to consider the middle name and how the entire name flows.
- Avoid "normal" names with irregular spelling (like Stevynn, Camren or Jaycob) – Your kid will have to pronounce or spell their name to everyone forever.
- Avoid a name you're just going to shorten to a nickname anyway (ie "Let's name him Dominic – we'll call him Dom!"). Don't be afraid to just go with the shorter name.
- Make sure you pick a name that is satisfying when yelling it. A friend named their kid Lincoln, which I didn't initially like, until I practiced yelling LIN-CAAAAANNNNN! and it totally clicked.
- Names don't always have to "mean something." They can just be fun names.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 02:53:50 PM »
Dovahkiin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »
Zaphod

Fistandantilus

Inigo

Podrick

Alejandro

Jeremy   ;D
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 08:08:07 PM »
That last one.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »

- Avoid names that end in "W" (per your last name) – The names blur together and people will often have to be corrected.

So says Cintus Supremus!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:03 PM »
I think a name should also sounds well with the surname. A name in itself might be nice, but roll off the tongue awkardly when pronounced along with the surname.

I agree with MirrorMask about considering how it sounds with the last name. The rhythm of a name is an important consideration.

Oh man, if I went by that logic when naming my own children, none of my children would have names  :lol.  My last name is Swedish and it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue in ANY context.

But for those who have more normal last names, this is probably good advice.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
Rasmus

NO way!

The poor kid will be called Assmus in school.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 08:47:05 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 08:56:52 PM »
Hey lordxizor, big congrats on the announcement!  I'm super happy for you.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2020, 12:53:38 AM »
Zaphod

Fistandantilus

Inigo

Podrick

Alejandro

Jeremy   ;D

I like you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cintus Supremus

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2020, 07:06:16 AM »

So says Cintus Supremus!  :lol

HAH! Clearly I'm speaking from experience here.  ;D

Rasmus

NO way!

The poor kid will be called Assmus in school.

That actually brings up another really good point. If you have a name you like, check to see how easy it is to come up with less than flattering nickname. Rhyming would be the obvious way (ie "Merv the Perv"), so a good rule of thumb is if you can rip the name the shreds by hardly thinking about it, you can bet some 9 year old asshole on the playground will be able to as well.