Author Topic: Bitch and whine about how COVID-19 is effing up your life  (Read 10729 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Bitch and whine about how COVID-19 is effing up your life
« on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Let's face it, everything's fucked up right now, everybody's going through some shit to one degree or another, but nobody wants to hear your bitching and whining.  And most of us have the good grace to not bitch and whine in the Coronavirus thread because we know nobody wants to hear it.

But it still feels good to get some of that off of your chest.  This is the thread for that.  Let it out.  No judgement here.

----------

Our band finally, FUCKING FINALLY after five years, reached the point where we had certified pros in every position.  By February we had half a dozen gigs already scheduled for this year and more to come.  This was going to be our year!  Opening the county fair, main stage.  Gigs in some of the biggest venues in the tri-county area.  We'd made the big time at last!

We've already cancelled three gigs, the next two aren't looking great, and basically it looks like the rest of the year is fucked.  No one knows how long the quarrantine/lockdown will last.  Life is on hold until they find a cure, because what are we gonna do, just wait a while and then go back to life as usual, start spreading it around again and watch more people die?  No.

I don't know which is worse, having shit happen when you're already down, or having something really great to look forward to, only to have to all taken away.  We finally did it.  Then all this shit started.  Fuck.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Bitch and whine about how COVID-19 is effing up your life
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:21:12 PM »
I had money saved and was home-hunting when the shit hit the fan with this. The timing could not have been worse from a personal standpoint, in the spirit of this thread, as I know millions have it much worse, and that is not even counting the many who have already died from the virus. :( 

I guess the only silver lining, assuming I still have the same job when this is all over (or calmed down drastically) and that the virus doesn't get me and kill me, is that I will have even more money saved x-number of months from now when I can re-start the search.  I shudder to think of the state the economy will be in then, however.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »
My only really big bitch/whine is that I have absolutely no clue what my industry will look like when this is over. I think of all industries, the restaurant/food service one is going to change the most drastically, with I'd gather at least half of it closing for good. As for my side of it, I work in corporate cafeterias, and I have this scary feeling that telecommuting is going to be a bigger thing coming out of all this, which makes my services much less desirable.

I really hope to not have to go back to the hotel side of it, but I'm afraid that's going to be the only one that won't be totally decimated.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 11:51:02 PM »
My only really big bitch/whine is that I have absolutely no clue what my industry will look like when this is over. I think of all industries, the restaurant/food service one is going to change the most drastically, with I'd gather at least half of it closing for good. As for my side of it, I work in corporate cafeterias, and I have this scary feeling that telecommuting is going to be a bigger thing coming out of all this, which makes my services much less desirable.

I really hope to not have to go back to the hotel side of it, but I'm afraid that's going to be the only one that won't be totally decimated.
I'm in the market for a personal chef   :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »

I'm not cheap.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 12:06:27 AM »

I'm not cheap.
I can pay you in Slimjims!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:16:45 AM »
I had money saved and was home-hunting when the shit hit the fan with this. The timing could not have been worse from a personal standpoint, in the spirit of this thread, as I know millions have it much worse, and that is not even counting the many who have already died from the virus. :( 

I guess the only silver lining, assuming I still have the same job when this is all over (or calmed down drastically) and that the virus doesn't get me and kill me, is that I will have even more money saved x-number of months from now when I can re-start the search.  I shudder to think of the state the economy will be in then, however.

I'm in a similar situation.  Have money stashed and this year was going to be the year I purchase a home.  Just have to wait now, but I'm actually optimistic that on the other side buying a house will be better for guys like us with the economy in the shit.  Or it could be much worse, what would I know.

I can't complain, I still have my full time job, but all my staff are casual and I had to stand them all down.  I've kept like 4 around but because they are not full time and are casual, the company wants them gone.  Spent two days doing a business case to allow them to stay in some capacity or else on the other side, we're screwed with no foundation of staff.  The thing is, 2 of them are in a full time role but just can't get converted to full time.

What grind my gears, is that assholes that are full time can work from home and do sweet fuck all and have no need to be still getting paid, yet casual hard working people doing productive work, have to be shunned just because they are casual.  made a hell of a business case they won't be expecting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 01:06:46 AM »
I can't really complain; my company was one of certainly many that had a work that "couldn't be done remotely", until we found out that d'uh, if you really want, you can actually do it remotely. So I got back home with the PC and monitor from the office and I haven't lost a single day of work and consequently of paycheck.

All I lost was the money of the subway - I pay a monthly fixed fare that allows me unlimited trips for all of the month, so I basically wasted it since we came back home in mid March, and in the last days I was using the car anyway.

And of course I lost social life and concerts, along with the chance of little trips in the weekend. But, concerts aside, I can't really complain, I know that many, many people had it way worse.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 03:20:37 AM »
This was supposed to be a year of lots of little weekend getaways, a few of which were supposed to be just my wife and me, which we've been terrible at doing over the years. I fear we won't be able to do any of them, but maybe things will get better later in the summer. My wife is pregnant (oops!) which means that if we miss this summer, she won't be willing to leave the baby for a weekend for at least a couple years. That's just the way she is with our kids. This was supposed to be the year we start focusing on us more instead of the kids. There are still ways to do that given the state of things, but between having to be home and her being tired as hell from being pregnant, it's not really going  to happen like I was hoping.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 05:24:03 AM »
I feel terrible listing some of these because of the way others have it in comparison, but here goes:

- I have two jobs and my weekend one got cut, costing me $500 a month.
- I started building a gazebo the weekend before shit hit the fan, and now my patio (in view to the whole neighborhood) has been a construction site frozen in time for weeks.
- Filming of Battlebots season 5 has been delayed
- I was going to attend the Monster Jam World Finals in Florida, but that's been canned
- My parents are bored out of their minds and are in constant communication. I loved them to death, but there's only so many times I can tell my mother I don't think I have the plague.
- Costco has been bundling their prime cuts knowing people will buy anything right now. I don't need 4 or 5 ribeyes. Just 3
- Vape shops are closed and I'm down to my final bottle of juice
- I'm paying $180 per month to a parking garage I'm not parking in. If I cancel and want to get back in, I get put on a waiting list.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 05:42:15 AM »

The Vape shop right next door to my office is still open. Want me to send you something? I don't know if they have a menu, but here is their website. https://www.ivapeslc.net/
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 05:49:32 AM »

The Vape shop right next door to my office is still open. Want me to send you something? I don't know if they have a menu, but here is their website. https://www.ivapeslc.net/

Thanks, but I think I'm going to use it as a forced opportunity to quit  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 05:52:55 AM »
Mrs. P and I had a Viking Mediterranean cruise booked for May 6th. Twenty-six days from Barcelona to Athens with an extra 4 days in Greece touring the coast and historic sites. Luxury suite, gold liquor package, the works. It was planned as a celebration of Mrs. P retirement, my semi-retirement, and our 20th anniversary. This is a huge bucket list item for her and we booked it a year and a half ago. Of course, Viking cancelled the cruise last week. We've rescheduled for the fall of 2021.

Disappointing to have all our excitement squashed, but complaining about it seems pretty low to me. I'm not proud.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 05:53:35 AM »

Thanks, but I think I'm going to use it as a forced opportunity to quit  :lol

Probably a wise move.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 06:39:46 AM »
I need new shoes but the store is closed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:18 AM »
So we are lucky, but there's a couple things...

1. As most of you know, I have a special needs son. He is a senior in high school. This was his graduation year. He has worked his ass off (as have we) to get him to this point, and he even passed his MCAS exams last year, meaning he qualifies for a diploma, and not just a certificate. To think that he may not have a graduation "day" is crushing us. We're not sure how many moments like this he'll have in his life and the fact that the whole thing will not likely happen is very sad. We had been planning a big party and we really wanted him to experience the whole...experience.

Our trip to Italy (yeah I know..) this summer was his graduation present, as all he wanted to do was see the Coliseum.

2. My parents live in Florida. They come up (near my brother in NH) every summer. We almost lost my father a couple years ago to pneumonia and he has a heart stent. He just turned 74 on Monday. On one hand, my mother wants them to buckle down and stay in their house down there all summer. But my father, fearing if he gets it, he's dead, wants to come up anyway because as he told my mother, he at least wants to die near family. WTF?

3. 401k. 'Nuff said.

But we are fortunate. My wife and I are both working. Her from home under doctor's orders. She has an autoimmune disease and is 2nd in charge at a Independent/Assisted living facility. But she is home working her ass off. Me, I work in a Grocery store, so we're both getting paid. I'm just praying I don't bring the shit home.

We have had more dinners together as a family in the last 3 weeks than we've had in a long time.

Oh, and I have plenty of toilet paper. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 06:57:39 AM »

I'm so happy the dispensaries are still open in my state.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 07:04:40 AM »

I'm not cheap.
I can pay you in Slimjims!

:rollin :rollin :rollin
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 07:07:49 AM »
I feel terrible listing some of these because of the way others have it in comparison, but here goes:

- I have two jobs and my weekend one got cut, costing me $500 a month.
- I started building a gazebo the weekend before shit hit the fan, and now my patio (in view to the whole neighborhood) has been a construction site frozen in time for weeks.
- Filming of Battlebots season 5 has been delayed
- I was going to attend the Monster Jam World Finals in Florida, but that's been canned
- My parents are bored out of their minds and are in constant communication. I loved them to death, but there's only so many times I can tell my mother I don't think I have the plague.
- Costco has been bundling their prime cuts knowing people will buy anything right now. I don't need 4 or 5 ribeyes. Just 3
- I'm paying $180 per month to a parking garage I'm not parking in. If I cancel and want to get back in, I get put on a waiting list.

LITERALLY every day.   And my phone "announces" the caller, but pronounces "Michael" as "Mick-lee", so I get "[Last Name] Mick-lee" and it's like a trigger.   But they're 81 and 83 (well, this year they will be) and I feel like a piece of crap for feelings I can't really control.  Especially since he's one of the "high risk" group with his various illnesses.

The other thing for me is my youngest; he's on the spectrum, so he's in special classes and the lack of school routine is maddening.  Yeah, I know, I could be instituting that, but it's very hard, especially since even though I'm one of those assholes that generally does sweet fuck all (just poking fun, Wolfking!!!) I've actually been very busy through this. 

And concerts; I've only had one ticketed show actually cancelled, but I had a decent slate of potential shows this year. 

Finally, I got my Jeep running... but not driving, so I was hoping to finish the transmission work and get it driving.  I'm still doing that, but I have to order EVERYTHING through the mail - even dumb shit like bolts and stuff - and with shipments haphazard at best, I can't really plan my garage time.   It was a PERFECT day yesterday to go out and turn a wrench for a couple of hours after work, but I'm waiting on a bell-housing and a bearing puller (I couldn't even use the bread trick because I have no bread to spare and not the right size bolt).   

But...  I do have the perspective, and am just taking advantage of the thread itself. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 07:09:20 AM »
Our trip to Italy (yeah I know..) this summer was his graduation present, as all he wanted to do was see the Coliseum.

It's been there since almost 2000 years, it's gonna hold out another year or two  :tup

But I understand how sucky the situation must be, especially when the trip planned was not exactly in the backyard......
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 07:09:58 AM »
So we are lucky, but there's a couple things...

1. As most of you know, I have a special needs son. He is a senior in high school. This was his graduation year. He has worked his ass off (as have we) to get him to this point, and he even passed his MCAS exams last year, meaning he qualifies for a diploma, and not just a certificate. To think that he may not have a graduation "day" is crushing us. We're not sure how many moments like this he'll have in his life and the fact that the whole thing will not likely happen is very sad. We had been planning a big party and we really wanted him to experience the whole...experience.

2. My parents live in Florida. They come up (near my brother in NH) every summer. We almost lost my father a couple years ago to pneumonia and he has a heart stent. He just turned 74 on Monday. On one hand, my mother wants them to buckle down and stay in their house down there all summer. But my father, fearing if he gets it, he's dead, wants to come up anyway because as he told my mother, he at least wants to die near family. WTF?

3. 401k. 'Nuff said.

But we are fortunate. My wife and I are both working. Her from home under doctor's orders. She has an autoimmune disease and is 2nd in charge at a Independent/Assisted living facility. But she is home working her ass off. Me, I work in a Grocery store, so we're both getting paid. I'm just praying I don't bring the shit home.

We have had more dinners together as a family in the last 3 weeks than we've had in a long time.

I feel every word of this post.   There's no bro-hug emoji that I can see, so imagine one.  :)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »
The Family is losing a week long trip to Disney and a Resort the summer, but that will be there later in the year if we decide to go.  But the Wife and I are both still working, so we feel grateful. 
Spending all the money we save on gas with local restaurants.  Doing our best to keep them, and our waistlines, around.
The girls are doing schoolwork online, but they miss their travel softball.
I really feel bad for all the High School or College Seniors.  Their graduation Ceremonies can be rescheduled, but their final sports season, or final year with friends can't.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 07:21:09 AM »

I'm in a similar situation.  Have money stashed and this year was going to be the year I purchase a home.  Just have to wait now, but I'm actually optimistic that on the other side buying a house will be better for guys like us with the economy in the shit.  Or it could be much worse, what would I know.

From what I have heard, it will likely be a buyer's market once the economy totally hits the shitter, so I guess it will work to our advantage, but there will be so many moving parts that it is hard to say for sure, especially with so much of the immediate future being unknown.

I had bought one of those 24-packs like six weeks ago from Sam's (which I only have a membership for because my eye doctor, who is a friend of a friend, is located in Sam's and you need a membership to get in the freaking building), so I am good for a while. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »

I had bought one of those 24-packs like six weeks ago from Sam's (which I only have a membership for because my eye doctor, who is a friend of a friend, is located in Sam's and you need a membership to get in the freaking building), so I am good for a while. :lol

With all the shit you spew, I figure you'd go through a 24pk in a weekend.  :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 07:32:54 AM »

I feel every word of this post.   There's no bro-hug emoji that I can see, so imagine one.  :)

Back atcha!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »

With all the shit you spew, I figure you'd go through a 24pk in a weekend.  :P

:lol :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 07:49:16 AM »
I work from home anyway so nothing much has changed for me.

My big issue has been with my son. He is on the Autism spectrum/Aspergers along with ADHD. He was sick the week before this really hit and missed a whole week of school. Then spring break and the move to e-learning. He needs a regimented schedule to function properly. He needs classroom instruction to actually learn and pay attention. As of now, he is roughly a month behind in work. My wife has been on the phone with his psychiatrist and they are inundated with other parents of similar kids all having the same issue. He's at risk of completely blowing his school year. Meanwhile, the teachers and principal are lighting up my wife's email wanting to know where his work is which is only pissing her off more. Homeschooling/e-learning just does not work for him. It's been a pain.

My only other real complaint is I went from running the dishwasher maybe once a week to every other day now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 08:10:43 AM »
There's people dealing with death and bankruptcy all around me while I'm not, so I must count myself lucky. Nonetheless:

Both the wife and me work in the musical theatre industry; we've been the very first to stop and we'll be the very last to resume activities with God knows what new set of rules and parameters. Unless the house cats know something we don't, no one is bringing money home until - hopefully - November.

My step-daughter just graduated uni, my favourite niece gets married: no ceremony for the former, no ... marriage for the latter.

My mother is old, alone (she's a focking prideful stubborn widow, she'll never give up her indipendence and the thought of living with any of her children makes her sick. I love her to death.) and 300 kms away from me. I'm a bit worried, especially because there's a 60% chance she could kill the first "No big deal, only old people die" schmuck she encounters, with her bare hands.

My sister is a doctor in Madrid, Spain. Every evening she texts she's negative, then I call and she tells horror stories.

I feel vaguely useless and my sense of time is screwed.

No NBA

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2020, 08:14:35 AM »
Want to hear a petty whinge? I'd spent the winter months rebuilding my golf swing to compensate for a significant weight loss, strength and flexibility training I'd been doing. My timing was all off and my old swing wasn't maximizing my new strength. It was all coming together right when the hammer dropped and all the courses and driving ranges closed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2020, 08:16:03 AM »
This was the best PSU basketball team ever maybe.  They were definitely a lock to make the NCAA tournament and even had the potential to make a run.  Our best player was ~20 points away from setting the all time scoring record at the school.  And then everything got shut down so we will never get to see how the NCAA bball season will end, a real march madness I guess.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
Well, a few things for me.

- I had a trip plan in June. One of the reasons for the trip was to go to a ring making workshop. Me and my partner were gonna make our own wedding bands. The trip is now cancelled and getting married might need to be postponed. All the dates we had set aside worked perfectly and were meaningful to us, but none of that might happen anymore (not this year at least).

-Just recently I bought some new equipment to play around with Astrophotography. All the equipment is just sitting in my house right now because I can't do anything with it (plus it's been pretty cloudy anyways).

-I was also planning a move to the west coast by the end of the year, beginning of the next one. Since everything is delayed, that will certainly not happen. Since the timing has been thrown off for everything else, I'm afraid moving might need to way a few more years. But we will see how things play out.

Beyond that, I still have my job (through I wish I could work from home a few days a week), and no one in my family has gotten the virus, so everything else is great.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:22 AM »
So I've mentioned before that I was studying to take a huge 225 question exam to get my psychology license. I was supposed to take it two days ago actually, but COVID shut everything down. Now it's not for almost 3 months, and I gotta tell you.....my enthusiasm to study has been completely killed. I know it's coming up eventually, but I just have 0 motivation to study for it anymore. I feel like I've already forgotten at least 75% of everything I was ready with.

I know a lot of people are shaming others who aren't SUPER motivated during this time, but I am definitely not motivated to do much of anything. It really sucks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
I know a lot of people are shaming others who aren't SUPER motivated during this time, but I am definitely not motivated to do much of anything. It really sucks.

I'm not too motivated either, I find it very hard to be when you can't even do your job fully (in my case, my work is now coming to complete halt and I should be studying and training myself in the down time, but I'm just so unmotivated)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2020, 08:32:53 AM »
My life fortunately has not changed at all other than I just want to go back to the gym

EDIT: I broke my phone today. Fuck you, COVID
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:17:38 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
Main impacts have been:

- Lots of beam times that have been postponed or cancelled.
- Gym membership is becoming much less cost effective.
- Worried much more about my Grandparents, given they are in their 80s and 90s. Even my parents are in an at-risk group.
- I drink alone much more.

In some ways though, as peverse as it is, its had the benefit of me connecting more with old friends back in the UK since we talk much more often and game online a fair bit more. So my personal experience has been not all bad.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman