Author Topic: Echorec - new prog band, debut album The Island out now  (Read 511 times)

Offline HOF

Echorec - new prog band, debut album The Island out now
« on: May 07, 2020, 02:52:47 PM »
This is a very cool three-piece out of the UK. They can’t be older than their early 20s judging by their pictures. Their debut album The Island is available for streaming everywhere now, including YouTube. I’ve been listening to it for a couple weeks and really digging it.

The singer handles keys and guitar and does a great job on both instruments. His voice and vocal melodies are a little rough around the edges, but there is potential there. Kind of in the Jeff Buckley/Thom York/Chris Martin style of singer (not ordinarily my favorite style), but he’s not bad at all.

The drummer really drives the band. Definitely should be an up and comer judging by this performance.

Overall it’s I guess closer to the Porcupine Tree wing of prog, but I don’t feel like it’s really derivative of anything. Just great playing, guitar, drums and bass with moderate keyboard leads as well. A little Rush-ish in that regard. Not too heavy but has some teeth. Some of it sounds a little bit like Mew I guess too. They also show some feel for writing engaging longer songs (including the 17+ minute closing track).

“Darling, I” is the single of sorts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo6nTZuGM-4&list=PLgsHp-p8XjrLv-At8T9Ke_Nw6CKCNHRGf&index=4&t=0s

“Flown the Nest” is probably my favorite track:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=18gS_ISzcBE&list=PLgsHp-p8XjrLv-At8T9Ke_Nw6CKCNHRGf&index=7

Mostly it’s cool to see a young band that sounds this good, so I wanted to get this out there. So far it’s probably my favorite album released this year.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:59:16 PM by HOF »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Echorec - new prog band, debut album The Island out now
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »
I checked out a few songs and it's not bad.  Like you said, the potential is there, and I agree that the vocals and some of the vocal melodies are rough around the edges, but that stuff can always improve.  I doubt I will listen to this stuff again, but keep me posted if improvements are made in the future.

Offline HOF

Re: Echorec - new prog band, debut album The Island out now
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 09:37:30 AM »
I checked out a few songs and it's not bad.  Like you said, the potential is there, and I agree that the vocals and some of the vocal melodies are rough around the edges, but that stuff can always improve.  I doubt I will listen to this stuff again, but keep me posted if improvements are made in the future.

Glad you listened at least! They have room to grow for sure, but it’s really hooked me for whatever reason. I think partly it’s nice to hear a young prog band that isn’t just going for super-heaviness or over-the top playing. They’ve got a nice clean, natural sounding rock vibe but in a progressive package with engaging solos and just enough hooks to keep the songs in my head. Also occurs to me that some of the instrumental passages feel like something Rikard Sjoblom (Beardfish/Gungfly/Big Big Train) might come up with.

Hoping a few more people will give them a listen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:48:33 AM by HOF »