Poll

Which vocalist has the best solo album: Geoff Tate, James LaBrie or Ray Alder?

Geoff Tate
2 (5.3%)
James LaBrie
28 (73.7%)
Ray Alder
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Best solo album: Geoff Tate, James LaBrie or Ray Alder?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Best solo album: Geoff Tate, James LaBrie or Ray Alder?
« on: April 04, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
Hey, everyone!  My favorite three bands for as long as I can remember have been Queensrÿche, Dream Theater and Fates Warning, and it had me wondering which band's vocalist has the best solo album?  For me, it's close.  Geoff Tate's self-titled solo album and James LaBrie's Elements of Persuasion are both equally enjoyable (I know some of you might prefer JLB's Static Impulse or Impermanent Resonance), while Ray Alder's new solo album is just as good.  Anyway, I'm curious which singer would win a poll of best solo album?

For me, it's probably:
1) Ray Alder - What the Water Wants (2019)
2) James LaBrie - Elements of Persuasion (2005)
3) Geoff Tate - Geoff Tate (2002)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:33:01 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Volante99

Re: Best solo album: Geoff Tate, James LaBrie or Ray Alder?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
I won’t vote because I’m unfamiliar with Geoff Tate’s solo work and I’m not motivated enough to sit through it. BUT I will say I just listened to most of Ray Adler’s What the Water Wants and it’s definitely solid! Very very impressed and a nice surprise. Wow! Reminds me a lot of Parallels.

I always thought JLB’s stuff has been listenable but rather generic on the whole. There’s a couple good bangers here and there but nothing more. Mullmuzzler 1 and 2 had some good moments but similar opinion there as well.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
Geoff Tate is... Geoff Tate.  I don't know Ray Alder.  But James Labrie is :metal
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:04:10 AM »
EOP, absolutely no contest.  The Ray Alder one was very very good though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:55:39 AM »
Geoff Tate’s solo stuff is shit.
The Ray Alder album was excellent but JLB has several albums I like, and extra points for making an album where I can tolerate the growls 😱

Offline Lethean

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
Elements of Persuasion for me.  I like Ray Alder's album too though.  I wasn't a fan of Geoff Tate's solo album at all.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
JLB and it's not even close. Impermanent Resonance kicks ass
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
As much as I love Ray's album, James' last three solo records are fucking awesome. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »
The Ray Alder album was excellent but JLB has several albums I like, and extra points for making an album where I can tolerate the growls 😱

:yarr
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »

:yarr

Don't get too carried away Kade, I only said tolerate!  ;)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »
Not going to vote, because I've never heard any of Tate's or Alder's solo stuff.  I actively dislike Tate, and I don't care enough about Alder.

But I've liked all of LaBrie's solo stuff.   :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »
That Ray album is so mediocre it actually impresses me. My least favorite FW album is more enjoyable than that, although they don't have any bad albums.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 03:24:10 PM »
LaBrie's stuff is not mind-blowingly original, but it is fun, well-crafted and performed music that I get a lot of enjoyment out of. Except the Mullmuzzler albums, which I never cared much for. I loved all of EoP, and I remember when I got IR, having not heard a single note prior, and Agony came on, and I was all WTF IS THIS NONSENSE?! and then a minute or so in I was rocking out!

Haven't heard any Tate solo stuff, and don't care much for Alder's voice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
LaBrie's stuff is not mind-blowingly original, but it is fun, well-crafted and performed music that I get a lot of enjoyment out of. Except the Mullmuzzler albums, which I never cared much for. I loved all of EoP, and I remember when I got IR, having not heard a single note prior, and Agony came on, and I was all WTF IS THIS NONSENSE?! and then a minute or so in I was rocking out!

Huh. The Mullmuzzler albums are the only ones I really like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »
I've been meaning to pick up Alder's solo album.  I heard two tracks on That Drummer Guy's show, and I really like what I heard.  I just haven't been buying CD's recently.   So until I hear the whole thing, I'm declining to vote.

I will say that EoP is the best of all the rest by a large margin.   I really like the Mullmuzzler albums (so sad about the passing of both Gardner brothers....someone needs to make a documentary about them) but EoP was just an AMAZING album.  I still spin that album constantly.   Every song is 10/10 for me.   But Static Impulse was a huge drop off.  I was so disappointed by the entire album that I didn't even bother with IR, as the lead off single made it sound like more of the same thing we got on SI.    :tdwn
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 03:50:52 PM »
Couldn't care less about GT's solo work.  Ray Alder's solo project is really good, but he hasn't done enough to keep up with James.

Geoff Tate is... Geoff Tate.  I don't know Ray Alder.  But James Labrie is :metal

Not a Fates Warning fan?  You're missin' out man.  They are a treasure trove of prog metal.  Not to mention Alder's side projects along the way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:56:06 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »

Exactly how I have them Mike. I like all three, but if forced to rank, there you go. Alder's is the clear winner to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »

Exactly how I have them Mike. I like all three, but if forced to rank, there you go. Alder's is the clear winner to me.

Likewise. I really liked Ray's solo album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 12:07:27 AM »
I've been meaning to pick up Alder's solo album.  I heard two tracks on That Drummer Guy's show, and I really like what I heard.  I just haven't been buying CD's recently.   So until I hear the whole thing, I'm declining to vote.

I will say that EoP is the best of all the rest by a large margin.   I really like the Mullmuzzler albums (so sad about the passing of both Gardner brothers....someone needs to make a documentary about them) but EoP was just an AMAZING album.  I still spin that album constantly.   Every song is 10/10 for me.   But Static Impulse was a huge drop off.  I was so disappointed by the entire album that I didn't even bother with IR, as the lead off single made it sound like more of the same thing we got on SI.    :tdwn

This is pretty much how I feel.  I love the Mullmuzzlers and EoP and didn't like the next two much at all. 

I recommend Ray Alder's album.  I like EoP better, but his solo album is really nice.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »
EOP is James' best solo album to date, it has great songwriting and the lineup is amazing. Easy vote.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."