Author Topic: Concert Venues- First, Last, Best, Worst  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Concert Venues- First, Last, Best, Worst
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2020, 07:28:44 AM »
This Is Us?

Come on now.  I don't watch that show but I know about it.

Probably my favorite episodic series on television right now.   Love everything about it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
I saw the Bowl on an episode of This Is Us, and it looked like the "floor" was stalls, with tables or something.  Is that right? Chastain Park in Atlanta is sort of like that too.

That is correct (and I also don't know what This Is Us is), although it's not all of the "floor."  This is part of the hipster vibe associated with the place.  I believe folks with those seats are (for some shows) allowed to bring in picnic baskets, including alcohol.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »
I saw the Bowl on an episode of This Is Us, and it looked like the "floor" was stalls, with tables or something.  Is that right? Chastain Park in Atlanta is sort of like that too.

That is correct (and I also don't know what This Is Us is), although it's not all of the "floor."  This is part of the hipster vibe associated with the place.  I believe folks with those seats are (for some shows) allowed to bring in picnic baskets, including alcohol.

Yep; that's Chastain Park as well. 

"This Is Us" is a TV drama on NBC about the lives of three triplets told at various stages of their existence (from babies up to middle age).  Pretty darn good if you ask me (and if I knew then what I know now, I'd be a Steelers fan).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 11:32:04 AM »
Sure, it doesn't have the best sound being outdoors on a mountain side, but for me, all of what you said makes up for that.  Also, I don't live in the area, so it's not a spot I regularly attend which still gives it that "mystique" I guess you can say.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I'll go out of my way to catch a cool show there, no doubt. I'd just make sure to catch it at a proper venue, as well. Like I said, Red Rocks just seems to me to be more about Red Rocks than the show you go to see. It also helps that after the show you can drive an hour or two SW and camp out in the mountains. I really did camping concert trips.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 11:49:19 AM »
I didn't attend a show, but I visited the Acropolis Amphitheater when I was in Athens, Greece. Really beautiful venue but I would assume has similar issues to Red Rocks acoustics.

The Foo Fighters recorded a show there a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLxvgNzRxOQ
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »
There have got to be structural concerns with playing in places like that.  I saw Harry Styles at Madison Square Garden, and no lie the entire arena was shaking at one point (kind of threw me for a loop, actually).  It's built for that, but I can't imagine the Acropolis is/was.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
I have limited experience in this area, but here goes:

First: Greek Theater (Run DMC 1988)
Last: Rose Bowl (BTS 2019)
Best: Wiltern I guess.  I've seen a few shows there.  The ceiling is cool.
Worst: No bad experiences that I remember.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »
First:Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh NC - Van Halen w/Alice In Chains opening

Last:Durham Performing Arts Center in Durham NC - Postmodern Jukebox

Best:Radio City Music Hall - Dream Theater

Worst:Hard to say.  Never been anywhere I would call "shitty".  The least good was probably Motorco Music Hall in Durham, NC (Haken), but even that was fun as hell.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.