Author Topic: Jordan Rudess - Wired for Madness to be released april 19, 2019  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Jordan Rudess - Wired for Madness to be released april 19, 2019
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 12:13:28 PM »
Holy shit, I might have to pick this up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
 :omg:

Guthrie Govan trading solos with JR on "Why I Dream".
:jawdrop:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Holy shit, I might have to pick this up.

I get the feeling you might like it, Orbert. There are quite a few sections in "Wired For Madness" (the song) that remind me quite a bit of the Ruth Underwood years of Zappa albums. Jordan picks a patch that sounds like a percussion instrument and constructs these staccato rhythms that manage to be very musical.

Of course, there are some sections that sound like Emerson too. Pt 2.3 in particular.

I'm on my third listen now and getting more familiar with the epic. It changes moods often, but I'm not bothered by that at all. Fun album!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:05 PM »
WTF?

Amazon says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months" and "Estimated delivery:  June 5, 2019 - July 19, 2019".

Ordered it anyway!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
I bought mine digitally from Amazon.com. About 40 seconds from the moment I purchased it to listening to it on my phone. :)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 02:02:48 PM »
WTF?

Amazon says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months" and "Estimated delivery:  June 5, 2019 - July 19, 2019".

Ordered it anyway!

If you want it sooner, here you go

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/wired-madness-preorder

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
Thanks, but it's cool.  Now that it's paid for, I can download it and play it that way.  I can wait for the physical media.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
I finally listened to the album, I'm really digging it. It sounds different to his other solo albums, I'm glad he's singing in several tracks, I really like his voice. My favorite tracks so far are the title tracks, lots of crazy stuff, it's awesome!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
WTF?

Ordered it anyway!

I've given up on Amazon forever. My UK Live Reissue still isn't here..

But on topic.

I have most of Jordan's solo stuff and this is top shelf. I love it. I really wish they'd let him do this in Dream Theater.

There's a confidence here that really isn't on a lot of his other solo records I have. It's very versatile and there's a lot on here to love. (At least there is for me.)

Still early, but it might be the definitive album that showcases his different styles. (Zappa!!!!)   Love LaBrie's vocals on here too.  Almost prefer them here to Distance Over Time.

I knew from the moment I found out about this that I'd love it. Have to admit though the opening keyboard riffs remind me of something I've heard before but I still can't place it.

I'd love for him to put a band together and tour this, but I know it will never happen.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
Gave this a spin yesterday. I was surprised by the lack of wankery (which I don't dislike), instead I got a lot of laid-back weirdness. Very interesting.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2019, 05:26:27 PM »
Gave this a spin yesterday. I was surprised by the lack of wankery (which I don't dislike), instead I got a lot of laid-back weirdness. Very interesting.

The 1st three songs (The Wired for Madness suite) sounded very fusion-like. I was quite surprised by that track. I'm liking this album a lot and may be my favorite Jordan solo album.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
Here's a pretty cool article with Jordan taking you through the entire album. It's fun to read his take on his creations and who played what, where.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/jordan-rudess-guides-us-through-wired-for-madness

So I was wrong earlier when I said Govan played guitar on Why I Dream. It was actually Vinnie Moore. My bad.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
Totally amazing album! Jordan is really unbelievable gifted! :heart :heart :heart
The only minor flaw is Just for today IMO. It's not bad, but it's kind lost in an all remarkable album.
And the cote from Jordan in the interview above: " I believe that Marco “eats odd meters for breakfast.”" :lol
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:33:02 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 12:39:44 PM »
Here's a pretty cool article with Jordan taking you through the entire album. It's fun to read his take on his creations and who played what, where.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/jordan-rudess-guides-us-through-wired-for-madness

So I was wrong earlier when I said Govan played guitar on Why I Dream. It was actually Vinnie Moore. My bad.

Thanks for posting that.

This album keeps getting better and better for me.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/8717682988/posts/10156472382967989?s=100000056893649&v=i&sfns=mo
A book about the title track by the same author of TA’s book.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »
Really enjoying this so far. I'd love to hear JR do some back vocals for DT at some point.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2019, 07:00:52 PM »
Got my copy the other day.  Jordan's stuff is hit-or-miss for me, so after reading a few mixed reviews, I decided to put the disc in and listen to it at least once all the way through before looking at the credits.  I haven't even looked at track titles and song lengths, although the titles come up on the CD player in my car.  No preconceptions, just listen to the album, let it unfold.

Not bad!  It goes without saying that Jordan is a gifted player, and he has enough interesting musical ideas to keep my attention most of the time.  One downside is his tendency to wander from one musical idea to another seemingly without a lot of thought going into the overall structure.  I kinda like the unpredictability of it, but I guess only so far.  I don't literally want to feel like we're going from place to place without a map.  These are compositions, so structure matters, even if it's an unconventional structure.  But it's cool and proggy, so he gets points for trying.

The opening track was cruising along very nicely, going through a few themes, then there were vocals several minutes in.  Interesting.  I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics; maybe next time.  Then the rest of the track.  The vocals weren't bad, not great, and they fit the song, but it was unexpected.  Then Part 2 (or maybe it was Part II) and it's kinda more of the same.  Good-sounding jams, great playing, interesting enough compositions.  Then the vocals which aren't horrible, but are just kinda there.  If this is Jordan (someone else mentioned that most of the lead vocals are him?) then I applaud his decision to go ahead and do some lead vocals.  It's his album, he can do whatever he wants.  If I ever made an album of some kind, I would probably do vocals somewhere.  Just to do it.  I don't have a great voice, but I can sing in tune and have some range, so I'd do it.  My album, my rules.  Jordan clearly feels the same way, so kudos to him.  Doesn't change the fact that to me, they spoil what would otherwise be some pretty cool instrumental tracks.  Turns them into cool instrumental tracks with some mediocre vocals.

I've five or six tracks into it; haven't finished the first spin yet and don't actually know how much is left, which is kinda cool.  It's in the car, but I ended up working from home today, so I've only had a couple sessions so far, about 20 minutes each.

Other than being a stubbon, eternally optimistic fan and buying every Dream Theater album on physical media, I don't buy many CDs.  This is a rarity, so I'm having some fun with it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
I love this album. Still think it's one of his best.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2019, 11:37:54 AM »
I love this album. Still think it's one of his best.

Agree. Most of the songs are balanced and not just a crazy wankfest. Really cool that he also decided to sing and write all the lyrics himself. Would like to see some of that with DT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »
After two complete listens plus a little, I like it.  I did read through the credits, and was happy that I identified Joe Bonamassa as the guitarist on Just Can't Win.  I'd heard he was on this album.  I'm still not sold on his vocals, but they're not bad, and they seem to "fit" the songs.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »
After two complete listens plus a little, I like it.  I did read through the credits, and was happy that I identified Joe Bonamassa as the guitarist on Just Can't Win.  I'd heard he was on this album.  I'm still not sold on his vocals, but they're not bad, and they seem to "fit" the songs.

He's better than Steve Howe!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »
I've been listening to this lately and I think it's a really great record. The best thing is the Wired For Madness suite and some of the later instrumental tracks. Weak point are his vocals imo, he hits the notes alright, but he's lacking what makes passable singers great. Still they kinda fit the songs and he doesn't sing too much.

But nonetheless, great record, and although there are (obviously) similarities to Dream Theater it sounds different.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
I've been listening to this lately and I think it's a really great record. The best thing is the Wired For Madness suite and some of the later instrumental tracks. Weak point are his vocals imo, he hits the notes alright, but he's lacking what makes passable singers great. Still they kinda fit the songs and he doesn't sing too much.

But nonetheless, great record, and although there are (obviously) similarities to Dream Theater it sounds different.
well, we know he's no James :D (you're right though, it's a good album, not my personal favourite (that is Feeding The Wheel) but it's cool)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »
Yeah, I didn't know how to describe it. To say it's flat, is wrong, it's not without emotion, without feeling, without phrasing, but it's still no really good.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2019, 03:00:29 PM »
I've been listening to this album relatively a lot since it was released. It is really fun and catchy, lately I've been enjoying the last track "Why I dream" a lot. His singing is weird, totally on pitch, but it lacks something, nevertheless it fits the songs and it is a nice change.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
A contender for album of the year.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 12:34:15 PM »
Has anyone heard Jordan's new album "Heartfelt" (it's on Spotify).
Just classical piano, beautiful stuff.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
Haven't heard it. Waiting for a CD.  Might be waiting a long time I suppose.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
JR will live stream on Facebook Friday, April 10th, at 3pm EST.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can download GeoShred for free. It's a cool app to play around with.

Side Note: David Gilmour will do Facebook Live tomorrow at 3:30 I believe.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk