Author Topic: Rockin' and Sweatin'  (Read 1341 times)

Offline geeeemo

Rockin' and Sweatin'
« on: April 02, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Just sayin'....... (Should this have been in the concerts thread? sorry if it is)

When this nightmare is over I cannot wait to get to some metal concert, on the floor, bodies pressed together, heads bangin', sweat and spit flyin', and bodies
moshing! A perfect way to unload the pressure, angst and worry!  :metal

Rammstein in Sept and Megadeth in November. (Doubt the Symphony X in May will happen :'( )

And if Dream Theater is out and about I may consider going to another one on this tour! It really was fantastic!

How about some favorite Dream Theater concert memories?
My history is short, but one was the LA show last year. SO Loud! But the vibe matched it. I was on a bangin' high for 3 hours! ..and the surprise songs!   :o

Offline pg1067

Re: Rockin' and Sweatin'
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:41:15 PM »
My history is short, but one was the LA show last year. SO Loud! But the vibe matched it. I was on a bangin' high for 3 hours! ..and the surprise songs!   :o

Are we talking about 3/22/19 at the Wiltern (or maybe 3/21)?  I was there too.  It was really awesome.  I had a seat in the second row, center section, on the aisle on JM's side of the stage.  I missed the SFAM tour, so this was my first time seeing the whole thing live, and it was ridiculously good.

Hard to top my first few shows, however.  I saw them four times on the I&W tour.  The first two were in November 1992 at tiny clubs.  The first was in Westminster, CA.  At the time, it was called The Marquee.  It's now a "gentlemen's club" called The Library.  The second was in San Diego at a place called the Rhythm Cafe (I think it was closed by the owner only a few months later).  We got there really early and killed time at a strip club across the street.  I also saw them on the Awake tour with Fates Warning at the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana (now known as Observatory OC).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
When this nightmare is over I cannot wait to get to some metal concert, on the floor, bodies pressed together, heads bangin', sweat and spit flyin', and bodies
moshing! A perfect way to unload the pressure, angst and worry!  :metal

This definitely does not describe a DT concert  :lol but yes, I totally agree.  I can't wait to get out to a concert and feel that vibe again.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »
I have plenty of DT memories, having gone to as many shows as I have, but the one that immediately comes to mind is when I saw the band at Jones Beach in 2003. I had met up with some guys from the French fan club that had flown in for several shows. After they finished playing The Silent Man, JP started playing a familiar melody, but I couldn't quite place it.

At first, I thought they must be playing Peruvian Skies, but the problem was that they already played it earlier in the show. It took me a little while, but I finally figured out that it was the obscure Rush track "The Necromancer"! While it's far from my favorite track, to see them do such a Rush rarity was such a treat. I tried to explain to the French guys what the song was but was unable to get them to understand at that moment.

I was sure that they would only do the first part of the song (the original Rush version is 12.5 minutes and has 3 named parts, not unlike Trial of Tears), but no, they continued on to the second part. I thought "there's no way they're gonna do the whole song" but I was happy to be wrong! At the end they segued right into the end of The Who's Baba O'riley without missing a beat. It was amazing! IMO, it is definitely DT's best cover ever, especially because they injected enough of their own style into the song instead of just playing the song as the original artist did.

Oh and to add a cherry on top, when we went backstage for the aftershow, we met none other than Chris Collins, who even the band members had not seen in the previous 16 or 17 years. An awesome night I won't forget!

Here's the performace in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOIxVrwqllA
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
I'm sure I shared this story long ago in greater detail, but a particular show that sticks out was the Fix For '96 show in Providence. 

Back in the Fall of 1996, a random attractive girl approached me in my college cafeteria with the unexpected exclamation "Oh, you're wearing a Dream Theater t-shirt, can I touch you."  Naturally, I had been hoping that would happen since the Image and Words days.  In any event, we talked music and hung out a few times.  I invited her to the Fix For '96 show in Providence, which meant traveling by train from Boston.  It was a blast.

We waited outside the venue after the show to meet the band, and sure enough, Derek Sherinian hit on her with full gusto.  In fact, they exchanged numbers.  We were not dating, so it was no big deal.  A few days later back at college in Boston, on the last day before winter break, I popped into her dorm room to wish her a pleasant holiday.  Of course, she was on the phone with Derek that very moment.

I guess Derek and I both have good taste in women.  And the show was one of the best - I loved the sneak preview of what would be mostly demo versions of the FII songs.       

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:14 PM »
I saw that Fix For '96 show in Providence as well. It was The (Future) Lovely Mrs TAC's first DT show.

If I had to say something, I would say my first time seeing DT. I saw them at The Ritz in NYC on June 8, 1992. My avatar is a picture I took of the Marquee that afternoon.
I was a huge Maiden fan, obviously, so to get a good spot, that meant having to stand through some no name sucky band.

I would say that they weren't two minutes into their set and my jaw was on the floor. They were by far the most amazing band I'd ever seen. Instantly.

I had two thoughts. The drummer is incredible, and the bass player was a madman. This is when JM was way more demonstrative.

We were at the stage on Dave Murray's (John Myung's) side. In fact, in the Maiden bootleg, you can see my camera flashing. My only regret was not getting a pic or two of DT. But I couldn't take the chance of getting busted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »

Are we talking about 3/22/19 at the Wiltern (or maybe 3/21)?  I was there too.  It was really awesome.  I had a seat in the second row, center section, on the aisle on JM's side of the stage.  I missed the SFAM tour, so this was my first time seeing the whole thing live, and it was ridiculously good.

Hard to top my first few shows, however.  I saw them four times on the I&W tour.  The first two were in November 1992 at tiny clubs.  The first was in Westminster, CA.  At the time, it was called The Marquee.  It's now a "gentlemen's club" called The Library.  The second was in San Diego at a place called the Rhythm Cafe (I think it was closed by the owner only a few months later).  We got there really early and killed time at a strip club across the street.  I also saw them on the Awake tour with Fates Warning at the Galaxy Theatre in Santa Ana (now known as Observatory OC).

Yep the 22nd of March! We were 4th row center just a tad on JM side. In fact, there is a pic of the band with the crowd behind them after the show and my son and I are very visible. Fun!  Sounds like you have some great concert memories!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
I'll ltry and have a short memory about all my DT concerts.

November 1999 = My first one, started with Metropolis, all the excitement of a first gig
Summer 2000 = Mixed SFAM setlist, A Change of Seasons as encore, wohoo.
Six Degrees 2002 = First three hour show, great setlist, The Killing Hand, Scarred going into 2112 among other things.
ToT 2004 = Lot of fun, lot of friends along, A Mind beside Itself in full, Hallowed Be Thy Name as first encore and me going all "Scream for me Milano!!!" by myself to the amusement of my friends who never saw me going so apeshit at a gig  :lol
Octavarium 2005 = anniversary setlist, another 3 hour show, another lot of fun
Festival 2007 = Images and Words in full, first ever date of the Systematic Chaos tour if I remember correctly, they start with Pull Me Under and I thought "well, festival setlist, I see why they would start with their most famous song", and then James announced the entire I&W album, whoah!
SysChaos 2007 = Symphony X opening, they were touring for Paradise Lost. Shorter gig than usual but still good.
Festival 2009 = Headliners of a festival, 90 minutes or so. Nice but after many Evening with's felt like an ordinary gig.
Dramatic 2012 = First time with Mangini, nice to see that DT was still alive and kicking, cool setlist!
Along for the Ride 2014 = Half Awake, SDV included. WHOAH! Finally heard The Mirror again, first time since 2000.
Astonishing 2016 = stuck in the leftmost corner in the "roof" of the theater. Enjoyed it anyway, I'm happy to have seen it.
Images and Words 2017 = Had a blast. Nice first set, nice hearing once again I&W,  didn't mind (or notice) the half downtuning. A Change of Seasons as encore whooo!
SFAM 2020 = F'KIN FINALLY, 20 years after having missed it, I finally  get to see my favorite album ever in its entirety. 80 minutes that felt like 40. Amazing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »
There are a lot of things I want to do once all of this is over, concerts are definitively towards the top of my list.

There's a Dave Matthews show I want to go, I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

In terms of DT concert memories, Every show has been special in its own ways, but I guess the Images and Words & Beyond tour has been my favorite because of the setlist.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline krands85

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 11:03:30 AM »
In terms of DT concert memories, Every show has been special in its own ways, but I guess the Images and Words & Beyond tour has been my favorite because of the setlist.
Likewise, it's my favourite album and I'd been desperate to see at least Learning to Live or Metropolis live at some point, but we got the whole album as well as ACOS! Plus I was in the second row, which made it especially special ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 11:22:04 AM »
The first one was definitely the most memorable: summer '95, Waking the World tour, Velvet Club - Rimini, Italy.

Highlights:

Pretty small venue, less people than expected due to an ugly thunderstorm during the afternoon, being on crutches due to a broken leg = first row spot all night long

A new guy on keyboards, and no one knowing who the hell he was because, well, it was 1995.

They screwed up the intro to UaGM, and I mean badly; they had to stop and start again; it was the moment we all knew they were human beings after all.

A Change of Seasons, all of it.

Being capable to actually hear James' acoustic voice during WfS.