Author Topic: Dream Theater tab books REDONE (because the old ones are inaccurate)  (Read 24231 times)

Offline DT89

Re: Dream Theater tab books REDONE (because the old ones are inaccurate)
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2020, 11:09:49 AM »
Lots of little details missing in this one:
Through Her Eyes - How It's Played Episode 39

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2020, 03:13:34 AM »
I was thinking about LTE and LTE2 that came around this time :whistle: :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline DT89

Offline DT89

« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
This will be the final episode, at least for now. I may revisit some of these songs to demonstrate more parts or even do some full song playthroughs. Would love to hear your suggestions/requests, 1990s albums only.

Finally Free - How It's Played Episode 44

Offline PetFish

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »
Great work, man, on a pretty heavy project.

Take a break, you deserve it.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks for the hard work!

Lte 1&2 or some songs of it would be appreciated:)
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom

Offline DT89

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
So far I've transcribed the first two songs from JP's Terminal Velocity. More coming soon!

Terminal Velocity guitar tab

The Oddfather guitar tab

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
Top notch job as always!

Offline PetFish

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »
Noice, it's a rockin' tune.

I always found it confusing as a beginner player when tabs had every.single.nuance written down.  Minor pick scrapes to muffled random percussion to "free" strumming to how far to bend the bar and shit like that.  I'd spend too much time trying to play the tab exactly as written.  Once it "clicked" for me that I can have my own strumming cadence or whatever it became a lot clearer and easier for me.

I show people the basic chords or whatever and put emphasis on those until they get that down and then can start "feeling" the music instead of micro-managing the minutia.  For example, it's funny to see players who will slide "up" into a note on the 12th fret from EXACTLY the 8th fret when, in reality, you just slide up from pretty much wherever.

TL;DR - How you tab-makers are able to hear and notate the tiniest sounds and details is amazing.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:34 AM »
So far I've transcribed the first two songs from JP's Terminal Velocity. More coming soon!

The Oddfather guitar tab
Thanks again mate, your work is great and I regret having bought 10 DT tab books

Offline DT89

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »

The Oddfather guitar tab
Thanks again mate, your work is great and I regret having bought 10 DT tab books
Thanks man! At least the DT books from Octavarium-present are good, lol.

John Petrucci - Happy Song Guitar Tab

Offline DT89

Offline DT89

Offline N4Player

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2020, 11:46:09 PM »
Amazing work Evan. Thank you so much. Where were you in the eighties when us older people needed you? :biggrin:

Offline DT89

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
Amazing work Evan. Thank you so much. Where were you in the eighties when us older people needed you? :biggrin:
Thank you! I wasn't born yet  ;D

John Petrucci - Glassy-Eyed Zombies Guitar Tab

Offline DT89

« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2020, 01:26:16 PM »
Very happy to have finished transcribing the album! The release date was great timing, as I was in between tab book projects. For anyone interested in the free tabs and hasn't already contacted me, please contact me via my website: https://www.evanbradleytranscriptions.com/contact

John Petrucci - Temple of Circadia Guitar Tab

Playlist of all the songs: Terminal Velocity Guitar Tabs
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 02:11:12 PM by DT89 »

Offline DT89

« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2020, 11:49:51 AM »
I'm back with another transcription!

Dream Theater - Instrumedley Guitar Tab

Offline Guitargod

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
Great tabs!
But would you sleep at nights knowing that there only 2 major albums (except for WDADU) left without proper transcriptions?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2020, 11:57:38 PM »
Full band score books (with guitar tabs) for When Dream and Day Unite and A Change of Seasons (with transcriptions to the live B side songs) were published in Japan in 1994 and 1996, respectively.  If you want your brain to explode trying to process all the mistakes on those pages, give 'em a read. 

Offline DT89

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
Full band score books (with guitar tabs) for When Dream and Day Unite and A Change of Seasons (with transcriptions to the live B side songs) were published in Japan in 1994 and 1996, respectively.  If you want your brain to explode trying to process all the mistakes on those pages, give 'em a read.
Yes, those old Japanese full-band scores are terrible.

Dream Theater - Another Hand Guitar Tab

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
DT89, any chance you might transcribe Don't Look Past Me or Raise the Knife in the near future?

Offline DT89

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2020, 10:24:17 PM »
DT89, any chance you might transcribe Don't Look Past Me or Raise the Knife in the near future?
I've already transcribed the solos to DLPM, I might revisit this song and see if I can transcribe the rhythm parts, but it's unfortunate that there isn't a proper studio version, the demo recording quality isn't great. Dream Theater - Don't Look Past Me solos

Raise the Knife is a possibility, but again the demo recording quality is a bit of a deterrent. I'll have to see what I can glean from Score and any other live videos.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
Cool - thanks for the link!  Do you have a physical copy of the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD with Don't Look Past Me?  It's actually a remixed version and better quality than the other versions that are out there (such as the official Ytsejam bootleg) .

For what it's worth, I have an instrumental version of Raise the Knife, although my version is copied on cassette from the internet.  It was first downloadable on fan sites without lyrics back in 1998, so that version exists, although it might have been taken from the house soundtrack at a live concert because it clearly has an audience applauding at the end.  Any effort on transcribing this would be enormous contribution to the DT fanbase.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:30:01 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2020, 02:24:41 PM »
I've already transcribed the solos to DLPM, I might revisit this song and see if I can transcribe the rhythm parts, but it's unfortunate that there isn't a proper studio version, the demo recording quality isn't great. Dream Theater - Don't Look Past Me solos

Raise the Knife is a possibility, but again the demo recording quality is a bit of a deterrent. I'll have to see what I can glean from Score and any other live videos.
maybe this one here will help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DT89

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2020, 03:09:09 PM »
Cool - thanks for the link!  Do you have a physical copy of the Cleaning Out the Closet fan club CD with Don't Look Past Me?  It's actually a remixed version and better quality than the other versions that are out there (such as the official Ytsejam bootleg) .

For what it's worth, I have an instrumental version of Raise the Knife, although my version is copied on cassette from the internet.  It was first downloadable on fan sites without lyrics back in 1998, so that version exists, although it might have been taken from the house soundtrack at a live concert because it clearly has an audience applauding at the end.  Any effort on transcribing this would be enormous contribution to the DT fanbase.
Was it this one starting at 28:55? https://youtu.be/2UD2yitQyJk

maybe this one here will help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc
Thanks, I had already bookmarked a few live videos of DLPM in case I revisit it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2020, 05:57:49 PM »
DT89, no I was referring to something else.  It's basically the full song, identical to the demo cut, but instruments only, but it has a live crowd.  As if there was a live playing of the unfinished demo.  I downloaded it in 1998 from the site Caught in A Worldwide Web I think.

Online HOF

« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2020, 01:10:34 PM »
I don't play guitar, but have to say that you are incredibly generous. Any time somebody applies their passion to help others, it's really inspiring. Thanks!

-Tof
Thank you! Hopefully these videos are also interesting to non-guitarists and shed some light on some parts you may have never noticed before.

Trial of Tears - How It's Played Episode 33

Yea, thank you. These videos are great.

Man, the guitar parts in Trial of Tears are so beautiful and unique. Just an amazing composition on every level.