Author Topic: Nick D'Virgilio - INVISIBLE - OUT NOW!!!  (Read 6387 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick D'Virgilio - INVISIBLE - OUT NOW!!!
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
I just found out that the man is releasing a solo album soon.

I am very much looking forward to it.

:metal
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:19:35 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline HOF

Re: Nick D'Virgilio - Invisible - New Solo Album
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
I knew the solo album was in the works and due soon, but haven’t seen a title or official announcement yet. Was just listening to his fantastic Childhood’s End, actually.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 06:26:24 PM »
I knew the solo album was in the works and due soon, but haven’t seen a title or official announcement yet. Was just listening to his fantastic Childhood’s End, actually.

Like the first one though it's been quite a while since I pulled it off of the shelf.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »

I was going to post the info I got but then I double thought and refrained myself on doing it as the album hasn't been officially announced.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick D'Virgilio - Invisible - New Solo album after 10 years
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:51:37 PM »

NEW SINGLE NEXT FRIDAY

:metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
Pumped for this. Nick is just a brilliant musician.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 02:32:35 PM »
Yup.  Auto buy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline frogprog

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
Love Nick, I have for years. I have had the opportunity to talk with him a few times when he was around with Spock's and when he was drumming with Fates on the the DT/ QR tour. Just a nice,down to earth dude.
I recently watched a few of his interview and product review videos from Sweetwater. Great stuff! NDV is such a cool, personable guy. Such a great musician and knowledgeable gear spokesman. I look forward to buying his new release.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 03:55:53 PM »
Hope he represses his music (first album), Pieces EP, and Live and Acoustic DVD.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
For some reason, I never paid attention to his first release. Just found a sealed copy on eBay for $12 so I snagged it.

Google Play store has the EP in digital so I can sample that there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 07:43:15 AM »
I know people know him more for his drumming, but he's not too shabby as a vocalist either.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:13 AM »
Not at all. GREAT voice. He is a multi instrumentalist also. Great studio engineer. VERY talented guy.

Offline HOF

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 08:04:06 AM »
I’m generally less fond of the Nick era of SP than the other two, but Nick has still become one of my favorite singers anyway. Carie from Snow is epic and one of my favorite things he has done (as is Looking for Answers). I mentioned Childhood’s End above from his EP pieces, which really demonstrates his range. I also love watching him sing some of the older SB tracks like Walking on the Wind and Doorway. And of course there are the legendary high harmony parts on June. There are a ton of great moments from when he was the lead singer for Spock’s too of course, and he also has some lead parts in The Fringe. Would love to see him take more leads in Big Big Train from time to time, though the singer they have is pretty amazing already.

I ran across this that he did for Magna Carta’s Genesis tribute the other night and was blown away:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0WPFpxrRpSbuwFCJnnixUUun9tUYcjnfGZ5ywGyCqQbur_IFXuPZV8jLI&v=7m8wmrDSZx0

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 02:44:57 PM »
People do realize "Childhood's End" is a cover, right?

it's a track Kevin Gilbert wrote and recorded.

Offline HOF

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
I do realize that it’s a Kevin Gilbert cover (though I’ve never heard the original). Still a great track.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 09:11:07 PM »
Really interested in this! Nick is a monster drummer, vocalist and instrumentalist.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline HOF

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
This was a really cool interview from last June that gives some details on the new album that I hadn’t heard yet.

https://drummagazine.com/nick-dvirgilio-more-than-just-sweet-chops/

“ And, I also hear you are working on a solo record?

This is something I’m really excited about. All the drum vendors are sponsoring this record and we’re using a different kit on every song. I’m fully documenting the process, going through each tune, the drumhead combos, the kit, the cymbals and why they were chosen for that song. One reason we’re doing this is because it’s Sweetwater and we can. Who does such a thing? So I’m playing with all these amazing kits. The record includes Jordan Rudess, Tony Levin, and Paul Gilbert.

Tony Levin makes anything sound incredible.

Oh my gosh he sent me some bass parts. There’s one song where I play everything and I sent him the demo. He wrote me back and said “I can’t do any better.” So what he did is I play bass on the intro and main verse and then he plays stick fretless on the main song. But what he added to the song is just unbelievably fantastic. It’s called Invisible. It’s a concept record and we hope to have it out in October. I think it will be a unique thing that no one else has done.”

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
This was a really cool interview from last June that gives some details on the new album that I hadn’t heard yet.

https://drummagazine.com/nick-dvirgilio-more-than-just-sweet-chops/

“ And, I also hear you are working on a solo record?

This is something I’m really excited about. All the drum vendors are sponsoring this record and we’re using a different kit on every song. I’m fully documenting the process, going through each tune, the drumhead combos, the kit, the cymbals and why they were chosen for that song. One reason we’re doing this is because it’s Sweetwater and we can. Who does such a thing? So I’m playing with all these amazing kits. The record includes Jordan Rudess, Tony Levin, and Paul Gilbert.

Tony Levin makes anything sound incredible.

Oh my gosh he sent me some bass parts. There’s one song where I play everything and I sent him the demo. He wrote me back and said “I can’t do any better.” So what he did is I play bass on the intro and main verse and then he plays stick fretless on the main song. But what he added to the song is just unbelievably fantastic. It’s called Invisible. It’s a concept record and we hope to have it out in October. I think it will be a unique thing that no one else has done.”

Not October, but much earlier. I{ve been listening to this album and man, I can say it rocks!

Offline HOF

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Yeah, that interview was last June, so obviously they missed the October date. Really excited to hear this. Looking forward to that first track coming on Friday.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 05:34:36 AM »
The new NDV rocks indeed! Great sound, amazing drumming (duh) great singing! NDV is just a fantastic musician. I'm not always convinced by all the compositions and lyrics, but the very versatile and big arrangements make up for a lot of that.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 09:10:51 AM »
Well, Nick just said that all the info related to the album will come in 2 weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/ndvofficial/videos/2658640567758961/

Offline HOF

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
Available for pre-order from The Burning Shed now, first song will be up on YouTube tomorrow (per NDV on Facebook).

https://burningshed.com/nick-dvirgilio_invisible_cd?fbclid=IwAR2GT-SXaLIfreG2KEeQgvrsSTySSpQ8B6LNYD4-avgCHf3tMO-3qHvCehw

Description from Burning Shed:

Coming almost two decades after his debut solo offering, Invisible is the second solo album by drummer, vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train/Spock’s Beard/Genesis etc).

A concept album about 'finding meaning', the recording process was split between the legendary Abbey Road Studios (including full string and brass sections) and Sweetwater Studios in Fort Wayne, Indiana,

Invisible boasts star turns from luminaries such as guitarists Paul Gilbert, Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) and Carl Verheyen (Supertramp), bassists Tony Levin and Jonas Reingold, plus keyboard players Jordan Rudess and Jem Godfrey.

CD in digipack with 2 12-page booklets.

---------

NDV describes his new record as, “A collection of songs that make up the story of a man who is unhappy with where his life has ended up. He finally decides to take the scary step of leaving everything behind so he can go and find the meaning of his life.”

He continues: “Throughout my career I have been in many different places. Over time the word ‘invisible’ kept coming to mind and it got me thinking of people that truly have the hardest jobs in the world, or no job at all. The outliers. The ones we all take for granted. The ones we will never know but if they were not there then our lives would not be the nearly the same. Over time I amassed lyric and song ideas with the idea of writing a concept record on the subject.”

Keen to establish that “this is not your typical drummer record,” NDV states that "Invisible is a rock album with various musical flavours thrown in because the songs were formed with the story in mind. A classical prelude that uses various themes from the whole piece sets the stage. From there comes a mellow ballad outlining the story and then it is on to the adventures of the central character. The main thing making this record did for me was to reaffirm my strong belief that we are all here for something. We all have a purpose.”

Offline HOF

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »
New song inside this link. I recommend listening but not watching (lyric videos are always corny as heck), but the song sounds great.

https://www.nickdvirgilio.com/news/nick-d-virgilio-to-release-solo-album-invisible-on-june-first-single-available/

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »
Beautiful with a gorgeous and BIG production!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »
Now I want to listen to the entire album.

Such a good uplifting song
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
Autographed CDs and vinyl are available at the NDV website.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »

Aw man, I already ordered from BurningShed. Maybe I can cancel the order and order the signed CD from NDV.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »

Aw man, I already ordered from BurningShed. Maybe I can cancel the order and order the signed CD from NDV.

-Marc.

I think you can. Burning Shed has very good customer service. I waited until today to see if he was either going to sell albums only though Burning Shed or if he was going to set up a webstore since the site was under construction for a while.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick D'Virgilio - INVISIBLE will be released on June 26th, 2020
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
I am here just to say that this is ALBUM OF THE YEAR for me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 02:23:29 AM »

Dude you heard the new Haken already!  ;)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline emtee

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 07:37:57 AM »

Wow! You feel that strongly about hub? I was on the fence about buying it. I want to support Nick but I figured it would just be a decent album that was spun a few times and relegated to the shelf.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »

Dude you heard the new Haken already!  ;)

I did. And it will make my list of top 10. But this album from Nick is marvelous. It’s very emotional, it’s melodic, his voice, the musicianship, the quality of the mix. Everything is perfect here. And the story talks volumes to me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
If you have two and a half hours to kill, there is a new Progzilla podcast episode featuring an NDV interview and a ton of his music and favorite songs:

http://www.progzilla.com/edition-341-nick-dvirgilios-top-ten-live-from-progzilla-towers/?fbclid=IwAR04vhoqWGEA1jaeXHeYyyrIhmrvs0Qrqa2U24-M7djxzqZW4rI00Ia2Mk4

“In this special Top Ten edition we talked with Nick D’Virgilio and heard the following music:

Nick D’Virgilio – Where’s The Passion
Big Big Train – Wassail
Genesis – The Battle Of Epping Forest
Paul McCartney & Wings – My Love
Rewiring Genesis – The Colony Of Slippermen
Tony Williams – Fred
Spock’s Beard – Stratus
Peter Gabriel – Family Snapshot
Judas Priest – You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’
Giraffe – In The Cage
Tom Jones – Delilah
Led Zeppelin – Stairway To Heaven
Big Big Train – A Boy In Darkness
The Faces – If I’m On The Late Side
Spock’s Beard – Squonk
Muse – Time Is Running Out
Kevin Gilbert – Water Under The Bridge
James Brown – Cold Sweat
Nick D’Virgilio – Come What May”

Offline HOF

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 03:08:17 PM »
Wow, I’d never heard Nick’s rendition of Come What May (or the original), but that was beautiful.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
Wow, I’d never heard Nick’s rendition of Come What May (or the original), but that was beautiful.

Having owned his first solo album for MANY years now, I've always loved and enjoyed his cover of "Come What May". It's easily one of my favorite pieces on his debut album.

The wait for Invisible is becoming tough! I've been listening to some Spock's Beard and BBT lately, so I'm aching for new NDV material!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!