Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110051 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: TOOL : Fear Inoculum : Official Thread.
« Reply #1260 on: July 05, 2021, 08:41:25 PM »
Ya know….I guess I just look at it as my hobby. I mean, if you’re into golf, how much money do you spend on golf? If you’re really into hunting, how much money do you spend on guns/ammo? If you’re SUPER into fishing, how much do you spend on gear? Or your boat?

All of these things people spend money on…there are others who think you’re completely wasting your time and money.

I don’t buy every expensive boxed set I want, and I’m certainly not rich. But I’m fortunate enough to be in a very small diminishing class that we call “middle”.  And my physical music collection is my thing. Like golf, or hunting, or fishing is for lots of guys. And I probably spend as much (more likely a bit less) on my hobby as they do theirs.

Amen.

Music is my primary hobby. Practically my only one. I pump a lot of money into my physical collection. wolfking got to see that first hand during the UFO listening party time period. I was on a tear through covid and spent more than I ever had in a year, and I don't regret a thing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2021, 08:45:36 PM »
Ya know….I guess I just look at it as my hobby. I mean, if you’re into golf, how much money do you spend on golf? If you’re really into hunting, how much money do you spend on guns/ammo? If you’re SUPER into fishing, how much do you spend on gear? Or your boat?

All of these things people spend money on…there are others who think you’re completely wasting your time and money.

I don’t buy every expensive boxed set I want, and I’m certainly not rich. But I’m fortunate enough to be in a very small diminishing class that we call “middle”.  And my physical music collection is my thing. Like golf, or hunting, or fishing is for lots of guys. And I probably spend as much (more likely a bit less) on my hobby as they do theirs.

Amen.

Music is my primary hobby. Practically my only one. I pump a lot of money into my physical collection. wolfking got to see that first hand during the UFO listening party time period. I was on a tear through covid and spent more than I ever had in a year, and I don't regret a thing.

Indeed I did haha.  You put all my hauls in previous years to absolute shame!  Good stuff!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1262 on: July 07, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
I'm with you guys; I just moved houses, and I think the CD collection was the single biggest "part" that wasn't a bedroom set.  it's fun, and it keeps me out of trouble.  Indulgent? Sure, by some people's standards, but it makes me happy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1263 on: July 07, 2021, 02:51:53 PM »
I'm with you guys; I just moved houses, and I think the CD collection was the single biggest "part" that wasn't a bedroom set.  it's fun, and it keeps me out of trouble.  Indulgent? Sure, by some people's standards, but it makes me happy.

And it's harmless.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: July 07, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »
I'd deffo rather spend money on CDs / DVDs / Vinyl etc - something you can still admire in 10 years.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1265 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
Indulgent is right. I've been collecting music for the last 30 years and last I checked I have about 4800 CDs, around 75 collector's edition vinyl box sets (some of those are huge!), and maybe 300 more albums on vinyl. I don't want to have to move all that again and figure out where to store it. Guess I'll die in this house.

But to your point, it's fun and it's harmless. It's my single biggest hobby. Well, music in general. Since I also have 4 guitars, 3 drumsets, a bass guitar, and a keyboard.......I have too much stuff.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: July 07, 2021, 06:40:25 PM »
I'd deffo rather spend money on CDs / DVDs / Vinyl etc - something you can still admire in 10 years.

It's funny my record collection started out 10 years with a way for me to support my favorite band (dredg). I had a few of their albums that I never played as I didn't even have a record player. A few years back I picked up a record player and I've been slowly building a collection of my favorite albums on vinyl.

There is a certain joy I get every time I reach for one of those albums and go through the whole process of setting it up to play while enjoying the large artwork.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: July 08, 2021, 02:31:57 AM »
Exactly. And you get absolutely one of that pressing play on an MP3 or on Spotify.

And in 20 years you won't be able to stand back and admire a shelf full of songs downloaded from youtube.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1268 on: July 08, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
Exactly. And you get absolutely one of that pressing play on an MP3 or on Spotify.

And in 20 years you won't be able to stand back and admire a shelf full of songs downloaded from youtube.
Who's downloading songs from Youtube?

I have a massive albums collection, but I also have them all stored digitally on my Plex server, should anything bad happen to my collection. And it also allows me to listen to anything I have at any time, anywhere. There are benefits to both.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1269 on: July 09, 2021, 01:37:06 AM »
I'm quite happy with my vinyl and CD collection but I do see the appeal of the more minimalistic approach of listening all digitally as well. Just the idea of moving apartments in a year or two and having to move all my physical collection gives me a mild headache.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1270 on: July 09, 2021, 08:08:04 AM »

Who's downloading songs from Youtube?

I have a massive albums collection, but I also have them all stored digitally on my Plex server, should anything bad happen to my collection. And it also allows me to listen to anything I have at any time, anywhere. There are benefits to both.

I'm in the process of doing just that, putting it all on a server.   For me, the problem is that you don't control what you get "digitally".  I have two versions of Whitesnake's Slide It In, for example. Three versions of Ozzy's Bark At The Moon.  Early on, I remember a friend of mine wanted to get a couple Little River Band songs from iTunes I think it was, and was shocked to find the vocals different (they were going through a kerfuffle with Glenn Shorrock, and some of his vocal parts were re-recorded.  Ozzy's destruction of the two "Blizzard" albums.   Other artists are re-recording their catalogues, or parts of them - Swift, Kiss, Def Leppard - to avoid label issues.  I want the version I want.  I can guarantee I have it when I have the tangible piece in my hand.

Having said that, the goal when I'm done is to be able to have my phone in my car and tap into my network drive for any song in my collection.  Fingers crossed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: July 11, 2021, 05:15:09 AM »
I'm quite happy with my vinyl and CD collection but I do see the appeal of the more minimalistic approach of listening all digitally as well. Just the idea of moving apartments in a year or two and having to move all my physical collection gives me a mild headache.

Obvs I use the iPhone for outdoors listening where quality isn't important - or a long bus journey.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: July 25, 2021, 04:20:25 AM »
I finally downloaded the extended MP3 version of FI with the code you get with the album.  I mean, the interludes are pointless, but it actually makes this feel more like a Tool album.  Seems to be more complete.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1273 on: July 25, 2021, 08:21:56 AM »
I finally downloaded the extended MP3 version of FI with the code you get with the album.  I mean, the interludes are pointless, but it actually makes this feel more like a Tool album.  Seems to be more complete.

They actually don't make the album feel bloated for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1274 on: July 25, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
My only disappointment in the complete version is that they didn’t offer it in anything lossless. I know, I know…cue the claims that the human ear can’t tell the difference between lossless and MP3/320. But if a homemade band on band camp can offer FLAC files why can’t Tool?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1275 on: July 25, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
I know, I know…cue the claims that the human ear can’t tell the difference between lossless and MP3/320.
Those people can't tell the difference on their crappy Beats headphones or Apple airbuds or whatever they are called, etc etc.. There is very much a difference though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1276 on: July 25, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
My only disappointment in the complete version is that they didn’t offer it in anything lossless. I know, I know…cue the claims that the human ear can’t tell the difference between lossless and MP3/320. But if a homemade band on band camp can offer FLAC files why can’t Tool?
They did. FI is on HDtracks (and other high res services), and it's cheaper than the 80 dollar CD edition, complete too.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1277 on: July 25, 2021, 11:55:55 AM »
They did. FI is on HDtracks (and other high res services), and it's cheaper than the 80 dollar CD edition, complete too.

Yes, but the MP3s came with the purchase of the album. Why should I pay again for something I already bought.

I’m saying there should have been an HD free download with the purchase of the physical copy.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: July 25, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »
Doesn't bother me, but that's a fair point.  Different audio versions should have been made available on the CD code link download.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: July 25, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »

They actually don't make the album feel bloated for me.

I made a playlist of literally JUST the 6 songs. Not even the drum solo. And it's still a 75 minute album and flows very nicely to me. But I can understand them wanting

to offer a nice LONG album after the 13 year gap. Same with Metallica and Hardwired... If you count the studio version of Lords of Summer it's very nearly a 90 minute album.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: July 25, 2021, 04:48:55 PM »
While I never go and listen to the interstitial Tool tracks I do think it's become a trademark of their albums. I like the tracks when I listen to the whole album, they don't screw with the flow but they do add a bit of mood to the whole album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: July 26, 2021, 05:03:53 AM »
The segues on Ænima are pointless imo and don't add anything. The ones on lateralus feel like they fit the songs though,

The final track on 10,000 Days is literally just noise. And as for Mockingbeat...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: July 26, 2021, 05:33:21 AM »
The segues on Ænima are pointless imo and don't add anything. The ones on lateralus feel like they fit the songs though,

The final track on 10,000 Days is literally just noise. And as for Mockingbeat...

I love them, especially the ones on Aenima, but I'm biased on that album.  It's just part of their sound, quirkiness and they really add to the atmosphere and mystique around the band.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: November 04, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
Actually, one of the more interesting things about the entire thing to me is that you can't tell the Tool trolls from Tool themselves....because they troll as much as their fans do. 

That occurred to me as I was looking at the story and the track listing.    As soon as you start thinking how ridiculous it is...it suddenly starts to seem plausible. 

I mean, look at that track listing.   Isn't something like this HONESTLY the only thing they could do to be more bombastic than 10,000 Days?   

Disc 1:
1. Abscissa (13:47)
2. The Awakening (12:03)
3. Gematria (Act I) (14:33)
4. Regresolution (13:56)
5. Divinotus (12:45)
6. Astral (Act II) (12:21)

Disc 2:
7. Descending (13:53)
8. Decem (12:22)
9. Lesous (Act III) (12:43)
10. Principles of March (12:01)
11. Pascal's Wager (13:46)
12. Zeta (Act IV) (14:27)

This is from 2016. Were TOOL playing Descending way back then or is that a massive coincidence ? It's a very similar running time too.

Also Justin Chancellor Bass Wah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9ZGvdAFQw

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1284 on: November 04, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
Disc 1:
1. Abscissa (13:47)
2. The Awakening (12:03)
3. Gematria (Act I) (14:33)
4. Regresolution (13:56)
5. Divinotus (12:45)
6. Astral (Act II) (12:21)

Disc 2:
7. Descending (13:53)
8. Decem (12:22)
9. Lesous (Act III) (12:43)
10. Principles of March (12:01)
11. Pascal's Wager (13:46)
12. Zeta (Act IV) (14:27)

That looks like a fucking nightmare. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1285 on: November 04, 2021, 05:55:41 PM »
Anyone wanna add up the track times to see how long that album would have been ?

I'm gonna do an approximate total ;D

I got 158 mins 40 seconds roughly. 1 minute 20 seconds shy of THREE HOURS  :rollin

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1286 on: January 11, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2022/matthew-knight-arena-eugene-or-2388b8af.html

First show of the tour was last night and what a setlist!! All of their hits left out except for The Pot, and 4 out of my top 5 Tool songs are in there 😯😯

Here’s hoping they keep it the same for Chicago…

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1287 on: January 11, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
That's a very nice, well balanced set.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1288 on: January 11, 2022, 02:06:23 PM »
That's honestly a dream setlist of mine and better than what I saw in Raleigh a few years back. I'm now even more pumped, it's always been a dream to see "The Grudge" live.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1289 on: January 11, 2022, 07:12:03 PM »
I think they could have squeezed in 7empest and Disposition/Reflection. Then it would have been perfect.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: January 19, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »
From their FB page:

Introducing "Infossilized," a limited-edition NFT collaboration featuring new music from MTvoid [Justin Chancellor (Lobal Orning) and Peter Mohamed] mastered by Bob Ludwig, haikus from Justin and visionary artwork from Armenian sculptor Vahan Bego. Two of the NFTs ("Death Survives" and "Concentration") contain music from the duo's forthcoming album, Matter's Knot (release date TBA).
"Infossilized" includes:
- Three 1-of-1 NFT auctions ("All God's Glory", "Death Survives" and "OTIS")
- Two limited-edition 1-of-10 NFT sales ("Concentration" and "Magmaficent"
- One limited-edition 1-of-15 NFT sales of a print/static image (no audio/no effects) of a collage featuring all five pieces of art
Winners of the 1-of-1 auctions and buyers of the limited-edition offerings will receive a book signed by Vahan, Justin and Peter that features images from the "Infossilized" collection with corresponding poems written by Justin.
For more information, visit the link below.
https://makersplace.com/vahanbegomtvoid
#justinchancellor #mtvoid #makersplace MakersPlace

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: January 25, 2022, 04:37:20 PM »
Going with my youngest daughter and her husband to see Tool in concert in just a few hours. I'm stoked that The Grudge and the Pot are in the setlist.

:2metal:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: January 25, 2022, 04:46:52 PM »
Going with my youngest daughter and her husband to see Tool in concert in just a few hours. I'm stoked that The Grudge and the Pot are in the setlist.

Have a blast mate!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: January 25, 2022, 04:49:31 PM »

Have a blast mate!

Thanks Kade. It shall be interesting to see how my daughter likes the show. She usually likes to dance around, but I told her, "It's not that kind of rock show, Hon."  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: January 25, 2022, 05:38:37 PM »

Have a blast mate!

Thanks Kade. It shall be interesting to see how my daughter likes the show. She usually likes to dance around, but I told her, "It's not that kind of rock show, Hon."  :lol

She goes from standing still for 5 minutes then to alternate dancing in multiple time signatures.  :lol