Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 112458 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: TOOL : Fear Inoculum : Official Thread.
« Reply #1225 on: June 29, 2021, 06:26:09 AM »
There was also a story circulating for awhile that the music was nearly finished years ago, and then there was a some sort of computer crash and all the files were destroyed resulting in them having to start over again from scratch.

I remember hearing about that. I could see that happening and Tool just had to be fortunate to be the chosen ones.  :biggrin:

Sounds like the story of Kirk Hammett losing his phone in a cab that had "hundreds" of original ideas. :lol

I don't really begrudge that Tool took so long to release new material. I would obviously love more and frequent music releases from them but if they don't want to do they don't have to do it. Tool are in a unique position where they can release music when and if they want. Unlike 99% of bands out there they can continue to sell shows playing the same material over
and over so they have the luxury to take as long as they want. As a consumer I have the luxury of choosing whether I want to support them or not. There is no fiscal need for them to ever release another album.

I did find it annoying that constantly strung the fans along with snippets they would give during interviews, I wish they would just say "Nah got nothing on the horizon"

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #1226 on: June 29, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »
And Adam has his Special Effects work to do, which I feel is his main priority and concern, due to how his guitar work is in Fear Inoculum.
I don't think Adam Jones has done any special effect work since the early 90's (Tool videos excepted). Justin Chancellor owned a small shop for some years, but it closed in 2008.
And this point, they probably all have enough money to live confortably until their death without doing no new music at all, abd by only touring once in a while.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1227 on: June 29, 2021, 07:51:14 AM »
I think the only one who is really busy is Maynard with his vineyard, restaurants, and other side projects. He is the last piece of the puzzle though when it comes to Tool. The music is usually delivered to him when it's nearly complete to write vocals for so he is just waiting for the other guys to get the music written.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1228 on: June 29, 2021, 08:00:05 AM »
After a recent re-visit, I am still pleasently surprised by how much I enjoy Fear Inoculum—it's a super solid album.

I'd probably rank it third (behind 'Lateralus' and 'Aenima'), but I enjoy their whol catalog, and don't find a ton of drop-off from 'best' to 'worst'

As for the wait, I do not begrudge them one bit. The older you get, the more time becomes a commodity, and as a fan, I'm a firm believe of the whole 'they don't owe me anything' mentality. Happy to have the music I have, and will be happy to have more if/when it comes, but what does or does not happen in the future does not impact my present enjoyment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1229 on: June 29, 2021, 08:01:20 AM »
^^^ That's kind of me, generally.  Why wish for something you don't have (and have no say in getting it) when you can enjoy what you do have (and have to do nothing to get it).

Offline emtee

« Reply #1230 on: June 29, 2021, 08:37:13 AM »
Still in awe of the album. It's my favorite of theirs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: June 29, 2021, 08:49:56 AM »
Lateralus is still the best but F.I. is pretty good. The production is pristine. My bro complained that it doesn't have much punch to it. But i'd rather

it sound slightly thinner and have complete separation than being way too compressed, claustrophobic, ear fatigue inducing and clipped to death.

Every instrument sounds great. Lacklustre guitar solos aside. Every instrument shines.

I'd be interested to know it's DRM ( CD version ) as it sounds quite spacious.

However I think the 6 song version which is literally just the songs ( no segues or drum solo ) is the best version and it's STILL 75 minutes long.

Which is plenty long enough. Since there is no Bog Standard 1 cd jewel case version I just bought it from iTunes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: June 29, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »
...Oh and SevenEmPest is really nothing special at all. I do not get the love for it. It's a 16 minute jam with a couple of good riffs and a  L O T  of padding / pissing about.

And Adam just isn't good enough to pull off a 5 minute guitar solo.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1233 on: June 29, 2021, 09:49:22 AM »
Lateralus is still the best but F.I. is pretty good. The production is pristine. My bro complained that it doesn't have much punch to it. But i'd rather

it sound slightly thinner and have complete separation than being way too compressed, claustrophobic, ear fatigue inducing and clipped to death.

Every instrument sounds great. Lacklustre guitar solos aside. Every instrument shines.

However I think the 6 song version which is literally just the songs ( no segues or drum solo ) is the best version and it's STILL 75 minutes long.

Which is plenty long enough. Since there is no Bog Standard 1 cd jewel case version I just bought it from iTunes.

That's the thing with Tool too, their album packaging is a part of the art, and they tend to use different styles of art in each one. Aenima hasvthose motion pictures with the plastic on the cover so you can switch out the pictures and make them moveable. Lateralus has the layered Human Anatomy booklet, with 'GOD' written in the brains flesh. 10,000 days has the 3D glasses, I can't remember what those are called, and I actually chose to cut up the book down the middle on each page, and some of those combinations actually look cool in 3D spliced together.

Fear Inoculum was meant to have that video screen on there, as that is the next evolution of the art packaging for cd's. The only thing I don't like about is the fragility of handling the package, and the need to charge it. Other than I think it's a pretty neat design.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: June 29, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
If they bought out a standard CD version with a hardback cover like 10,000 Days I might have gotten it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: June 29, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
After a recent re-visit, I am still pleasently surprised by how much I enjoy Fear Inoculum—it's a super solid album.

I'd probably rank it third (behind 'Lateralus' and 'Aenima'), but I enjoy their whol catalog, and don't find a ton of drop-off from 'best' to 'worst'

As for the wait, I do not begrudge them one bit. The older you get, the more time becomes a commodity, and as a fan, I'm a firm believe of the whole 'they don't owe me anything' mentality. Happy to have the music I have, and will be happy to have more if/when it comes, but what does or does not happen in the future does not impact my present enjoyment.

I'm with you on all this.  FI is glorious.  Worth the wait IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1236 on: June 29, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
I'm in the "Not as good as it should have been considering the wait" camp.

It's only 6 songs. A Drum solo and a segue is not a song. Granted it's still 75 mins of music. But still. 13 years for 6 songs.

But the segues ( apart from mockingbeat which is obviously a joke ) are better than most of Aenimas pointless filler tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: June 29, 2021, 11:13:05 PM »
I'm in the "Not as good as it should have been considering the wait" camp.

It's only 6 songs. A Drum solo and a segue is not a song. Granted it's still 75 mins of music. But still. 13 years for 6 songs.

But the segues ( apart from mockingbeat which is obviously a joke ) are better than most of Aenimas pointless filler tracks.

So the longer the wait, the better the album should be?  I can't get on board with this thinking personally.  We will never know how much of those 13 years were spent on the album, which for my thinking makes the argument kinď of invalid.  They might have come up with the whole thing in 6 months and did nothing for 12 and a half years, we just don't know.

I never once thought when listening that they could have done more after 13 years.  I'm just pleased with the album regardless of how long it's been between drinks.  Met all my expectations and more truthfully.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: June 29, 2021, 11:30:32 PM »
If they bought out a standard CD version with a hardback cover like 10,000 Days I might have gotten it.

I don't know your reasoning but I too was holding out for a standard CD.

In Sweden the first edition, that withthe screen was about 10 times more expensive than a standard CD. I just could not support that.

But then they released the book edition which while more expensive than a standard CD was more humanley priced. Say 3 times that of a standard.

Bought that and I am very glad that I did. I have a few CDs in the same format and love the book feel of it.
Beautiful edition and a very nice album.

It can't touch Lateralus, but then what album can?
It is still a really good album.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1239 on: June 29, 2021, 11:33:35 PM »

It can't touch Lateralus, but then what album can?
Only 2 albums..... Marillion's Marbles and Moonsorrow's Verisakeet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: June 30, 2021, 05:42:14 AM »

That's the thing with Tool too, their album packaging is a part of the art, and they tend to use different styles of art in each one. Aenima hasvthose motion pictures with the plastic on the cover so you can switch out the pictures and make them moveable. Lateralus has the layered Human Anatomy booklet, with 'GOD' written in the brains flesh. 10,000 days has the 3D glasses, I can't remember what those are called, and I actually chose to cut up the book down the middle on each page, and some of those combinations actually look cool in 3D spliced together.

Fear Inoculum was meant to have that video screen on there, as that is the next evolution of the art packaging for cd's. The only thing I don't like about is the fragility of handling the package, and the need to charge it. Other than I think it's a pretty neat design.

I still haven't heard it, and that's at least in part due to the packaging.   I have all of Tool's discography other than the video sets (Salival, Schism, etc.) and I would get this normally, but I'm not paying $40 US minimum for something that doesn't have an "artist support" element (and I'm not huge on downloads).  Yeah, maybe at some point I'll get it, but it'll 95% be on the aftermarket and at a discount. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1241 on: June 30, 2021, 05:44:06 AM »
I splurged on the first edition with the video and paid 120  bucks.  Worth every cent.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1242 on: June 30, 2021, 08:22:01 AM »

I still haven't heard it, and that's at least in part due to the packaging.   I have all of Tool's discography other than the video sets (Salival, Schism, etc.) and I would get this normally, but I'm not paying $40 US minimum for something that doesn't have an "artist support" element (and I'm not huge on downloads).  Yeah, maybe at some point I'll get it, but it'll 95% be on the aftermarket and at a discount.

For what it's worth, (not sure if you've heard it), but there's a cover of 'No Quarter' on Salival that is, hand's down, one of the best freaking Zep covers I've ever heard. Dare I say, I like it more than the original—and I am a HUGE Zep fan, so that's not an easy thing for me to type.

For that song alone, I would pick up Salival if you come across it.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1243 on: June 30, 2021, 11:43:26 AM »
I splurged on the first edition with the video and paid 120  bucks.  Worth every cent.

Wow, why so much?! Aftermarket price?

I paid just under $40 on Amazon for the first version with the trippy video. It's not an awful packaging, actually I quite liked it. The artwork on the packaging and in the booklet is quite striking! Glad I got it when I did.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: June 30, 2021, 11:45:06 AM »

For what it's worth, (not sure if you've heard it), but there's a cover of 'No Quarter' on Salival that is, hand's down, one of the best freaking Zep covers I've ever heard. Dare I say, I like it more than the original—and I am a HUGE Zep fan, so that's not an easy thing for me to type.

I'll step up my efforts; that's right up my alley!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1245 on: June 30, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »
The expanded book edition is going for $24 on Amazon right now. Best price I have seen on that.

I have the video screen version. One of the few bands I would splurge like that on.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: June 30, 2021, 01:15:28 PM »

I'll step up my efforts; that's right up my alley!

Would love to get Salival but it's really expensive on discogs

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: June 30, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »
Yes, it is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 30, 2021, 02:51:35 PM »

I paid just under $40 on Amazon for the first version with the trippy video. It's not an awful packaging, actually I quite liked it. The artwork on the packaging and in the booklet is quite striking! Glad I got it when I did.

-Marc.

This was when it came out.  It was originally 150, but there was a 20% sale on.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1249 on: June 30, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »

-Marc.

Is that the price it was sold originally in Australia? Because I bought it in Target for $40 too when Amazon and Walmart were sold out.

EDIT: Goddamn quote pyramid
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:40:10 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1250 on: June 30, 2021, 10:30:16 PM »
I did a pre-order and I think they were being sold at a much lower price. I want to say that I got mine for around 40 bucks.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: July 01, 2021, 12:03:03 AM »

Is that the price it was sold originally in Australia? Because I bought it in Target for $40 too when Amazon and Walmart were sold out.

-Marc.

Yeah, as far as I know that was the going rate over here.  Pretty steep.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1252 on: July 02, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »
Wolfy is correct, in fact my local JB still has it for $150, I don't anyone is paying that much for it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: July 02, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »
Wolfy is correct, in fact my local JB still has it for $150, I don't anyone is paying that much for it.

I've saw bugger all copies around.  When I bought it the store had I think 4, but after that, I don't think I ever saw them again, and I venture to a lot of JB's around the Brisbane south side area.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1254 on: July 03, 2021, 05:34:20 AM »
There would have to be some super special reason for me to pay over £30 for an ALBUM. I always try to get a special edition of an album if there is one . Sometimes the Vinyl instead.

But - some people are nuts. Like - I was reading the Metallica Forum just after HTSD was released and some guy bought TEN copies of the 3CD edition. TEN.

For HIMSELF. I don't get that. I plan on getting METALLICA (2021) on Cd Digipak for my collection and the vinyl for maximum audio quality (because its The Black Album Remastered!)

But that's it. I think the most i've ever spent on ONE album is £40 which was the Astonishing 4LP Box. Because it was reduced from £80 or something and it looks good in the box.

But to spend anywhere approaching £150 on one album ? Nope. Not gonna happen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: July 03, 2021, 05:44:08 AM »
There would have to be some super special reason for me to pay over £30 for an ALBUM. I always try to get a special edition of an album if there is one . Sometimes the Vinyl instead.

But - some people are nuts. Like - I was reading the Metallica Forum just after HTSD was released and some guy bought TEN copies of the 3CD edition. TEN.

For HIMSELF. I don't get that. I plan on getting METALLICA (2021) on Cd Digipak for my collection and the vinyl for maximum audio quality (because its The Black Album Remastered!)

But that's it. I think the most i've ever spent on ONE album is £40 which was the Astonishing 4LP Box. Because it was reduced from £80 or something and it looks good in the box.

But to spend anywhere approaching £150 on one album ? Nope. Not gonna happen.

150 Australian dollars.  That would have been about 80 pounds.  But I paid 120 dollars so about 65 pounds.

I don't drink, smoke, or go out eating and things like that so paying a bit more for some albums I really want is my pleasure and can easily budget for it.  It's not a regular thing but FI was a special occasion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: July 03, 2021, 05:47:43 AM »
Same here regarding frivolous spending. Because of the last 18 months i'm not in a great place financially obviously but I do have a full time job so i'm not in any real danger

but to spend that much money in one go is a no-no. Unless it's a new part for my bike for instance which is a necessity to get to work.

This is a bit of a non-sequiter but I see the younger peeps at work - buying a meal from the restaurant every day. And even with our 50% discount

it's still not cheap. And this is every day.  :( I'd rather put it aside and get something I really want.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: July 03, 2021, 06:30:34 AM »
Same here regarding frivolous spending. Because of the last 18 months i'm not in a great place financially obviously but I do have a full time job so i'm not in any real danger

but to spend that much money in one go is a no-no. Unless it's a new part for my bike for instance which is a necessity to get to work.

This is a bit of a non-sequiter but I see the younger peeps at work - buying a meal from the restaurant every day. And even with our 50% discount

it's still not cheap. And this is every day.  :( I'd rather put it aside and get something I really want.

That just depends what position you are in and it's great to be like that.  I'm like that most of the time, but you have to spoil yourself sometimes if you can.

I understand what you mean about the young guys buying food.  My young staff go out and buy lunch every shift.  They hardly ever bring something quick and cheap from home.  It blows my mind.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #1258 on: July 03, 2021, 08:05:10 AM »
I am the same here don't drink (alcohol or coffee), smoke, gamble, go out partying, no kids, divorced and have a pretty well paid job.
But there is a limited to what I'll pay for an album, although I do like fancy box sets  :metal
The most I've ever paid is the Moonsorrow https://www.discogs.com/Moonsorrow-Heritage-1995-2008-The-Collected-Works-Splatter-Edition/release/6137841
box set which I bought new from Blood Music all up cost me around $650 AU and is worth every cent.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1259 on: July 03, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
Ya know….I guess I just look at it as my hobby. I mean, if you’re into golf, how much money do you spend on golf? If you’re really into hunting, how much money do you spend on guns/ammo? If you’re SUPER into fishing, how much do you spend on gear? Or your boat?

All of these things people spend money on…there are others who think you’re completely wasting your time and money.

I don’t buy every expensive boxed set I want, and I’m certainly not rich. But I’m fortunate enough to be in a very small diminishing class that we call “middle”.  And my physical music collection is my thing. Like golf, or hunting, or fishing is for lots of guys. And I probably spend as much (more likely a bit less) on my hobby as they do theirs.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude