Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110049 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #700 on: August 15, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
Pneuma is either a) using a random outdated music theory term without any care for the meaning or b) some random reference to Gnosticism.

Or any of the other possible meanings? Quoth the Google:

"(in Stoic thought) the vital spirit, soul, or creative force of a person." - philosophy

Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is an ancient Greek word for "breath", and in a religious context for "spirit" or "soul".[1][2] It has various technical meanings for medical writers and philosophers of classical antiquity, particularly in regard to physiology, and is also used in Greek translations of ruach רוח in the Hebrew Bible, and in the Greek New Testament. In classical philosophy, it is distinguishable from psyche (ψυχή), which originally meant "breath of life", but is regularly translated as "spirit" or most often "soul".[3] - wikipedia

That's true, and the main definition that's associated with Gnosticism iirc. But even with that, I still think it's pretentious and I still don't like the title.

Mike Tyson would call it The Thempetht.

This is officially now the correct pronunciation. I declare it to be so
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #701 on: August 15, 2019, 08:27:17 PM »
 :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #702 on: August 15, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
Pneuma is either a) using a random outdated music theory term without any care for the meaning or b) some random reference to Gnosticism.

"(in Stoic thought) the vital spirit, soul, or creative force of a person." - philosophy

Pneuma (πνεῦμα) is an ancient Greek word for "breath", and in a religious context for "spirit" or "soul".[1][2] It has various technical meanings for medical writers and philosophers of classical antiquity, particularly in regard to physiology, and is also used in Greek translations of ruach רוח in the Hebrew Bible, and in the Greek New Testament. In classical philosophy, it is distinguishable from psyche (ψυχή), which originally meant "breath of life", but is regularly translated as "spirit" or most often "soul".[3] - wikipedia

That's true, and the main definition that's associated with Gnosticism iirc. But even with that, I still think it's pretentious and I still don't like the title.

Have you NEVER heard Tool?   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #703 on: August 15, 2019, 09:03:13 PM »

I was just thinking the same thing  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #704 on: August 15, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
Honestly tho I somehow keep misreading The Thempetht as "The Trumpet", which at this point is an equally valid name

Okay that is a fair point.

Altho I wonder how much of it is because of how seriously the fans take them. Like, they literally have a track that's just a slowed down recording of MJK squeezing one of his cats. Also a song called Hooker With a Penis. Maybe Tool was actually a meme band this entire time

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
Honestly tho I somehow keep misreading The Thempetht as "The Trumpet", which at this point is an equally valid name

Okay that is a fair point.

Altho I wonder how much of it is because of how seriously the fans take them. Like, they literally have a track that's just a slowed down recording of MJK squeezing one of his cats. Also a song called Hooker With a Penis. Maybe Tool was actually a meme band this entire time
It wouldn't surprise me if they came out and said they've been trolling us for the last 25 years.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #706 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Next single is an Old Town Road remix, confirmed here folks

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2019, 04:53:09 AM »
I find it shocking how little the new song has grabbed me until now.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2019, 09:33:28 PM »
For me, Tool has always been a band where their stuff always strikes me as well played and with a really cool vibe, but never had that little something that grabs me and makes me want to listen again.

Despite that, I checked out the new song and my impression was that, well, it was well played and had a really cool vibe, but didn't have that little something that grabbed me and made me want to listen again.

:( :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
I've only listened to the new song once and it didn't really do much for me.  I will wait for the album instead of repeat listenings of the song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »
I remember that The Grudge didn't really grab me until I had heard it quite a few times.  Now I can't get enough of that song.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
LOVE The Grudge. That final 35 seconds is one of (if not the) favorite passages for me in their entire discography.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
Just checked how much the new album would cost here.

114,99 €.

No thanks. Of course those bells and whistles seem nice but in the end of the day, music's what matters. This should've been a flipping limited collectors' item, not the main release. I guess I stick to streaming the album then. Hopefully the vinyl version will be more reasonably priced.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »

114,99 €.

No thanks. Of course those bells and whistles seem nice but in the end of the day, music's what matters. This should've been a flipping limited collectors' item, not the main release. I guess I stick to streaming the album then. Hopefully the vinyl version will be more reasonably priced.

€80 on pre-order, €100 without pre-order for me. I can buy like 10 CDs for that cost. I'll pass.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »

114,99 €.

But how else can you beat the 3-D packaging of 10,000 days. Make the entire album package a video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #715 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »
It’s currently about €43 on Canadian amazon. Still expensive but better than what you guys are being quoted. You’ll have to pay postage and handling on top of that obviously.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #716 on: August 22, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »

114,99 €.

But how else can you beat the 3-D packaging of 10,000 days. Make the entire album package a video.

In 18 years when Tool releases their final album, "Kinetic Insight," you'll only be able to buy the version that comes as a human-sized holographic tesseract that the listener has to stand in the center of to hear the equations of science as music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #717 on: August 22, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »

114,99 €.

In 18 years when Tool releases their final album, "Kinetic Insight," you'll only be able to buy the version that comes as a human-sized holographic tesseract that the listener has to stand in the center of to hear the equations of science as music.
This is probably not far off from the truth, including the album name. The only this is, if they made another album it would be much sooner rather than later. If we do ever get another album it will probably be in 2022 or 2023, no later.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #718 on: August 22, 2019, 07:44:53 PM »
Tool's sixth and final album will come packaged with an airborne deadly hallucinogenic virus that will wipe out humanity, and cost roughly $90 for the standard CD edition
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #719 on: August 22, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
Tool's sixth and final album will come packaged with an airborne deadly hallucinogenic virus that will wipe out humanity, and cost roughly $90 for the standard CD edition
OK, I LoL'd pretty good at that.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #720 on: August 23, 2019, 06:05:52 AM »
Sorry, this is only available as a download or a hyper-expensive limited edition CD? No standard CD release?

Brave choice, lads.

Still, could have been worse, they could have released The Astonishing... ;D
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: August 23, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »

I might buy 2 copies just to be sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #722 on: August 23, 2019, 09:26:41 AM »
Sorry, this is only available as a download or a hyper-expensive limited edition CD? No standard CD release?

Brave choice, lads.

Still, could have been worse, they could have released The Astonishing... ;D

Then the NOMAC would actually have been a real moving drone.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #723 on: August 23, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
Never really got into Tool for some reason. I respect the musicianship and as a drummer I really like Danny Carey. The music kinda all sounds the same to me. Undertow came out when I was a sophomore in high school and I've been aware of their music since then. Hearing the new song, I was thinking that it sounds like the rest of their stuff.

Why do they take so long to release material?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #724 on: August 23, 2019, 10:10:24 AM »
Why do they take so long to release material?

Because they're so successful (at least in America) that they don't need to release material frequently, and they don't want to.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:21:08 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #725 on: August 23, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
Is the title track really the opening track?

I really like that song and everything, but I think it would be better served a couple tracks deeper into the album. Songs like the The Grudge and Vicarious are quick and to the point, drawing you into the album. Fear is a slow burn.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #726 on: August 23, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »

I really like that song and everything, but I think it would be better served a couple tracks deeper into the album. Songs like the The Grudge and Vicarious are quick and to the point, drawing you into the album. Fear is a slow burn.
apparently it is yes, but what are we to know (and judge) when we've only been given a chance to listen to that piece only? Well, it will unfold in a week's time from now.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Rob24

« Reply #727 on: August 24, 2019, 05:03:43 AM »

Why should they need to follow the same formula though? It could just be a different way of starting a record.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #728 on: August 24, 2019, 05:05:43 AM »
Already a week away. Hope I get my cd early. Or else I'll just stream it.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: August 24, 2019, 07:00:13 AM »
I'm going to stream as I'll be on vacation when my cd comes.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #730 on: August 24, 2019, 07:28:54 AM »
I'm going to stream as I'll be on vacation when my cd comes.
yeah I'll gladly take the Hi res download version, I'm sure it will be cheaper than 100$ (or the equivalent) and longer (87 minutes as opposed to 79, and 10 pieces on the album as opposed to 7)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: August 24, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

Tool - Stinkfist/We Are Never Getting Back Together.  Better than the one done for DT.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #732 on: August 24, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

Tool - Stinkfist/We Are Never Getting Back Together.  Better than the one done for DT.
I can't believe how well this works... :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jammindude