Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110021 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
Hey guys, I thought this was the best place to post this. There's a new album called Legend of the Seagullmen that includes Danny Carey and Brent Hinds from Mastodon. I listened to it the other day and it's interesting. Thought some of you might want to check it out.

I spaced this out. Didn't know it was out already.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #386 on: April 26, 2018, 09:00:54 PM »
THE WAIT IS OVER!!!!!

No date yet.....and this is not a full song, heck it's really only a teaser....but THERE IS NEW MUSIC FROM TOOL!!!!!!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/tool-debut-new-music-in-tour-promo-video/
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #387 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
THE WAIT IS OVER!!!!!

No date yet.....and this is not a full song, heck it's really only a teaser....but THERE IS NEW MUSIC FROM TOOL!!!!!!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/tool-debut-new-music-in-tour-promo-video/
I wouldn't call this new music. This song has been floating around for a few years now. They've been playing it in concert. And something tells me this won't be on the new album either.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #388 on: April 27, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
I hope that's not on the album, cause that sounds like them just dicking around. That doesn't sound like a song that took years to meticulously put together.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #389 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Yup to both
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #390 on: April 27, 2018, 12:03:14 PM »
I was gonna say...pretty sure I'd heard that before.

Them releasing that as a teaser does not bode well for my non-existent expectations.  :lol

"Here is a song we've been playing live and have had in the works for a while but are now releasing as a teaser because we have nothing else" is what that says to me. Why...would you release a song you've played more than a few times and that has been in the media already for an album that has only gotten *Insert Semi Famous Person* says new Tool album is "totally radtacular". Seems, at the very least, a poor choice; at worst, speaks to their lack of faith in their own work (or lack thereof). I'd think they'd want to release snippits of a the album itself...like most bands do when a new album is in the works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #391 on: April 27, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »
 I guess I’m late to the party. I had not heard this song. But the other glimmer of hope I got from that article is that Maynard has actually written the lyrics and the melodies. So now it’s just a matter of properly recording the demos and recording the vocals. At this point, I do sincerely believe that we will have a new Tool album within the year.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #392 on: April 27, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »
I guess I’m late to the party. I had not heard this song. But the other glimmer of hope I got from that article is that Maynard has actually written the lyrics and the melodies. So now it’s just a matter of properly recording the demos and recording the vocals. At this point, I do sincerely believe that we will have a new Tool album within the year.

They could possibly wrap up the recording before they head out for that clinic tour they are doing.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
The problem with that is he has said things like this before over the last 3 or 4 years...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #394 on: April 27, 2018, 07:24:40 PM »
I can’t recall anything remotely as concrete as what’s been coming out recently confirming that they are actually in the studio recording the new album. I therefore choose to be optimistic and would take Tool “dicking around” with MJK’s incredible vocals over the top of it above most bands I listen to.

The new A Perfect Circle album is not perfect but the joy of hearing MJK sing for the first time in so many years (I’ve never really tried Puscifer) makes it eminently listenable to me. Tool will be another level again.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »
Every track will be at least 10 minutes?? So either there will only be 6 or 7 tracks, or it’ll be a double album!

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tool-members-hold-their-first-music-clinic/

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »
I really wish I could attend one of these clinics, and I really don't want my heart broken, I want this album to come out soon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »
Every track will be at least 10 minutes?? So either there will only be 6 or 7 tracks, or it’ll be a double album!

reminds me of that rumor a few years back that said every track would be over 20 minutes and it'd be double album :V

not holding my breath

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »

All I see in this article is the last line. "will arrive either later in 2018 or early next year." So basically never... ::)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/maynard-calls-on-tool-bandmates-to-finish-new-album

This band are an absolute joke...

I saw that this morning. Any minimal amount of hope we had should vanish now
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
I didn’t really think it had any impact on my thinking towards release. It seemed more lighthearted. Danny’s parts are already done I thought?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »
I didn’t really think it had any impact on my thinking towards release. It seemed more lighthearted. Danny’s parts are already done I thought?
They've said stuff like this many times before though....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
I agree that it seemed like more of a lighthearted jab.   I know it's been frustrating, and I know they are taking too long....but I do believe that they are really where they say they are in the process.   They had to get through some stuff, and now they are through it, and they are at the next phase.   

I still think it might take another year or two (which is still longer than it should be) but I honestly believe it's coming.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
The one thing I do think is that waiting this long to release a new album and with so many false starts, it does do them a sort of disservice, and I think Maynard has hinted at this. They’re pushing themselves to create a masterpiece or second guessing themselves and in the end people lose interest. They’ll always draw a crowd with their shows, it’s one of the best I’ve seen, but I’m not expecting anything groundbreaking or something they’ll be remembered for—I feel like they already hit that peak awhile ago.

Or maybe they’ll release a new album and teenagers will think it’s some new group and the music will speak to them and draw in a whole new fan base.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #405 on: May 17, 2018, 10:28:50 PM »
Adam has posted a few pics from the studio on his Instagram. It does seem from them that Danny's stuff is done. Last I read somewhere, Justin was next followed by Adam and then Maynard.

He's got a pic of Danny recording drums and a pic of Danny and Joe in front of a board 'dialing in the drums'.

I'm being less pessimistic and saying it is finally progressing.

That Maynard thing absolutely looks like Maynard being Maynard and poking the bear for fun.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: June 12, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »
See some new music as in a 10 second clip on youtube :lol

If it comes out, I look forward to listening to it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #408 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
He said "see" new music, but he didn't say "hear" knew music. Nice try Maynard...

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
I wish they stop posting things, and just release the danm thing already

Offline Skeever

« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Whelp, looks like Maynard's gonna make the #MeToo list.
So much for Tool.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #411 on: June 26, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »
Whelp, looks like Maynard's gonna make the #MeToo list.
So much for Tool.
At this point I call these things a crapshoot. Maybe he weathers it and maybe he's crucified, and I can find no rhyme or reason as to how these things play out. Flip a coin, maybe? As for my own opinions, one is that I have no reason to believe or disbelieve her story. I would assume that parts of it are true and parts of it are not. I'm not willing to nail somebody up over that, and neither should anybody else. My other opinion will very likely show up in P/R when this inevitably pops up in the Weinstein thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
I don't know about her story but I was a member of APC/Tool forums in the early 00s and I actually do recall knowing or unknowing groupies occasionally posting the stories of disappointing encounters with MJK so I was not surprised to see this when I saw it, in fact it reminded me of a lot of things I'd forgotten I'd read.

Offline Thrustbucket

« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
As someone that is highly skeptical of much of the #metoo movement, I do believe this one. That's because I use to know a girl that worked for a rather large venue that hosted concerts all the time. She knew I liked Tool and mentioned to me one time that Maynard was notorious for doing what this lady on twitter described. He would, at every show, pick a girl to have sex with and his entourage would make it happen. Actually, the way she told it to me was that she had personally seen several young girls being lead to a room with just maynard all at once. What happened after that, everyone assumed or guessed. My friend didn't think that much of it because she said a lot of rock stars behave like this, and their fans are fully complicit. In fact, supposedly Joan Jett use to do it with men.

Of course, this was about 13-15 years ago.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2018, 03:46:49 PM »
If he actually did it, then that's incredibly lame. But as with all accusations, I leave it to the police to arrest him and the court to try him, examine the evidence and then make a decision. 

I could see him doing some shit like that, but my random opinion is not enough to convict someone of a crime.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
In regards to the metoo, I can't say this would surprise me if true. Multimedia business (be it producers, actors, rockstars) has been a goddam cesspool for like over a millennium long and I am willing to bet there is truth to a lot of the metoo cases, if not most. I do think the entertainment industry is long overdue for a cultural change and in that sense I think metoo is effective in the long run. I know (beginning) actors and people involved in multimedia production in my own country and yeah... there are a lot of creeps out there. Still, I think some skepticism is not out of place either, as I have witnessed two very ugly breakups that led to false rape accusations. So yes, that does happen as well, alltough the context in those cases is different. I can't possibly know this one is true or not, so I am not going to change my perception of Tool. But in the end I hope all rapists get their punishment. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:57 PM »
In fact, supposedly Joan Jett use to do it with men.

Sign me up!   I thought she was hot back in the day (and isn't exactly gross now).  Though I don't believe that story, no offense.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
I read the original article, and I want to make one thing very clear. 

I think that speaking out is a good thing...because it takes away the veil that creeps hide behind, which is “plausible deniability”.     Once you actually speak up and say no, and educate and encourage others to speak up and say no if you find yourself in this situation, this veil of plausible deniability disappears. 

That being said, by this girls own admission, she went along with it without protesting.....Yes, she did so out of fear.   (Honestly, there are stories about JFK that play out exactly the same way....I mean, how do you say no to the POTUS???).   But still, it creates a situation where it is IMPOSSIBLE to *prove* that you didn’t consent.      I understand that fear can freeze you....but that’s why it is important that we teach everyone to SPEAK UP!!   Because if you don’t, we honestly don’t have anything tangible to base the accusation on.     I’m not even saying it wasn’t rape....I’m just saying that there is no reasonable universe in which we can PROVE it’s rape unless you speak up!!!   If you speak up after the fact, it may help someone in the future....so please, don’t stop speaking up.   Don’t think it does nothing just because you can never prove it.   Because you can at least teach the next person to be on their guard so that maybe they will speak up.    But without saying anything in the moment....you’ve got nothing.   I’m not even saying it’s right....it”s just reality.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »
Isn't there a legal term and/or definition for that whole "just because you didn't explicitly scream "no" over and over doesn't mean it's not rape", specifically in regards to a military superior forcing an underling into a sexual act? I mean I'm sure it pertains to other situations, but I've heard of more than a couple stories regarding military personnel forcing those that serve them into sexual acts.

Either way, it's shitty to hear about. This whole revolution has really been insane. It's one of those things that everyone either was totally ignorant and blind to, or knew but didn't care because it wasn't out in the open. Now it is and there's this sensation that the famous are now pretty much broken into two halves: those that abuse and those that haven't (or haven't gotten caught...)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #419 on: June 29, 2018, 05:35:13 AM »
As someone that is highly skeptical of much of the #metoo movement, I do believe this one. That's because I use to know a girl that worked for a rather large venue that hosted concerts all the time. She knew I liked Tool and mentioned to me one time that Maynard was notorious for doing what this lady on twitter described. He would, at every show, pick a girl to have sex with and his entourage would make it happen. Actually, the way she told it to me was that she had personally seen several young girls being lead to a room with just maynard all at once. What happened after that, everyone assumed or guessed. My friend didn't think that much of it because she said a lot of rock stars behave like this, and their fans are fully complicit. In fact, supposedly Joan Jett use to do it with men.

Of course, this was about 13-15 years ago.

Rock stars having sex with groupies backstage is not unusual I wouldn’t have thought. There’s plenty of stories about that.

If this girl was raped of course, that’s totally different but I’m not sure we can use some anecdotal evidence that he used to take groupies back to his trailer and have sex with them to try and make out MJK is any worse than any other rock star. I’m sure the likes of Bon Jovi, Van Halen, GNR etc had girls lining up outside their dressing rooms for that purpose.

Will say again for clarity though that I am not in any way condoning MJK if he has raped someone, just that the behaviour your friend described is not an indication of that, just an indication that he is a typical sleazy rockstar who is not gonna turn down sex from hot girls if they are prepared to sleep with him. I’m pretty sure that’s why a lot of people want to become rockstars in the first place, to get loads of hot girls.