Author Topic: TOOL Official Thread.  (Read 110024 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: TOOL : Still No Album. V Who Gives A Crap?!
« Reply #280 on: March 01, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
Okay, so the next album ten years after the last seems realistic at this point.

Maybe.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2015, 07:11:07 AM »
I don't in any way expect it to happen, but wouldn't it be amazing if, after ten years of fluffing, they pulled off the album of their careers?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
Maybe it's a concept album, and the amount of time they've taken is part of the concept.

TOOLhood.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
Maybe it's a concept album, and the amount of time they've taken is part of the concept.

TOOLhood.

TOLOL

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
I'm curious to see if Tool waits so long to release a new album that it affects sales and interest in the band.  You know, like with GNR's Chinese Democracy.  I think Tool would sell well regardless of the amount of time that passes though.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jammindude

« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »
I'm curious to see if Tool waits so long to release a new album that it affects sales and interest in the band.  You know, like with GNR's Chinese Democracy.  I think Tool would sell well regardless of the amount of time that passes though.

The dismal sales of Chinese Democracy had nothing to do with how long it took to release and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it was an Axl Rose solo album in disguise.    No one cared anymore because even if the legal entity "Guns n Roses" technically still existed, the band that everyone loved had broken up. 

With Tool, that is not the case.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2015, 02:50:05 PM »
Good point!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

TOOLhood.

:lolpalm:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »

The dismal sales of Chinese Democracy had nothing to do with how long it took to release and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that it was an Axl Rose solo album in disguise.    No one cared anymore because even if the legal entity "Guns n Roses" technically still existed, the band that everyone loved had broken up. 

Well Axl is a Tool and that didn't help sales.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »

I cared. so did Curtis Holden aka SoCalledFriend.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

I didn't think I would need to clarify this but... I obviously didn't mean "no one" in the absolute sense.   I meant "no one" in general.   As in, near enough to no one to be effectively no one.     Sortof like .9 into infinity may not be technically 1, but it's effectively 1.     

But then again...why do I feel like I just opened a completely off topic mathematical "can of worms".   :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »

I didn't think I would need to clarify this but... I obviously didn't mean "no one" in the absolute sense.   I meant "no one" in general.   As in, near enough to no one to be effectively no one.     Sortof like .9 into infinity may not be technically 1, but it's effectively 1.     

But then again...why do I feel like I just opened a completely off topic mathematical "can of worms".   :rollin

:)
I know, man. not sure why I felt the need to chime in.
guess I just get excited when I see Chinese Democ mentioned. probs subconsciously feel the need to make sure its known I groove on that isht.
not that anyone here gives a rat's ass what I think.

as for Tool, I don't mean to be negative, but the legal issues feel like a poor excuse. (scooter accidents is another story).
I always harken back to J.C. figuring they'd only take 3 years to put out another one 'this time around' in an interview circa the release of 10000 Days. so much for that pipe dream.
to clarify, my pipe dream, not J.C.'s. ...well, possibly his too.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
Well, I think unless you know all the details it's unfair to say it's a poor excuse. I've fortunately never been involved in any litigation, but I've heard that it can be pretty exhausting and horrible. Also, considering the nature of the legal issues I don't blame them for wanting it to be sorted before releasing new material.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tool-settles-legal-issues-resumes-work-on-new-music/

TOOL Settles Legal Issues, Resumes Work On New Music

TOOL has settled the "multi-level lawsuit" that started in 2007 when a friend of the band claimed that he had created artwork for the group and wanted credit for it. Then an insurance company that TOOL had hired for the sole purpose of defending the band against lawsuits turned around and sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band countersued the insurer, with the case finally being resolved in their favor after seven years.

"It got really ugly and shameful," TOOL guitarist Adam Jones told Yahoo! Music. "This is a real simplification of the matter — but imagine paying auto insurance, getting into a wreck, and expecting the insurance company to cover you. And they come back to you and say, 'Well, you drive an SUV and we don't consider that an auto so we're not going to cover you.' And then they turn around and sue you because you want them to cover you. It's crazy."

Jones also revealed that one of his bandmates was forced to deal with a medical issue, which further impeded TOOL's progress in crafting material for a new studio album,

"I'd rather let the person who dealt with the illness talk about it out of respect," Jones told Yahoo! Music

image: https://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png
. "But one thing was a really scary do-or-die, serious illness and that was really scary. When you're trying to write music and you have that eating away at you — this person you're married to and you love and hate at the same time has something they're dealing with that's out of their control — it's distracting."

According to Adam, the instrumental members of TOOL — Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor and drummer Danny Carey — have finished writing one as-yet-untitled song for the band's upcoming album, with more than 10 other tracks in various stages of completion.

"Our greatest strength is jamming and coming up with stuff," Jones said. “We're doing that really well now and I'm excited about everything we're working on. Some of it's really heavy, some of it's complex and some is more atmospheric, but it's definitely TOOL. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done."

Although Jones hopes the next TOOL album will be finished and ready for release before the end of the year, there is no deadline by which the band has to deliver the follow-up to 2006's "10,000 Days".

"We're older guys now," he told Yahoo! Music. "Everyone kind of has their own life, and the fire that burned in us when we were in our 20s isn't there anymore. There's still a fire, it's just a different kind of fire. So of course, we're writing and working hard, but we've gotten to a point where we're relaxed and we're meeting occasionally to get the writing done instead of every day. But I feel like every day we work on the songs is a productive day and we're getting closer and closer to finishing them."
[\quote]

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2015, 12:27:52 PM »
Just saw this on Facebook:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:59 PM »
Brilliant.  :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »
 :rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
That's my favorite Tool-related meme I've seen, and there are a lot of good ones  :lol

Gah Lateralus is soo good. I only very rarely listen to it these days, but I'd be hard pressed to find 5 albums that I think are better.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #300 on: March 16, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »
 :lol, that's awesome!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2015, 06:42:18 AM »
I saw that pic ( it's not a meme ) on the Metallica forum ages ago :p

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »
Just saw this on Facebook:

Glorious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:36 PM »
Well, I think unless you know all the details it's unfair to say it's a poor excuse. I've fortunately never been involved in any litigation, but I've heard that it can be pretty exhausting and horrible. Also, considering the nature of the legal issues I don't blame them for wanting it to be sorted before releasing new material.

Okay, so even if they wanted the issues resolved before releasing new material, sure whatever, that's fine and dandy...but they coulda had 3+ albums written/recorded in the meantime.
That being said, I s'pose health issues and a lessened desire are a legit excuse for not writing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:41 PM »
Honestly, whatever the fuck they use as an excuse is legit because the band is not obligated to write new material. I'm not sure why some people seem to think they're owed an album.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2015, 07:55:42 AM »
Exactly my sentiments as well. They've got other interests and pulls in life.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2015, 12:11:36 PM »
Yup. Sometimes you just don't have the drive to create, and I'd rather wait 10 years for a great album that they're proud of than get 1-2 half-assed albums.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
I can see how it can be taken that way, but don't lump me in with the fans that feel like they're owed another album. For as much as I've been into the band (especially back in the day), I'm perfectly fine with never getting another album out of them...Ive got more than enough bands I'm into to satiate my hunger for new tuneage.

I DO, however, feel like I'm owed a new Volto! record...and a new Fusion Syndicate album with Chancellor playing on one song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2015, 07:44:55 AM »
Honestly, whatever the fuck they use as an excuse is legit because the band is not obligated to write new material. I'm not sure why some people seem to think they're owed an album.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

But having said that, if their excuse for not releasing a new album in a century was their legal proceedings, not sure why they haven't been a little more productive in at least writing during that time, so a new album could drop relatively soon after the end of those proceedings.

None of my business, I just don't get it.  But I don't have to get it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »
I know for me - if i'm having a bad time in my personal life - I sure don't want to sit down with a guitar and create.

In fact i'd rather do anything else.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »

Reminds me of Neil Gaiman telling people complaining about George RR Martin's work habits that "George Martin is not your bitch."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »

Reminds me of Neil Gaiman telling people complaining about George RR Martin's work habits that "George Martin is not your bitch."  :lol
Yeah, but sometimes I think that Martin is slow just to be slow.  He gets slower all the time.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2015, 11:55:48 AM »
On the topic of GoT:

About six or seven years ago, I read accounts online of this great new fantasy that was redefining the genre, basically the biggest step away from established stereotypes and tropes since it had been settled in LOTR.

Though overjoyed, I looked it up and saw it was four books out of seven complete. I’m a pretty slow reader, so I decided then to wait until the series was finished, or at least the last book had been announced, before I started reading. (Otherwise, what would probably have happened was I’d finish the first four, then when the final three were written, I’d have forgotten so much that I’d have to go back and re-read before I could continue, but because I’m so slow, I wouldn’t have the patience to retread thousands of pages, and I’d just never finish it).

I’ve now been desperately avoiding GoT spoilers for seven long years - and because of the TV show, there are spoilers EVERYWHERE. And my wait might not even be half over yet.

Before you ask why I don’t just watch the TV show: I’m a snob and like my literature and refuse to let my reading experience be tainted by watching a shitty watered down adaptation.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
I know for me - if i'm having a bad time in my personal life - I sure don't want to sit down with a guitar and create.

In fact i'd rather do anything else.

I'm like the total opposite. When everything is awful, that's like really the only time I can write. I guess its an art from adversity thing for me. At the very least, then's when my best stuff comes out, when I just need to vent through an instrument.

But I definitely understand what you mean though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
Before you ask why I don’t just watch the TV show: I’m a snob and like my literature and refuse to let my reading experience be tainted by watching a shitty watered down adaptation.
BTW, it's not shitty or watered down.